Goodbye Jesus

Backmasking

MrsRoper

So this is gonna age me. But being on this website so much this week is making me remember so much of my Christan childhood. Did anyone else have those cassettes that played rock music backwards?

I remember their was a Queen song, I think it was We Will Rock. Backwards it said, "It's fun to smoke marijuana. It's fun to smoke marijuana." Apparently, the message I was supposed to get was that the evil rock band Queen was hiding subliminal messages in their music promoting drugs. A message I never would have gotten on my own if some asshat didn't run around listening to records backwards.

There was a bunch more. Do you guys remember any?

A lot of Christians still love back masking conspiracies.

The only subliminal messaging were those transmitted by the people trying to tell you there were messages in the backmasking. I have never heard a backmasking that sounded like what "they" said it sounded like.

Anyway, I can misunderstand regular "forward and unmasked" messages most of the time. How would a message spoken backwards convey anything to me at all?

Just wondering out loud here. . .

LOL!!!! Yep, I remember that! I recall hearing that Petra put some back-masking into one of their songs that, backwards, says "Why are you looking for the devil when you should be looking for the Lord" or something like that. Personally, I always thought it was a stretch. And who listens to their music backwards anyhow? Wendytwitch.gif

I'm more of a classical music buff, and back-masking didn't seem to really catch on in that genre. smile.png

So this is gonna age me. But being on this website so much this week is making me remember so much of my Christan childhood. Did anyone else have those cassettes that played rock music backwards?

I remember their was a Queen song, I think it was We Will Rock. Backwards it said, "It's fun to smoke marijuana. It's fun to smoke marijuana." Apparently, the message I was supposed to get was that the evil rock band Queen was hiding subliminal messages in their music promoting drugs. A message I never would have gotten on my own if some asshat didn't run around listening to records backwards.

There was a bunch more. Do you guys remember any?

Judas Priest was on trial here in Reno http://www.reversespeech.com/judas.htm cuz some idiot blew his face off with a shotgun after listening to some supposed backmasked Judas Priest tunes. Personally, listening to Judas Priest would make me want to kill myself whether or not it was backmasked. :-)

Well in most countries committing suicide is BREAKING THE LAW, BREAKING THE LAW.

LOL!!!! Yep, I remember that! I recall hearing that Petra put some back-masking into one of their songs that, backwards, says "Why are you looking for the devil when you should be looking for the Lord" or something like that. Personally, I always thought it was a stretch. And who listens to their music backwards anyhow? Wendytwitch.gif

I'm more of a classical music buff, and back-masking didn't seem to really catch on in that genre. smile.png

My fundy roommate in the 80s swore that 'it would get into your mind' even if you listened to it frontwards instead of backwards. :-)

the Queen song in question was 'Another One Bites the Dust'. I remember them playing it to us in our fundy school. in assembly we were asked to put up our hands if we listened to pop music; only a couple of brave souls put their hands up. we were then given a huge lecture (one of many) about how satanic pop music was. not just heavy metal; pretty much anything that wasn't Handel's Messiah. Even Mister Mister was accused of backmasking for Pete's sake!

Morons.

• Super Moderator

Oh I remember that too. Only it was for my kid's music, not mine. 0-picture.giflmao_99.gif

Seriously though, they came home from school (public school, but in the south) asking if backmasking was real because some of their friends had been given that particular "evil music" lecture at church. I had not heard the term but asked them if they knew anyone who actually listened to music backwards. No. After further discussion, they concluded that people looking for evil messages in backwards music either had too much time on their hands or were at least slightly whacked anyhow, so their opinion didn't matter.

As a Credence Clearwater Revival fan, I then played "Bad Moon Rising" for them. The line "there's a bad moon on the rise" has been misheard through the years as "there's a bathroom on the right." Being of elementary school age, that got a big laugh out of them. To this day, every time anyone in our family hears that song, we all sing the line as "there's a bathroom on the right."

Oh yeah I remember that all too well. There was this crazy dude on the Christian radio station back then who was freaking everyone out about that stuff. We actually burned our tapes b/c of it. So stupid! My parents made a rule that we couldn't listen to rock music in the house. So we took our "jambox" outside and listened on the driveway. Haha

I remember that. This past week I was listening to a Thinking Atheist podcast about how xtians find evil in everything. I can't tell you how many times I've thrown away and repurchased albums.

• Super Moderator
"there's a bathroom on the right."

There's a baboon on the right. We should start a Mondegreen thread.

Backward masking? Seriously? Who would waste the time and money while trying to produce records for maximum profit? How absurd to imagine a vast Satanic conspiracy between the various artists and recording companies. Even as a muddled-brain Christian I never believed any of this paranoia.

I seem to recall someone claiming evil in backwards "Stairway to Heaven" too. My church plays it on a regular basis though, so apparently it's not Satanic enough to deter them.

Backward masking? Seriously? Who would waste the time and money while trying to produce records for maximum profit? How absurd to imagine a vast Satanic conspiracy between the various artists and recording companies. Even as a muddled-brain Christian I never believed any of this paranoia

I've seen Christian propaganda where they claim that record companies do Satanic prayers and ceremonies over the master recordings.

That's one thing that just makes me so tired in retrospect: all the paranoia of Xianity. Always worried about hidden demons, secret messages, evil powers emanating from some object. ugh.gif

I barely remember those days. I don't have any examples, but, somewhat along the same lines, does anyone remember the acronyms xtians gave to KISS and AC/DC? Those were just as idiotic. Back when I was a xtian, the only thing I would listen to besides xtian music was country (which I can't really stand now, btw). I didn't get into rock and metal until I started to question my faith. But looking back on it and doing a little historical research, I'm a little surprised that those bands who were accused of backmasking, like Led Zepplin, Queen, etc, got as much attention as they did. They're music wasn't nowhere near as "evil" as say, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, or, in the 80's, Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth. I listen to mostly metal now, and I think it's funny that xtians are so uptight about heavy metal being the devil's music. It's never made me want to be a satanist, or commit crime, or anything else their puny unthinking minds dream up in fairy land.

• Super Moderator

You say ba-boon, I say bath-room. Yep, a Mondegreen thread would be fun. Hold me closer, Tony Danza.

happydance.gif

• Super Moderator
Yep, a Mondegreen thread would be fun.

Voila! Done!

(Or as they say around these here parts, Wallah!)

Backward masking? Seriously? Who would waste the time and money while trying to produce records for maximum profit? How absurd to imagine a vast Satanic conspiracy between the various artists and recording companies. Even as a muddled-brain Christian I never believed any of this paranoia

I've seen Christian propaganda where they claim that record companies do Satanic prayers and ceremonies over the master recordings.

this is exactly the scene depicted in one of those Crusader series of comic books i used to read as a kid. they were truly horrific and freaked me out. but i was a kid. hard to imagine grown adults would believe this shit.

Some comedian on the radio years ago had a bit where Satan was talking about selling backwards-playing record players to bat-shit crazy preachers so they could hear the Satanic messages! I would so love to hear that one again!

One of the backmasking seminar preachers I saw on TV went over a couple of genuine backward messages by ELO and some other group, then referring to the notorious Led Zep and other 'backward' messages actually said that, if there was a backward message there that wasn't put there by the artist/band, then it must have been put there by demons. Not that it was just a coincidence that it might happen to sound like something else backward. I thought that was just plain asinine.

this is exactly the scene depicted in one of those Crusader series of comic books i used to read as a kid. they were truly horrific and freaked me out. but i was a kid. hard to imagine grown adults would believe this shit.

In the digital age I'm sure the record companies do satanic prayers to the Pro Tools file.

In the digital age I'm sure the record companies do satanic prayers to the Pro Tools file.

You'd think the fact that, since it's probably more difficult to pull off in digital technology, that when it happened on records and cassettes it was all just coincidence, because I'm sure they believe satan has the power to pull it off on digital items as well. But no, they just along on their crazy way, preaching the dumbest shit they possibly can, as long as there's no logic to it, they're fine with it.

One of the backmasking seminar preachers I saw on TV went over a couple of genuine backward messages by ELO and some other group, then referring to the notorious Led Zep and other 'backward' messages actually said that, if there was a backward message there that wasn't put there by the artist/band, then it must have been put there by demons. Not that it was just a coincidence that it might happen to sound like something else backward. I thought that was just plain asinine.

One high school teacher I had pointed out in a tongue-in-cheek way that "live" spelled backwards is "evil" and "lived" spelled backwards is "devil." So be afraid to live! haha