Goodbye Jesus

needing support from exchristians

Taphophilia

Unfortunatly for me, my daughter is a BAD girl (not really).

She one look at the morman boys and wanted to turn them bad.

Though, I did show her the pic of Daniel on his website and asked her what she thought. She said, *rolling eyes* CHRISTIAN!

I guess it's just the Mormans she found attractive in their nerdness.

... I thought "Why not - let's check whether the short form of "Messerschmitt 110" is available.

107750[/snapback]

Not exactly the sexiest WWII German airplane, but I suppose ME 262 was taken.

We're you pretending to be Rudolph Hess or simply avoiding being shot down by exhausted Hurricane pilot ?

I guess it's just the Mormans she found attractive in their nerdness.

107825[/snapback]

There is something oddly rebellious in a young agnostic girl being attracted to "bad boy" Mormon missionaries.

There is something oddly rebellious in a young agnostic girl being attracted to "bad boy" Mormon missionaries.

107904[/snapback]

rebellious, yes, I would say that is it.

She likes to go to the mall to see the Catholic boys in their uniforms there. She has also had expressed a desire to go to Catholic school, again for the uniforms.

AWANA is an acronym that stands for "All Workmen Are Needfully Approved"

107611[/snapback]

Strange; when I was brought up the society of fake-smiles known as AWANA, it stood for 'Approved Workmen Are Not Ashamed'.

108224[/snapback]

thanks for the correction. Can't you tell how much I got into it? I just called it Assimilation.

It seems like everywhere I go here restaurants, businesses, advertisements have a cross or that stupid fish sign.  I was thinking about going to the Unitarian chuch here, but they are a little too new age for me.  Also, I looked up this particular church's website and they have bible study and support groups for Christianity as a valid path.  Ugh!

106861[/snapback]

Hey Tad,

You certainly found an excellent place to keep your resolve up. While the Christians have oodles of places to keep their delusional hope alive, we have very few.

And it's really something you just have to accept that, in our day & age, we're still going to be outnumbered for a while. Though I do believe that the internet & other mass communication items will definitely help us spread the truth much more easily. (I believe I have seen some statistics to support this too, but I don't have the time to dig them up at the moment).

In the mean time, be happy that your youngin' is a smart, free thinker & that you've found the truth. That in itself can be a great comfort when having to deal with a treasure trove full of zealots every day. :)

Much love to ya.

I live in the Dallas area, and feel your pain.

GM, welcome from a fellow dallasite! There seem to be several of us here.

I didn't mean to be an attention whore.

It's ok, all whores are welcome here! :wicked: By the way, welcome!

It's tough to be an odd duck. I guess I didn't realize Florida was in such a state of faith. I've always thought Dallas was the buckle of the buybull belt. If you look around, you will find others like yourself, or at least who don't care. It took some keen observation at the place I work to find those who are not fundamentalist nutjobs. Out of forty people, I've found 2 I can talk to openly about religion and do not feel the need to hide that I'm an atheist.

How do you do it? You bring up subjects in the news that will set fundies off and see how people react without taking a position yourself. "Did you see Prop 2 that just passed? What do you think of that?" "I just saw Bush talking about faith based initiatives."

(if you see it isn't going well, interject with 'wow, I guess I hadn't thought of that before' to head off the natural questions they might have about your perspective. It makes them think you are just wanting the opinions of a sage and they will like you more for it instead of holding your dissenting opinion against you).

If they pass the first hurdle, you can be a bit more direct next time "kansas is debating ID. That seems pretty lame."

By the third conversation you know where they stand and can just outright say "I don't even believe in god anymore".

If you gain the trust of one individual, you can start asking them about others. Odds are they've done something similar already with a couple of others.

107711[/snapback]

Hi Spamandham

Nice to see another Dallas-ite here!

I've never had much problem stating that I'm an atheist to much of anyone, provided they give me a reason to (IOW, they have to bring it up or ask). I've always been pretty vocal about current "issues," so most people tend to think I'm just liberal, but then I'm also a gun-owner so I must not be all bad! LOL

Generally speaking, its not a big deal to much of anyone besides me. I tend to present arguements in such a way that religious belief seldom enters into things, even separation of church & state issues can easily be argued from a purely secular standpoint.

My boss never knew until a couple of years ago when I went through a two-year sick spell. He commented to me about not knowing what kind of "faith" I had to keep weathering things out the way I was, but he was envious. When I told him I was actually an athiest, his jaw about hit the floor! Its was probably a year or so after I started before my co-workers found out, and only then because someone made a comment about "the damned athiests," and then when I told him I kind of resented that remark because *I* was an atheist... they were all practicly stupified! The guy even apologized to me (profusely)! Once the cat was out of the bag, it was still the same guys and the same ol me.

I've generally had the best luck just by not making a big deal about it. Most people really don't seem to care, even the fundies. Way back when, a guy told me (almost apologeticly) he was praying for me even though he knew "I didn't believe in it" (about my illness, not my lack of god), and I just told him I considered it a compliment and thanked him (I think he thought I might jump on him about the futility of prayer or something). Not stepping on toes goes a long way too...

:lmao:

Looks kinda boring though. Where, pray tell, is the live burning-

at-the-stake demonstration, the re-enactment of the massacre of

Jerusalem's inhabitants during the First Crusade, the anti-Jewish

pogrom exhibit, the hall of executed heretics.....?

:lmao:

Looks kinda boring though.  Where, pray tell, is the live burning-

at-the-stake demonstration, the re-enactment of the massacre of

Jerusalem's inhabitants during the First Crusade, the anti-Jewish

pogrom exhibit, the hall of executed heretics.....?

108429[/snapback]

I think they have those here.

You really are the goat among the sheep Taphophilia.

But check out the goat and you will see it's happy to be alive.

They jump around with joyful enthusiasm.

Have a cheeky mischevious smile on their faces.

And love to butt heads with other goats.

But what of the sheep ?

They stand catatonic in the rain with shit on their asses.

I'd like to ask you something as well.

Being a single parent myself I was aware of the fact that christianity over here in Oz treated me like a leper when I was one of them.

They looked at me with my marriage failure and declared that I must have some nasty infectious sin virus and everyone kept their distance from me.

How have you been treated socially in your single parentness where you live ?

Do you think your isolation stems from this ?

The bible belt sounds horrible and in Oz I believe we don't have anything that resembles it so my thoughts are of you in your situation.

One day at a time, strengthen your inner resolve and look and you will find friends because they are looking for you.

Thank you Knowmad,

I like your analogy.

Where is Oz?

Taph