Goodbye Jesus

The Deconversion Blues

sethosayher

Ken Daniels (author of Why I believed, a memoir about his life as a former missionary) has written a great post on his blog, deconversion desert:

http://www.kwdaniels.com/1/post/2012/01/the-deconversion-blues.html?

The article is about the depression that many believers experience when they deconvert. I myself am battling this as we speak, and I'm sure some of us feel the same way.

Life after God can be daunting and scary, but its very possible. Not only possible but potentially remarkable!

• Like 1

Ken Daniels (author of Why I believed, a memoir about his life as a former missionary) has written a great post on his blog, deconversion desert:

http://www.kwdaniels...ion-blues.html?

The article is about the depression that many believers experience when they deconvert. I myself am battling this as we speak, and I'm sure some of us feel the same way.

Life after God can be daunting and scary, but its very possible. Not only possible but potentially remarkable!

thank you for sharing this. Excellent article! Worth the read!!

It's a good article. He is probably right that the degree of torment / upset / grieving is proportional to how seriously you took the faith. Although I attended a year of Bible institute I was no missionary or full time church worker ... still, I thought I was a pretty good Christian but in retrospect a lot of my adherence was mental assent, so leaving the faith was mostly a relief for me as I had been putting a lot of energy into countermanding my own judgment and dealing with cognitive dissonance. That plus the fact I didn't have to "come out" up front and could kind of "fade away" in "stealth mode" without big family confrontations and the like, made it relatively painless. Even so it wasn't a cake walk. I can only imagine what a full on minister or missionary or ardent layperson who guzzled the Kool-Aid by the gallon would have to go through.