Goodbye Jesus

Repenting After Death

Xerces

I think a lot of christians hold onto the idea that a person has to believe before the moment of death to actually achieve "salvation". But I'm not entirely sure where this comes from. Maybe they assume that a person instantly goes to one place or the other depending on how they lived. But, there is a bible verse that would contradict that:

"For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad" (II Corinthians 5:10).

This would suggest that even after death a person would have an opportunity to accept or decline the offer of "salvation". Wouldn't it seem kind of ridiculous to let someone accept it on their death bed after going through their whole life not accpeting it, but denying people immediately after they die? And what about people who've never heard the "message"? Does the death rule apply to them? Why or why not? And if it did why would it not apply to everyone?

How anyone still believes in this shit, fuckin' A.

That verse has always confused me to be honest with you. There is a valid point as well. If we are all gonna be judged for what we have done then what's the point? Most of the non-christian people that I met when I was a christian were better people than I was. I was also thinking about the parable with lazarus and the rich man. Wasn't it meant to be a parable? Wouldn't that person also be judged as well?

I was also thinking about the parable with lazarus and the rich man. Wasn't it meant to be a parable?

I was once told that since Jesus was sinless he never lied, therefore all the parables were true stories. He just happened to know about that one because he was god and all, so he'd been able to see it.

I never quite understood what's so special about this life vs death, either. There's a verse in there somewhere about jesus going to preach in hell after he died; usually people explained that as jesus going to fetch all the true believers out of the waiting area into the real heaven, since his blood meant it was now ok for those filthy sinners to be in god's pristine headquarters. Other people suggested that no one could have denied jesus before he even existed, so maybe all those BC people got a second chance that us AD people don't, since now "the truth is out there". The other option is that jesus just showed up in gehenna to rub it in their faces that they'd never make it into heaven.

I haven't had it explained to me that way in so many words but it would seem like a douche-y thing to do to rub people's faces in the fact that they can't get out of hell. Meh, jeebus is poo. He became grilled cheezus after he went to hell.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

The context of the story is that of Paul telling believers in the Corinth church that "saved" believers will still be judged on their works. It's not a reference to the unsaved, or non-Christian.

I Corinthians 3:15 also says some believers will "suffer loss" even though they are "saved." Christians will receive, in Heaven, a reward or a withholding of reward for their acts when they were alive. The point is that Christians, though safe from Hell, still have real incentive to still do good and refrain from sinful acts.

• Like 2

He became grilled cheezus after he went to hell.

Yes! And the evidence is in the toast!

cheesus is true,,,, i watched it on Glee season 1 i think

Yeps. Although I think eating grilled cheezus is probably healthier than actually praying to grilled cheezus. Something about calcium....

If you could repent after you die then (assuming Christian myth were true) there would be no reason to become a Christian, attend church or $ $ $ tithe. So most Christians hold to the idea that if you are not Christian when you die then for you it is too late - your fate is sealed upon death.

But if you think about it that makes God really weird. We can't have people going to heaven, seeing God and then saying "Oh I get it now". No those people are unacceptable to God. That means God wants heaven to be filled only with willfully ignorant people who were lucky enough to be born to Christian parents. So if you are willfuly ignorant but part of some other false (to Christians) religion then you have the qualifications God wants but you just were not lucky enough to get to heaven.

If you could repent after you die then (assuming Christian myth were true) there would be no reason to become a Christian, attend church or $ $ $ tithe. So most Christians hold to the idea that if you are not Christian when you die then for you it is too late - your fate is sealed upon death.

But if you think about it that makes God really weird. We can't have people going to heaven, seeing God and then saying "Oh I get it now". No those people are unacceptable to God. That means God wants heaven to be filled only with willfully ignorant people who were lucky enough to be born to Christian parents. So if you are willfuly ignorant but part of some other false (to Christians) religion then you have the qualifications God wants but you just were not lucky enough to get to heaven.

It's all very stupid. But, you know, christians don't ask themselves these kinds of questions I guess, or they make up some bullshit to rationalize it. Kind of like cigarette smokers that try to rationalize smoking.

I once asked a person in my church if someone who has been awful their whole life converted on their death bed, if they would go to heaven. The answer was yes. Personally, I don't want to go to heaven if those are the people who are going to be there.

Probation ends at death therefore there can be no repentance.

Ecclesiastes 9:4 Anyone who is among the living has hope--even a live dog is better off than a dead lion! (do you see that lions?)

Ecclesiastes 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

Ecclesiastes 9:10 Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the grave, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom.

Psalm 146:10 His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.

"For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad" (II Corinthians 5:10).

This would suggest that even after death a person would have an opportunity to accept or decline the offer of "salvation". Wouldn't it seem kind of ridiculous to let someone accept it on their death bed after going through their whole life not accpeting it, but denying people immediately after they die? And what about people who've never heard the "message"? Does the death rule apply to them? Why or why not? And if it did why would it not apply to everyone?

How anyone still believes in this shit, [edit] ... A.

The text is self explanatory. Everyone has to face God. There will be a resurrection. There are books in heaven that has the transcript of the lives of everyone. There's the book of life , all the names of the Saints will be recorded here and there's the book of remembrance. Sins are recorded in the book of remembrance but by faith/trust a person hangs on to Jesus and they then get their evil deeds blotted out because God gave them the power to repent. It's called imputed and imparted righteousness.

Texts that support what I said:

Revelation 20:12 And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books.

Revelation 20:13 The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what he had done.

The verses in your first post only talk about death. Those don't answer the question. And those revelation verses are stupid, why keep them in hell just to bring them back out to tell them they're fucked? Maybe thats why I heard something about John the Baptist eating Magic Mushrooms. Wouldn't surprise me.

The verses in your first post only talk about death. Those don't answer the question. And those revelation verses are stupid, why keep them in hell just to bring them back out to tell them they're fucked? Maybe thats why I heard something about John the Baptist eating Magic Mushrooms. Wouldn't surprise me.

The name of this thread is: "Repenting After Death"

I answered the second part, the part you were speculating about. People cannot repent after they die! The book of Revelation is the Revelation of Jesus Christ and a person who reads, understands and obeys it is blessed. John the Baptist did not write Revelaltion, John the Revelator did.

P.S. God has to vindicate His character and show all His creatures that He is trustworthy and His commandments are a necessity. His Word is sure and He said He will judge the wicked and that He will do. He will show why the wicked cannot inhabit eternity for the same characters they died with, they will be resurrected with.

P.P.S. Ultimately hell is death (death is an enemy, the two deaths are enemies) , there is the first death but at the white throne judgment there will be a second death for the wicked and NOT an eternity of burning *shakes head*

The name of this thread is: "Repenting After Death" I answered the second part, the part you were speculating about. People cannot repent after they die! The book of Revelation is the Revelation of Jesus Christ and a person who reads, understands and obeys it is blessed. John the Baptist did not write Revelaltion, John the Revelator did. P.S. God has to vindicate His character and show all His creatures that He is trustworthy and His commandments are a necessity. His Word is sure and He said He will judge the wicked and that He will do. He will show why the wicked cannot inhabit eternity for the same characters they died with, they will be resurrected with. P.P.S. Ultimately hell is death (death is an enemy, the two deaths are enemies) , there is the first death but at the white throne judgment there will be a second death for the wicked and NOT an eternity of burning *shakes head*

You didn't answer anything. You just quoted a fairy tail. God has never given us any word. God has given us no message. God said nothing.

This idea that God is going to lord it over people when they are dead and throw them into hell anyway is stupid. It makes God out to be childish. Some guy is born with a tendency to want evidence before believing in something. Well that guy is screwed because God hates people like that. (Yet you never wonder why God makes people like that?) Somebody else is born with a tendency to magical thinking and accepting what his parents tell him without questioning it? Well that guy has the stuff God wants in heaven but if he was born to parent who have some other religion then God is going to throw him in hell too.

It's stupid and there isn't anything your fairy tail book can do about this stupidity.

Repentance after death is possible - the Bible says so.

Once again Thumbelina stumbles over her incorrect understanding of scripture.

http://www.godsplanforall.com/

http://mercifultruth.com/eternity.html

http://www.hopebeyondhell.net/blog/

These sites have the real truth.

Sinners are cast into the Lake of Fire to satisfy God's righteous judgement - but the gates of the Heavenly City, the New Jerusalem, stay open forever.

This is so that those who truly repent can leave the flames and enter into God's presence and stand before Him.

Thumbelina's Satanically-inspired lies can be disregarded.

Please do so.

BAA.

Repentance after death is NOT possible - the Bible says so.

That mythological purgatory doctrine comes in a variety of ways. A watered down version of it is the secret rapture fallacy that tells people they have 7 years throughout the tribulation to repent but nuh uh, they are all lies that the devil gave to false prophets to deceive people and cause them to be lost!

2 Peter 2:6 And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned them with an overthrow, making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly;

Jude 1:7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrah, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after unnatural lust, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

Did the people of Sodom and Gomorrah who got annihilated get resurrected in order to get another shot at being obedient to God?!

The wicked will be destroyed, NOT kept alive perpetually and tortured.

Malachi 4:1 For, behold, the day comes, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that comes shall burn them up, says the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.

2 Peter 3:7 But the heavens and the earth, which now are, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men.

The wicked (dead or still living) cannot repent after everyone is judged.

Rev 22:11 -12 He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.

12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be

Matt 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, you that work iniquity.

In Matthew 25, those parables never suggest that the disobedient/wicked will get another chance when God judges the earth's inhabitants.

God seals /marks His servants, He knows that they will remain faithful to Him.

Rev 7:3 Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads.

Sealing in the forehead means that the people willingly and intellectually choose to love and obey God.

God also gives a mark/seal to the wicked:

Rev 13:16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:

The wicked that are marked or sealed in the foreheads are like Cain (Cain had a mark in his forehead) and they willingly and intellectually decide to reject obeying God. The ones who get marked in the right hand are basically PERPETUAL secularists, atheists, ignostics, agnostics and lone ranger believers who had their heads in the dirt and did not resist the devil and actively follow God. They will be then forced to go along with the diabolical program of worshipping God the way the people in Babylon did when they bowed down to Nebuchadnezzar's statue; Nebuchadnezzar basically said , 'bow down or be killed' and many people did except for three.

Did the firstborns of the wicked in Egypt get another chance to live and then repent when they did not have the blood over their door posts? Rebellious people do not love the truth and they will not want to ( and therefore choose not to ) repent.

1 Peter 4:18 And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?

I mean it is common sense, if someone is being tortured with excruciating pain to believe in something, most likely they will go along with it just to get a reprieve. It would be like someone in a shot gun marriage and this WILL NOT bring happiness to them, God or fellow created beings. God wants people to repent BECAUSE they see His goodness. Hell is to destroy the wicked and God is hurt by it but He has to do it.

The bible talks about judgment and harvesting

Jer 8:20 The harvest is past, the summer is ended, and we are not saved.

Matt 13:30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

OT writers like David knew that the perpetually wicked will be destroyed, it says so in the imprecatory psalms.

The bible also warns about hardening ones heart when one is being convicted:

Heb 3:15 While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation.

^

Why warn people if they are going to have another shot?

With a stupid doctrine like 'don't worry, you have time, you'll get another shot after you die', people will not take salvation seriously and end up lost sad.png

These texts I listed are just the tip of the iceberg, the bible is replete with object lessons teaching that this ONE life we have is a probationary one.

Also, as stated in this post, the dead do not have awareness, the bible calls death a sleep. When a person is in a deep dreamless sleep can they do anything?

Your post is about how you interpret and how you think of the Bible verses. I want to hear the HS make the explanation, not a human. Thumbelina, you're not the HS, so I can't trust your opinion. We must hear the HS and nothing else.

Your post is about how you interpret and how you think of the Bible verses. I want to hear the HS make the explanation, not a human. Thumbelina, you're not the HS, so I can't trust your opinion. We must hear the HS and nothing else.

Ah, you naughty people ain't listening to the HS, maybe He's not snarky enough for you to listen to? ;)

• Super Moderator
Your post is about how you interpret and how you think of the Bible verses. I want to hear the HS make the explanation, not a human.

Ain't that the truth! The HS told me that T is full of shit and Jim Jones actually got it right. Glory!

Or did he say Grace Jones. Spike Jones? Whatever.

Your post is about how you interpret and how you think of the Bible verses. I want to hear the HS make the explanation, not a human.

Ain't that the truth! The HS told me that T is full of shit and Jim Jones actually got it right. Glory!

Or did he say Grace Jones. Spike Jones? Whatever.

The HS won't tell you anything contrary to scripture :P

All of you need spittle and clay for your eyes and God has lots of it! I still pray for Oddbird's eyes you know, both sets ( physical and spiritual) ;)

• Super Moderator
The HS won't tell you anything contrary to scripture tongue.png

Really, you are so funny!!!!

Explanation for T: It's funny because obviously the HS tells 30,000 or so different versions of the same convoluted texts. Of course, each one getting guidance and understanding from the HS claims, as you do, that it is the correct interpretation and strictly in line with the holy text. Get it? Funny!!!

Ah, you naughty people ain't listening to the HS, maybe He's not snarky enough for you to listen to? wink.png

You are not listening to the HS either. He's not real enough. That voice in your head is your own superego. Everybody has one.

Ah, you naughty people ain't listening to the HS, maybe He's not snarky enough for you to listen to? wink.png

I tried to listen to the HS for 30 years. I wanted to. And yet, here I am now. Don't say I didn't try. I did try.

Still, you talking, it's not the HS. Anything you say must be taken as an opinion, nothing else.