Goodbye Jesus

Repenting After Death

Xerces

1 Peter 3:13-22

Suffering for Doing Good

13And who is he that will harm you, if ye be followers of that which is good? 14But and if ye suffer for righteousness' sake, happy are ye: and be not afraid of their terror, neither be troubled; 15But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: 16Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ. 17For it is better, if the will of God be so, that ye suffer for well doing, than for evil doing.

18 For Christ also hath ref. Rom 5:6 once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, ref. 2 Cor 13:4 being put to death ref Col 1:21 in the flesh, but ref Rom 1:4 quickened by the Spirit: 19By which also he went and ref 1 Pet 1:12 preached unto the spirits ref Isa 42:7 in prison; 20 Which sometime were disobedient, ref. Gen 6:3,5 when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while ref Heb 11:7 the ark was a preparing, ref Gen 7:7 wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

21The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ: 22Who is gone into heaven, and is on the right hand of God; angels and authorities and powers being made subject unto him.

ref = cross references

Many people are CONFUSED by a portion of the above passage. They think that 1 Peter 3: 18, 19 ( 18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: 19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; ) is saying that Jesus' disembodied Spirit went to hell and preached to spirits who are dead, disembodied people. This is not the case and contradicts scripture.

It states that Jesus by the power of the spirit, went and preached to spirits held in prison.

The burden of proof is on you to establish beyond any doubt that Jesus never made such a trip or ever preached to disembodied spirits.

That's going to be difficult without denying what the text says, but I'm sure that won't stop you from denying it regardless.

You'll deny anything in the Bible if it doesn't suit your fancy.

That's been your consistent pattern.

You don't like this teaching, and as such, your personal whims will always trump scripture.

Unfortunately for you, your whims are not binding on anyone here.

You have no authority to define right and wrong interpretation.

You can only give your subjective opinions...oh but wait, you've already claimed that your teachings aren't subjective, they represent absolute truth as imparted to you by some celestial being called the "Holy Spirit" (which you've yet to prove as existing).

You fancy yourself to be an official mouthpiece for "God".

That's how deeply you've sunk into your own little fantasy world.

I'm thankful others have noticed this, and it was worth taking the time for you to expose yourself like that.

The doctrine does not contradict scripture and is affirmed by the Apostles' Creed, which states:

1. I believe in God the Father, Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth:

2. And in Jesus Christ, his only begotten Son, our Lord:

3. Who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary:

4. Suffered under Pontius Pilate; was crucified, dead and buried: He descended into hell:

Variation:He descended to the dead)

5. The third day he rose again from the dead:....

The Athanasian Creed also affirms the descent of Jesus into hell.

...Who suffered for our salvation, descended into hell, rose again the third day from the dead;

That's two key Christian creeds you've contradicted.

The burden of proof is on you to establish beyond doubt that these elements of doctrine were not derived from 1 Peter 3:19, and are in fact false and deceptive teachings.

Furthermore, you haven't established that the Christians that promote this creed aren't guided by the Holy Spirit.

You haven't even established that you're a genuine Christian.

Jesus did go to hell!

Jesus went to hell/the grave (hades) for us, the Holy Spirit's job (one of them) is to convict the World of their sin and present Jesus to them; John 3:16 sums that up. That's what Peter means that Jesus spoke (via the HS) to spirits in prison.

He went to hell and preached per 1 Peter 3.

I'm trying to show you my dear, but you are not listenin' or being noble like the Bereans.

One does NOT check doctrines out by the preacher, one checks the preacher out by checking his/her teachings by the Word! Surely you know in history the established church messed up and taught MANY things that were contrary to scripture; like one can pay their way into heaven. Martin Luther and others PROTESTED against those fallacious doctrines.

And surely you know that Luther messed up by claiming the the Book of James was an epistle of straw that should not be in the Bible.

He neglected and dismissed the Word.

He ignored the scriptural teachings which contradicted his doctrine of justification by faith alone.

All you're doing is pushing jello around the plate somehow thinking that it establishes something.

It doesn't, and your subjective interpretations aren't any more valid than those of others.

The bible interprets itself, one has to see what the entire bible says on any given topic to form a doctrine.

Obviously, the Bible does not interpret itself.

Christians cannot agree on even basic doctrines.

You haven't established that your subjective opinions are any more valid than those of the next Christian that comes here and teaches something different.

Yes Siree! The bible does indeed interpret itself and if you accept that spittle and clay and go wash in the pool of Siloam then you can see, darlin'.

Read the second and third sentences in my comment immediately above this one.

No, it does not.

Wishful thinking is not a substitute for validation.

You still haven't established that your subjective opinions are superior to those of other Christians.

I maintain that you can't do it, and perhaps realizing that you can't do it, you go back to your standard preach mode.

"Go wash in the pool of Siloam"...reveals your need to come here and attempt to instruct ex-Christians to worship your theological whims and fantasies.

This is typical of you, and you do it over and over again, hoping to beat people into submission through mere repetition.

Asserting does not equal establishing, at least not on this forum.

Centauri, it takes TIME to go through the texts but if you ditch watching Law and Order and other shows that fans your vivid imaginings of Christians coming to get you, then you can get through the texts ( I'm teasing, I don't know what you do but I believe you're s-c-a-r-e-d).

-----------------------------

Ok, I'll play along with your little game.

Thumbelina, it takes time to go through the texts but if you take time to stop absorbing the rancid Jesus juice you've injected yourself with, you might yet recover your senses.

I believe you're so s-c-a-r-e-d to face the possibility of having been duped into believing a lie that you need to come here to assert your "authority" over others.

Rather than turn your ambitions (of control over others) to instructing fellow Christians who can't properly understand their Bibles, you come here to dominate and preach.

It's clearly marked as "ex-Christian" but that only inflames your inner anger all the more.

Oh by the way, it doesn't take a vivid imagination to discern the thirst for power and control that Christians display openly.

A prime example of this religious fanaticism and thirst for power can be seen in the following statements, which are attributed to the radical American Christian cleric D. James Kennedy, a leader of the Christian Dominionist lobby:

"Our job is to reclaim America for Christ, whatever the cost…

As the vice regents of God, we are to exercise godly dominion and influence over our neighborhoods, our schools, our government, our literature and arts, our sports arenas, our entertainment media, our news media, our scientific endeavors -- in short, over every aspect and institution of human society."

(Sources: Rolling Stone online 4/7/2005, Christian Science Monitor 3/16/2005 regarding Coral Ridge Ministries Feb 2005 agenda rally)

This alone should give you pause before you make any other inane and clueless statements about my "imaginings".

Dude, I don't know if you had a Mommy Dearest experience or a scary Mrs. Robinson experience but you sure are scared. You poor baby, I don't want to hurt you so stop imagining craziness, OK?

Denial and deflection is your tactic here.

Your inablility to deal with the mission statement of D. James Kennedy, which expresses the goal of complete domination over others, is noted.

It's an extremely ugly facet of Christianity that you don't want to look at or deal with.

Either denounce Kennedy as a false Christian control freak or endorse his manifesto.

Pretending it doesn't exist won't make it go away.

Pfft, it just goes to show you did not and do not know the more sure word of prophecy. The bible says that just before Christ comes all these things will happen. There'll be an abundance of false prophets and false Christs and people will say what the Lord hath not spoken and they will try to force others to comply.

The so-called sure word of prophecy stated that Jesus would return within the lifetimes of some of his associates.

That prophecy was a flat out failure as was Peter's declaration that the end of all things was near.

Deal with these failures instead of pretending they don't exist.

Forced faith is false faith and people should be FREE to decide if they want God or not.

People aren't free when they are given an ultimatum to worship or suffer torment.

Your statement contradicts the New Testament.

If forced faith is false faith, then Christianity is promoting a false God.

Now Centauri, you are obviously an ex Christian conspiracy theorist and if you make yourself get all strung up on these things your lil' ticker will give out. You know if you go back to God you won't have to fear these things? You're a chicken walking around this den in a lion's costume and trying to eat an elephant in one fell swoop and it can't happen, bro'. But don't worry darlin', God loves a lil' chickadee like you and He wants to gather you under His wings.

Instructing people again?

The mandate of aggressive Christianity is quite clear, as the quote by D.J. Kennedy shows.

You couldn't deal with it.

And you once again go into preach mode, having been unable to establish anything of actual substance.

There's wind in the sails but the ship never moves.

Yeah but y'all are not WILLING to go back and forth in scripture to allow the bible to prove itself.

You sure do lie a lot. Of course I am willing to go back and forth in scripture to allow the Bible to do whatever it does. I attend Bible study nearly every week. We just started James.

It takes a willing person to see God's Word, the bible says so.

Thank you for demonstrating the fallacy of circular reasoning.

If the bible is supernaturally inspired ( I said if for you skeptics, I KNOW it is inspired ) then one needs to follow its instructions so one may get INSIGHT into its teachings.

Of course you know no such thing. If you knew it then you could produce the objective evidence that gives you that knowledge. I know that my state has given me a license to drive. I can show it to anybody and they will see a driver's license. It's objective evidence. This evidence verifies the idea. That is how I know. On the other hand you have an endless chain of circular thinking and no objective evidence verifying any of it.

Not being disrespectful but God favors I will more than IQ. The Pharisees were learned in the scripture and you know how that went.

You mean we know how that went in the fictional propaganda piece? It's fiction.

If Christ was lifted up you all would NOT have left Him for the bible says faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God. I have read a lot of debates on this site and many people were taught things that will repel them from God. Also, some were quite HONEST to say that although they went to bible college they still did not understand.

People who don't understand the Bible are the ones trying to force the words of men into being the word of God. They have to call it a mystery and rely on faith. The Bible says a lot of things that are wrong.

You all are NOT Borg, you are individuals . . .

True! Yes we are not of "one mind". Thank you for acknowledging that. It only took three tries.

True! Yes we are not of "one mind". Thank you for acknowledging that. It only took three tries.

*smirk* I am doing what God does and seeing potential in you LOL. Gotta give you some motivation to not be of one mind and for you to adopt the mind of Christ ;)

Ay, that's your usual craziness but I love you though.

<Snip>

I know I learn from other Christians.

So do I! Tell me Thumby, what do you call this wrestling move?

T-mudwrestles.jpg

• Like 1

*smirk* I am doing what God does and seeing potential in you LOL. Gotta give you some motivation to not be of one mind and for you to adopt the mind of Christ wink.png

You just had to bear false witness about us being of "one mind" a few times first. But now that you got that out of the way you can get on to God's work.

• Like 1

<Snip>

I know I learn from other Christians.

So do I! Tell me Thumby, what do you call this wrestling move?

post-4609-0-99028800-1332895755_thumb.jpg

Maybe Florduh will be happy now that he can see that pic.

*smirk* I am doing what God does and seeing potential in you LOL. Gotta give you some motivation to not be of one mind and for you to adopt the mind of Christ wink.png

You just had to bear false witness about us being of "one mind" a few times first. But now that you got that out of the way you can get on to God's work.

Nah, I told them that in the past, I told them they are not Borg but they act like it. I believe there's hope for y'all you know. Heaven needs to get some former sarcastic people to inhabit it ( I'll be in that group, I think lol).

A genuine Christian strives to keep the commandments of God and have the testimony of Jesus Christ. I have both, Sir.

If you really strive to keep the commandments of God, you'd be observing his law.

If you're genuine, you'd be able to perform at least some signs such as healing the sick, feeding the poor by manifesting food, and driving put demons.

Can you provide a list of nursing homes, mental wards, hospitals, or other institutions that you've graced with your power?

People CANNOT repent after they are permanently dead, their fate is sealed! ( See Ecc 9:10; Isa 38:18; Ecc 9:5; Job 14:21; Acts 2:29-34 )

So now it's become "permanently" dead rather than just physically dead.

That's a nice qualifier that you added.

Regardless, the spirits of the dead in 1 Peter 3:19 were preached to by Jesus.

If these souls couldn't be salvaged, then there was no victory to be proclaimed and no point in preaching to them.

I put permanently because of your not listenin' just debunkin' trick, when I told you the bible has TWO types of death ( The 1st death is the death we are subjected to and the 2nd death is destruction in hellfire ) you decided that people such as Lazarus did not qualify for my explanations. Just like the Pharisees, you Sir are being quite difficult but I know you're frightened so I gotta be patient with you

You still didn't address the issue.

If the spirits of the dead couldn't be salvaged, there was no point in preaching to them.

Peter was not saying that Jesus preached to disembodied spirits, he was saying that the people are NOW dead and those antediluvians were spiritually dead or in bondage when the gospel was preached to them for 120 years and they CONTINUE their imprisonment for they will die the second death.

Jesus went and preached to spirits in prison.

1 Peter 3:19

By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

A specific trip was made to preach to dead people because the end of the world was at hand.

1 Peter 4:5-7

Who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead.

For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer.

Centauri, the bible does not teach that people have innately immortal souls, that is a perpetuating of the devil's lie of " Ye shall not surely die:" and most of the world is STILL falling for it hook, line and sinker. They either teach that God will burn people forever which means that the people are innately immortal or they teach that the people will be in limbo or that everyone will get a free pass into heaven even though many people will be unrepentant. One needs to not follow popular teachings that contradict the Word but to study the Word for ones self and the texts WILL show exactly how good God is.

This Christian site doesn't seem to agree with you.

http://www.gotquestions.org/human-soul-mortal-immortal.html

"The unmistakable teaching of the Bible is that all people, whether they are saved or lost, will exist eternally, in either heaven or hell."

I also don't recall "the devil" ever being mentioned in Genesis or the Old Testament.

Cite the exact passage from the Old Testament that confirms your teaching.

Dude, you are not paying attention to anything I write and you don't study the bible yourself, you just go from religious site to religious site to supposedly debunk the bible by pitting the teachings against each another. Why don't you go the the bible and God and you'll get insight, ya chicken wink.png

The HS speaks to the believer and mainly through the Word. The HS would not instruct a believer to adopt doctrines that are contradictory to the Word. Therefore a person has to follow teachings that most closely follows the bible.

If this was really true, Christians wouldn't have changed the day of the sabbath, tossed out God's law on clean foods, adopted a pagan blood drinking ritual, and wouldn't worship a vicarious human sacrifice that was illegal according to God's law.

Every one of these is contradictory to the Word.

*shrug* Eh, the bible prophecy says these things will happen, people would THINK to change times and laws. Christians (true ones, ones adhering to biblical teachings) do not drink blood and sacrifice people, so stop saying that. Pagans and Jews were literally responsible for Jesus' crucifixion but ALL of us had our part to play for we ALL sinned.

I don't think there is any such thing as a "true Christian".

I've yet to encounter one.

Didn't a human sacrifice die to pay the penalty of sin?

Wasn't Jesus supposed to be fully human?

Was the blood drinking ritual a false teaching that Jesus instituted?

Even Paul confirms it and instructs it to be done with utmost obedience.

The HS speaks to the believer and mainly through the Word. The HS would not instruct a believer to adopt doctrines that are contradictory to the Word. Therefore a person has to follow teachings that most closely follows the bible.

If this was really true, Christians wouldn't have changed the day of the sabbath, tossed out God's law on clean foods, adopted a pagan blood drinking ritual, and wouldn't worship a vicarious human sacrifice that was illegal according to God's law.

*shrug* Eh, the bible prophecy says these things will happen, people would THINK to change times and laws. Christians (true ones, ones adhering to biblical teachings) do not drink blood and sacrifice people, so stop saying that. Pagans and Jews were literally responsible for Jesus' crucifixion but ALL of us had our part to play for we ALL sinned.

So you weren't a true Christian?

The incarnation is a mystery but God found a way take our place.

v

"In all honesty - ... do claim to know the Bible. But in my conversations, I have come across sheer lack of knowledge of the Scriptures, lousy hermeneutics, shockingly superficial & wooden literalistic interpretations, failure to trace doctrines throughout the Bible, inability to understand context, failure to take into account genre, etc."

Can a person crucify themself or is that an impossibility? He did NOT commit suicide!

Yeah but y'all are not WILLING to go back and forth in scripture to allow the bible to prove itself.

In other words, people here are not inclined to lick your boots.

You've had plenty of opportunity to actually establish your claims as being the absolute, objective truth you advertise them to be.

You've can't do it because your theological opinions are subjective.

They represent your perspectives based on your experience and desires.

You want everyone to fall in line with your perspectives.

You're obsessed with doing this.

I don't think anyone here has ever told you that you can't believe whatever makes you happy and yet you cannot afford that basic courtesy to others.

It speaks volumes about the polarized Christian mind.

It wants to expand its influence and dominate others.

It behaves like a virus.

It takes a willing person to see God's Word, the bible says so. If the bible is supernaturally inspired ( I said if for you skeptics, I KNOW it is inspired ) then one needs to follow its instructions so one may get INSIGHT into its teachings.

You're driven and obsessed to tell others what they need to do and believe.

They've already rejected what you want to sell them.

Do you ever stop and think how neurotic this makes you look?

You're painting a terrible picture of Christianity that harkens back to the mentality of the Dark Ages.

Dude, you are not paying attention to anything I write and you don't study the bible yourself, you just go from religious site to religious site to supposedly debunk the bible by pitting the teachings against each another. Why don't you go the the bible and God and you'll get insight, ya chicken

You can't address the points, refuse to establish your version of truth as absolute, and attempt to beat others into submission with a steady stream of repetition.

The Bible debunks itself as does Christianity.

Many skeptics are spreading TRIPE about God and the bible, believers should not be ashamed to defend false accusations. Posting on an internet forum in a place where debates are permitted is not forcing a belief on someone, my dear. I do like to bug you though, you talk to me but I can't force you to do so, right?

Dude, you are not paying attention to anything I write and you don't study the bible yourself, you just go from religious site to religious site to supposedly debunk the bible by pitting the teachings against each another. Why don't you go the the bible and God and you'll get insight, ya chicken

You can't address the points, refuse to establish your version of truth as absolute, and attempt to beat others into submission with a steady stream of repetition.

I attempted to but the darn didactic reasoning that skeptics do ... .

When Nicodemus was being smart alecky to Jesus when Jesus was expounding the Word, Jesus ignored his shenanigans! However, Nicodemus eventually got with the program.

There is no such creature as a "true Christian".

The law isn't a mystery and it forbids such a sacrifice.

"In all honesty - ... do claim to know the Bible. But in my conversations, I have come across sheer lack of knowledge of the Scriptures, lousy hermeneutics, shockingly superficial & wooden literalistic interpretations, failure to trace doctrines throughout the Bible, inability to understand context, failure to take into account genre, etc."

Can a person crucify themself or is that an impossibility? He did NOT commit suicide!

What does any of this have to do with it?

The sacrifice was illegal according to the law of God.

That was the point.

Many skeptics are spreading TRIPE about God and the bible, believers should not be ashamed to defend false accusations. Posting on an internet forum in a place where debates are permitted is not forcing a belief on someone, my dear. I do like to bug you though, you talk to me but I can't force you to do so, right?

Telling people what they must believe, while attaching eternal consequences to it, is tripe and a form of intimidation.

This is especially the case when they will not back up their claims with anything more than empty preaching and boasting.

There is no such creature as a "true Christian".

So the answer was no. I dunno, I think you were probably a nice Christian though I don't even know you.

I said incarnation. God's commandments are good and Holy and just. You're doing the didactic reasoning thing again. Did Christians literally kill Jesus incarnate or did His enemies do it?

When Nicodemus was being smart alecky to Jesus when Jesus was expounding the Word, Jesus ignored his shenanigans! However, Nicodemus eventually got with the program.

There's a good side to your spending so much time and energy here.

The more time you spend here berating and instructing people, the less time you have to spend attempting to intimidate other unbelievers.

Every minute you spend here is one less minute you have to prey on others.

Telling people what they must believe, while attaching eternal consequences to it, is tripe and a form of intimidation.

This is especially the case when they will not back up their claims with anything more than empty preaching and boasting.

I have a church member who was a window washer on the world trade center. He used to take his vacation in August every year for 15 years, I think. He would have resumed work in September. In 2001, God impressed his mind to start his vacation on September 11th and he did. His partner took his vaction in August as usual and perished while my church member did not. Who knows if God spoke to others and they did not listen. He probably told them to get a right relationship with Him or to not go to work that day, who knows? Well it's not intimidation to warn others of impending danger. My church member listened to God, he did not stick his head in the sand hoping the situation will go awayor say boo hoo God is a bully.

I said incarnation. God's commandments are good and Holy and just. You're doing the didactic reasoning thing again. Did Christians literally kill Jesus incarnate or did His enemies do it?

God's commandments and law are also supposed to be binding and observed.

The incarnation has nothing to do with the law.

That very law forbids a human sin sacrifice.

Who killed Jesus is irrelevant to the issue.

It didn't atone for the sins of anyone.

There's a good side to your spending so much time and energy here.

Maybe a brand will be plucked from the burning? ;)

Eh, I'm about to sign off. Goodnight Robotnik.

...Well it's not intimidating to warn others of impending danger. My church member listened to God, he did not stick his head in the sand hoping the situation will go away.

Yelling "fire!" in a crowded theater is considered an irresponsible act that "intimidates" people into a state of panic.

Your warnings of impending danger are not validated by anything other than the doctrines of a cult.

That cult can't even agree with itself on what teachings are true.

Nor can you establish that your version of God or your interpretations of an ancient set of cult writings have any consequence with regard to eternity.