Goodbye Jesus

March 4, 1966 - John Lennon

Deva

It has come to my attention that on this date Lennon made this very famous statement:

Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue about that; I'm right and I'll be proved right. We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first—rock 'n' roll or Christianity. Jesus was all right but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me.[4][6]

http://en.wikipedia....ular_than_Jesus

I just wanted to commemorate it. I am barely old enough to remember some of the fallout from this statement. It was rather extreme at the time. I think the Baptist church was still trashing Lennon and the Beatles some two years later, when I first encountered fundamentalism.

Hopefully he'll be right.

Does it shrink? Did it shrink since he said this? Will it go or will it just transform in a new form (it did transform and adjust a couple of times through history). I'm afraid that most people need an illusion to go through life.

Edit: I found this too:

If the band's press officer, Derek Taylor, is to be believed, all four Beatles had abandoned their religious upbringings by 1964. In an interview for the Saturday Evening Post, in August of that year, he stated that The Beatles were "completely anti-Christ. I mean, I am anti-Christ as well, but they're so anti-Christ they shock me which isn't an easy thing." [5][6]

GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_beliefs_of_The_Beatles

I was fifteen when the Fabulous Five hit America! And an instant fan!

In 1966 I was diehard Beatles fan singing "Jesus is Just Alright with me!"

In the that year The Art Reynolds Singers released Jesus Is Just Alright on the album Tellin' It Like It Is.

What memories---

Long haired hippies, Jesus, The Beatles, and raging hormones! What a life!

Thanks Deva!

"A shout out" to John!