Showing Interest

The Biblical definition of sin?

Ok then.

Any definition in scripture is only as good as scripture's accurate definition of real life and the reality.

So, does the Bible accurately describe real life?

Let's see how accurately scripture describes human life...

There's Adam, a man made of animated dirt and his wife Eve, who was made from one of his ribs.

There are people who were born, lived, died, were raised back to life and died again.

There are two people who were born, lived and who never died at all.

There's one person with no father and no mother.

There's another person with a ghost for a father and a human for a mother.

Also, humans are quoted as having lifespans of 500, 600 and 700 years.

Christians can drink deadly poison and not be harmed by it.

Does this any of this sound like a realistic and accurate description of human life? Y/N?

Now let's see how accurately scripture describes the reality we inhabit...

The entire universe was spoken into existence by God, over a period of 144 hours.

The entire human race is descended, first from the dirt man and the rib woman (see above) and then from the eight survivors of a global flood.

The waters of the Red Sea parted and stood up straight like walls on either side of the Israelites as they walked to the other side, on the sea-floor.

The rotation of the entire planet was halted for about a day, just so that the Israelites had enough daylight to carry on slaughtering their enemies.

Let's not forget the talking snake, the talking ass and the talking eagle.

Nor the rock in the desert that spouted clean, drinkable water when Moses spoke to it.

Lastly, what about the many (500?) long-dead people who came out of their tombs and walked around Jerusalem when Jesus dies on the cross?

Does any of this sound like an accurate description of the reality we all inhabit? Y/N?

If your answers are, No and No, then why bother looking to the Bible for a definition of anything?

BAA.

• Like 1
  • Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thumby, I also find you rather catty and passive-aggressive. The urge to armchair analyze what makes a person act this way is powerful, but instead of succumbing I'll just say that you are not cutesy,

Well, since Thumbelina obviously cannot deal effectively with her fears, apparently "God's perfect love" is as much a myth to her as it is to us.   And this is someone who thinks she can teach us?

Thumbelina, you simply should not have mentioned the incident at all because the other party is not here to defend herself. Now you're compounding your shameful behaviour by making excuses about it.

Hello Agi. You were truly offended?

You know you and Florduh like sassin' and drama. Besides, I am using SOME of your atheist lingo wink.png

I wasn't personally offended by his offensive remark. I just recognize condescension when I read it. I don't expect respectful commentary, but it is funny because it's so immature.

I don't like drama. I like adventure, romance, comedy, and action!

Don't you just love it when Thumby comes here to entertain us?

http://www.forsightappeal.org.uk/images/ClownSmall.jpg

I found her picture.

What she lacks in evidence and debate skill she can make up for by throwing pies.

Don't you just love it when Thumby comes here to entertain us?

http://www.forsighta.../ClownSmall.jpg

I found her picture.

What she lacks in evidence and debate skill she can make up for by throwing pies.

Don't you know that Adventists don't wear makeup? But she does act like Bozo, so I'll agree with the pie throwing.GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

She realized I was attending church regularly so she sent me a note asking me to go in front of the congregation to do something. I wrote her back and told her I was shy and do you know she ignored me completely after that? One day she put her daughter to perform a piece by Chopin. That lady was after vainglory. I once saw her on a bus and she was wearing a fur coat (maybe faux fur) and I was wondering how come she was on a bus with the hoi polloi. I later told my mother that I saw "Chopin" on the bus. Hee hee, I gave her a nickname, now I don't even remember what her real name is.

Thumbelina, your commentary on this woman and her daughter clearly shows your true colours, and those colours are various shades of gangrene-black and shit-brown.

You are a disgusting, judgmental, superstitious turd. You have no fucking right to criticize a woman for what she wears or what form of transportation she takes, or her motive for allowing her daughter to play a piece of lovely music for a congregation.

I wish upon you the total and catastrophic ruin of all that you believe. May you have nightmares of rending your precious god into very, very small pieces, and giggling hysterically as you do it. May your days be filled with the knowledge that there is no paradise waiting for you after you die.

But most of all, may everyone you know in real life see you for what you really are, and retreat to a safe distance until you are free of your delusions and your shameful, condescending attitude.

Until that day, Thumbelina, I'm done with you. No apology will be accepted.

No apology accepted? What did I do to YOU? *confused look*

I was trying to stay within the TOPIC and was explaining that I too have been somewhat affected by insincere Christians. I was not making fun of the lady's daughter, that young lady was quiet and nice just like her pops but her mother was a snob. The lady literally walked with her nose in the air, like so:

http://www.fotosearc...obby-woman.html

rca0020.jpg

I had noticed it before but did not realize her attitude matched the gait UNTIL she snubbed quiet ol' me smile.png

I did say in [edit] a post that at the time I was thinking and saying those things about that lady I did sin for I was making fun INSTEAD of praying for her. I can criticize someones dress if I choose to (it should be done constructively though) but in my post I was not criticizing her coat. I was relaying my thoughts at that juncture in my life. As an aside, skeptics do that A LOT with the bible, biblical writers relay stories, thoughts and feelings that were not holy and skeptics go on tangents and say the bible is evil. I was not sure if the fur was real or not ( don't particularly care at this point) so I wrote that, I didn't want to lie (what if there were some PETA folks reading?).

I was not criticizing the lady's form of transportation, I was thinking AT THAT TIME (I am allowed to relate my thoughts, am I not?), how come such a snooty lady is on a bus, snooty people would usually have limos and not be mixed in with regular folk. I am ALLOWED to determine/decide if someone is not being genuine based on their actions. However, in my belief system (Christianity) I am not permitted to condemn her. The bible-- which I believe in --says that there's a time for certain activities and God's time is not for glorifying SELF (that IS what the lady was doing). She could have let her daughter play at some other time but the lady wanted to show off on God's time. I understand you do not believe in God but Christians do and they ( the ones who want to follow God fully) have the right to determine what actions are right or wrong based on the bible. The lady was a professed Christian and she may influence others to want to perform on God's time. I guess if the ladies with the strip pole dancing for Jesus come along we should let them PERFORM in church, huh? As I said, I don't know what you were reading into my post but I can relate to the OP about being snubbed "for God" and that IS what I was saying.

Hello Agi. You were truly offended?

You know you and Florduh like sassin' and drama. Besides, I am using SOME of your atheist lingo wink.png

I wasn't personally offended by his offensive remark. I just recognize condescension when I read it. I don't expect respectful commentary, but it is funny because it's so immature.

I don't like drama. I like adventure, romance, comedy, and action!

Many people like adventure, romance, comedy and action but you like drama, you wanted a dramatic answer from me in the ToT section. You no longer like drama?

@ lions, you think this is funny but the devil wants to make Jimmy Choo shoes outta your hides and I don't want that, m'kay?

@ lions, you think this is funny but the devil wants to make Jimmy Choo shoes outta your hides and I don't want that, m'kay?

There's no devil - relax.

You publicly slandered a woman who is not here to defend herself. I have chosen to be her defender and her avenger.

I can criticize someones dress if I choose to (it should be done constructively though) but in my post I was not criticizing her coat. I was relaying my thoughts at that juncture in my life.

The moment you repeated those words to us, Thumbelina, it is as if you said them again. Claiming them as some past indiscretion doesn't cut it here.

I was not criticizing the lady's form of transportation, I was thinking AT THAT TIME (I am allowed to relate my thoughts, am I not?), how come such a snooty lady is on a bus,

I reject your appeal. My seiðr against you shall stand unaltered until its fulfilment.

ETA: Oh, and I have a little reading assignment for you, Thumbelina. Read Matthew 25:35-40 until you actually comprehend it.

why do Christians come here and debate with apostates? Isn't that forbidden in the Bible? I was under the distinct impression that Christians were commanded to share the Good News with all unbelievers, the heathen, the gentiles, the pagans, the devil worshippers, everyone EXCEPT apostates, they were forbidden to have anything to do with anyone who "Once believed" but then rejected the faith. Guess that's just another thing about the bible which doesn't make a blind bit of sense.

The question is not whether you love Jesus or not. The more important question is whether you know how much Jesus loves you. Very, very few people know anything about Jesus loving them. This is the main failure of most Christian churches.

And who are you to force what you want on us?

BAA.

That's what he wants you to think. :(

Guest Valk0010

That's what he wants you to think. sad.png

Coward think for yourself

Wait I forgot you can't think of anything other then what you brainwashed yourself with.

You publicly slandered a woman who is not here to defend herself. I have chosen to be her defender and her avenger.

I can criticize someones dress if I choose to (it should be done constructively though) but in my post I was not criticizing her coat. I was relaying my thoughts at that juncture in my life.

The moment you repeated those words to us, Thumbelina, it is as if you said them again. Claiming them as some past indiscretion doesn't cut it here.

I was not criticizing the lady's form of transportation, I was thinking AT THAT TIME (I am allowed to relate my thoughts, am I not?), how come such a snooty lady is on a bus,

I reject your appeal. My seiðr against you shall stand unaltered until its fulfilment.

ETA: Oh, and I have a little reading assignment for you, Thumbelina. Read Matthew 25:35-40 until you actually comprehend it.

LOL You're funny. Why you gotta exaggerate, huh? I publicly slandered? Did I give a name, address, telephone #? I can and will say the lady was pompous and may joke about it but now I pray for unity among all of God's people. I did not pray that prayer then. Oh, I tend to joke, my personality neccesitates I laugh otherwise I'll be a grump grump like some of y'all ( ahem, Par; I like him so I pick on him).

Wait I forgot you can't think of anything other then what you brainwashed yourself with.

Look at sweetie pie getting all sassy!

A couple that is friends with a family member of mine just lost their 5 year old son last week. His parents are strong Christians, his mother was asking WHY?!!!! What hope does atheism offer them?

Guest Valk0010

A couple that is friends with a family member of mine just lost their 5 year old son last week. His parents are strong Christians, his mother was asking WHY?!!!! What hope does atheism offer them?

Way more then, just the simple, ohh the little boy is in heaven horsetrip that you get from churches, that is a nonstarter if actually wanna help.

Though in all seriousness, its a bunk question, so say atheism gives hope, is not what atheism is for by defintion.

Atheism is only saying you don't believe in any god is most instances. Hope is not apart of the equation when the equation is what is the best conclusion based off of evidence and logic.

Way more then, just the simple, ohh the little boy is in heaven horsetrip that you get from churches, that is a nonstarter if actually wanna help.

What does atheism offer?

The lil' boy is not in heaven, he's dead.

Christians do prison ministries and there are some people in there who got life for crimes they did not commit, will an atheistic worldview give them hope?

Guest Valk0010

What does atheism offer?

Let me reverse the question slightly, assume for a second, the truth, that christianity has no evidence. Would the fact that is provides comfort mean anything more then its a falsehood that provides comfort. Its still a falsehood right? I thought lying was bad right?

Atheism offers nothing. It isn't supposed to, its just saying based off of evidence and logic there is no reason to believe in what religion claims.

Hope isn't apart of it, its what is factually and rationally true. Again the question is a nonstarter. I notice you ninja edited your previous post. My answer is more or less the same.

Guest Valk0010

If you allow me to blend topics slightly, if I could think of one thing atheism does provide. Its that you can look at things with a open mind.

For example that thread you started in the about jesus reneging his words, thumb, that is a perfect example of how atheism does provide something better then Christianity.

I can read a verse clearly and go, okay, this is what it says and make my conclusions based off of that. You have to twist them to fit into the, jesus died and rose again rhetoric, which also betrays those verses like Paul that I referenced in the other thread. Again you twist the words to fit what you already believe.

What does atheism offer?

Let me reverse the question slightly, assume for a second, the truth, that christianity has no evidence. Would the fact that is provides comfort mean anything more then its a falsehood that provides comfort. Its still a falsehood right? I thought lying was bad right?

Atheism offers nothing. It isn't supposed to, its just saying based off of evidence and logic there is no reason to believe in what religion claims.

Hope isn't apart of it, its what is factually and rationally true. Again the question is a nonstarter.

I was looking at a show highlighting our prison ministry this week and there was a young cute guy in prison. He said he found Jesus there and he's the happiest he has ever been in his life. Some people are in literal prison and yet they are free, some people are free but are in prison. Some are just phony jailhouse conversions but it ain't up to me or other humans to judge. Atheism gives no hope and it's just about oh well, too bad so sad. Atheism is a fair weather belief system. The evidence for God is there for those who wish to see it.

Guest Valk0010

What does atheism offer?

Hope isn't apart of it, its what is factually and rationally true. Again the question is a nonstarter.

I was looking at a show highlighting our prison ministry this week and there was a young cute guy in prison. He said he found Jesus there and he's the happiest he has ever been in his life. Some people are in literal prison and yet they are free, some people are free but are in prison. Some are just phony jailhouse conversions but it ain't up to me or other humans to judge. Atheism gives no hope and it's just about oh well, too bad so sad. Atheism is a fair weather belief system. The evidence for God is there for those who wish to see it.

You keep just wanting for me to put you on ignore, quit being fucking condescending. We have debated each other on various topics since, to all of god's critics. Remeber the pages of go around we had. If your going to be condescending. I will do the same, and at least be honest. Your full of hot air.

If you allow me to blend topics slightly, if I could think of one thing atheism does provide. Its that you can look at things with a open mind.

For example that thread you started in the about jesus reneging his words, thumb, that is a perfect example of how atheism does provide something better then Christianity.

I can read a verse clearly and go, okay, this is what it says and make my conclusions based off of that. You have to twist them to fit into the, jesus died and rose again rhetoric, which also betrays those verses like Paul that I referenced in the other thread. Again you twist the words to fit what you already believe.

The bible cannot be read like a secular text book, hon'. The texts are not twisted, it's unlearned atheists that do not understand them. I like this ws but in my time looking at atheism out there (I've been to other websites and boy oh boy ... ) I find some of the atheists to be some of the most close-minded people ever, they actually helped me to fully understand the mindset of the pharisees. However the # 1 reason I see for the attitudes is that they're fed up and they misunderstand God and they don't know how to study the bible and well, they're not meek enough to learn.

What does atheism offer?

You keep just wanting for me to put you on ignore, quit being fucking condescending. We have debated each other on various topics since, to all of god's critics. Remeber the pages of go around we had. If your going to be condescending. I will do the same, and at least be honest. Your full of hot air.

I am not being consescending, I am discussing atheISM. I tend to like the atheists. I do not like atheism.

Guest Valk0010

The bible cannot be read like a secular text book, hon'. The texts are not twisted it's unlearned atheists that do not understand them. I like this ws but in my time looking at atheism out there (I've been to other websites and boy oh boy ... ) I find a lot of them to be some of the most close-minded people ever, they actually helped me to fully understand the mindset of the pharisees. However the # 1 reason I see for the attitudes is that they're fed up and they misunderstand God and they don't know how to study the bible and well, they're not meek enough to learn.

You like history, some iirc.

Even notice, how communists, when something is said, that they disagree with, they call it Bourgeoisie.

Ever notice, how when nonbelievers read the bible, its called unlearned.

It has the exact same intellectual weight. The wieght is nothing.

I attacked your claims specifically and you ducked and hid and told me, that I don't understand. The reason I called your a idiot. Is because THAT IS ALL YOU DID. You just said, ehhh your wrong, because you don't understand the bible my way. IT MEANS NOTHING.