Goodbye Jesus

Salvation & Baptism In The Holy Spirit

VIP

...I am here because I am wanting to understand. I am searching.

Then I would suggest you learn how to ask mature and honest questions.

"I believe in Jesus, and I am totally against religion... My pastor was talking tonight"

Ironic you don't see the conflict here. 

"...and said two main keys to seeing miracles are salvation and baptism in the Holy Spirit, and talked about some other stuff."

This makes no sense to me.  So a group of people are standing in a square and God makes a miracle occur - none but the properly "saved" would see it?  Tell that to the egyptians that were supposed to have died when the Red Sea fell on them...  Or is he trying to imply that the miracles of god are just sooooooooo subtle that only someone whith "special sight" can see them?  See what I mean, either way doesn't really make sense...

• Like 1

Hi, I am new here and didnt know where I should put this.. I believe in Jesus, and I am totally against religion. I am not here to judge or condem. I am here because I am wanting to understand. I am searching. My pastor was talking tonight and said two main keys to seeing miracles are salvation and baptism in the Holy Spirit, and talked about some other stuff. I asked him some questions and told him that i signed up here and why. What he said made me start wondering about everyone here and wondered how many people actually said "the sinners prayer" and how many were baptized in the Holy Spirit.

----------

VIP (and any other True Christians™ who may be thinking of trying this approach on us, as VIP is apparently long gone), sorry to be the one to tell you this, but if you start talking about "Jesus" to anyone, anyone at all, it automatically becomes a religion.  Saying things like "It isn't a religion, it's a relationship" are just weasel words that attempt to separate your religious experience from the dog's breakfast of scriptural nonsense and indoctrination that birthed it.

As for judging -- I declare you guilty of doing exactly that, by calling into question our personal experiences in Christianity.  Unless you happen to be telepathic (and if you claim to be so, I will set up an appropriate test to verify or falsify that claim), you have no way of knowing what we thought or felt while we were believers.

Finally, when I was in My early 20s I was asked to say the Sinner's Prayer.  When I was speaking on the phone to the person trying to convert Me, I pretended to be writing it down on the pretext of saying it later.  I didn't actually write it down, and I never did say it.  The words of the Sinner's Prayer were intensely negative and fatalistic and bore no relation to My experiences in the real world, and I knew instantly that it was vicious-minded, slanderous BS that should never, ever be spoken by My lips.  (I cut ties with the proselytizer very shortly afterwards, by the way.)

• Like 1

I wonder how VIP would feel about actually reading his Bible? Most miracles were done around people who weren't believers. Good thing that "salvation + holy spirit baptism = miracles" formula wasn't canon back then, or we'd not have the stories about water to wine, walking on water, the miracle of the loaves and fishes, or hell, most of the Old Testament, when the miracles were mostly harmful events that happened to non-believers.

I'm so sick of the weasel words about "OH IT'S NOT A RELIGION... IT'S A RELATIONSHIP." No, dipshit Christians, it is a fucking religion. It's intellectual dishonesty like this example that makes me deeply distrust Christian honesty. If they can't even admit that they're selling a religion, what else are they deceiving me about? It's seriously like talking to multi-level marketing drones.

• Like 2

I'm so sick of the weasel words about "OH IT'S NOT A RELIGION... IT'S A RELATIONSHIP." No, dipshit Christians, it is a fucking religion. It's intellectual dishonesty like this example that makes me deeply distrust Christian honesty. If they can't even admit that they're selling a religion, what else are they deceiving me about? It's seriously like talking to multi-level marketing drones.

Everything.  Christianity is a mind f#ck.  Hate is love.  Love is hate.  Natural instinct is sin.  Evil deeds are obedience.  Christianity is about building a world view that doesn't make sense.  And they set it up so "the world" is the enemy which turns out to be anything that doesn't agree with the cult.

• Like 1

Oh shanda-ro-bo-bo-ro-bo-bo

Shanda la raba-santa-robo-baba

You seriously can't use this as evidence that your christian god is real. Glossolalia has been practiced in many religions. Do you research. 

VIP you sure you're preaching a doctrine that conforms with NT dogma? I bet you that you ain't. Your, and most modern chrusch's ideas of salvation and baptism are totally antithetical to what Paul wrote and believed himself. Your time might best be served reading these texts honestly -- i.e., in their proper historical context --- and learn a little bit about why Paul wrote what he did.

But if you want to take me up on that bet, I'll put 1k on the table!

Am I ever glad I didn't do the poll. This VIP posted only once and never responded to any of the many questions directed to him. Besides, the poll just doesn't describe me though I lived a most dedicated Christian life--probably much more so that VIP ever does.