Goodbye Jesus

What's Your Mbti?

Sunny49

INTP

INTJ. I've done several of these tests online - virtually always get that. Only once did one peg me as INFJ.

INTP, unless I'm drunk.

I guess I'm the odd man out. The first time I took the test, I was INFJ, which didn't seem to fit me well enough. I took it twice more, spending more time thinking about the questions, and I tested as an ISFP both times. It described me much more accurately. Then I found an article that listed characteristics and job titles. I worked 4 of the jobs listed!

• Like 1

I got INTJ, a.k.a. "Mastermind."zDuivel7.gif

INTJ here, just like my mother (but she's still a BibleBot).

I'm an ENFJ (I see one other here, too).

Glad that I'm overcame all that feeling stuff and learned to use my brain like all you thinkers ;-)

It ain't all it's cracked up to be.

INTJ too.

I don't know if I'm INTP or INFP. For ten years I thought I was INTP. But I'm different from other female INTPs. Feelings are more important to me; I'm more aware of my own and other people's feelings and how actions impact feelings. Then I got into a forum of INFPs and it felt like I'd come home. A whole other side of me developed. That could have been five years ago. But I'm more of an analytical thinker than other INFPs.

I can do the MBTI to come out however I want it to come out. Everything has to be interpreted to fit a context. All you've got is one snippet of life and you're asked which you prefer. How am I supposed to choose from two items sitting there if I don't know the context?

So I have to envision the context. But that's the problem. I can envision whatever context I decide to envision. That allows me to answer the questions honestly for whatever type I decide to be right now. I can be pretty much every type I want to be for a little bit except perhaps one or two--maybe it's the FJ types I can't do.

Perhaps the most important thing in life for me is to have an identity--which would be NF. Then again, an extremely important thing for me is for life to make sense--to understand what is going on (which could be NT). Then again, all of this could be scars from life-long emotional abuse and suppression/oppression. Or it could simply be who I am.

One thing I know--I have to know why. I had to know that since before I can remember--before ever abuse had a chance to begin. Possibly the abuse was the result of that need; people couldn't deal with my insistent need to know why. Two-year-olds, it seems, ask why. I never grew out of that stage. At 55 I'm still asking. I'm told that is extraverted intuition.

But I'm a strong introvert. I can't handle socials. One a month is plenty. If I want social interaction, all I have to do is walk my dog past the coffee shop and count house, through the park and around the library and police station. I'm sure to see other people and probably run into someone that I have to say hello to. People are trying to arrange for me to get together with them. My sister tried to make it easy and suggested we'll just get together to "babble."

UGH!

I knew she meant well but I wanted to ask if she's trying to bring on a migraine for me.

Well I score INTJ just like everybody else around here.

I'm most definitely not a J. Can't get me organized if my life depended on it. My organization skills are applied to writing and information. I am perfectionist when it comes to documentation. I value information and its sources very highly because it is critical to understanding where ideas come from and how they were formed. Does that make me a T rather than an F?

and we tend to take these tests because we like to talk about how smart we are.

I desperately needed to know I wasn't retarded when I came across these tests back in the 1990s before the internet. The real test for me was getting excellent grades in university--for me, that was a quantifiable way to evaluate my level of intelligence. My mother and siblings, and larger community, had done all within their power all my life to "put me in my place" regarding my stupidity. If everyone around you says you're stupid, you're liable to think it might be true.

Also we NT's often don't think much of authority. We generally go along with it just because it's convenient (and we're not crazy or ballsy enough to fight it like the SP's), but we often don't see it as legitimate. And maybe that's why so many of us are Exchristians.

Exactly! Rebelling against authority is just too messy and time-consuming and takes away from more important life issues. I realize my life would not be so good if no one had fought the powers-that-be, but I go along to get along as far as I can. When I had checked out all my options--and I mean quadruple-checking (or more) every single last one--and found I had to go against authority I planned the route with the least obstructions and went my way as quietly as I possibly could. Were people ever enraged!

When I know I'm right, it matters not what others think or do. But I'll shun the angry people--they just won't see me or hear from me because I can't handle the animosity.

What am I: T or F?

Okay, I suppose no one wants to answer that, but that's as close as I can come to my MBTI type.

Margee, I forget your type from last year and I don't see it posted in this thread. May we know what it is?

As usually happens, I tested an even split between INFP and INTP. I once tested as a J, but I guess that was a fluke. The short 4-question test showed me as an S, which was a little weird, but I did read a description of my personality type once that said that in social situations, I might act like a particular S personality, but unlike someone who's that personality full-time, I burn out on the social time and will need alone time to recover. That seems to match my experiences.

I tried to be as honest as possible, but a few times I had to change my answers because I realized that some of the characteristics of my personality type are traits that I value and strive for. The first step in working towards is a goal is knowing where you fall short, so a few times I found that in choosing between "what I want to be" and "what I don't want to be", my initial thought was that the honest answer was to choose the one I don't want to be (because if I have to fight those tendencies, they must come naturally, right?) In thinking about it, though, I realized that I'm working towards those goals not because I'm bad at them but because my personality type values them and leans that way naturally, so I had to compare myself to other people to figure out what the honest answer way.

I'd like to see a version of this test that is designed to measure what personality other people think I have. Then my friends and I could all fill them out for each other and compare answers. I'm sure it says something about my personality type that I would consider this to be fun social entertainment for some evening, and so would several of my friends, and then we'd spend the rest of the night trying to figure out the most useful analysies to perform on the data.

Vacuum Flux, your self-description sounds so very much like my own. Almost a mirror-image. But the interests you list in your profile don't fit me. I guess personality type and interests don't necessarily overlap.

Vacuum Flux, your self-description sounds so very much like my own. Almost a mirror-image. But the interests you list in your profile don't fit me. I guess personality type and interests don't necessarily overlap.

Nope, they don't necessarily overlap. There's a lot of interests out the for people to have. I think personality is more a question of how you approach them. One example I read recently was in an Ansel Adams book, where he's describing his Zone System for choosing how to expose and develop a photograph. He's got it figured out all systematically, and gets a lot of comfort out of having a repeatable method so that he can focus on the art aspect and not the technical details. He thinks that this system is great for young photographers to learn, so that they don't have to do a lot of unreliable guesswork. But Adams also describes this friend who doesn't work that way at all, doesn't think too hard about systems or math, and just waves his light meter around for a bit then comes up an exposure that feels right. And he gets great results too. (Personally, I find the Zone System really exciting because it explains what I was doing wrong in all sorts of pictures I took but wasn't happy with. And it's really not all that complicated.)

I've got a weird mix of the artist/intuitive approach and the logical. I love data analysis and charts and graphs. I put hours into setting up my budget spreadsheet because it's really cool to watch the numbers I enter show up on plots with colors. I have another spreadsheet with itemized purchases for all of my hobbies, because I like to know what I spent where. On the other hand, I'm not so good with precise art forms. I hate following patterns, but will put up with them if I designed them myself or really need the learning experience. I like integrating the design process with the making of things; the design part is fun, the making is work. I like art styles where the work never comes out quite like I'd imagined it and I have to constantly redesign things as I see what's happening. I have a weird way of doing higher math, too. Math for me feels more like intuition and bright colors and shiny things than it does like logic. Again, it's that feeling that I can only see one step ahead in the math and I keep letting my imagination run wild to see if there's a more efficient path to the answer. I'm bad at fast math tricks, but do enjoy a longer process; there's more to discover along the way, and more time to get a feel for what's happening before you move on to the next thing.

I used to test ISTJ, but now I test INTJ. Have heard it's not supposed to change, but it did. Oddly, it changed after deconversion. Not sure if that's a coincidence or if there is something more to it. Wendyshrug.gif

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread – I searched this forum for 'MBTI' and found this one. I came across the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator a few months ago and found it fascinating. I know it's an imperfect model, but it seems useful in many ways, and I was very curious at the time of how it would relate to deconversion from Christianity.

I'm an ISTJ. I take comfort that my S (tending to value external tangible evidence) and T (tending to value logic and reason) seem to indicate that given the right information and the time to adequately consider it, deconversion was in some ways inevitable for me. And it's probably why it feels so liberating to no longer be a Christian now – I no longer have to resist my natural impulses and believe in the face of poor evidence without questioning!)

NT/ST definitely seems the most popular given this thread. But many of my Christian friends and family members (who at the time of writing don't know about me yet) are "NF" types. This suggests to me that presenting my rationale-based arguments will simply not resonate with them or have much of an effect.

Has anybody had any thought on this? Any NFs on here? If so, what were the triggers for your deconversion?

Hi rach! I don't know if you noticed my post above yours, I bumped this thread to ask about deconverted NF types. And lo and behold, the next poster is an NF :-)

I just read your deconversion story. It's beautiful, and SO different from an ST story like mine! (As expected! This is not a criticism – I love and admire the iNtuitive-Feeling type – the world would be terribly dull without people like you). Can you try and put an ST hat on and give an idea of how I would best go about having the inevitable discussions about my deconversion with my NF friends and family? What resonates with you the most in such discussions?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread – I searched this forum for 'MBTI' and found this one. I came across the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator a few months ago and found it fascinating. I know it's an imperfect model, but it seems useful in many ways, and I was very curious at the time of how it would relate to deconversion from Christianity.

I'm an ISTJ. I take comfort that my S (tending to value external tangible evidence) and T (tending to value logic and reason) seem to indicate that given the right information and the time to adequately consider it, deconversion was in some ways inevitable for me. And it's probably why it feels so liberating to no longer be a Christian now – I no longer have to resist my natural impulses and believe in the face of poor evidence without questioning!)

NT/ST definitely seems the most popular given this thread. But many of my Christian friends and family members (who at the time of writing don't know about me yet) are "NF" types. This suggests to me that presenting my rationale-based arguments will simply not resonate with them or have much of an effect.

Has anybody had any thought on this? Any NFs on here? If so, what were the triggers for your deconversion?

My wife tests INFJ. I can't speak for her directly, but from what I can tell, her reasons for reconverting really aren't fundamentally all that different from mine (I test INTJ). Probably the biggest differences are that I need to explicitly spell things out and I need to be able to put together a coherent and logical case as to why I reckon this is bullshit; she doesn't feel the need to do that. She's thought this over - it doesn't make sense to her and it doesn't feel right. She might not find my case convincing because it's too narrowly focused on specifics. I might not find her case convincing because it isn't structured and spelled out. But we each arrived at pretty much the sameconclusion.

One mistake we NT's tend to make is to claim or assume that Feeling types are somehow less 'logical' than we are. And for a narrowly focused situation like diagnosing an electronics problem, it's likely true - I can fucking think around corners on shit like that. Whereas she has social/emotional insights that wouldn't occur to me in a thousand years of reflection.

For the Big Questions like beliefs and world view, I don't think either way of thinking is necessarily better or worse. She's looking intuitively at far more variables than I would consider - some conscious and some not. Whereas I focus on one issue or claim at a time and can root out bullshit. Her analysis is probably more broad; mine is more focused.

So I think Feeling types would find arguments about the inherent injustice and absurdity of Christianity more persuasive than say specific biblical contradictions that I would have focused on.

I get different scores when I take it, and unfortunately I don't remember the one I got when I took it under proper supervision.  One time I scored INTJ, I don't remember all the scores.  I took it 4 times, only once supervised.

Cool, thanks Rank. That was well put and very helpful. I can certainly relate to a lot of what you said when it comes to discussions with my NF siblings.

For the Big Questions like beliefs and world view, I don't think either way of thinking is necessarily better or worse. She's looking intuitively at far more variables than I would consider - some conscious and some not. Whereas I focus on one issue or claim at a time and can root out bullshit. Her analysis is probably more broad; mine is more focused.

So I think Feeling types would find arguments about the inherent injustice and absurdity of Christianity more persuasive than say specific biblical contradictions that I would have focused on.

INFJ here...just had to cosign. That was the crux of my deconversion process.

Feeling is a perfectly rational function, great at decision-making. For example, Thinking might be perfectly accurate concerning what science can & cannot do, whereas Feeling might be perfectly sensible in saying "Burn the research; humanity can't handle this shit".

The latter kinds of decisions are what Feelers specialize in: what is for the good of us/mankind? What are we telling ourselves and others? What is really right, or really wrong here? At least, those questions resnate with me.

I learned about the lack of empirical proof for biblegod after I had deconverted; my decision was based on the rational judgment that worshiping him would be wrong.

INFJ here...

I learned about the lack of empirical proof for biblegod after I had deconverted; my decision was based on the rational judgment that worshiping him would be wrong.

I agree that both Thinking and Feeling are done logically and rationally in their own ways, and it's probably a fact that society couldn't function without individuals of both types!

Was your deconversion a personal experience, or did it involve the influence of others (and if so, what was that influence)?

INFP

The descriptions make me sound like an unbearable twit hahahaa. But it does kinda explain how I got so Christianised. And why I had a hard time while deconverting - when your ethics and values are so important to you it makes the time where you're reinterpreting your understanding of the world and what you want to do in it all the more disconcerting. Maybe.

Guest Babylonian Dream
INTJ
Introvert(22%)  iNtuitive(75%)  Thinking(25%)  Judging(44%)
  • You have slight preference of Introversion over Extraversion (22%)
  • You have distinctive preference of Intuition over Sensing (75%)
  • You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (25%)
  • You have moderate preference of Judging over Perceiving (44%)

Not suprised. It's not often that online tests accurately describe me. Kudos to the test!

I am an INTP. Incidentally, my wife is an ESFJ. Opposites attract, huh?

Also, if you want some fun with your MBTI profile check this out:  http://www.xeromag.com/fun/personality.html