Goodbye Jesus

Have You Ever Been To A Psychic Medium?

Mudhoney

I have to say, it really irks me when people on here say with certainty that things are a lie, or a scam, or something doesn't exist.

You would think, having broken free from a mindset that states with such certainty that things are a certain way, that a person might be open to the possibility that things might not be quite as they think they are.

Every persons life experience is different.

To the original poster, I'd suggest listening to your gut and not your brain and more to the point, forming your own opinion based on your own spirit and not based on people on a forum. I can't help but feel like people get so hurt by religion that they decide that everything must be a sham.

• Like 4

LOL that cat video is SO true!

Well, I had another reading with this psychic and he told me some things that could be true or not true, depending on how you look at it (about my personality and things that could possibly happen in the future). I have decided to be skeptical of this particular person, but not be skeptical of all things mystical, kwim? I'm just going to take a step back from searching in this particular area and just read about everything that interests me.

I made the mistake of telling a family member about the psychic and she was less than thrilled. She identifies as xtian but I thought she was the nominal, Easter & Christmas only type but I was wrong! This might get around to the other family members so I am nervous about how this holiday season is going to go. My family is full of fundies! :(

Dualism, lol.

As if something can interact with something else while having nothing in common...

Dualism, lol.

As if something can interact with something else while having nothing in common...

Can you elaborate?

Dualism, lol.

Can you elaborate?

http://www.niu.edu/~gpynn/322_H9.pdf

If A and B are distinct, they are distinct either in virtue of their attributes or their

2modes (1p4). Thus if A and B are distinct but share their attributes, they must have

different modes. If A and B can be conceived as distinct through their modes, A and B

can be conceived through their modes. But a substance cannot be conceived through

its modes (1p1). So if A and B are distinct but share their attributes, they cannot be

conceived of as distinct. Thus there is be no explanation for their distinctness, but by

the psr there must be. So if A and B are distinct they must differ in their attributes.

Hence no two substances can share an attribute (1p5)

and

For A to cause B is for A to explain B; for A to explain B is for B to be conceived

through A; thus, for A to cause B is for B to be conceived through A. Thus, if a

substance were caused by something else, it would be conceived through something

else. But substance is conceived through itself, not something else (1d3). So substance

is not caused by something else (1p6c). Substance, then, is self-caused, which means

(1d1) that it is part of the nature of substance to exist (1p7).

I have to say, it really irks me when people on here say with certainty that things are a lie, or a scam, or something doesn't exist.

Santa doesn't exist.

Hmmm... Somehow I don't feel closed-minded or even closed to the possibility of new ideas or anywhere near the type of denial I was in when I was a believer.

Or is it just sacred cows like psychics that we can't make these statements about?

• Like 1

Sorry to have irked you. However let me clarify a few things. I did not say all psychics are telling lies, running a scam or their powers do not exist. I called a specific psychic a scam based on certain "tells" mentioned in the OP. The primary one is the focus on giving the psychic money. That is a big red flag. You may have noticed that I recommended and directed the original poster to someone who does not ask for money. Even though I don't personally believe in the spiritual explanation of chakras I do recognize the benefits of some rituals.

You would think, having broken free from a mindset that states with such certainty that things are a certain way, that a person might be open to the possibility that things might not be quite as they think they are.

What I have tried to do away with is magical thinking and putting weight in ideas that cannot be supported. Of course there are things in this universe that are very much unlike my understanding. Every once in a while an idea is true even though we can't prove it.

Cold reading.

You feel what the person says is tailor made for you, but is it?

How many of us have lost a pet? I'd say the large majority. That someone has lost a dog is a very safe assumption to make.

And anyone above a certain age is going to have human losses in their lives. I have lost my grandmother, my cousin, various family friends, great grandparents, an uncle.

What you are receiving is non-specific information. The psychic is making guesses, reading your body language, and moving on from there.

The second part of the last video:

Thank you for the videos Jessie. I'm pretty sure I got scammed with this one.

Santa doesn't exist.

Hmmm... Somehow I don't feel closed-minded or even closed to the possibility of new ideas or anywhere near the type of denial I was in when I was a believer.

Or is it just sacred cows like psychics that we can't make these statements about?

Actually, you can say anything you like, I just said it irks me. And it relates to all things spiritual, or unknown. And technically, Santa does exist. In almost every household, at charity drives, in homeless shelters... Just because something may not exist in the way that we imagined it, or related to it, doesn't mean it doesn't at all.

Doesn't mean it does, either. But that's entirely the point. Last I checked, we really were not all knowing.

Actually, you can say anything you like, I just said it irks me.

Why does it irk you?

And it relates to all things spiritual, or unknown. And technically, Santa does exist. In almost every household, at charity drives, in homeless shelters... Just because something may not exist in the way that we imagined it, or related to it, doesn't mean it doesn't at all.

Saying "Santa doesn't exist" does not rule Santa out as a marketing scheme. It refers only to the myth of Santa. If I say "the Easter Bunny doesn't exist" I'm not talking about a product icon. Of course Santa and the Easter Bunny are among the greatest marketing tools. When people are talking about myths that does not apply to other contexts. God and Jesus are also strong marketing tools. Write a book about God and Jesus and you can sell quite a bit of them even if they are poorly written. Likewise when I say some psychic over there is a con artist that does not say anything about you or someone else.

Doesn't mean it does, either. But that's entirely the point. Last I checked, we really were not all knowing.

True but there are a few things we can know. Among the unknown Occam's razor helps us to evaluate which ideas are the best.

I'm all for letting people here who need spirituality have their space. But I think we are about as close to knowing as knowing can get that there is no magic, invisible fairies or people with psychic power.

Anyway, I'll bow out now.

At this point I can't say that strange things don't exist. I have have heard several ghost stories over the years from people that I know. I believe that they believe something happened to them. Now when I was a xtian I did not believe that these were ghost sightings, but were instead "demons" impersonating dead people.

This is my one ghost story that still creeps me out to this day: I was renting a room as a young adult when I woke up one morning and I couldn't move. I know about sleep paralysis and the explanations for it but that is not the weird part. I looked over a saw a figure and it was made up of a bright light and it even made sort of a pulsating, crackling sound. It was right next to the bed and I was terrified so I closed my eyes and after a few minutes I knew it was gone.

About a week later the owner of the house told me that a previous tenant had witnessed the apparition of an old lady walking from the room I was renting into the bathroom (from the vantage point of the living room). I have never forgotten this over the years and was wondering if it was just my imagination. I was a xtian at the time and since I didn't believe in ghosts I thought it was either an angel or a demon. I moved out not long after that because I was scared of the room.

Right now I am on a journey to find things out for myself. I have been spoon-fed so much garbage by the xtian church that I can't just take anyone's word as absolute truth. If I have to lose a liitle money to a pychic in order to find something out (that they really aren't real) than so be it. I have tithed tens of thousands of dollars to the evil xtian church over the years for nothing.

I'm all for letting people here who need spirituality have their space. But I think we are about as close to knowing as knowing can get that there is no magic, invisible fairies or people with psychic power.

I'm not a big believer in magic, invisible fairies, or people with powers, but I will say that I respectfully disagree with the fact that you think we are close to knowing anything. The more we learn about how this universe works, the MORE questions we have. We really have no idea if there are infinite universes out there or not, or if practically everything in this universe is made of shit we can't even see.

• Like 1

I'm not a big believer in magic, invisible fairies, or people with powers, but I will say that I respectfully disagree with the fact that you think we are close to knowing anything. The more we learn about how this universe works, the MORE questions we have. We really have no idea if there are infinite universes out there or not, or if practically everything in this universe is made of shit we can't even see.

96% of the universe is dark matter and dark energy... designations for things we don't even have the first notion of what they really are or what their purpose is. So I'd agree that "close to knowing anything" is a stretch, though I'm also with you on the "not a big believer in magic, invisible fairies, people with powers"... What I find most interesting is how often it's assumed that a "higher" reality requires magic, fairies, and "powers" and how hard it is for many to conceive of a not-totally-materialistic universe without invoking those things.

And I'm not all-knowing... maybe there IS "magic, fairies, powers," etc. But I don't personally see it that way/think so. It just feels like those things... psychics among them... are the "weak links" that are easiest to break apart by anyone with a purely mechanistic model for the universe. And someone may feel they are psychic (and may be... hell, I don't know). And someone else may have had some kind of experience with a psychic they wholly believe is genuine... who really knows? I just don't feel there is strong evidence for it. When I hear arguments for it, it just reminds me of Christian arguments. i.e. not convincing. But just because it doesn't convince me, doesn't mean it doesn't convince others. Nor does it mean i'm somehow "better" and "empirically right". I may be the one with the faulty brain wiring that just can't see it. Who knows?

• Like 4

What I find most interesting is how often it's assumed that a "higher" reality requires magic, fairies, and "powers" and how hard it is for many to conceive of a not-totally-materialistic universe without invoking those things.

Yes, exactly. Brilliant observation!

• Like 2

Yes, exactly. Brilliant observation!

Thanks! :)

Mudhoney, since you're the original poster, I don't mind following your own thread hijack.

I had a semi similar experience, minus the paralysis.

I was renting a trailer from a friend. I kept hearing what sounded like footsteps. The cabinet doors kept opening, at one point a door that was bolted shut that we never used slammed open on a perfectly calm night.

At the time I also thought "ghosts" were "demons." I called my girlfriend and joked with her that the place was haunted. She didn't hear the joking in my voice aparently, because she replied with, "Yeah, but don't worry about her she's nice."

She went on to explain the old woman that passed away there, and had been there ever since. She ended up moving in with me cause I was so freaked out by it, and there were many more times that I saw things like the cat rubbing against something in the kitchen when there was nothing there, or her baby crying hysterically but by the time we got to the room, she'd be smiling and laughing and playing with something. (I have a foster son, so I know babies can do funny things, this didn't fall into that category).

I'm not going to press the other issue any further since I think other posters seemed to touch on my point.

• Like 1

Not having a full understanding of the universe is an entirely different question than something such as the possibility that psychics exist. Primarily, we have zero evidence of such ability and can quite easily explain why people believe in the phenomena. I don't have to plead ignorance in lieu of just not believing there are no invisible miniature elephants living under my bed.

Mudhoney, since you're the original poster, I don't mind following your own thread hijack.

I had a semi similar experience, minus the paralysis.

I was renting a trailer from a friend. I kept hearing what sounded like footsteps. The cabinet doors kept opening, at one point a door that was bolted shut that we never used slammed open on a perfectly calm night.

At the time I also thought "ghosts" were "demons." I called my girlfriend and joked with her that the place was haunted. She didn't hear the joking in my voice aparently, because she replied with, "Yeah, but don't worry about her she's nice."

She went on to explain the old woman that passed away there, and had been there ever since. She ended up moving in with me cause I was so freaked out by it, and there were many more times that I saw things like the cat rubbing against something in the kitchen when there was nothing there, or her baby crying hysterically but by the time we got to the room, she'd be smiling and laughing and playing with something. (I have a foster son, so I know babies can do funny things, this didn't fall into that category).

I'm not going to press the other issue any further since I think other posters seemed to touch on my point.

Thank you for sharing this. There's really no logical explanation for a bolted door opening by itself. Creepy!

There were many times when I came home (before my roommate moved in), that the other door would be unlocked and sometimes open. Nothing was ever missing, so I know we weren't being robbed.

Someone suggested that the energy left behind has a memory of sorts, like muscle memory and to change the type or location of the locks, so we changed the lock and never had a problem again.

Granted, from a logical perspective, it could have been simply some kind of weird issue with the lock. It was one of those bolts that was so tight you'd have to pull the door to get it to latch, so it's hard to imagine that it somehow wiggled itself loose, but there it is. I wouldn't have believed it myself if I hadn't experienced it.

Since Christianity, I cannot believe in anything supernatural unless there is evidence or I have had a first-hand experience with it that could not be written off to coincidence or some other explanation.

The only thing supernatural I've come close to believing in is spirits, and that is only because of first-hand and familial experience with this home, though that could still be written off as shared hysteria. I'd love to write it off as bi-polarity on the part of my mother and suggestion on the part of my grandmother (who is timid and superstitious), but no, I have seen and experienced it too (maybe I think too highly of myself and I am suggestable too).

This sort of anecdotal evidence is not real evidence, so I would not hope to convince anyone else with it. Hell, I haven't yet convinced myself. There are other explanations, and some of the "encounters" were really easy to write off. And even if it was supernatural, do we know what a "spirit" is? An intelligent force? Just an energy imprint? Something else entirely?

It's easier just to say "Well, that was strange. But it really doesn't prove anything."

Posting this message is slightly embarrassing to me, but I figure I may as well.

Since Christianity, I cannot believe in anything supernatural unless there is evidence or I have had a first-hand experience with it that could not be written off to coincidence or some other explanation.

The only thing supernatural I've come close to believing in is spirits, and that is only because of first-hand and familial experience with this home, though that could still be written off as shared hysteria. I'd love to write it off as bi-polarity on the part of my mother and suggestion on the part of my grandmother (who is timid and superstitious), but no, I have seen and experienced it too (maybe I think too highly of myself and I am suggestable too).

This sort of anecdotal evidence is not real evidence, so I would not hope to convince anyone else with it. Hell, I haven't yet convinced myself. There are other explanations, and some of the "encounters" were really easy to write off. And even if it was supernatural, do we know what a "spirit" is? An intelligent force? Just an energy imprint? Something else entirely?

It's easier just to say "Well, that was strange. But it really doesn't prove anything."

Posting this message is slightly embarrassing to me, but I figure I may as well.

This is good, and this is exactly where I think I'm at right now with the "supernatural." Is there a reasonable explanation for my experiences? Maybe I was overly tired and saw something that wasn't really there? With izzytheterri's story about a bolted door opening, then that's a little harder to explain rationally. Xtinanity has had such a choke hold on my life for so many years that I don't want to rush into anything that will require me to have blind faith. If the psychic had told me, point-blank, that my Uncle Fred came through and said hello and then told me something personal that only I would know then that would be the proof I'm really looking for. Since I originally posted this topic, I am not in such a rush to prove that the spirit world exists. I'm positive that the two psychics who did my readings were scammers.