Goodbye Jesus

Tapping

Sunny49

Hi everyone!

I just stumbeld on a site about the tapping technique and wanted to share it with you. This technique removes all the negative emotions and beliefs and helps us gain emotional freedom. It's really fun and it works! I felt really relaxed and renewed after it! And it's not some New Age nonsense.

Give it a try!

Here's the link:

http://www.tapping.com/

• Super Moderator

Damn. I thought this would be about tapping your foot in public restrooms.

Wow I actually watched 5 minutes of that shit till my daughter came in and said Why are you tapping yourself? Wendyloser.gif

A bunch of my friends have gotten into EFT. I haven't tried it yet, but it seems to really help them. It seems odd, but whatever. They're happy.

P

An instruction manual on how to tap yourself, huh? "Tap Yourself Free!" I don't imagine there are people who have to pay to be able to do that . . .

*tap dances out of thread*

I can see how it would help some people even without any woo woo. It's a ritual. Rituals can be comforting. As for the tapping itself this distracts the mind from whatever was causing the emotional pain. No woo woo required. Sure it's silly but so is having an emotional breakdown. Which is worse having people think you are nuts because you tap yourself or have people think your are nuts because you act bat shit crazy? The same applies to self talk.

Ritual + something physical. This weekend, someone who follows something called "The Michael Teachings" told me that in her belief system, there are three ways we react to the world-- intellectual, emotional and physical--and one or sometimes two of them are usually dominant reactions. When we get into a real mess in our lives, the way out is to engage and grow the weakest of those reactions. For me, I react to the world most often with responses that are, at core, emotional or intellectual. Meanwhile, I almost trying to dissociate from my physical body (escape the physical manifestations of suffering, essentially--it never works). One of many things that has helped me the last several years during crisis is to do a lot of yoga, breath awareness, and even dance (very new for me) etc.That physical part needs to be more active in times of coping and healing. So, it's interesting in that way. I would probably respond well to EFT, too. I'm curious. It's neat to hear it yield good experiences for so many people.

Phanta

For me, I react to the world most often with responses that are, at core, emotional or intellectual. Meanwhile, I almost trying to dissociate from my physical body (escape the physical manifestations of suffering, essentially--it never works).

I know exactly what you mean. It's like playing peekaboo, and hoping that if I can't see the bad things in life that they'll go away. Seems to be at the core of my anxiety issues. Trying to work through it, I've actually found myself wondering if feeling the normal pains of living is really a better option than the numbness/static that I feel when the anxiety kicks in. I can certainly see the usefulness in having a physical ritual to connect myself with my body, especially something physical that I don't assocate with negative emotions, so that being mindful of my body isn't such a terrifying prospect.

Yeah. Peekaboo. I also wonder about the whole just experiencing the pain thing. Hiding from it seems to cause it's own sort of abuse. I have been reading a little bit about dissociation, and I don't do that full on, but I want to, you know? Like...I'm just beating myself up to get out of my own skin all into some distant intellectualization of everything.

Don't get me wrong, my intellect has been a great tool for helping me out of life's messes, but intellect alone won't do it. Emotional discharge alone won't do it. Engaging the physical seems to have to happen...some kind of balance.

My favorite physical cope is exploring movement in free/unconditional dance communities. By far, I process the most there. I explore all sorts of movements there and can even explore in front of a mirror, like a kid. I love it. And there's always someone doing weirder stuff than me, so I'm not self-conscious. Yoga is next. There seems to be a ton of ways to do it. I had a boyfriend years ago who would go out for a run when he was stressed. Even when he was sick. He always came back fresher...whole. I wonder what tools you'll find on your journey.

Phanta

I have done EFT before, and it seemed to have a positive effect on me. I don't know; it could be that it's nothing more than pseudoscience. I didn't give it enough time and effort to really know if it works, however.

Yeah. Peekaboo. I also wonder about the whole just experiencing the pain thing. Hiding from it seems to cause it's own sort of abuse. I have been reading a little bit about dissociation, and I don't do that full on, but I want to, you know? Like...I'm just beating myself up to get out of my own skin all into some distant intellectualization of everything.

Never talked to a professinal about this particular issue, but a few years ago when I described my thought processes to a friend, I was told that I had some very worrysome tendencies towards dissociation. Sometimes I've even split myself into separate parts when just getting "myself" away from the physical wasn't enough. It does work, somewhat, temporarily, but... I got lonely. There were other factors in deciding that was an unhealthy way to live, but I don't have telepathy and the only way to interact with other humans is though the physical mediums of speech and sight (even ignoring touch). So if I wanted to not be alone, I had to come back and face the pain. It took some practice to have good friends, too, because I have some serious trust issues (combined with trouble setting and enforcing boundaries, which meant much of my experiences with people were of getting hurt).

• 4 weeks later...

Well, this is not scientifically proven, but allegedally it "resets" you. Tapping yourself on the nerve ends stimulates nerves, that's why you feel refreshed. I did it only once and it helped. I just don't like that they advertise the book "The secret" on their site which is New Age bullshit in the same time claiming they are not New Age. It's kind of suspicious to me.

• Like 1

I remember seeing a demonstration of this several years ago — by Counselor Deanna Troy on "Startrek the Next Generation"! So, I guess it's not really a newly discovered technique.