Goodbye Jesus

Showing Interest

CDFree

Thumbelina,

If God's perfect love casts out fear, why do you fear to tell us if you are a Seventh Day Adventist or not?

If God's perfect love casts out fear, why do you fear to discuss the science of human evolution?

If God's perfect love casts out fear, why do you fear to discuss your Creationism with us?

Why do you fear to step outside of the Bible?

Why do you fear to face up to Big Bang Cosmology?

Why do you fear to compare the Bible's claims about Creation with what science tells us about it?

Hmmm.... ?

Well, since Thumbelina obviously cannot deal effectively with her fears, apparently "God's perfect love" is as much a myth to her as it is to us.

And this is someone who thinks she can teach us?

FFS, *I* figured out how to deal with My fears decades ago.

• As a kid, I was scared of pipe organs. I became a keyboard player and learned to play old Genesis tunes.
  • I was also terrified of speaking to people on the phone. Actually answering a phone was out of the question. I went on to become a switchboard operator at a hotel, and a receptionist at a busy accounting firm.
  • I failed My first 3 attempts at My MCSE SQL Server Exam, *and* My first 3 road tests. I got them both on the 4th try because I kept trying.
  • However, I left an abusive marriage on the *first* try and stayed gone. That was fucking terrifying, wondering if I'd run into Whatsisname around the very next street corner.
  • I've clung by My fingernails to a nearly 90-degree incline 1300 feet up the side of a mountain. I stopped looking behind Me at the highway a quarter of a mile below, and focused on the landing 10 feet above.
  • I used to be excruciatingly shy and had stage fright. I've played a lead role in a play; sung with choirs; allowed Myself to be interviewed for radio and print media; played with bands; acted in a film; read My own writing in front of audiences; performed (and occasionally won) kata at martial arts tournaments in 3 provinces; taught IT classes; even had My own radio show in college.

The only way to conquer a fear is to face it. We are the gods who rescue ourselves from the trials of our own lives.

And woe upon anyone who gives away their power to a fiction, rather than coming to terms with the things that frighten them.

• Like 3

• Super Moderator

Well, since Thumbelina obviously cannot deal effectively with her fears, apparently "God's perfect love" is as much a myth to her as it is to us.

• As a kid, I was scared of pipe organs. I became a keyboard player and learned to play old Genesis tunes.
  • I was also terrified of speaking to people on the phone. Actually answering a phone was out of the question. I went on to become a switchboard operator at a hotel, and a receptionist at a busy accounting firm.
  • I failed My first 3 attempts at My MCSE SQL Server Exam, *and* My first 3 road tests. I got them both on the 4th try because I kept trying.
  • However, I left an abusive marriage on the *first* try and stayed gone. That was fucking terrifying, wondering if I'd run into Whatsisname around the very next street corner.
  • I've clung by My fingernails to a nearly 90-degree incline 1300 feet up the side of a mountain. I stopped looking behind Me at the highway a quarter of a mile below, and focused on the landing 10 feet above.
  • I used to be excruciatingly shy and had stage fright. I've played a lead role in a play; sung with choirs; allowed Myself to be interviewed for radio and print media; played with bands; acted in a film; read My own writing in front of audiences; performed (and occasionally won) kata at martial arts tournaments in 3 provinces; taught IT classes; even had My own radio show in college.

The only way to conquer a fear is to face it. We are the gods who rescue ourselves from the trials of our own lives.

And woe upon anyone who gives away their power to a fiction, rather than coming to terms with the things that frighten them.

+100000000000

+100000000000

Seconded

A couple that is friends with a family member of mine just lost their 5 year old son last week. His parents are strong Christians, his mother was asking WHY?!!!! What hope does atheism offer them?

Is hope going to bring the kid back to life? No. And I'd say atheism offers relief from fear and guilt imposed by xianity.

The bible cannot be read like a secular text book, hon'. The texts are not twisted, it's unlearned atheists that do not understand them. I like this ws but in my time looking at atheism out there (I've been to other websites and boy oh boy ... ) I find some of the atheists to be some of the most close-minded people ever, they actually helped me to fully understand the mindset of the pharisees. However the # 1 reason I see for the attitudes is that they're fed up and they misunderstand God and they don't know how to study the bible and well, they're not meek enough to learn.

Or they fully understand that xianity is total BS.

A couple that is friends with a family member of mine just lost their 5 year old son last week. His parents are strong Christians, his mother was asking WHY?!!!! What hope does atheism offer them?

Is hope going to bring the kid back to life? No. And I'd say atheism offers relief from fear and guilt imposed by xianity.

While I was a Christian I've lost uncles, aunts and grandparents. Now I am an atheist and it just so happens that the clock is ticking with more losses in my future. I don't look forward to it but I think accepting death for what it really is will be healthier than repressing the loss through delusion.

I am sorry about your painful experiences. God does not promise us a pain free existence. Understanding in the bible comes to people who want to follow God with their whole heart (sometimes it may take years for someone to get it) . If there is some cherished sin (that sin can even be being self sufficient) it can block God from manifesting Himself to them.

Because sin is apparently more powerful than the almighty god! bullshit.

The bible gives undersatanding to the SIMPLE. God created man to be intelligent, Christians need to find ways to expound the Word to others but if a non Christian is seeking after God with their WHOLE heart God makes a way for them to find Him.

The church loves the simple minded. They are easy to control.

God's perfect love casts out fear so your ocd was from a wrong concept of God or you not letting go and letting God lead or it can be purely chemicals in your body acting up. God may seem to not answer and I am sorry for your pain, I don't understand about your personal struggles but God does answer eventually. I can't picture you being gored in the butt, maybe very few of these other lions (it's a joke, this is the den) but not you and not the lionesses either, OK. The bible does talk about suffering but skeptics refuse to believe it.

Holy shit! This bitch knows EVERYTHING about god and your life!!! How did she get so much knowledge? Oh yeah, she's talking out her arse.

While I was a Christian I've lost uncles, aunts and grandparents. Now I am an atheist and it just so happens that the clock is ticking with more losses in my future. I don't look forward to it but I think accepting death for what it really is will be healthier than repressing the loss through delusion.

Well, yes. Thumb acts like losing a loved one is the end of the line for the survivors as well. Give me a break. Gosh how do Atheists and other non-xians manage to enjoy life without hope provided by a diety? Maybe we dont sit around thinking about stupid shit like that and just live and enjoy life! When your life is full of fear because it is based on the continual mandatory appeasement of some non-existent authority figure then I suppose you would need to worry about 'hope' frequently. But I dont. I generate my own contentment.

If God wants my worship, he's going to have to do better than answering me "eventually." If he wants my love, he's going to have to do better than telling me I have to want to believe in order to believe (confirmation bias much?). Thumby's universe-with-God looks precisely like an atheist's universe-without-God. She absolves her deity of all responsibility whatsoever for actually doing what his supposed word says he will. I find that approach far too forgiving. A covenant is between two entities, and both have responsibilities for upholding that agreement. God doesn't do shit, but he gets the benefits of an obedient, willfully ignorant and stubbornly gullible populace that creates evidence for his action out of sheer coincidence and excuses his every atrocity with a blithe punt to mystery.

Frankly, I'd say a review of the covenant's conditions is in order for Thumby.

Thumbelina (I like the story that inspired your handle),

Look back at what you have been doing here. You want to accuse people who do not accept the Bible as an absolute authority of not understanding it.

Think about what you are trying to sell here.

You have a magic book and only really special people can really understand it because the book is so magical. Those who have read this book and later decided that it is not an absolute authority are not really psecial people so they can't realy understand the magic book no matter how nuch they may have thought they did in the first plac. Because if you are not a special person you can't understand that magic book.

Would you buy that pile of bullshit if it were applied to anything other than your religion? The answer is no. The argument is too stupid to be taken seriously. You are giving your cult a free pass in a way that you would never give to anything else. (assuming that you are over the age of three.)

• Like 1

LOL You're funny. Why you gotta exaggerate, huh? I publicly slandered? Did I give a name, address, telephone #?

The lack of name, address and telephone number is irrelevant. You did give sufficient details to clearly identify the woman to anyone in your congregation who knows her. I think it would be absolutely delightful for one of those people to stumble upon your post and "out" you to your church buddies.

Well, I see you took over Centauri's role of being the main arbiter around these parts smile.png Were you there when those events transpired? You don't even know if I'm at the same church location. Relax, I've only mentioned that incident to you guys and two other people in my household. Also, a blind person with wooden glasses could have seen that that lady was stuck up so if she's still like that it won't be a secret. If she changed, they probably forgot about it.

However, the primary reason I'm so furious with you is this: Your little anecdote about that woman shows that you are a condescending bitch who pretends at humbleness. Rather than seize the opportunity to deal with your own shyness, you passive-aggressively vent your jealousy and insecurity by making snide remarks to other people about seeing "Chopin" on the bus.

Thumbelina, you're the Pharisee in Luke 18:11, loudly singing his own praises in the temple. How's that working out for you?

Are you able to read the thoughts and intents of my heart? It is the Lord who judges me. He knows I'm a mess and He's still working on me. You don't know my personality or my experiences. I grew up around some godless people and one thing I recognized was covetousness ( I did not know that word at that time but I knew it was wrong for I used to read Aesop's fables and I knew about the fox and the grapes and other stories. Ha! God used Aesop to touch me) and jealousies and competition among them. All of those things made me yearn for God. I did not associate with those people. I avoided catty females like a plague and I never had any problems in school (all girls) except one time when I was 7 or 8 and I slapped a bully when she was trying to push me around. I wasn't a Christian. After I became a Christian I did lose my temper when I was tired and I threw something across a room (I'm not justifying what I did). I threw it because this lady was taking advantage of me. Anyway she told on me and I admitted that I did it. You know what I was told? The lady in charge looked me dead in the eyes and said she did not believe I did it and that I would do something like that. She said that she believed another sassy secular girl would do that but not me. lol She did not believe I did it. It's basically only the people of my household that see my "wrath" biggrin.png

At that time I called the lady "Chopin" but now I would say she was behaving like Mrs. Olsen. I HOPE she is not snooty anymore, as the OP stated, incidents like that will discourage others. At that time I decided to cope through humor. Jesus had a pretty good sense of humor and His altercations were with the church Pharisees and NOT the common sinners. I had a church Pharisee/WARDEN in my life when I was a child, maybe that lady's behavior triggered something in me, I don't know. Before I became a Christian I was observing Christians and one time this Christian guy got his girlfriend knocked up (pregnant) and the Pharisee let him have a good tongue lashing I guess. The guy who got scolded was a pretty easy going guy, always smiling, did not raise his voice. On the night he was scolded he was supposed to drive the warden home. After he got all the way down to where he was going he called and said he forgot that the warden was not in the car. Here's the kicker, the warden ALWAYS sat in the front seat of any car so how can he not realize the warden was missing? When we realized what went on we had a GOOD laugh; even now when we reminisce about that we laugh at the warden. I reserve the right to SOMETIMES laugh at church pharisees, especially the ones in the bible.

Thumbelina said: Oh, I tend to joke, my personality necessitates I laugh otherwise I'll be a grump grump like some of y'all

You *do* know that I write, read, watch and critique humour, Thumbelina? I do happen to know what's funny and what is not.

You are not funny.

Nope, didn't know you did those things. You personally may not think I'm funny but other people with a similar personalty to me may just get my humor. Alas, I have SOME of the Seinfeld brand of humor. As a Christian I have to make sure I don't over do the jokes though.

Your so-called "jokes" are insulting, condescending and verbally abusive. You refuse to treat us as adults and insist on playing God's Appointed Scolding Mommy rather than holding a genuine dialogue with us. We've told you repeatedly to cut out that infantile crap. Please explain, in 20 words or less, why you refuse to do so.

I generally dialogue with people on here who don't mind (seem to mind) my sense of humor. I don't want to hurt anyone ( I admit I can be blunt) so I stay in my comfort zone and bother the tough lions, I even ask the ones I tease the most to let me know if I cross a line with them.

I try not to be too subjective but I do recognize that there are some people on here who do not know the gospel and they misquote the bible left and right and I am permitted to address that.

I do not much care for your schoolmarm-ish tactic in trying to limit my words. You may request a word limit as you are free to do but I am free to decline said request wink.png

I am inexperienced in this so maybe you can enlighten me on how I am to respond to adult dialogues such as these:

Post # 99"Thumbelina, your commentary on this woman and her daughter clearly shows your true colours, and those colours are various shades of gangrene-black and shit-brown.

You are a disgusting, judgmental, superstitious turd. ..."

post # 583

"Thumbelina, I *still* would physically throw you off My property.

But this time I'd start up on the third floor rather than the second."

Personally, I think a nice sense of humor was/is called for in that situation. How would you respond if you were me, huh?

That being said, I do recognize my faults and some of it has been revealed to me just by me posting on this website. Unlike humans, my God is quite forgiving and patient with me.

Relax, I've only mentioned that incident to you guys and two other people in my household. Also, a blind person with wooden glasses could have seen that that lady was stuck up so if she's still like that it won't be a secret. If she changed, they probably forgot about it.

Thumbelina, you simply should not have mentioned the incident at all because the other party is not here to defend herself. Now you're compounding your shameful behaviour by making excuses about it.

Are you able to read the thoughts and intents of my heart?

I don't need to, Thumbelina. Your behaviour on this forum tells Me everything I need to know about you. Like this nonsense:

I grew up around some godless people and... {snip copious amounts of unsolicited personal rambling and yet more tales of people who aren't here to defend themselves} ...I reserve the right to SOMETIMES laugh at church pharisees, especially the ones in the bible.

Then start laughing at yourself, Thumbelina. If it walks like a Pharisee and talks like a Pharisee, I think it's reasonable to assume that it *is* a Pharisee.

You personally may not think I'm funny but other people with a similar personalty to me may just get my humor. Alas, I have SOME of the Seinfeld brand of humor. As a Christian I have to make sure I don't over do the jokes though.

You've clearly been asked to stop. Do so forthwith.

...I try not to be too subjective but I do recognize that there are some people on here who do not know the gospel and they misquote the bible left and right and I am permitted to address that.

That in itself is highly subjective. You choose to ignore the fact that this is a forum for ex-Christians, and that we do, in fact, know the Gospel very, very well. I have not seen any credible argument from you to support your implicit assertion that you know the Gospel better than us.

Stop disrespecting our experiences and our knowledge just because we came to a different conclusion than you.

I am inexperienced in this so maybe you can enlighten me on how I am to respond to adult dialogues such as these:

Thumbelina, your commentary on this woman and her daughter clearly shows your true colours, and those colours are various shades of gangrene-black and shit-brown. You are a disgusting, judgmental, superstitious turd. ..."

Thumbelina, I *still* would physically throw you off My property. But this time I'd start up on the third floor rather than the second.

Personally, I think a nice sense of humor was/is called for in that situation. How would you respond if you were me, huh?

Me? If someone started publicly fantasizing about perp-walking, manhandling or outright tossing Me headlong down 2 flights of stairs, I'd seriously wonder if I had outstayed My welcome on the forum.

And if someone objected to an unsubstantiated, subjective and insulting story I had told about a stranger, I'd stop posting crap like that and I'd stop making excuses for it.

Unlike humans, my God is quite forgiving and patient with me.

No; merely nonexistent. I think you use your mythical god as an excuse so that you can repeatedly behave badly while simultaneously telling yourself you're becoming a better person. Apparently your god needs to hold you to a much higher standard behaviour-wise, because IMNSHO you've actually lost ground since you arrived at Ex-C.

• Like 3

Thumby, I also find you rather catty and passive-aggressive. The urge to armchair analyze what makes a person act this way is powerful, but instead of succumbing I'll just say that you are not cutesy, funny, or endearing in the least. I also thought your insulting story was out of line, but your excusing it the way you did was just appalling. I'm lost as to why you don't grasp simple human empathy.

Your god does not exist, so of course you are free to plaster whatever characteristics you like on his skinny shoulders. But while you are embarrassing yourself and alienating real people in hopes of some eternal reward, the rest of us will try to learn how to get along in the one life we know for 100% sure we get.

PS: Seinfeld sucks and that you think you are like it speaks volumes about your malfunction. I suggest you stop glorifying yourself like that. You aren't nearly witty enough to crow about your skill with humor.

• Like 4

Look back at what you have been doing here. You want to accuse people who do not accept the Bible as an absolute authority of not understanding it.

Think about what you are trying to sell here.

You have a magic book and only really special people can really understand it because the book is so magical. Those who have read this book and later decided that it is not an absolute authority are not really psecial people so they can't realy understand the magic book no matter how nuch they may have thought they did in the first plac. Because if you are not a special person you can't understand that magic book.

Would you buy that pile of bullshit if it were applied to anything other than your religion? The answer is no. The argument is too stupid to be taken seriously. You are giving your cult a free pass in a way that you would never give to anything else. (assuming that you are over the age of three.)

Astute observation, Godless!

What Thumbelina thinks she's championing is the plain and simple Good News of Jesus Christ, which is for everyone, regardless of their rank, status or ability.

What she's actually doing is giving us her 'special' understanding of the Bible, based upon hidden meanings and secret knowledge. Such 'special' knowledge is the exact opposite of the Good News because it's elitist, hierarchical and depends on intellectual ability.

The many contradictions in the Bible need highly convoluted arguments to resolve them and folks like her (who assert that scripture is in harmony with itself) are forced to rely on these hidden and secret understandings to force square pegs into round holes. That's why Thumbelina loves chiasms and such nonsense. They make her feel 'special' because they let her see deeper truths, where others only see confusion and contradiction.

She feels good when others openly admit they see only contradiction in scripture. Because she doesn't, she must therefore have a 'special' and 'deeper' insight into God's word. He must have blessed her and given her the 'special' ability to see what others cannot or will not. Also, the fact that others see only confusion, just confirms to her that there is harmony in scripture and that she is special in God's sight.

Interestingly enough, Astreja's comment about Thumbelina being a Pharisee is right on target - not just about the issue of laughing at others, either. No. She's also a Pharisee, when it comes to this 'special' knowledge of hers. That's what the Pharisees in Jesus' time thought they had - a deeper and truer and more 'special' understanding of God. Their 'special' way was thru the Law of Moses, applying it in minute detail to every aspect of their daily lives. They thought that by doing this, they were bringing themselves closer to God. As we know, Jesus thought exactly the opposite. He told them so and they either scoffed, denied it or failed to see it.

Matthew 23: 1-4

A Warning Against Hypocrisy

1 Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples:

2 “The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat.

3 So you must be careful to do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach.

4 They tie up heavy, cumbersome loads and put them on other people’s shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to lift a finger to move them.

Thumbelina's chiasms and special meanings are the heavy, cumbersome loads she wants to put on our shoulders. She makes understanding scripture hard, not easy.

Matthew 23: 13.

Seven Woes on the Teachers of the Law and the Pharisees

13 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You shut the door of the kingdom of heaven in people’s faces. You yourselves do not enter, nor will you let those enter who are trying to.

By making scripture difficult and complex Thumbelina shuts out most of the human race, who can never meet the elitist standard she sets.

Sorry Godless! Sorry Astreja!

You guys are right, but Thumbelina will just do what the Pharisees did. She can't or won't see that she's just like them... so she'll deny it, scoff or exclaim, "What? Me?", in blank incomprehension.

Please pay no attention to what she writes, but look at her actions in this forum - they tell the true story of what she is. Has she hurt people and been unable to see how she did it? Has she hurt people and denied it? Has she hurt people and failed to apologize? Has she teased and scoffed and taunted? Has she displayed any empathy with anyone else's point of view? Has she tolerated any other position on Biblical matters than her own? Has she placed herself above others, by claiming 'special' knowledge and 'deeper' insights?

'nuff said?

BAA.

• Like 2

Thumbelina said: Relax, I've only mentioned that incident to you guys and two other people in my household. Also, a blind person with wooden glasses could have seen that that lady was stuck up so if she's still like that it won't be a secret. If she changed, they probably forgot about it.

Thumbelina, you simply should not have mentioned the incident at all because the other party is not here to defend herself. Now you're compounding your shameful behaviour by making excuses about it.

Thumbelina: It was in keeping with the title of this thread. I can IDENTIFY with the OP. So, let me ask you this, God forbid but if I were to renounce my faith and state what I said, will it then make it OK for me to mention it? If we follow your advice to its "logical" conclusion then NOBODY can give a testimony or extimony if the person (whom they do not give names or location) is not there to defend themselves. Do you not see that?

Thumbelina said: Are you able to read the thoughts and intents of my heart?

I don't need to, Thumbelina. Your behaviour on this forum tells Me everything I need to know about you. Like this nonsense:

I grew up around some godless people and... {snip copious amounts of unsolicited personal rambling and yet more tales of people who aren't here to defend themselves} ...I reserve the right to SOMETIMES laugh at church pharisees, especially the ones in the bible.

My testimony and things that I WITNESSED is nonsense? I grew up around mostly irreligious people. You want me to be disingenuous? SOMETIMES incidents with church pharisees are quite funny. I'd rather laugh than go into a depression or hurl emotional vituperative at them. I believe God is in control and He will deal with whatever, my coping mechanism is humor. As I said previously, I need to make sure I don't go overboard.

Then start laughing at yourself, Thumbelina. If it walks like a Pharisee and talks like a Pharisee, I think it's reasonable to assume that it *is* a Pharisee.

Well if I was a Pharisee I would not be open to CONSTRUCTIVE criticism; I would NEVER admit to having faults. I would have never admitted to being a snooty secularist and that I have to look out for my old ways rearing its head. I do admit to having faults, I've been admitting it on this forum for a long time. Having faults does not mean I can't share what I do know about Jesus with others. John wrote that he John was, "The disciple whom Jesus loved". He was not boasting, a pastor said that in the original language it basically means that Jesus loved him inspite of. Jesus had actually called John a name (Boanerges) that would basically mean hothead. I came into church all self righteous, I seriously thought my only sin was not going to church but as I read the bible I saw faults but interacting with skeptics has been showing me faults of mine that are still present. It won't be so easy to see with people who agree with me and think I'm a sweet girl. Heck, even a secular lady called me sweet and innocent. I can know more about my foibles and sin by throwing myself into a den of lions.

Thumbelina said:I try not to be too subjective but I do recognize that there are some people on here who do not know the gospel and they misquote the bible left and right and I am permitted to address that.

That in itself is highly subjective. You choose to ignore the fact that this is a forum for ex-Christians, and that we do, in fact, know the Gospel very, very well. I have not seen any credible argument from you to support your implicit assertion that you know the Gospel better than us.

Stop disrespecting our experiences and our knowledge just because we came to a different conclusion than you.

Your saying my opinion is highly subjective is subjective wink.png I don't think that it is too subjective so yes, I choose to address it. I disagree, if you knew the gospel very well you would not be ex Christians. I'm still a Christian that's some evidence. I am not disrespecting anyones experiences, I actually did shed a tear or two reading about some people's experiences. In one particular case I felt a mixture of sadness and frustration because someone was being treated badly by church pharisees but did not have the knowledge to point out from the bible where the pharisees were wrong to do so. See? That's why Pharisees hit a nerve with me.

I was semi shunned by some BEFORE I became a Christian and I've had few experiences with some after. Some pharisees tend to like me because I'm quiet but I did see them hurt others, I was pissed but I held my tongue. It would have been a waste of breath anyway, A true Pharisee cannot see their faults. What I did do was eventually give them some reading material that talks about how Christians need to examine themselves etc.

Thumbelina said:I am inexperienced in this so maybe you can enlighten me on how I am to respond to adult dialogues such as these:

Me? If someone started publicly fantasizing about perp-walking, manhandling or outright tossing Me headlong down 2 flights of stairs, I'd seriously wonder if I had outstayed My welcome on the forum.

And how many people on this forum expressed having such violent fantasies?

Nuh uh, no dice, I have to count the cost -- a few online threats over some brands being plucked from the fire? I once had a crazy-as-a-fruit bat atheist on another website tell be to 'bleep off and die', in all caps!!! However, he went on the net searching for me, he found a Christian from Canada with a blog and her name was similar to my username. You never know maybe your threats simply mean you agape love me and you're trying to hiiiiide it. *wait for it, I expect yelling after this*

And if someone objected to an unsubstantiated, subjective and insulting story I had told about a stranger, I'd stop posting crap like that and I'd stop making excuses for it.

As I said above it was in keeping with the topic of this thread. The lady was all smiles and friendly but she did not mean it. The bible is a Christian's rule book and the bible does say what she did was wrong. I had mentioned on here that I know a Christian who thinks it's OK to let a woman cook, clean and be intimate with him but he won't marry her because his money is for his children and grandchildren. He also basically thinks gays deserve being ridiculed and I think he was not sympathetic to them being bullied. I got NO objections when I mentioned that so how come the lady I mentioned who had the "cleaner" sin should be able to get away Scott free? Her type of sins need to be addressed for they do hurt others and discourage them. People with the cleaner sins are PITBs (Pains in the behind).

Thumbelina said: Unlike humans, my God is quite forgiving and patient with me.

-----------------------------

No; merely nonexistent.

I'm willing to obey Him so He manifests Himself to me in different ways.

I think you use your mythical god as an excuse so that you can repeatedly behave badly while simultaneously telling yourself you're becoming a better person.

I hope not.

Apparently your god needs to hold you to a much higher standard behaviour-wise, because IMNSHO you've actually lost ground since you arrived at Ex-C.

Yes God's standard is way high which is why I know it is IMPOSSIBLE to be saved by works alone ( I threw in that last part for Centauri) You mean I had gained some ground on here? Hmm, maybe some of you lions are actually little kittens. Yeah I'm realizing I can get zealous and combative; I can't stand atheism but I like some of the atheists, I need to be balanced.

Yeah, small people. My secular friend called me Betty Boop but I'm mostly quiet.

I disagree with the rest of your post but I'll say what's up to you.

Well, yes. Thumb acts like losing a loved one is the end of the line for the survivors as well. Give me a break. Gosh how do Atheists and other non-xians manage to enjoy life without hope provided by a diety? Maybe we dont sit around thinking about stupid shit like that and just live and enjoy life! When your life is full of fear because it is based on the continual mandatory appeasement of some non-existent authority figure then I suppose you would need to worry about 'hope' frequently. But I dont. I generate my own contentment.

How would you have handled this, Mr. easy life?: http://gma.yahoo.com...ews-health.html

Guest Valk0010

How would you have handled this, Mr. easy life?: http://gma.yahoo.com...ews-health.html

I wish there was a hell for you to go too.

If we follow your advice to its "logical" conclusion then NOBODY can give a testimony or extimony if the person (whom they do not give names or location) is not there to defend themselves. Do you not see that?

I've thought about that, Thumbelina. The difference is that you suffered no particular injury from that's woman's actions. You didn't have a horse in that race; you were just gossiping and slandering her because you didn't like her attitude.

Some of us here, however, have suffered terribly because of the thoughtless and often criminal behaviour of believers. These are things supported by real-world evidence, much of which would stand up in a court of law. Others, like Myself, came to moments in our lives where the battle was between ourselves and what we were asked to believe, and the belief simply lost. This forum exists to support us, not your disdain at a co-religionist who wasn't humble enough for your tastes.

My testimony and things that I WITNESSED is nonsense?

Well, it's certainly not of much interest to a group of ex-Christians.

I believe God is in control and He will deal with whatever, my coping mechanism is humor. As I said previously, I need to make sure I don't go overboard.

In the "overboard" department, you hit the proverbial water the first time you started up with that "Tummy rot" nonsense. If you want to be competent in your humour, listen to your audience and learn from the feedback.

Well if I was a Pharisee I would not be open to CONSTRUCTIVE criticism; I would NEVER admit to having faults.

*Are* you open to constructive criticism? And do you admit faults or parade them in front of us? (Hard question, so don't feel compelled to answer it right away.)

if you knew the gospel very well you would not be ex Christians...

... I am not disrespecting anyones experiences,

These two statements contradict each other. You disrespect the years we spent studying the Gospel.

And how many people on this forum expressed having such violent fantasies?

Thumbelina, that's the particular effect that religious preaching happens to have on Me. It's intensely frustrating to hear people spout the same nonsense over and over again, and that frustration manifests as actual knots in My arm muscles.

But don't worry -- I would only use physical force on someone who had broken into My home. If you just showed up at My front door you would be refused entry, and perhaps end up on the wrong end of a restraining order.

You never know maybe your threats simply mean you agape love me and you're trying to hiiiiide it. *wait for it, I expect yelling after this*

*shrug* Meh. You really aren't My type, and I don't do agape.

The lady was all smiles and friendly but she did not mean it.

But how do you know she didn't mean it? When did you acquire the ability to read minds?

Yeah I'm realizing I can get zealous and combative; I can't stand atheism but I like some of the atheists, I need to be balanced.

Thank you for the way you phrased that, Thumbelina. It's a lot easier to see where you're coming from when you keep it simple and get right to the point.

I wish there was a hell for you to go too.

I wish the OPPOSITE for you.

Thumbelina said: If we follow your advice to its "logical" conclusion then NOBODY can give a testimony or extimony if the person (whom they do not give names or location) is not there to defend themselves. Do you not see that?

I've thought about that, Thumbelina. The difference is that you suffered no particular injury from that's woman's actions. You didn't have a horse in that race; you were just gossiping and slandering her because you didn't like her attitude.

Some of us here, however, have suffered terribly because of the thoughtless and often criminal behaviour of believers. These are things supported by real-world evidence, much of which would stand up in a court of law. Others, like Myself, came to moments in our lives where the battle was between ourselves and what we were asked to believe, and the belief simply lost. This forum exists to support us, not your disdain at a co-religionist who wasn't humble enough for your tastes.

I did say that maybe her actions did act as a trigger for me. I did have experiences with a church Pharisee BEFORE I became a Christian and that person had times when they were petty and spiteful and they were NEVER wrong. My experience did make me sensitive to how non believers or shy people are treated when they come to church so it made me forget my shyness and welcome others. If I was gossiping I would have put what the lady did as my status or something, I WAS/AM RELATING to the OP. Therefore it's a testimony. So the people on this forum who had lesser injuries by religious people don't matter? Not everyone on here had the same experiences, some had NO injuries by religious folks. I know what this website is for but what I also notice is that it is not a website designed for people to put on blinders, though people are free to do that if they wish. Dave permits Christians to post because he seems to be pretty tolerant and in favor of freedom of speech.

Thumbelina said:I believe God is in control and He will deal with whatever, my coping mechanism is humor. As I said previously, I need to make sure I don't go overboard.

In the "overboard" department, you hit the proverbial water the first time you started up with that "Tummy rot" nonsense. If you want to be competent in your humour, listen to your audience and learn from the feedback.

From my time on here I realize that the people on here do not participate in group think, you may speak for yourself and some others but I recall other people liking tummy rot. ;)

Thumbelina said: Well if I was a Pharisee I would not be open to CONSTRUCTIVE criticism; I would NEVER admit to having faults.

*Are* you open to constructive criticism? And do you admit faults or parade them in front of us? (Hard question, so don't feel compelled to answer it right away.)

As a Christian I have to be. I admit my faults. Christians can be quite candid you know. When I just became a Christian and therefore the devil was mad, I had to leave home but my mom sent me a sermon that I quite enjoyed. It was about Joseph and Mrs Potiphar. The preacher said if you find yourself in those types of situations you gotta ruuuuun!!!!! Then he said even me, if I hold your hand too long, run. I loved his candor, I like the tell-it-like-it is sorta people. Some atheists can be like that and I guess I'm attracted to that.

Thumbelina said: if you knew the gospel very well you would not be ex Christians...

... I am not disrespecting anyones experiences,

These two statements contradict each other. You disrespect the years we spent studying the Gospel.

Not from where I'm standing. I've read about people's experiences and I was pleased to see that many did try to understand and I did see that some were engaged in worship that was just silly (glossolalia). I've seen misunderstanding after misunderstanding of the bible that will cause a person to lose their trust in God. There are some on here who admitted that they did not understand the bible, understanding the word is paramount to Christian growth.

Thumbelina said: And how many people on this forum expressed having such violent fantasies?

Thumbelina, that's the particular effect that religious preaching happens to have on Me. It's intensely frustrating to hear people spout the same nonsense over and over again, and that frustration manifests as actual knots in My arm muscles.

But don't worry -- I would only use physical force on someone who had broken into My home. If you just showed up at My front door you would be refused entry, and perhaps end up on the wrong end of a restraining order.

I ask this respectfully but if religious preaching makes you react that way then why are you in the den where preaching is permitted? *ooooooooooooo, ghost noise* I am not at your front door, I'm in your home (via the computer) bwahahahaha.<-- That's a joke

Thumbelina said: You never know maybe your threats simply mean you agape love me and you're trying to hiiiiide it. *wait for it, I expect yelling after this*

*shrug* Meh. You really aren't My type, and I don't do agape.

You know if you weren't a lioness I'd tell you what I told London and mwc. I'll just leave it.

Thumbelina said: The lady was all smiles and friendly but she did not mean it.

But how do you know she didn't mean it? When did you acquire the ability to read minds?

She greeted me every week for months, even waved to the people who dropped me off but because I told her I was shy and I did not do what she WANTED me to do she never ever said hi to me after that. I did not cause a dingo to eat her baby so why did she have to act like that?

Oh I dunno, gave up all reason and said to myself it's all apart of the big ol' divine plan? If there is one thing I do believe in, it's that you being a fucking idiot is apart of gods' master plan.

I ask this respectfully but if religious preaching makes you react that way then why are you in the den where preaching is permitted? *ooooooooooooo, ghost noise* I am not at your front door, I'm in your home (via the computer) bwahahahaha.<-- That's a joke

(Springy G thinks about Thumbelina's question)

(Turns in for the night and ponders the question a bit more on Her morning coffee break at work)

(Mulls over it one more time while eating lunch)

(E-mails comments home to Herself for one final edit and think)

I think I'm motivated by the same sentiment that prompts Me to call 911 when I hear a scream or a gunshot somewhere down the back alley. Something is wrong with the world, the adrenaline is pumping, and I need to *do something* rather than sit there and pretend it'll all go away.

I read your posts, Thumbelina, and what I see is someone wasting her life on an ancient myth and pretending that there's a god who loves her, but at the same time I don't get the impression of someone who's using her life to its full potential. It's as if you've deliberately infantilized yourself so that DaddyGod will bounce you on his knee and kiss the boo-boos all better.

We've grown beyond that -- Far beyond that -- and it's insulting and enraging to have you dismiss our experiences as inauthentic.

It's even worse that you purport to model a successful life when you present such mediocrity. You don't seem to have nearly as much "life in abundance" as we acquired when we stopped waiting for GODot, rolled up our sleeves and took responsibility for creating our own happiness.

I think that mythological BS must be publicly challenged, for the benefit and even the survival of future generations.

Even if My blood pressure spikes or I pull a biceps muscle, or I bruise or cut My own palm with an untrimmed fingernail when clenching My fist in frustration while reading a particularly idiotic post from yet another dismissive believer who claims to have The Truth.

That's why.