Goodbye Jesus

Skepticktok

So did anyone ever attended one of these things as a believer? Just curious.

They give me a very weird vibe...and the patriarchal overtones of them seem very regressive. I remember watching a tv program about them and while my family thought it was wonderful I was just shaking my head.

• Like 1

One word: Creepy.

The way the fathers look at their daughters makes me cringe. I personally wouldn't want to talk about my vagina, er, virginity with my dad, and he certainly doesn't own it. These purity balls remind me of Warren Jeffs. Ew!

• Like 2

I never attended one. However, my dad and I went to prom together since I couldn't date at the time. I found prom to be overrated and glad me and dad went but would have had just as much fun staying home. I agree though purity balls are creepy.

• Like 1

Ok, I'm not familiar with purity balls. I'm assuming they are like a prom style activity. But I just have to say that when I read the title of the thread I immediately associated an object similar to purity rings.

Sooo... purity balls was really making me think of, well...

... ok, I need to stop before I drag this thread into the gutter.

<bows head down and slinks off stage>

• Like 3

This is not at all what I thought this thread was about.

• Like 1

From what I know of the use of underage girls for sex, the johns are usually males who have daughters the same age as the girls they pay for sex. That is why these photos creep the hell out of me:

http://lovejoyfeminism.blogspot.com/2011/09/your-virginity-is-yours-not-your-dads.html

That's what I see when I see these pictures of purity balls: desire. It makes me sick.

• Like 2

This is not at all what I thought this thread was about.

You too, huh?

This is not a testimony. I'm moving to Coliseum instead. (If I have the balls.)

I thought purity balls was some euphemism for virgin. Wendyshrug.gif

Wait. It's more vulgar than virgin, and it does mean the same thing... or? It could also mean good hygiene in the private region. Right?

Oh umm, purity balls or when a dad and daughter go to this banquet like event. It's formal. At some point and time during the ball the dad's give their daughter's a ring and the daughter's promise to keep their "purity" a.k.a. virginity until they are married. It is really creepy. Never went to one because they were after my whole indoctrination with abstinence only. I am sad to say that I did not know how to use a condom until I was 26. So sad.

Oh umm, purity balls or when a dad and daughter go to this banquet like event. It's formal. At some point and time during the ball the dad's give their daughter's a ring and the daughter's promise to keep their "purity" a.k.a. virginity until they are married. It is really creepy.

Sounds very sick to me. The act is suggestive, like the dad is "marrying" his daughter.

Couldn't someone at least have picked a better name for it than "purity ball"? Like "promise dinner" or something.

It is pretty sick and you are not the only one to point that out at all. Ick. *shudder*

Purity balls, no wonder the male woos are all a bunch of wankers....

This is just too f***ing weird. My wife did the birds and bees with my daughter and I did the same with my son. Unless you are a single dad, there is no valid reason to have these discussions with your daughter(s) and even then you can find a sister/cousin to deal with it. This is no more than guilting women for having a vagina.

Purity balls = pussy on a pedestal IMO

Condoms work better

Oh umm, purity balls or when a dad and daughter go to this banquet like event. It's formal. At some point and time during the ball the dad's give their daughter's a ring and the daughter's promise to keep their "purity" a.k.a. virginity until they are married. It is really creepy.

Sounds very sick to me. The act is suggestive, like the dad is "marrying" his daughter.

Couldn't someone at least have picked a better name for it than "purity ball"? Like "promise dinner" or something.

How about "Purity Control"?

http://x-files.wikia.com/wiki/Purity_Control

Nah, Chris Carter might object.

How about "Virginity Control"? It the shoe fits . . . you must acquits.

Purity balls, no wonder the male woos are all a bunch of wankers....

This is just too f***ing weird. My wife did the birds and bees with my daughter and I did the same with my son. Unless you are a single dad, there is no valid reason to have these discussions with your daughter(s) and even then you can find a sister/cousin to deal with it. This is no more than guilting women for having a vagina.

Purity balls = pussy on a pedestal IMO

Oh I want to change my vote. "Pussy On A Pedestal" is a much better name for Purity Balls. Let's start a petition.

Ok, I'm not familiar with purity balls. I'm assuming they are like a prom style activity. But I just have to say that when I read the title of the thread I immediately associated an object similar to purity rings.

Sooo... purity balls was really making me think of, well...

... ok, I need to stop before I drag this thread into the gutter.

<bows head down and slinks off stage>

:Cues up AC/DC:

Some balls are held for charity

And some for fancy dress

But when they're held for pleasure,

They're the balls that I like best.

And my balls are always bouncing,

To the left and to the right.

It's my belief that my big balls should be held every night.

But we've got the biggest balls of the all!

....... My wife did the birds and bees with my daughter and I did the same with my son. Unless you are a single dad, there is no valid reason to have these discussions with your daughter(s) and even then you can find a sister/cousin to deal with it. ....

While I agree with the rest of your post, I would say that dads can have a valid reason to talk to their daughters about sex as much as moms can to sons. If your just talking about mechanics then get an anatomy book appropriate to the age level and go through it. I learned about the basic mechanics that way when I was seven. Course mom was a nurse so.....

But when you move beyond that, I would think having your dad tell you that is okay to tell the guy to stop, and then vigorously defend yourself could be helpful. Even secular society still has the undercurrent of what women should do in bed. So I think being the male voice in your daughters life that says your body is yours and you have every right to defend it, could only be positive.

but then my daughter is only 10months old right now. we'll see how I feel in 13 years.

• Like 3

....... My wife did the birds and bees with my daughter and I did the same with my son. Unless you are a single dad, there is no valid reason to have these discussions with your daughter(s) and even then you can find a sister/cousin to deal with it. ....

While I agree with the rest of your post, I would say that dads can have a valid reason to talk to their daughters about sex as much as moms can to sons. If your just talking about mechanics then get an anatomy book appropriate to the age level and go through it. I learned about the basic mechanics that way when I was seven. Course mom was a nurse so.....

But when you move beyond that, I would think having your dad tell you that is okay to tell the guy to stop, and then vigorously defend yourself could be helpful. Even secular society still has the undercurrent of what women should do in bed. So I think being the male voice in your daughters life that says your body is yours and you have every right to defend it, could only be positive.

but then my daughter is only 10months old right now. we'll see how I feel in 13 years.

You will likely be more protective over her than a son. Weird thing is when my daughter started menses, for some reason she begged my wife not to tell me. There is a definite special father daughter relationship that excludes anything sexual. This wanes as they grow up but there remains a special bond.

There really is not a rule book one can follow, only common sense. Fathers know what they were as young men but trying to protect them from teen us will not work. The attraction to peer males is sexually driven and no matter what you as a father try to do to suppress, it will fail.

With both my kids, once they knew what's what, I simply said, take precautions and they do.

• Like 1

:Cues up AC/DC:

<puts on bandanna and sunglasses>

<walks over to stereo and cranks volume to high>

...................................................................................................

I think it's important for both parents to talk about sex. That gives the child an understanding that either parent will be able, and willing, to answer questions. And allows the child to decide who they are most comfortable coming to in the future.

When you start there "rituals" around sexuality, (or anything for that matter), it gets really creepy. You devote your virginity to your dad? Only a creepy fundie could come up with that.

And the purity rings kids wear creep me out as well. It's almost like putting a big sign on them that says "can you talk me out of my virginity?". It's one thing to decide to wait with sex. It's another to tag your cattle and challenge the world to steal it.

And it's disgusting that so many people put all the burden on girls. It implies that women have no common sense about sex.

And the purity rings kids wear creep me out as well. It's almost like putting a big sign on them that says "can you talk me out of my virginity?". It's one thing to decide to wait with sex. It's another to tag your cattle and challenge the world to steal it.

And it's disgusting that so many people put all the burden on girls. It implies that women have no common sense about sex.

LOL.....the women as cattle analogy is EXACTLY what the bible teaches.

To be honest, a child raised up in that environment wouldn't have any common sense about sex. They would have only heard about contraception as evil and there fore wouldn't use it. There would be no education about STD's. The bigger implication is that if you marry a christian man you don't have to worry about STD's cause they wouldn't do such things anyway. eek.gif Yeah right.

But then fundy thinking, in all its forms, seems to only produce a screwed up world view.

This reminds me of a recent episode of Hoarders or Hoarding: Buried Alive. The woman had two failed marriages and was taught that all she had to do was marry a good xian man. The second husband was bad news. The result of that was a very unhealthy hoarded home and lots of mental damage.

Had she known better and not been taught the "don't use your brain" fundie way, she may never have ended up that way. It was really sad.

Women have been liberated. That's that, and a good thing too, in my opinion. We can only hope that many of them will not abuse their power too badly.

Let's listen as Fiona Apple gets rich from bragging of her abuse.

I'm gonna be honest...I had a purity ring. That went out the door when I started dating and it was a damn good thing that I was on the pill (for medical purposes) and my bf was all about safe sex. I was 26 and didn't know how to use a condom. It's sad that my education about that came from a relationship instead of my parents. If people want to prevent things then they need to be educated. Period. It is creepy to devote all your sexual energy to serving a non-existent god and even creepier to promise your dad that you won't give it away. For the longest time I believed that all I had to offer a man was my virginity and ability to bear children. Yeah, that's what I was taught and it is pure B.S. By the way, my first bf is a good friend of mine and still has my purity ring that I gave to him. We joke about it but it is seriously creepy. *shudder*

I'm gonna be honest...I had a purity ring. That went out the door when I started dating and it was a damn good thing that I was on the pill (for medical purposes) and my bf was all about safe sex.

You don't have to justify being on the pill. Every woman has the right if she wants. Nobody should give you any grief about it.

I was 26 and didn't know how to use a condom. It's sad that my education about that came from a relationship instead of my parents. If people want to prevent things then they need to be educated. Period. It is creepy to devote all your sexual energy to serving a non-existent god and even creepier to promise your dad that you won't give it away. For the longest time I believed that all I had to offer a man was my virginity and ability to bear children. Yeah, that's what I was taught and it is pure B.S. By the way, my first bf is a good friend of mine and still has my purity ring that I gave to him. We joke about it but it is seriously creepy. *shudder*

May I ask your personal opinion on something? What do you think would be the right age for the heavy details on the birds and bees? I keep second guessing myself because I will need to host one of those talks but I don't want to do it too soon.

You will likely be more protective over her than a son.

Well we shall see when the time comes but I am preparing myself. I'm mostly going to be interested in criminal record, medical history, and being free of domestic violence and DUIs. I'm mentally preparing myself to accept whatever my daughter chooses beyond that.

Fiona sings sing_99.gif

I've been a bad, bad girl.

I've been careless with a delicate man.

And it's a sad, sad world

when a girl will break a boy

just because she can.

Fiona, I am no person to grant you forgiveness. Do you want peace of mind? Then simply stop breaking boys, just because you can.