Goodbye Jesus

What Do You Guys Think Of Tim Tebow?

sethosayher

Tim Tebow is a pretty divisive player. He's seems to have become the focal point of a debate in our society (U.S.) about public faith.

I don't know what to make of him. I'm not a huge football fan at all (though recently I've been getting into it thanks to the efforts of my more sporty friends) so I don't know exactly how much he flaunts his religion during games. I have seen footage of him kneeling after touchdowns and singing christian songs when prepping for plays.

I kind of feel its ostentatious. And almost a little pushy. He has the right to express his faith...but I feel that many Christians like him cannot conceive that sometimes faith can be a private matter. He seems almost like a foot solider in a P.R. assault on america.

Didn't Jesus tell his followers not to flaunt their faith in the streets like the pharisees anyway?

• Like 1

Nothing Jesus said matters, if you're bringing tons of money into the church. Where have you been? ;)

Guest Valk0010

I could care less really since I don't follow football. But if I have to answer a question about the role of faith in public, I would say, don't be PR machine for it, its bad ethics to do that.

After last night's game, I think Jesus really may be smoothing the way for him... But hey, still children dying in the world.

I don't really care all too much that he's public about it but I think it's a bit stupid how some construe that his idiotic faith to be a positive attribute.

I couldn't care less about football. I do, however, find it baffling how god can be so involved in American football whilst ignoring the starving children yet god is also punishing Americans for not being faithful.

It's like the sheeples are constantly going in two different directions Wendyshrug.gif

• Like 2

Even when I was a Christian, I would find Tebow's behavior to be showboating for attention. He's crowd pleasing and putting the spotlight on himself. I would have called him a "Pharisee" because, as mentioned above, Jesus did directly warn about praying in public In Matthew 6:5 and other places.

He's just trying to enhance his popularity by appealing to the evangelicals in the country and establish a niche for other marketing endeavors down the road. Think of all the millions of dollars in endorsements, or possibly the political leverage he can get because America loves a white, Jesus loving quarterback.

He's practising a brand of Christianity I call "Jockianity" - jocks who find Jesus and capitalize on it.

• Like 2

I'm re-thinking my position on divine intervention. There's no other explanation for Denver beating Pittsburgh.

Even when I was a Christian, I would find Tebow's behavior to be showboating for attention. He's crowd pleasing and putting the spotlight on himself. I would have called him a "Pharisee" because, as mentioned above, Jesus did directly warn about praying in public In Matthew 6:5 and other places.

He's just trying to enhance his popularity by appealing to the evangelicals in the country and establish a niche for other marketing endeavors down the road. Think of all the millions of dollars in endorsements, or possibly the political leverage he can get because America loves a white, Jesus loving quarterback.

He's practising a brand of Christianity I call "Jockianity" - jocks who find Jesus and capitalize on it.

But just think of all the pussy he's missing. He could be making out like Nikki Sixx. Even if he's sneaking around, he's severely limited his options by projecting himself as the golden boy.

He's an attention grabbing goober. And I dislike football. Bah humbug.

• Super Moderator

I'm proud to say I wouldn't recognize Tebow if I ran over him on my motorcycle. I've never seen him and don't even know what team he is currently with. It's American style football, right?

I'm generally put off by celebrities who use their position to publicly espouse religious or political views. Just STFU and perform for us, please.

• Like 1

I wasn't aware that I was required to think of him at all.

But just think of all the pussy he's missing. He could be making out like Nikki Sixx. Even if he's sneaking around, he's severely limited his options by projecting himself as the golden boy.

Are you sure? There's nothing that says he can't be both, Christian or not. Which is why I find all this reactionary adoration by the fundies to be so hilarious.

I'm sure God is just delighted that Tebow works on the sabbath for money.

This is the same God that ordered a man put to death for gathering wood on the holy day.

Yeah, Tim Tebow really wants to serve the Lord.

What a joke.

What he said. Also, I'm less sick of Tebow and more sick of the media coverage. They played the Steelers last night and the Steelers safety, Polamalu, is incredibly religious, yet he gets almost no media coverage focused on his religion. There's a ton of Christian athletes out there, I just don't understand why Tebow gets all the media attention.

There's a ton of Christian athletes out there, I just don't understand why Tebow gets all the media attention.

Thank the Detroit Lions for that - after Suh sacked Tebow in that game and did the 'Tebow kneel' on the field next to him the fundies in the media went all apeshit how Tim's religion and faith were being mocked and attacked. It was just a typical NFL trash move but it made Tebow a poster child for the 'persecuted Christian.' Fundies on my facebook page began posting things like 'what if it had been a Muslim player who had been mocked that way' and one posted side by side images of Muslims kneeling and praying to Mecca and Tebow kneeling in Bronco Stadium with captions 'Why is this [the Muslims] okay and this [Tebow] isn't?' It's all just asinine - players have stopped to kneel for a moment or two after touchdowns for years now but then again none have made a point of making themselves a walking billboard like Tebow. What annoys me most about it is that we're all supposed to just instantly respect him, as if he's doing some huge honorable thing, and that's coming more from the fundie masses than Tebow himself. You can't be of the opinion that he's making a horse's ass of himself without it instantly meaning that you're anti-Christian and want to tear down everything good and decent in America.

Thank the Detroit Lions for that - after Suh sacked Tebow in that game and did the 'Tebow kneel' on the field next to him the fundies in the media went all apeshit how Tim's religion and faith were being mocked and attacked. It was just a typical NFL trash move but it made Tebow a poster child for the 'persecuted Christian.'

Excellent point! If anyone remembers, in the Detroit vs Packers game (last of the regular season) Suh sacked back up QB Matt Flynn and then did Aaron Rodger's signature championship belt celebration. Same thing, Suh was just mocking Rodgers.

It's frustrating, the media, because I like to have Sportscenter on in the background when I'm cleaning or doing something at home. Now, I can't even have it on anymore, because every other story is about Tebow.

As a Raiders fan, I'm not allowed to be able to stand Tebow or his team. I burn effigies.

Dad and I just went out to lunch and they were talking about this on American Family Radio.

They were all: "I don't understand why people hate Tim Tebow. He's a great role model of a man. What's their problem? All he does is thank Jesus on his Twitter and pray during games. It's because of people like Bill Maher that people are saying this is controversial. This is all just anti-Christian bigotry."

Wendybanghead.gif

My interest in this Tebow-mania started as I kept hearing about the guy on my friends' FB statuses. He's a marginal passer at the NFL level at best and has gotten a slew of lucky wins this season (how else can a team nearly be outscored in a stretch where they win 7 of 8?), but the fundies seem to latch onto him because of his beliefs. It also helps that he plays in a city just a couple hours north of Fundy Central, USA.

I'm sure there's lots of (Christian) ladies saying, somewhat facetiously, that they want to be Tebow's future girlfriend, but I ran into a bizarre example last night on FB where the guy called Tebow his sister's future boyfriend. Then his dad chimed in saying they just needed to set them up, and in all the comments that followed, the guy's sis didn't speak up once. I considered posting something along the lines of his sis not wanting to date a guy who would support restricting her rights as a woman but decided I don't want to be involved in another family's business. While I'm sure he only posed that as hypothetical, it still was awkward & paternalistic...

In an interview with TMZ, Tim Tebow’s pastor, Wayne Hanson said, ”Luck isn’t winning six games in a row. It’s favor. God’s favor. God has blessed his hard work.”

Meanwhile 18,000 children starved to death today. But God cares about football (and parking spaces).

“Well, isn't that SPE-CIAL?!”

• Like 2