Goodbye Jesus

Dreamshift Chronicles - Book Cover

Looking4Answers

I have always wanted to write a sci-fi/fantasy novel ... and so I have! It has been accepted by a publisher, is currently in the editor's hands and should be published in the next few months. Yay! I also had the opportunity to create the book cover. Here it is:

Front_Cover_02.jpg

I'm excited!

• Like 2

Congratulations looking!! that is soooo exciting! Best wishes that the book becomes a best seller!!

I like the cover!! well done!

Tha's awesome news! All the best!!

• Super Moderator

Great news. Please let us know when it's published. Congrats!

cool! love the artwork, what program did you use? Corel Painter?

Thanks everyone! It'll be a few months before it is published yet.

@owen652 - I used Photoshop for most of the cover. The text was created in a 3D program (modo - www.luxology.com).

Very cool Dan. I'll look for it. Will it be on Kindle?

Yes, the book should be on Kindle (and all the other readers). It will also be in hard copy (soft cover) via Amazon and retail outlets.

After talking with the publisher, we decided to update the cover art. Here's the new cover:

Front_Cover_04b.jpg

Here are some quickie 3D renders of the cover so you can see what it would look like once printed:

cover_front.jpg

cover_back.jpg

• Super Moderator

After reading the book jacket, I'm even more excited to read it. Much success!

Thanks! I cannot wait to see this in print. :)

Thanks! I cannot wait to see this in print. smile.png

I'm jealous. Very jealous. But I am very, very happy for you :)

I know how tormenting writing a book is. I scrapped my first finished attempt to start over. I didn't like it. After over a year of kicking around ideas, I think I've finally settled on a decent one, so I need to get writing again :) I will be picking up a copy, though- it sounds exactly like the sort of book my mother-in-law would love. I wouldn't mind reading it myself, it does sound really interesting, but unfortunately what with uni, I have a pile to get through first, so I'll let M-I-L read it first :)

I wish you every success, and wish you luck with your books to come (you know there'll be more!) :)

Thank you for all of your kind words and encouragement! I just got back from a weekend at a sci-fi/fantasy convention where I was promoting my book and art. I had a lot of interest and almost 100 people signed up for my newsletter about the book! It was great fun!

• Like 1

Did you get a lot of rejections before finding this publisher? How did you find this publisher?

Did you write sci-fi shorts for sci-fi mags?

Congratulations!

@Voice - No, I did not have a lot of rejection. Frankly, I worked on the manuscript a lot, re-reading it and re-editing it a lot before sending it off. I did have a bit of an in with this particular publisher because my girlfriend had met her at a convention (totally unrelated to writing or publishing) and they got to talking about books. My novel was mentioned and the publisher said she would take a look at it. I sent it off and she loved it from the bat. I knew I had grabbed her when she called me and told me she had read the book through, not wanting to read it as a publisher/editor, but got so caught up in the story that she just wanted to read it to enjoy it. That meant a lot to me.

No, I have not written any shorts for any magazines before either. I had always wanted to write a novel but was always too afraid to attempt it. Then I just got to the point of telling myself, "Just write it, even if no one ever reads it!" It became a labor of love. Now, I had written other things (like several e-mags on things like 3D modeling for games, etc), but never a novel. I was a complete unknown to the writing world when it comes to fiction. So, there was a bit of luck (my girlfriend having met the publisher) and a lot of hard work. But none of this will mean anything unless we can promote the book, which is what we are doing at these conventions. And even though the book is 2-3 months from its final printed form, it seems that we are generating a lot of interest with both the cover art and back-of-book blurb.

Just got back from another sci-fi/fantasy convention! These things are a lot of fun! Again, a lot of interest was expressed about my book and my artwork. We even had some pre-sales of the book! What's even better (in my opinion) is we were able to talk to some very, very well known sci-fi/fantasy authors. They were very interested in my book, said they would both read and review the work. If I get good reviews from any of these authors, that can really to a lot to promote it and to even allow me to tap into their fan base for sales! Yay!

I was also able to get a photo of me with Nicky Clyne, who played Cally Tyrol on Battlestar Galactica! She also said she would read my book and she took one of my posters (of the front cover of the book). Yay!

Woohoo! The Dreamshift Chronicles website just went live! Check it out at:

http://www.dreamshiftchronicles.com

There's still work to be done on it, but at least it is operational and live!

• Super Moderator

Pre-ordered. Can't wait to read the book. I am really happy for you and wish you much success.

Wow! Thank you! I truly appreciate it! And please do let me know (honestly) your thoughts.

By the way, I am also writing a book on my story ... all that I've gone through since leaving the faith, etc ... but that one will be some time before it is ready for the publisher.

Dan, I am so happy for you! I will definitely buy your book and I really look forward to your "leaving the faith" book! Hugs to you!

Sandra

• Super Moderator

Wow! Thank you! I truly appreciate it! And please do let me know (honestly) your thoughts.

By the way, I am also writing a book on my story ... all that I've gone through since leaving the faith, etc ... but that one will be some time before it is ready for the publisher.

Knowing what I know from your previous posts here, your other blogs, and a few emails/PM's, I had been wondering if you might write a book on your personal story. I'm really looking forward to reading that one too. Best wishes to you in all your endeavors!

Thanks, everyone, for your kind words! I appreciate them.

@buffettphan - Concerning writing a book on my personal exodus from the faith - I had written pages of thoughts as I was going through my turmoil. I had also constructed an outline and chapter names. I had even written about 150+ (handwritten) pages for the book. But it was good to let it sit for a bit so that the bitterness did not pour through the text as heavily as it did. The story, in many senses, is not yet complete. But I can still start writing the book.

But I have a few more fun ones to write, too. :) Wish I could share the concepts, but not on a public forum.

Sandra - Thanks! I hope you will enjoy my novel once it is released! If you pre-order it now (on my website at www.dreamshiftchronicles.com) then I will autograph it for you. That's what I am doing for all pre-orders. After the book comes out, it will ship from a printer or distributor somewhere.