Goodbye Jesus

Christianity And Psychopathy

Sunny49

After having an unpleasant experience with a person who I believe is a psychopath I started researching about it and I noticed something interesting. Naimly, while I was reading about psychopaths a thought came into my mind "This sounds so similar." So here's what I found:

1. Perfect love - God gives us perfect love, psychopaths also seem to give us perfect love

http://psychopathyaw...ove-is-a-fraud/

2. Psychopaths tend to select trusting and trustworthy people whome they can manipulate and taint, the Church seems to do the same thing.

3. Lying - lying is a psychopats natural talent, the Church also seems to be notoriously lying

4. Psychopaths enjoy duping people, it makes them feel superior; Church seems to be duping people for 2000 years

5. Psychopaths have no consciouss, if Church lies and dupes people for 2000 years - it has no conscious neither

6. Killing your self-confidence - psychopaths tend to ruin their victims self confidence to control her/him, the Church ruins our self confidence by encouraging us not to believe in ourselves and our judging

7. Cutting of your support - psychopaths take you away from your friends, Church takes you away from friends who are not Christians

8. It's always your fault - psychopaths never accept blame for anything they do, they always blame the victim, just like the Church

9. No outside interest - psychopaths not only isolate their victims from their family and friends, but they also narrow the range of their interests and activities, the Church does exactly the same by telling us we cannot read or watch anything that is not Christian

10. Their love for power - psychopaths will do anything to get to a place of power, what else does Church want except power?

11. Destruction - their ultimate goal of psychopaths is to destroy the victim, seems that the Church wants the same thing

There are much more of this signs. You can check it here:

http://psychopathyaw...chopathic-bond/

Did psychopaths invent Christianity to gain control over people and destroy them? What do you think?

• Like 3

Rings all too true.

My biological mother is a psychopath, and I would have to agree that there are parallels between psychopathy and the xtian church. This is particularly true when you look at the abuser/victim relationship between a psychopath and their victim. A psychopath needs a willing, needy victim to stroke their ego. It's not so much about destroying the victim, but remaining in control of the victim. A psychopath cannot handle a victim who refuses to be manipulated and cuts off contact.

Psychopaths are fuelled by insecurity and rage. Whether this applys to the church in general is debatable.

I'm more of the opinion that the church is a narcissistic institution than a psychopathic one.

• Like 1

Could also be narcissistic. But, those signs are really similar. And it's really scary!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression psychpath was considered an obscolete term in modern psychology?

Now they call it anti-social disorder, but someone doesn't have to be a psychopath to be anti-social, so psychopaths are described as people who lack emotions (their brain is wired that way), they cannot feel love, guilt, compassion etc.

I thought that was a sociopath?

The saddest thing about this list is that for the most part it applies to much of what I see in church from people who I believe are truly well meaning. Why? Because they have been duped into thinking this is the way it is. I am constantly amazed at the people on Ex-C who started out questioning and then researching.

It sounds more like god is the pyscho then the church.

YES. The way god is protrayed is more along the lines of a psychopath or an abuser than any loving father. Look at number 6 and 8.

• Like 1

Sociopath and psychopath means practically the same. Only, psychopaths are born that way and socioapaths became that way because of the enviroment (society - that's way the name sociopaths).

So wouldn't the people in the church be considered sociopaths?

By that definition, that's what I would call them, especially mega church evangelists.

*shudders* I don't like megachurch evangelists....

• Super Moderator
Sociopath and psychopath means practically the same.

We must each choose our own path.

Cults and Ideology come from the psychopathic mind.

Sociopath and psychopath means practically the same. Only, psychopaths are born that way and socioapaths became that way because of the enviroment (society - that's way the name sociopaths).

I beg to differ- the two words mean the same thing, it's just the preference for the word differs depending on location.

In the beginning of the church, the Romans were correct when they declared Christianity a cult. Unfortunately, they later changed their minds and decided religion would be a great way to control an unruly population bent on bringing down the government. 'I am king, cuz god made me king or I would not be a king.' Christianity is a cult with all the trimmings that apply. It is a means of controlling a population either by government or by the local church itself--controlling the people in the neighborhood, taming those godless thoughts and doing away with masturbation, homosexuality, and whoredom, and their doctrine gives them the power to murder or imprison anyone who disagrees. They influence law-makers to pass laws to protect their feeble religious beliefs which in turn imprison those who do not follow the religious laws posing as secular law. In some countries, such as Iran, a person can be murdered lawfully for not following the religious law. This behavior is not just found in Christianity but seems to be a symptom of all revealed religions--control the convert or kill him. I'm not sure what the correct definition of this is but I still call it 'psychosis.'

Foxy agrees with Blackpuddin. Also, psychopath is no longer used by American psychologists and hasn't for quite some time. Sociopath refers to a person who does not learn moral lessons.

Foxy agrees with Blackpuddin. Also, psychopath is no longer used by American psychologists and hasn't for quite some time. Sociopath refers to a person who does not learn moral lessons.

Yeah, I double-checked, and I've got this quote from the book, The Devil You Know, by Kerry Daynes and Jessica Fellowes:

"Occaisionally, you will hear people talk of 'sociopaths' as well as psychopaths but there is no difference: the two terms are used interchangeably. Broadly speaking, sociopath is more of an Americanism, so a psychopath can become a sociopath when they cross the Atlantic.

The term sociopath came about for two reasons. Firstly, because some psychologists thought 'psychopath' was too close to the word 'psychotic'. Say 'psycho' and most people automatically think of Norman Bates, the sinister motel owner in the Alfred Hitchcock film. The film has enduring appeal (who hasn't twitched a shower curtain nervously?) and the director's manipulation somehow made a man in a grey wig and a granny dress scary. But poor, misunderstood Norm was mentally ill- the film's title (based on the book of the same name) actually refers to his being psychotic, not psychopathic. Psychotics act under the influence of delusions and hallucinations. Norman was probably suffering from a dissociative identity disorder and was in obvious torment ('Oh mother... God, noooo mother'). Psychopaths don't have distorted perceptions of reality and rarely have internal conflicts about the way they treat others, let alone a crisis of conscience.

Secondly, some social psychologists are convinced that psychopaths are created by both the family environment and an increasingly psychopathic society. They feel that the word sociopath emphasises both their beliefs about the origins of the condition and the fact that the associated features are damaging to entire groups." (pages 21-22)

Foxy asked Foxy's big sister, who is a psychologist.

Hey Puddin

Well researched! Good thoughts!

I don't know, I read somewhere that the psychiatrist couldn't agree whether the disorder was inborn or was it socially/enviromentaly induced. So, they made the two terms to differ it....I can't find where I read it...never mind.

And, blackpudd, your mother was a psychopath? That must have been horrible!

EDIT: I found it: "Hare writes that the difference between sociopathy and psychopathy may "reflect the user's views on the origins and determinates of the disorder." The term sociopathy may be preferred by sociologists that see the causes as due to social factors. The term psychopathy may be preferred by psychologists who see the causes as due to a combination of psychological, genetic, and environmental factors."

I love my sister and think she's a good couselor, but shrinks are only slightly more scientific than astrologers, IMHO.

I love my sister and think she's a good couselor, but shrinks are only slightly more scientific than astrologers, IMHO.

My Walgreens pharmacy won't honor my therapist's or astrologer's "drug prescriptions!"

The licensed MD's rule! Phd's (post hole diggers) don't.