Goodbye Jesus

Evangelical corruption, abuse of trust, etc.

Guest Don'tgiveup!

I sure hope I didn't reply to this one already...still trying to get the hang of this whole "posting" ordeal.  How did you learn about Christianity being another man-made religion? Was it classes you took? Some informal reading perhaps? Or maybe it was dialog?

104381[/snapback]

I can't speak for Lloyd, but for me it was personal research and classes on religion I took in college.

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.
Umm, DGU, "WHAT IN THE WORLD DO YOU WANT?"

I think he/she wants someone to say "Yes you're right, that cliche'd stereotype is sooooo me and I want to join your church and be brainwashed all over again, just cause you are right and I am a horrible terrible sinner, yada yada yada."

That's extremely unlikely to happen, at least on the public board. IMHO DGU is deluded if that's what he/she thinks is going to happen.

A lot of us tried other churches. You know why we don't believe? Because it's just like Santa Claus, the tooth fairy, and various other myths that children in our culture are encouraged to believe by their brainwashed fundy parents. Are we supposed to go to every single church in existence in America? What if we go to Canada and try all of them there? What happens, if we somehow manage to visit every single church in existence and still don't believe?

If you were sick and tired of ice cream in general and had tried 99 out of 100 flavors, would you bite into the last one just because it MIGHT be better? I would think most people wouldn't. What if they tried it and STILL didn't like it? Are they supposed to fake liking ice cream just for people like you?

Sorry, but I refuse to pretend to be someone I'm not.

:ugh:

Oops. I meant, replies are welcome from the aforementioned as well, not back to church. What kind of church did you go to?

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood. I've been to several different types of churches.

At the risk of being presumptuous and possibly misunderstanding again, I assume you are making the point that even though the church, a human institution, is corrupt, you wish to encourage us not to give up on the faith.

But consider that if the faith were true, then the church's lies wouldn't be lies, the doctrines would be valid, the money lost would be justified, and the standards would be worthy to pursue. I didn't mind those things at all when I was under the conviction that the faith was true. Bottom line, and you see it repeated here by others - it is the faith itself (the Bible, tradition, dogma) that is bankrupt. Realize this and then the teachings become lies, the doctrines become absurd, the tithes become theft, and standards become unattainable and condemning.

I left because I finally realized that if there is a god, all he does is sit on his cosmic couch all day in heaven eating celestial bon-bons while his creations down below are killing and blowing each other up on his behalf. If the guy would just step up to the plate and reveal himself in an objective manner I think half of the worlds problems would be solved, and it would be a much better place.

But more likely, he doesn't do anything because he doesn't actually exist :Doh:

The idea of Hell was the first step away, followed by my reading about other religions. Looked at all, all were a bunch o' crapola. Wasted my college years getting a B.A. in religion and philosophy looking for the "truth." Reading and studying the Bible was a great help in deconverting.

Like some of the others here, I realized God(s) don't do anything, which made me an atheist.

Severely, clinically depressed while a Christian (and later vague theist), and now I am very happy.

Welcome to Ex-C!

Hi Don'tGiveUp, welcome to Ex-C.net.

Yes, I left because I was lied to. I was told that there was a God (with all that the captial "G" implies). Imagine my chagrin when I discovered my church was lying to me all along.

I sure hope I didn't reply to this one already...still trying to get the hang of this whole "posting" ordeal.  How did you learn about Christianity being another man-made religion? Was it classes you took? Some informal reading perhaps? Or maybe it was dialog?

It varies for each of us. Personally, it was lots of research & analyzation, plenty of dialogues with people from every walk of life, tons of different churches & a little bit of this & a lot of that.

Really it comes down to just really doing the leg work, being honest with yourself, & not looking at any religion from a bias point of view.

Eventually I ended up finding every religion wanting & lacking.

The idea of Hell was the first step away, followed by my reading about other religions.  Looked at all, all were a bunch o' crapola.  Wasted my college years getting a B.A. in religion and philosophy looking for the "truth." Reading and studying the Bible was a great help in deconverting.

Like some of the others here, I realized God(s) don't do anything, which made me an atheist.

Severely, clinically depressed while a Christian (and later vague theist), and now I am very happy.

Welcome to Ex-C!

104471[/snapback]

hey another religion major, nice to meet you

• Admin

I received the following PM from Don'tgiveup!:

Please cancel subscription, Yesterday, 10:40 PM

Hello! I read your testimony, and it is certainly compelling.  It seems that  my assertions were incorrect: ex-brothers and sisters don't leave because of corruption, abuse, etc. They simply walk away because of natural reasoning and not disillusionment. This has been a very eye-opening experience! Thank you for having me.  This concludes my research...please cancel my subscription. I would do it myself, but this bloody computer still befuddles me.  Matthew

I've deleted his account per his request.

Hello! I read your testimony, and it is certainly compelling.  It seems that  my assertions were incorrect: ex-brothers and sisters don't leave because of corruption, abuse, etc. They simply walk away because of natural reasoning and not disillusionment. This has been a very eye-opening experience! Thank you for having me.  This concludes my research...please cancel my subscription. I would do it myself, but this bloody computer still befuddles me.  Matthew

If anyone can explain to me how one can become disillusioned without the use of reasoning, I'd greatly appreciate it.

104697[/snapback]

Wow, a fairly reasonable one, and not the sniper I had him pegged for.

If anyone can explain to me how one can become disillusioned without the use of reasoning, I'd greatly appreciate it.

104701[/snapback]

I think DGU mixed up delusion with disillusioned. Because it sure does sound funny. I hope we all are enlightened (disillusioned) in this group!

When you bother to register I'll bother to give a real answer.

Damn it! DGU got away! I had one shot to be an asshole to him, and I blew it!

Fuck.

Oh, well. Next time, for sure! :wicked:

DGU's experience on this site just confirms one of its strengths-- it is a major threat to the Christian's faith that many real and sincere Christians have since rejected it.

If it happened to us, it could happen to them. We (as a group) had many very good reasons to dump it, and the more time Christians spend here learning, the more cracks form in their shells. It is a scary thing to think of losing your cozy social structure, your invisible best friend, and perhaps your entire lifestyle.

I think DGU got scared and had to leave.

You're probably right, Kryten. I wouldn't be surprised at all if that were the case. If I had come across this site while I was religious, I'd probably have left after losing one debate due to my formerly circular logic.

Does this mean that Don'tgiveup!, gave up?  :scratch:

104705[/snapback]

:lmao: Good one, fwee.

This is my 73rd time saying this, and I know I'm a broken record. But..

I didn't give up. I didn't turn my back. I didn't fall away. I didn't rebel. I didn't grieve the Holy Spirit (well, maybe just a little), I didn't backslide.

I freakin escaped.

And, I'm a FREE SOMEBITCH! :woohoo::woohoo:

Wow, a fairly reasonable one, and not the sniper I had him pegged for.

104716[/snapback]

Sometimes pleasant surprises happen... ;)

DGU's experience on this site just confirms one of its strengths-- it is a major threat to the Christian's faith that many real and sincere Christians have since rejected it

If it happened to us, it could happen to them.  We (as a group) had many very good reasons to dump it, and the more time Christians spend here learning, the more cracks form in their shells.  It is a scary thing to think of losing your cozy social structure, your invisible best friend, and perhaps your entire lifestyle. 

I think DGU got scared and had to leave.

Come now, maybe DGU just found out all he wanted to know. Maybe he figured out we weren't the audience typecast he wanted to talk to, unlike certain visitors we've had around the forums who have taken an extremely long time to figure out that we aren't the right audience for what they want to say. :shrug:

104701[/snapback]

I noted his use of the term "natural" reasoning. What I think he is implying is that we left not because of abuse etc, but that we "leaned to our own understanding" shit, instead of using the eyes of faith and trusting god. Natural reasoning I think he means is human reason.

Of course if he does mean that.............. Hell yes!!! The problem was that I could not take overwhelming evidence to the contrary and simply flush it down the toilet of closed-minded preconceptions of religious thinking, uneducated, tongues-talking, heretic killing, hayseed, prudish, progress stifling idiots. So yes, unfortunately, natural (or as I prefer "simple intellegence") reasoning won over self-imposed ignorance and intellectual suicide. :grin: