Goodbye Jesus

Your Favorite Documentaries?

Guest sugRsuccubus

POM Wonderful Presents: The Greatest Movie Ever Sold

I will always be personally grateful for Ben Stein's "Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed." It was while researching rebuttals to it that I moved from deist to atheist and decided to pursue a career (still burgeoning) in science education.

I have to agree with this. When I watched this doc, I was almost ready to take the jump into atheism. The only Christian arguments that I was holding on to was, "How can you explain the universe beginning on it's own?" and "How can you explain the origins of life?" After watching this doc, it felt heavily one sided (and I was on that side at the time) and I didn't like trying to catch Dawkings off guard while he was in the dressing room, instead of addressing the issues in a casual setting, that too felt like uncomfortable to me. Then I read responses to the doc. Within a year I became well versed in the argument from ignorance, and began calling myself an atheist.

I was so shocked when I found out girls were having ops on their vaginas. Men are not immune to insecurity about their privates, either, and it saddens me.

Yeah, my junk mail folder reminds ever day how inadequate I am and I need this pill. And then women will all want me. And the stuff is perfectly safe, it's Canadian.

I was so shocked when I found out girls were having ops on their vaginas. Men are not immune to insecurity about their privates, either, and it saddens me.

Yeah, my junk mail folder reminds ever day how inadequate I am and I need this pill. And then women will all want me. And the stuff is perfectly safe, it's Canadian.

Yes well apparently my breasts are not large enough and I am in desperate need of refinancing my home. Pretty amazing ad targeting for a boy who is not a homeowner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXOmA2i7-Eg

Why We Fight (2005; d. Eugene Jarecki)

The Tillman Story

The Agronomist

Heir To An Execution

Capturing The Friedmans

Chisholm '72: Unbought and Unbossed

The Battle Over 'Citizen Kane'

for starters...

I just watched this. It's 1.5 hours. English. (they also have an Italian, Arabic, Russian version)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqxENMKaeCU&feature=watch-now-button&wide=1

I loved the ending. And I thought the perspective on the film was very unique.

See if you can see the 2 times the animals notice the cameras. Very funny.

• 4 weeks later...

I just found out that Connections can be viewed on Top Documentary Films. That's gonna take up a chunk of my time for a while...

Yes well apparently my breasts are not large enough and I am in desperate need of refinancing my home. Pretty amazing ad targeting for a boy who is not a homeowner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXOmA2i7-Eg

Damn I thought it'd be about

• 2 weeks later...

One of the most interesting, thoughtful docs I've seen. You might think it's anti corporate and moralistic from it's title, but surprisingly it weaves a trail through the world that is so, so much deeper. You will likely watch it and learn much about yourself and the society you live in. At least that was certainly true of myself. Do yourself a huge favor and watch it to the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6MWpxH-RlFQ#!

Viglie, that was an excellent video. Thanks for posting.

Yeah, I thought it was great too. It's one of those gems you stumble upon so rarely.

Yeah, I thought it was great too. It's one of those gems you stumble upon so rarely.

I thought one of the most interesting parts was the description of the psychopath - that even the expert who has studied them for years would not be able to tell for weeks or months if the person was one. That was scary.

We think that we can recognize fake people - people who are just putting on an act. Sometimes we can, but evidently psychopaths are so good at acting it is often impossible to tell something is seriously wrong until they have inflicted major damage.

Also the end of the film where it talks about the average person making a difference and the quiet heroes.

Awesome topic: Here's what I can think of right now: Overnight, My kid could paint that, Exit through the gift shop, Dear Zachary: A Letter to a son about his father (be prepared to cry and hate humanity ... still a good doc though)

I agree with this entire list and especially Dear Zachary. DZ was probably on of the most moving docs I've ever seen.

I would also add Project Nim, Brother's Keeper, Winnebago Man, Best Worst Movie, and Shut Up Little Man.

• 3 months later...

I've been trying to find good information on "the shifting of the poles on planet Earth" and finally found some. Excellent documentary on the subject, if you're interested and haven't seen it, I highly recommend.

It's entitled "Earth's Weakening Magnetic Field" and here is a link:

American Hardcore is my favorite and I don't even listen to punk.

I also like art films like Exit through the gift shop, though I think it might be a joke played by Banksy.

Nova: The fabric of the cosmos on PBS.org

Dark Days. It's about homeless people living in a specific train tunnel under NYC. I think it's still on Netflix. Very interesting, the filmmaker spends several months living down there with them, and follows a few of them later in life when they find homes and jobs. Also, the whole thing is in black and white (which I really liked, being very colorblind).

Holy shit. I'm only 17 minutes in, but there is more than enough there to remove the kids from this family. There is clear physical and psychological abuse taking place on the compound. Why aren't the authorities involved here?

I watched "The Bridge". It is extremely powerful. I don't think I could look at that one again - seeing people jumping to their deaths.

Oh yes I have seen that one too. A while back.

It is disturbing.

I have seen some of the ones mentioned already.

I know I have seen others that at the time i thought were good but can't recall them at the moment. My memory. Gosh!

Through the wormhole.

The Story of Marjoe:

<embed id=VideoPlayback src=http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-178629120699935619&hl=en&fs=true style=width:400px;height:326px allowFullScreen=true allowScriptAccess=always type=application/x-shockwave-flash> </embed>

All about child preacher Marjoe - he comes back as a non-believing adult, pretending to be a true believer, to preach in the pentecostal church he was raised in. It is an excellent doc for anyone who wants to have a clear understanding of emotional manipulation in the church.

Another good doc comes from NOVA, The Elegant Universe, which is all about string theory:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.c...bed/QH2rImNpW64" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>