Goodbye Jesus

Backmasking

MrsRoper

So this is gonna age me. But being on this website so much this week is making me remember so much of my Christan childhood. Did anyone else have those cassettes that played rock music backwards?

No, but I did see a film about alleged Satanic backmasking in music. The film was asinine, though. If I recall correctly, there were only one or two examples that sounded real, while the rest of the claimed backmasked messages were simply the Christians reading into it what they wanted to be there.

As far as playing tapes backwards, I do remember that Def Leppard had a song with reversed vocals. I copied the song onto a cassette, took the cassette apart and reversed the tape, and then reassembled the cassette and played it. What did I find? The reversed vocals were simply the chorus of another song on the album.

The only subliminal messaging were those transmitted by the people trying to tell you there were messages in the backmasking. I have never heard a backmasking that sounded like what "they" said it sounded like.

Anyway, I can misunderstand regular "forward and unmasked" messages most of the time. How would a message spoken backwards convey anything to me at all?

Yeah, nearly all of them were not at all saying what the religious nuts claimed they were saying.

I also thought it was silly to think that the mind could be brainwashed by backwards statements that we never hear. It seems like quite a stretch to say that our subconscious minds actually play the lines backwards.

LOL!!!! Yep, I remember that! I recall hearing that Petra put some back-masking into one of their songs that, backwards, says "Why are you looking for the devil when you should be looking for the Lord" or something like that. Personally, I always thought it was a stretch. And who listens to their music backwards anyhow? Wendytwitch.gif

I do remember that one specifically, it was at the beginning of Judas' Kiss. I suspect that was done because of all the hoopla in Christian circles about alleged Satanic backmasking.

Well in most countries committing suicide is BREAKING THE LAW, BREAKING THE LAW.

I have to wonder, though, what the punishment would be. ;)

One of the backmasking seminar preachers I saw on TV went over a couple of genuine backward messages by ELO and some other group, then referring to the notorious Led Zep and other 'backward' messages actually said that, if there was a backward message there that wasn't put there by the artist/band, then it must have been put there by demons.

The film I saw made that claim. Evidently these demons couldn't speak very well, since time after time after time again the lyrics played backwards were clearly NOT really saying what the film claimed they were saying.

Incidentally, even though I was an avid Christian at the time and believed in demons, I never bought this nonsense. I could see that the film producers were grasping at straws to hear what they wanted to hear.

My church didn't talk about backmasking, however I remember once in high school a kid brought a book to school that was written by a priest (Catholic, I think) about how Satanic basically the whole music industry was. What I remember is the part about "Hotel California" and how that has an underlying Satanist message. I don't think any of the kids in school took this particularly seriously though. It was more like when kids have slumber parties and tell ghost stories to each other.

The "Hotel California" rings a bell to me now. I remember some idiot claiming that the song was written about a hotel that was used to conduct Satanic rituals, including human sacrifices.

Well in most countries committing suicide is BREAKING THE LAW, BREAKING THE LAW.

I have to wonder, though, what the punishment would be. wink.png

Sentenced to life, maybe?

The "Hotel California" rings a bell to me now. I remember some idiot claiming that the song was written about a hotel that was used to conduct Satanic rituals, including human sacrifices.

I heard it's about cocaine addiction (i.e., stabbing the beast with their steely knives refers to cutting lines of cocaine to snort). But, what would I know? I'm so gullible I'll believe anything that sounds more than half-way rational.

This reminds me of the day in my fundy high school that our religion teacher showed us some videos which gave evidence of the, "evils of rock and roll". There was a short clip of an AC/DC music video. One of the goodie two shoes in the class fainted and had to go out in the hall. He just couldn't handle all that evil dry.png

It's about the music industry and the high life of LA.

Yeah, I can remember some if this crap from back in the 80s when we still had vinyl records to spin backwards. The church my family attended had some lessons about it. This only caused me to be more curious, and at the age of about 12 or 13, I felt that I just had to get this kind of music and see what would happen. Now, almost 30 years later, I still listen to Metal Music from time to time, and I have yet to see or hear Satan.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MARIJUANA...???

Seems to me that "God" would promote marijuana, and Satan would be anti-Marijuana, but pro alcohol. Of course this is based on my understanding of these invisible beings, and every "believer" understands them in different ways.

Seems to me that "God" would promote marijuana, and Satan would be anti-Marijuana, but pro alcohol. Of course this is based on my understanding of these invisible beings, and every "believer" understands them in different ways.

Some people think the Bible endorses marijuana, i.e. Genesis 1:29:

Then God said, "Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the surface of all the earth, and every tree which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you."

uh... if you ate EVERY kind of seed-bearing plant, you would die. some plants are poisonous. Thanks for that, God.

Some people think the Bible endorses marijuana, i.e. Genesis 1:29:

Then God said, "Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the surface of all the earth, and every tree which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you."

This is proof that God and Satan, are one in the same. And Christians can't prove that they aren't.GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

Excellent topic, and a great one to start me off on this forum (I usually post on the blog, so hi to those who know me from there! ;)).

Anyway, I distinctly remember the backmasking scares from when I was a Christian. All the usual suspects (Led Zep, Judas Priest, The Eagles etc). You'll notice now that the attention has moved away from rock (which was the music of choice for teens in the 80s) to hip-hop (the music of choice for teens today), what with all the scare stories about Jay-Z and Kanye West et al being devil worshippers.

I remember my mum buying me a Chick published book called 'The Devil's Disciples: The Truth About Rock' which expounded on many of the backmasking urban myths. My mum got me this book because she was worried about my taste in music (I listened to a lot of metal when I was a teenager, which would've been in the 90s in my case). Unfortunately for her, I saw through most of the BS in that book.

As for the Led Zep "Sweet Satan" message in 'Stairway', it's funny because if you listen to it WITHOUT the "transcript" in front of you, it mostly sounds like garbled, incoherent nonsense (as backwards music tends to), you only "hear" the supposed satanic message when you are told what it is. The book also made the claim that rock bands had satanic high priests chant incantations in the background of their recordings. Now that I am older and actually have some idea about the recording process (I make my own music), I can see just how ridiculous that idea is.

But yeah, as before, these scares haven't gone away, they've just been updated for a new age. Saying that, I would probably argue that Lady Gaga makes the music of Satan, but only in the sense that her music is so dire.

This reminds me of the day in my fundy high school that our religion teacher showed us some videos which gave evidence of the, "evils of rock and roll". There was a short clip of an AC/DC music video. One of the goodie two shoes in the class fainted and had to go out in the hall. He just couldn't handle all that evil dry.png

That may be my new favorite story. Do you think it was seeing someone play guitar in a schoolboy uniform? This is exactly why I never liked born again christians even when I was one. They have a dominant asshat proclivity.

This discussion reminds me of the fascination I had with the occult when I was a kid. I used to read my mother's copy of Every Wind of Doctrine. I knew more about Anton LeVey than any 10 year old whose parents weren't members of the Church of Satan should know. My mom let me buy any reading material I wanted from the christian bookstore. They had these teen novels that were just salacious, I mean they'd put Judy Blume to shame. It was always some drug addicted, 13 year old prostiute who then got saved. My girlfriends loved them, and not the god part at the end - they loved the salacious stuff at the beginning.