Goodbye Jesus

Church Today...

Thought2Much

No, because she's never in the sound booth with me. She's usually upstairs getting ready for Sunday School.

Ugh. This is one of the things I hated most about church and "serving" in the church. My husband and I were often apart for both services. When I resigned my worship leader position, I would hang out in the sound booth with him. The sound booth is a place that definitely provides a measure of objectivity. I found it much akin to being at the helm of a big delusional ship.

I hope you're writing a book.

• Like 2

No, because she's never in the sound booth with me. She's usually upstairs getting ready for Sunday School.

Ugh. This is one of the things I hated most about church and "serving" in the church. My husband and I were often apart for both services. When I resigned my worship leader position, I would hang out in the sound booth with him. The sound booth is a place that definitely provides a measure of objectivity. I found it much akin to being at the helm of a big delusional ship.

I'm not sure how I'd structure all of this as a book. If Ex-C is around for a while (and it should be; it's got a good history behind it already), then I might be able to troll through my posts and see what I can put together. Right now everything just seems to be too random and disjointed to be put together in one cohesive volume. Plus, I'm not entirely sure of what the overall purpose of such a book would be. "I escaped, and you can too!" I don't know. It may be something I'll have to mull over in the back of my mind for a few years before deciding anything.

I love the idea of the sound booth "being at the helm of a delusional ship." It's one reason I'm glad my wife volunteered me for the position. While my deconversion had started before, being "apart" from everything in the sound booth and being able to just observe everything has certainly confirmed and reinforced my lack of belief.

I did not have a whole booth, just the headphones and the mixer before me, but they still provided a virtual separation. I could act as I was just doing a job and it certainly helped me not sleep in during sermons.

.. now I'm smiling, remembering the times I had my head bumping into something or someone because of sleeping in. I guess I could say that I was the rock'n roll rebel of the church, giving the least fuck. 58.gif

Please keep us posted, this is like reading a sociological survey and we are the experts drawing the conclusions!

• Like 1

I'm not sure how I'd structure all of this as a book. If Ex-C is around for a while (and it should be; it's got a good history behind it already), then I might be able to troll through my posts and see what I can put together. Right now everything just seems to be too random and disjointed to be put together in one cohesive volume. Plus, I'm not entirely sure of what the overall purpose of such a book would be. "I escaped, and you can too!" I don't know. It may be something I'll have to mull over in the back of my mind for a few years before deciding anything.

I love the idea of the sound booth "being at the helm of a delusional ship." It's one reason I'm glad my wife volunteered me for the position. While my deconversion had started before, being "apart" from everything in the sound booth and being able to just observe everything has certainly confirmed and reinforced my lack of belief.

I'm going to second the book idea- I think you could easily write it as just a bunch of experiences from the sound booth. Books don't necessarily have to be that structured.I'm knocking around an idea for my re-write at the moment- the soundtrack to my bipolar, something along those lines. Chronology bores me, so I'm going to mix it up a bit :)

Dear Church People,

Don't you realize that Prophet Lady gives only one "Word From The Lord?" over and over again, just with some of the words moved around? They're the same message! I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

<Insert copyrighted image of Mugatu from Zoolander here. Go look for it on YouTube if you're not familiar with the reference. And fuck you, DMCA, SOPA, and everything else like you.>

• Like 2

Dear Church People,

Don't you realize that Prophet Lady gives only one "Word From The Lord?" over and over again, just with some of the words moved around? They're the same message! I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

<Insert copyrighted image of Mugatu from Zoolander here. Go look for it on YouTube if you're not familiar with the reference. And fuck you, DMCA, SOPA, and everything else like you.>

Dammit, no points left! Honourary point here lol

Dammit, no points left! Honourary point here lol

Ha! I guess you'll just have to add it tomorrow!

Don't you realize that Prophet Lady gives only one "Word From The Lord?" over and over again, just with some of the words moved around? They're the same message!

Doesn't anyone realize how ridiculous this is?

Trapped, I wish I could give you some sort of pill to make church more bearable. I can't even imagine still having to go and endure the lunacy!

Also today, instead of the sermon by my father in-law, we had a guest speaker from India who has spoken at our church several times in the past. You see, great, great miracles are happening in India, dontchaknow. It's just too bad that none of you will ever travel there to see them actually happen. Really, it's a shame that you'll never, ever get there to see these awesome miracles for yourself, so let this guy from India tell you all about them, and you'll just have to trust him when he tells you they're not exaggerations, or just made up entirely. He was also speaking at one point about how he got his airplane seat miraculously upgraded to first class as if it equaled the parting of the Red Sea or something.

Trapped, I was laughing out loud by the end of your post. I hope that isn't the opposite of the reaction you were hoping to elicit, because the whole thing is very sad from another point of view. I feel for you.

The Indian guy reminds me of an Indonesian who came to our AoG church right after I was saved. He spoke about the great revival and outpouring of miracles in Indonesia. He referred to Mel Tari's Like a Mighty Wind and claimed to be involved in Tari's ministry. Well, that was in 1972. What's the state of Christianity in Indonesia now, I wonder... how has that great outpouring of the spirit turned out? BTW I recall that I a poor college student put $ in the offering plate when the missionary offering was taken up.

Trapped, I was laughing out loud by the end of your post. I hope that isn't the opposite of the reaction you were hoping to elicit, because the whole thing is very sad from another point of view. I feel for you.

I definitely intend for these posts to be amusing, because so much of what I experience every week is just plain silly. I'm also trying to give myself therapy through (my rather sarcastic sense of) humor. If you're laughing, then I'm succeeding!

I definitely intend for these posts to be amusing, because so much of what I experience every week is just plain silly. I'm also trying to give myself therapy through (my rather sarcastic sense of) humor. If you're laughing, then I'm succeeding!

Trapped you make me want to go back to church just to hear what they are sayin' and to see how I would handle it today?? Been 3 years for me now!! I watch for this post all the time. Hearing from you is enough to keep me home on sunday mornings!! Thanks friend!!

• Like 2

Trapped you make me want to go back to church just to hear what they are sayin' and to see how I would handle it today?? Been 3 years for me now!! I watch for this post all the time. Hearing from you is enough to keep me home on sunday mornings!! Thanks friend!!

Sometimes I think about going to church. I just want to go and sit there (at a different church to my old one), and when the alter call comes, laugh out loud, get up, say, "get fucked!", continue laughing, and walk outta there. That ought to upset the mood a little lol.

• Like 1

Oh man, I remember the good old days in the soundbooth at another church my parents went to, which btw was a cult, now we're at the AoG church again and I miss my booth. Me and this guy would sit there and make jokes about the sermon (ie: Song of Solomon=ancient pick up lines). Your experiences remind me of my church at times. I'll have to pay more attention to the "words" given and see how much they could apply to anyone.

• 1 month later...

Trapped you make me want to go back to church just to hear what they are sayin' and to see how I would handle it today

I have just read this entire thread for the first time (sorry I'm late). I missed some good stuff before joining. Margee summed it up pretty well: Trapped, you make me want to go back to church, it would be like watching the Comedy Network, but live!

Keep posting.

Trapped you make me want to go back to church just to hear what they are sayin' and to see how I would handle it today

I have just read this entire thread for the first time (sorry I'm late). I missed some good stuff before joining. Margee summed it up pretty well: Trapped, you make me want to go back to church, it would be like watching the Comedy Network, but live!

I think we should all pile in on Trapped's church for a Sunday service. Now *that* would be fun!!!

• Like 3

I think we should all pile in on Trapped's church for a Sunday service. Now *that* would be fun!!!

I would actually encourage that. If we could get a bunch of Ex-Cs in there, it would be hilarious. My in-laws would start out thinking, "Wow, there are a lot of new people here today! God is good!" Then, the insanity would begin. One person could pretend to give a message in tongues, and then another person could give a really bizaare translation. Then a second person could give a message in tongues, and a different person give a translation that completely contradicts the first message. Then, a massive argument could break out between the two interpreters, with one screaming at the other, "ANYONE WHO DOESN'T BELIEVE THE WORDS GIVEN TO ME BY GOD IS GOING TO HELL!"

Denyoz, trust me, it's not worth going. While some of it may be funny, a lot of it is just sad and pathetic. I was actually happy this past weekend because the kids were just getting over yet another cold, so I didn't have to go to church this week. It's pretty awful when I'd rather deal with sick and cranky kids than go to church for a couple of hours. There also haven't been too many updates here lately because I try to limit my exposure to everyone at church as much as possible. I don't think I can interact with anyone too much anymore before I wind up saying something that would totally blow my cover.

I like Positivist's idea, New Jersey is not that far. I can imagine the fun we could have, oh my. We could form a permanent group and go from church to church to "help" people. That would satisfy my need to do something useful for humanity.

Trapped, I'm liking your profile photo more and more as time goes by. And I laughed when I read your "there is sin in the camp" post. I don't know if you realize your father-in-law was talking about you, ha! ha! See Spiderman, with great power comes great responsibility, lol.

I also wanted to tell you that I worked 6 months in the audio recording booth at the Paul VI Center, so I know what this is about. In fact I still have tapes from that time.

I know what you mean when you say it's not really funny to watch christians worship, it's more sad and pathetic. I was watching Joyce Meyer on tv this morning and my mood took a downturn. Then I went to the dentist and it cheered me up :)

I was watching Joyce Meyer on tv this morning and my mood took a downturn. Then I went to the dentist and it cheered me up smile.png

Root canal versus Joyce Meyer..... Hmmmm. No one warned me that Christianity was that hard.

I like Positivist's idea, New Jersey is not that far. I can imagine the fun we could have, oh my. We could form a permanent group and go from church to church to "help" people. That would satisfy my need to do something useful for humanity.

This would be a great TV show, "The Agnostic Whisperers." And every week you save someone from the clutches of hardcore Religion.

• Like 2

This would be a great TV show, "The Agnostic Whisperers." And every week you save someone from the clutches of hardcore Religion.

I love it! Or, it could be like Punked, where every week you really screw with the heads of another congregation, just for the laughs.

I love it! Or, it could be like Punked, where every week you really screw with the heads of another congregation, just for the laughs.

But that wouldn't be kind of us! I'd rather help one truth seeker on their way out then mess with a whole congregation, ha!

This was a great post. I loved the part about the women who thought bad things would happen if he didn't sing her song. lol I wonder how that went. happydance.gif She must have gotten a word from the Lord.