Goodbye Jesus

Best Movies That Parody/mock/accurately Depict Christianity?

ChurchSucks

My wife and I watched a movie called "Red State" last night. Needless to say it was very enjoyable. The actors playing the religious kooks did a great job in making the viewer absolutely hate them. haha. I find the movie did a great job of depicting what Christians who actually take the Bible seriously look like. The Christians in the movie had a Bible verse to back up why they could kill the fornicators and why it wasn't murder but was the "Lord's judgment".

What are some other good movies that would tickle my anti-Christian jolly? I know there's Religulous and Dogma (directed by the same guy as Red State), but any gems?

Saved!

The speaking in tongues scene was classic.

• Like 2

Trying to find the clip, meanwhile:

[during the school assembly, Cassandra stands up and begins yelling in Spanish]

Tia: [thinking] Oh my god, the Jew girl's speaking in tongues!

[Cassandra rips open her shirt]

Roland: She's going to show her boobs! Thank you Jesus!

Patrick: [thinking] She is, she's going to show her boobs!

[looking horrified, Hilary Faye stands up at the podium]

Hilary Faye: She's saying she has a hot pussy!

[the word "pussy" is bleeped out by microphone feedback]

• Super Moderator

Religious cooks?

Anyway, I second Saved!

Ned Flanders.

religulous?

Life of Brian

• Like 3

Black Death is a serious movie that shows Christianity in a disturbing light. I liked it a whole lot.

Agora, another serious movie about the life of Hypatia and how Christians fucked up Alexandria.

The Invention of Lying, a comedy. Has a few religious themes going on there...

Other movie recommendations: http://atheistempire...ment/movies.php

I didn't like Saved! I got bored watching it...

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Paul

• Like 1

Paul

AWESOME movie! Loved the music. It was such an interesting re-interpretation/re-casting of the Homer story (not Simpson).

Paul

AWESOME movie! Loved the music. It was such an interesting re-interpretation/re-casting of the Homer story (not Simpson).

Wow. I knew there was religious music in that movie, but I didn't realize it would be classified as opposing religion. I guess I should watch it sometime.

Wow. I knew there was religious music in that movie, but I didn't realize it would be classified as opposing religion. I guess I should watch it sometime.

It's a great movie. I loved it. But I wouldn't say it opposes religion, though it has religious elements in it. It's been a while since I saw it, but here's a "Christian" movie review of it... since their focus is on god, they'll tell you straight if it is blasphemous or not. Haha.

http://www.movieguid...e-art-thou.html

(And just for fun, here is their review for The Golden Compass: http://www.movieguid...en-compass.html and one of the movies I recommended, Agora http://www.movieguide.org/reviews/movie/agora.html )

I just remember that I saw it with some old relatives during a hyper religious phase and everyone was offended … particularly John Goodman's portrayal of a carny-sounding preacher, one of them saying they wish they hadn't been saved on account of meeting the women at the lake, and the whole exaggerated southerner aspect of it all. Probably more joking about xtianity than what we here would qualify as anti-xtianity. Some good irreverence, though.

The John Goodman character wasn't a preacher figure. He was a door to door Bible salesman. It was very common in the old south and elsewhere to have salespeople going from house to house appealing to people's devotion, guilt and sense of family heritage selling Bibles. Southwestern publishers is/was a big company that sells Bibles as well as other references.

Here in Texas, we get a few "students" paying for their college by going door to door to each house every year.

The traveling Bible salesman, while not a preacher, is an institutional figure from the old South.

The name of the rose

Connery so rocks as brother William of Baskerville :yellow:

I second Life of Brian. It makes me happy.

Also, not sure this totally counts, but I still have a soft spot for the movie Stigmata. It does depict Gnostic Christianity as good, and isn't opposed to belief at all, but it sure pissed the Catholics off - and some protestants too, because, it's rude to depict a female atheist suffering like Jesus? Or something? Whatever, I like it.

OHOHOH! And Dogma. Love Dogma.