Goodbye Jesus

Evangelical corruption, abuse of trust, etc.

Guest Don'tgiveup!

Guest Don'tgiveup!

As my former brothers and sisters, did you leave because you were lied to? Maybe someone made off with your money? Held you to impossible standards? Shunned you and your family for disagreeing with 'pet doctrines?' Threatened you or humiliated you for not giving enough of your time or money? Wiccans, LDS, JWs, Buddhists, Orthodox Jews, Agnostics, Aetheists, etc.: you are all welcome, as I am sure many of you have stepped into a church at one time or another. Genuine articles only, please. I'm not going to debate theology with ANYONE; but since the tag line is: Encouraging Ex-Christians, I'd like to do just that.

No, not really for me..

When I was a young kid, I called myself Christian by only the virture that I was too young to understand the greater implications. I thought it was just normal. A standard. It is when I got older that I realized what being a Christian ensued. When I found that I couldn't possibly believe that God, Jesus, Satan, Heaven, and Hell existed nor that the Bible was true anymore than I could believe that Santa Clause existed.

Nobody hurt me, per se.

There is a testimony section that you can read that will give you personal accounts of some others' deconversion, but it is read-only to Christians as it is sort of a "sacred" (for lack of a better term) place.

We do have debate sections if you are interested.

Nope, didn't leave for any of the above cited reasons. I left for intellectual reasons. Does that surprise you?

As my former brothers and sisters, did you leave because you were lied to?
Nope...
Maybe someone made off with your money?
Nope...
Held you to impossible standards?
Nope...
Shunned you and your family for disagreeing with 'pet doctrines?'
Nope...
Threatened you or humiliated you for not giving enough of your time or money?
Nope...
Wiccans, LDS, JWs, Buddhists, Orthodox Jews, Agnostics, Aetheists, etc.: you are all welcome, as I am sure many of you have stepped into a church at one time or another. Genuine articles only, please. I'm not going to debate theology with ANYONE; but since the tag line is: Encouraging Ex-Christians, I'd like to do just that.

103921[/snapback]

You're not going to find many here who can say yes to any of those... mainly because they are the rarest reasons why people are EX-Christians.

That said, and I know I'm being cynical, just what kind of encouragement are you hoping to give us?

P.s. LDS and JW's just so happen to be Christians too...

If you want to know why we left Christianity, read our testimonials. We left behind the cruel and vengeful god who loves us so much that he wants to send all non believers to eternal torment. With a god like that, who needs enemies?

I would say that the best and most welcome encouragement that I would like is to be open to understanding of our views.

I would say that the best and most welcome encouragement that I would like is to be open to understanding of our views.

103935[/snapback]

Yeah, but I've got this strange idea that the encouragement they're offering is that God/Jesus loves us...

Have I been hanging out in the Lion's Den too long?

Have I been hanging out in the Lion's Den too long?

103936[/snapback]

Total Cumulative Posts  1,491

( 6.9 posts per day / 1.44% of total forum posts )

Most active in  The Lion's Den

( 856 posts / 58% of this member's active posts )

Yep

:mellow:

<<As my former brothers and sisters, did you leave because you were lied to?>>

Yes, the bible is a lie.

<<Maybe someone made off with your money?>>

Made off with??? um no, but even the tithing was not why I left.

<<Held you to impossible standards?>>

No

<<Shunned you and your family for disagreeing with 'pet doctrines?'>>

No

<<Threatened you or humiliated you for not giving enough of your time or money? >>

No

<<Wiccans, LDS, JWs, Buddhists, Orthodox Jews, Agnostics, Aetheists, etc.: you are all welcome,>>

Welcome?? where??

<<as I am sure many of you have stepped into a church at one time or another.>>

Wiccans, LDS, JWs, Buddhists, Orthodox Jews, Agnostics, Aetheists are welcome in church???? Seriously that depends on the church.

<<Genuine articles only, please.>>

Genuinely what??? Okay maybe I am too suspicious, but what I see with this is those of us who run to you and cry please help me are genuine. Anyone not desiering of your "encouragement" is not genuine.

<<I'm not going to debate theology with ANYONE;>>

Smart choice those here that do debate tend to rip Christians to shreads.

<<but since the tag line is: Encouraging Ex-Christians, I'd like to do just that. >>

You want to encourage my being an Ex-Christian??? Seriously??

Oh and as to your nick "Don'tgiveUp" I didn't give up, I grew up.

I think this is the strangest thread on this site.

Don'tgiveup, despite the fact that you put little thought into your post, I am not annoyed. What you are doing is preaching, but it's pretty mild. Some advice: stop preaching to people who left Christianity. There are people on here who have been forever traumatized by religion. Your preaching may trigger these people to concentrate on their personal experiences. They are here to heal, and you could be making things worse.

Preaching will NEVER work. I am not telling you to give up Christianity, and that's because I know I would be wasting my time. It is impossible to preach without working to instill shame into the person you are preaching to. Personally, I am really tired of feeling ashamed because God disapproves of my actions, and I am sure many people here share my sentiments.

A friend of mine recently became a pastor at a churh. He knows I don't believe in God, but never in the 4 years I've known him has he tried to convert me. I have a deep respect for this man. He is both wise and ethical in all of his actions. He leads by example because he knows it works better than telling people the way they live/think is wrong.

I wish there were more Christians out there like him.

Don'tgiveup!, interestingly enough, all those things you say did happen to me, and had nothing to do with my faith.

I simply learned that christianity is another man made religion like JW's, Mormons, Islam, Hinduism, Baha'i, or anything. People lie to themselves and pretend it's real, study and pray and worship and tithe and it's all for nothing.

God does nothing for you that you can't do for yourself. Period. If he's going to behave like he doesn't exist, then so am I.

As for me, I liked church while I still was a christian, but I never got the slightest impression that christianity is more than a purely social construct. That all changed the very day I started reading the Poetic Edda. :shrug:

Only after deconverting to Asatru did I look at the christian death cult with a critical eye and started to realize the idiocy contained in there...

God does nothing for you that you can't do for yourself.  Period.  If he's going to behave like he doesn't exist, then so am I.

104159[/snapback]

"God helps them who help themselves." - in essence, God doesn't do shit. I'm the god in my own life.

...did you leave because you were lied to? Maybe someone made off with your money? Held you to impossible standards? Shunned you and your family for disagreeing with 'pet doctrines?' Threatened you or humiliated you for not giving enough of your time or money?

Yes, all of the above.

Wiccans, LDS, JWs, Buddhists, Orthodox Jews, Agnostics, Aetheists, etc.: you are all welcome, as I am sure many of you have stepped into a church at one time or another.

Welcome? To what - more of the same? No thank you.

Genuine articles only, please. I'm not going to debate theology with ANYONE; but since the tag line is: Encouraging Ex-Christians, I'd like to do just that.

I'm encouraged to remain as I am. Thanks for the encouragement.

Now I wonder if he'll ever return or if we managed to scare him away?

Oh well... didn't seem like too bad a guy. A little ignorant maybe, but better than some.

what a maroon....... :Doh:

Now I wonder if he'll ever return or if we managed to scare him away?

I think we did, or he never was coming back.

Oh well... didn't seem like too bad a guy. A little ignorant maybe, but better than some.

I'd say the same thing if it wasn't for the genuine article comment. That just smells of arrogance.

Guest Don'tgiveup!
Don'tgiveup!, interestingly enough, all those things you say did happen to me, and had nothing to do with my faith. 

I simply learned that christianity is another man made religion like JW's, Mormons, Islam, Hinduism, Baha'i, or anything.  People lie to themselves and pretend it's real, study and pray and worship and tithe and it's all for nothing.

God does nothing for you that you can't do for yourself.  Period.  If he's going to behave like he doesn't exist, then so am I.

104159[/snapback]

Guest Don'tgiveup!

As for me, I liked church while I still was a christian, but I never got the slightest impression that christianity is more than a purely social construct. That all changed the very day I started reading the Poetic Edda. :shrug:

Only after deconverting to Asatru did I look at the christian death cult with a critical eye and started to realize the idiocy contained in there...

104169[/snapback]

Thanks for the reply. It is good to know that you at least liked church! Simply taking an informal poll of sorts.

Guest Don'tgiveup!
...did you leave because you were lied to? Maybe someone made off with your money? Held you to impossible standards? Shunned you and your family for disagreeing with 'pet doctrines?' Threatened you or humiliated you for not giving enough of your time or money?

Yes, all of the above.

Wiccans, LDS, JWs, Buddhists, Orthodox Jews, Agnostics, Aetheists, etc.: you are all welcome, as I am sure many of you have stepped into a church at one time or another.

Welcome? To what - more of the same? No thank you.

Genuine articles only, please. I'm not going to debate theology with ANYONE; but since the tag line is: Encouraging Ex-Christians, I'd like to do just that.

I'm encouraged to remain as I am. Thanks for the encouragement.

104178[/snapback]

Oops. I meant, replies are welcome from the aforementioned as well, not back to church. What kind of church did you go to?

Guest Don'tgiveup!

I simply learned that christianity is another man made religion like JW's, Mormons, Islam, Hinduism, Baha'i, or anything.  People lie to themselves and pretend it's real, study and pray and worship and tithe and it's all for nothing.

104159[/snapback]

104368[/snapback]

I sure hope I didn't reply to this one already...still trying to get the hang of this whole "posting" ordeal. How did you learn about Christianity being another man-made religion? Was it classes you took? Some informal reading perhaps? Or maybe it was dialog?

Please read the anti-testimonies before jumping to a bunch of wild conclusions. I know it takes time on your part, but it takes time to debate as well. If you're going to spend that much time debating with us, you might as well spend it reading and getting to know us first.

As my former brothers and sisters, did you leave because you were lied to? Maybe someone made off with your money? Held you to impossible standards? Shunned you and your family for disagreeing with 'pet doctrines?' Threatened you or humiliated you for not giving enough of your time or money? Wiccans, LDS, JWs, Buddhists, Orthodox Jews, Agnostics, Aetheists, etc.: you are all welcome, as I am sure many of you have stepped into a church at one time or another. Genuine articles only, please. I'm not going to debate theology with ANYONE; but since the tag line is: Encouraging Ex-Christians, I'd like to do just that.

103921[/snapback]

Umm, DGU, "WHAT IN THE WORLD DO YOU WANT?"

You seek to "encourage" us? Exactly HOW in the name of all that is unholy do you intend to accomplish this?

We left Christianity because it makes no sense. We did the one thing NOT encouraged in church -- we THOUGHT for ourselves. We asked questions and got answers. Answers that led us AWAY from the lies and into the truth.

Any attempt on your part to CHANGE this condition is tantamount to tracking down freed slaves to do them the "favor" of putting chains back around their necks! No thanks. I can do without THAT form of "encouragement.

You seek understanding? OK. Read this:

When you understand why YOU reject all those other religions, THEN you will understand why we reject yours. We simply believe in ONE LESS GOD than you.

It has nothing to do with "hurt feelings". It has everything to do with REALITY and COMMON SENSE.

Hope this helps.

Hi Dont,

Welcome to the site. Short answers: I left christianity because I no longer believed in the religion. Check out my story under the "Old Forum" under 3/05, "sittin' on the dock of the bay."

Later dude.