Goodbye Jesus

London

Karma is cherry picking. Let's say a spree killer shoots people at random and murders a dozen. But one of those victims was a jerk. Well in the case of that one it was karma. He had it coming. The other eleven victims were just random violence. Every once in a while random events will set right a perceived imbalance. The idea of karma ignores all the times when the result wasn't earned.

• Like 2

Recently I heard news of an individual who had a terrible thing happen to them. I would not have wished that on them personally. However, this person has just been terrible to people lately.

When I heard their bad news, my first thought was Karma.

Sometimes I think I believe in it, and sometimes I don't. Although I'm more on the "believe" side.

As a non-religious concept. Do you believe in Karma?

As a non-religious concept, no. If one believes that that the good and bad actions of a person are being tallied up then wouldn't some intelligent entity be doing the tallying? That would then make it a religious concept.

But if someone is known to often do evil to others and someone else finally gets pissed and pops him, that isn't karma either. That just the result of pissing off too many people.

"Good" things happen to all people. "Bad" things happen to all people. When some random "bad" thing happens to someone we don't like we say, "karma's a bitch, buddy...hahaha....you had it coming to you..." But I doubt there is someone 'up there' paying attention to all our deeds.

Karma is cherry picking. Let's say a spree killer shoots people at random and murders a dozen. But one of those victims was a jerk. Well in the case of that one it was karma. He had it coming. The other eleven victims were just random violence. Every once in a while random events will set right a perceived imbalance. The idea of karma ignores all the times when the result wasn't earned.

Exactly! Some article I read who knows where asks: Did all the people who died in the holocaust deserve it due to karma? Were the Japanese who got nuked in WW2 in need of balancing their own individual karmic scales? Of course not. These are illustrations of where the idea of karmic debt/payment does not pan out.

Karma is just a concept used to try to keep people from being assholes. Unfortunarely , good people with a conscience are concerned about karma and doing the right thing while the assholes know there is no karma and do whatever they like..lol

I think the universe levels itself out to some degree, but there's a lot of luck involved.

If I go round acting like a dick to everyone I meet (say I'm Terrell Owens), it will get more and more likely that it will come back to me as people get sick of me and close off opportunities and the like. But in some cases (say Terrell Owens) it doesn't work like that: he's a dick but he got lucky with his talents and got himself a nice career in sports before getting injured fairly recently.

But the opposite works too: if I'm a good person (say I'm Harrison Ford) then the chances of something good will increase (say I'm a carpenter for a guy called George and he gives me an acting role). But there's no guarantee that something will come up.

Great discussion. Very good points to consider.

I think the universe levels itself out to some degree, but there's a lot of luck involved.

If I go round acting like a dick to everyone I meet (say I'm Terrell Owens), it will get more and more likely that it will come back to me as people get sick of me and close off opportunities and the like. But in some cases (say Terrell Owens) it doesn't work like that: he's a dick but he got lucky with his talents and got himself a nice career in sports before getting injured fairly recently.

But the opposite works too: if I'm a good person (say I'm Harrison Ford) then the chances of something good will increase (say I'm a carpenter for a guy called George and he gives me an acting role). But there's no guarantee that something will come up.

My experience is that life doesn't work like that. More often than not assholes have it better than good people, because they have no conscience to stop them from doing bad things. Survival of the fittest, if you will. And in our society "fittest" often means more unscrupulous. Just look at who are the people on the top of society - the politicians, religious leaders, media people and so on...

• Like 1

let's see

bad things happenn to good people

good things happen to bad people

bad things happen to bad people

good things happen to good people

ok,,,, karma/retribution is about 50/50?

• Like 1

Kind of confused about the question.

If the question is: "Do you believe bad people have bad things happening to them because they where bad?"

Then i would say yes. Especially when they realize in there illusion that what they did was bad. This person then consciously or subconsciously would want to get punished for what he has done. Or believes that he deserves to be punished and therefor consciously or subconsciously places himself into situations in wish this might occur.

And one day he might even go out will a lady named Karma wish will kick his butt zDuivel7.gif

let's see

bad things happenn to good people

good things happen to bad people

bad things happen to bad people

good things happen to good people

ok,,,, karma/retribution is about 50/50?

So far Karma is beating God's answer rate for prayer.

• 1 month later...

No.

Shit happens.

• Like 1

I heard that karma as people think of it was originally invented by the Brahmin caste in India to prevent the rival warrior caste from taking over. ("karma" originally just meant that the various Hindu ceremonies were being done correctly) The whole point of it is to preserve the status quo, just like any other religion.

• Like 1

The first time I ever really heard of Karma was when I was 15 and dabbling in Wicca mythology. The good ole' 3x law, you know the one where you will get 3x what you dish out. Obviously I have long since ditched such ideas. How do you measure how much positive and negative one receives? You can't! Although I don't believe in Karma in that form, I do believe "what goes around comes around". I don't know if calling that karma is correct or not, but that's what I believe.

He and Mr. Ghia made a hell of a little sports car.

He and Mr. Ghia made a hell of a little sports car.

I saw Kharma-n Miranda driving one. ph34r.png

I voted no. To me Karma has to do with reincarnation: that your next life will be better or worse depending on how you behave in the current life. It's a way to explain why good or bad things happen to people who don't deserve it. And I don't believe there exists a good essence and a bad essence. Good and evil are moral judgements and they exist only in the eyes of the beholder. When a volcano explodes, it's not caused by a good force or an evil force, it's just a force, period. In essence, nothing is either good or bad. I think.

Nope. I've seen too many good people get fucked over too many times and never catching a break and I've seen assholes walk all over people for years and years and they keep getting away with it.

No.

It's a load of shit.