Goodbye Jesus

Showing Interest

CDFree

Guest Valk0010

I am not being consescending, I am discussing atheISM. I tend to like the atheists. I do not like atheism.

That is a distinction without a difference from my perspective.

If you allow me to blend topics slightly, if I could think of one thing atheism does provide. Its that you can look at things with a open mind.

For example that thread you started in the about jesus reneging his words, thumb, that is a perfect example of how atheism does provide something better then Christianity.

I can read a verse clearly and go, okay, this is what it says and make my conclusions based off of that. You have to twist them to fit into the, jesus died and rose again rhetoric, which also betrays those verses like Paul that I referenced in the other thread. Again you twist the words to fit what you already believe.

The bible cannot be read like a secular text book, hon'. The texts are not twisted it's unlearned atheists that do not understand them. I like this ws but in my time looking at atheism out there (I've been to other websites and boy oh boy ... ) I find a lot of them to be some of the most close-minded people ever, they actually helped me to fully understand the mindset of the pharisees. However the # 1 reason I see for the attitudes is that they're fed up and they misunderstand God and they don't know how to study the bible and well, they're not meek enough to learn.

You like history, some iirc.

Even notice, how communists, when something is said, that they disagree with, they call it Bourgeoisie.

Ever notice, how when nonbelievers read the bible, its called unlearned.

It has the exact same intellectual weight. The wieght is nothing.

I attacked your claims specifically and you ducked and hid and told me, that I don't understand. The reason I called your a idiot. Is because THAT IS ALL YOU DID. You just said, ehhh your wrong, because you don't understand the bible my way. IT MEANS NOTHING.

Sweetie pie, how can I show someone when they are not WILLING to put in the time to search the scriptures? It requires time. The bible stipulates that to understand scripture in a way that the gospel will be revealed and ACCEPTED, a person has to have an open heart and be willing to follow God's will. I am not trying to hurt you, I quite like you. I'd give you an award for the sweetest skeptic I ever came across. However, I am speaking to you honestly and telling you what the requirements are to understand the bible.

The bible gives evidence for God via its prophecies.

I am not being consescending, I am discussing atheISM. I tend to like the atheists. I do not like atheism.

You are saying you are atheism?

I know a serial adulterer. I love them but I don't like their adultery.

Guest Valk0010

If you allow me to blend topics slightly, if I could think of one thing atheism does provide. Its that you can look at things with a open mind.

For example that thread you started in the about jesus reneging his words, thumb, that is a perfect example of how atheism does provide something better then Christianity.

I can read a verse clearly and go, okay, this is what it says and make my conclusions based off of that. You have to twist them to fit into the, jesus died and rose again rhetoric, which also betrays those verses like Paul that I referenced in the other thread. Again you twist the words to fit what you already believe.

The bible cannot be read like a secular text book, hon'. The texts are not twisted it's unlearned atheists that do not understand them. I like this ws but in my time looking at atheism out there (I've been to other websites and boy oh boy ... ) I find a lot of them to be some of the most close-minded people ever, they actually helped me to fully understand the mindset of the pharisees. However the # 1 reason I see for the attitudes is that they're fed up and they misunderstand God and they don't know how to study the bible and well, they're not meek enough to learn.

Even notice, how communists, when something is said, that they disagree with, they call it Bourgeoisie.

I attacked your claims specifically and you ducked and hid and told me, that I don't understand. The reason I called your a idiot. Is because THAT IS ALL YOU DID. You just said, ehhh your wrong, because you don't understand the bible my way. IT MEANS NOTHING.

Sweetie pie, how can I show someone when the are not WILLING to put in the time to search the scriptures? It requires time. The bible stipulates that to understand scripture in a way that the gospel will be revealed and ACCEPTED, a person has to have an open heart and be willing to follow God's will. I am not trying to hurt you, I quite like you. I'd give you an award for the sweetest skeptic I ever came across. However, I am speaking to you honestly and telling you what the requirements are to understand the bible.

And the thing that rubs me the wrong way, is that you assume I haven't, because I don't agree with you. I can show, references to the OT from the NT that are quoted blantantly out of context. That anybody looking at it from a mind anything other then, jesus rose and he had to rose would say, what, thats fucked up. But you would call me unlearned.

At least common, do something better. Adhom's doesn't really work. Just because I may not be a theologian or a christian, doesn't make me automatically wrong.

Guest Valk0010

No I am saying, you may be attack atheism as a whole, but your also attacking me as well.

Sweetie pie, how can I show someone when the are not WILLING to put in the time to search the scriptures? It requires time. The bible stipulates that to understand scripture in a way that the gospel will be revealed and ACCEPTED, a person has to have an open heart and be willing to follow God's will. I am not trying to hurt you, I quite like you. I'd give you an award for the sweetest skeptic I ever came across. However, I am speaking to you honestly and telling you what the requirements are to understand the bible.

And the thing that rubs me the wrong way, is that you assume I haven't, because I don't agree with you. I can show, references to the OT from the NT that are quoted blantantly out of context. That anybody looking at it from a mind anything other then, jesus rose and he had to rose would say, what, thats fucked up.

I know you looked, Valk. The goal of the bible is to bring you closer to God, did that happen? I don't understand what you meant by what I highlighted in red.

Guest Valk0010

About many of the verses, I show contention too, like, the nonsequiters related to jesus fulfilling the law, or the end of the age coming in the disciples liftimes. I noticed as a christian. The only difference is, I didn't think about them as a Christian. I do think about them now, and the best conclusion I can see, is, I was correct then.

And by correct I mean, that, the bible is wrong and makes no sense.

No I am saying, you may be attack atheism as a whole, but your also attacking me as well.

I did not mean to attack you, in my eyes you are a sweetheart and I wish you can be comforted. I just want you to consider what such a belief entails.

Guest Valk0010

I know you looked, Valk. The goal of the bible is to bring you closer to God, did that happen? I don't understand what you meant by what I highlighted in red.

Its something that I feel like I see you do. You start with the conclusion, that Christianity is true, been proven etc. And then look for confirmation of that. As it relates to the other thread I see the same thing. Your view on the Paul quotes I had, read exactly to me, like someone, starting with there conclusion and working backwards.

About many of the verses, I show contention too, like, the nonsequiters related to jesus fulfilling the law, or the end of the age coming in the disciples liftimes. I noticed as a christian. The only difference is, I didn't think about them as a Christian. I do think about them now, and the best conclusion I can see, is, I was correct then.

One has to prayerfully contemplate those texts to understand them. For some people they require others to teach/help them understand (the eunuch in the bible did not understand what he was reading). Persistence will pay off for those who continue to look for the gospel.

Its something that I feel like I see you do. You start with the conclusion, that Christianity is true, been proven etc. And then look for confirmation of that. As it relates to the other thread I see the same thing. Your view on the Paul quotes I had, read exactly to me, like someone, starting with there conclusion and working backwards.

Yeah I see where you're coming from but it would seem that you are quoting the scriptures you were indoctrinated with instead of letting the bible expound itself.

Guest Valk0010

One has to prayerfully contemplate those texts to understand them. For some people they require others to teach/help them understand (the eunuch in the bible did not understand what he was reading). Persistence will pay off for those who continue to look for the gospel.

Persistance, for one conclusion? Believe it or not. In one instance(the bit about the end of the age before the disciples died), I accepted the christian answer, which was more or less what you stated, but stated more simplistically. The simple verison as I was taught, was jesus didn't actually mean the disciples, but future generations, and coming soon was the same sort of hyperbole you saw in revelations. Soon not meaning literally time soon, but just to say be prepared. I don't buy that line now. It makes no sense. About the nonsequiter thing, the answer I learned was that, Jesus knew the OT better because he was god. But that answer only works if you assume christianity is true to begin with. Which is bad reasoning.

Guest Valk0010

Yeah I see where you're coming from but it would seem that you are quoting the scriptures you were indoctrinated with instead of letting the bible expound itself.

I actually found about Paul views on the end of the world more specifically after deconverting. I wasn't aware of the implications of what Paul said till, after I deconverted. I hadn't really looked at Paul's understanding of the end times while I was a christian. I was more interested in what I needed to know at that point. It was how to be a good christian.

Persistance, for one conclusion? Believe it or not. In one instance(the bit about the end of the age before the disciples died), I accepted the christian answer, which was more or less what you stated, but stated more simplistically. The simple verison as I was taught, was jesus didn't actually mean the disciples, but future generations, and coming soon was the same sort of hyperbole you saw in revelations. Soon not meaning literally time soon, but just to say be prepared. I don't buy that line now. It makes no sense. About the nonsequiter thing, the answer I learned was that, Jesus knew the OT better because he was god. But that answer only works if you assume christianity is true to begin with. Which is bad reasoning.

What I highlighted will not make sense to you now because you are no longer in the faith. As one understands the bible for oneself then one will come to understand that that book was supernaturally inspired. The bible says to find the treasure that is hidden one must keep looking. I was able to do so cuz I was around secularism and found it appalling. Some people are lured by it and that makes it harder for them to persist with the bible. I don't want you to misunderstand me now, I realize some teachings that people were indoctrinated with makes no sense and God was portrayed as a cruel tyrant and this causes secularism to appeal to people instead.

I actually found about Paul views on the end of the world more specifically after deconverting. I wasn't aware of the implications of what Paul said till, after I deconverted. I hadn't really looked at Paul's understanding of the end times while I was a christian. I was more interested in what I needed to know at that point. It was how to be a good christian.

Understanding the bible gospel helps ones faith to grow so if you did not understand it I can understand you leaving. Even as a skeptic you are still misunderstanding it and I am not insulting you, OK? I am just saying when one does understand it one can see its harmony.

Guest Valk0010

What I highlighted will not make sense to you now because you are no longer in the faith. As one understands the bible for oneself then one will come to understand that that book was supernaturally inspired. The bible says to find the treasure that is hidden one must keep looking. I was able to do so cuz I was around secularism and found it appalling. Some people are lured by it and that makes it harder for them to persist with the bible. I don't want you to misunderstand me now, I realize some teachings that people were indoctrinated with makes no sense and God was portrayed as a cruel tyrant and this causes secularism to appeal to people instead.

You misunderstand me. I don't just agree with someone just because someone taught me something. It has to make sense to me on my own. You remind me of my uncle, who told me after I told him the bible doesn't make sense to me. That if I was actually after truth, then the bible would make sense, and if it still didn't make sense or didn't seem proven to me, it was my fault for not actually seeking after truth. You too would like each other. Thinking you have your head on a different plain as unbelievers, when really its shame on you guys.

More directly, I used what I was taught to come to my conclusions about those nonsequiters. And I used what I was taught and understood myself about revelation, to answer my own questions about that bit about the gospels. I was taught those explanations but I actively agreed to them. So shame on me for being stupid, but shame on you for assuming i am a parrot.

Guest Valk0010

Understanding the bible gospel helps ones faith to grow so if you did not understand it I can understand you leaving. Even as a skeptic you are still misunderstanding it and I am not insulting you, OK? I am just saying when one does understand it one can see its harmony.

Nothing much changed about my cognitive abilities, except learning more about what actually counts for logic, reason, evidence and history.

Some questions to our Christian guests if I may:

Why would I want to prayerful consider anything? Prayerfully considering did not save my marriage, it has not cured me of asthma, it did not get me the job I wanted.

Perhaps I should have read the small print under the text that clearly says "Ask and it will be given?" But then a Christian will accuse me of "leaning on my own understanding," or "adding to the Bible" when it is written there in black ink.

Why cannot I make my own decisions on the bible or any other text without spiritual intervention?

Why is it that whenever anyone disagrees with Christians, we are always told that "we are being mislead by satan?"

Do you come to your own conclusions about the whole of the bible cannon (and not just the fluffy bits and pieces that are preached on and written about) or do you just "trust and obey" whomever is preaching that week?

Without resorting to the line "because it is the word of God," why do you think that the bible is so special that it should escape the kind of intellectual inspection that is given to over texts?

Have you heard of Jacques Derrida or his work?

I do not need faith to read the newspaper or the train timetable, they are printed I can read them. Why do I need faith to unlock the Bible's secrets, it too is printed and I can read it?

Does not the interpretation of the bible or any other text depend very much on the reader's environment, level of education, native language, culture and the influence of his/her society. An example is the word "plant." Everyone who is an English speaker knows what a plant is, but in Welsh, "plant" means child. So, if a native Welsh speaker sees plant, it means something completely different to someone on the other side of the River Severn. How does this square with the claim that the bible cannot be read like a secular text. Of course it can. The bible is a text, and therefore, it is also bound by the limitations of interpretation.

You misunderstand me. I don't just agree with someone just because someone taught me something. It has to make sense to me on my own.

Me too, I have to truly believe and understand and be passionate about something to embrace it.

You remind me of my uncle, who told me after I told him the bible doesn't make sense to me. That if I was actually after truth, then the bible would make sense, and if it still didn't make sense or didn't seem proven to me, it was my fault for not actually seeking after truth. You too would like each other. Thinking you have your head on a different plain as unbelievers, when really its shame on you guys.

Looky looky, sweetie pie is telling me off biggrin.png

The bible says unbelievers can't understand and I see evidence that support it. We're not being mean, just truthful. The goal is to get one enamored with God, you left instead so you've misunderstood the message or you're rebellious and I don't think you are.

More directly, I used what I was taught to come to my conclusions about those nonsequiters. And I used what I was taught and understood myself about revelation, to answer my own questions about that bit about the gospels. I was taught those explanations but I actively agreed to them. So shame on me for being stupid, but shame on you for assuming i am a parrot.

You weren't stupid, just unstable and you did not persist but I understand the trials of life can get in the way too. I don't think you're a parrot, you are a thinking skeptic, a # of them like to be pains and cite the SAB ws or evilbible ws; it indicates they don't study the bible themselves but I am rather pleased to actually have a dialogue with you. Even though you don't agree, you're thinking and not just debunking smile.png

Nothing much changed about my cognitive abilities, except learning more about what actually counts for logic, reason, evidence and history.

Yes the bible appeals to reason but there is a spiritual aspect to it. There are a lot of mysteries that people can't figure out here on earth and yet they want to figure out everything about God. God left evidences but people choose to listen to the philosophical jargon of finite men instead of God.

You weren't stupid, just unstable and you did not persist...

Oh, give me a fucking break. Enough of the "If you don't understand, it's because you did x/didn't do y" bullshit. The Bible makes no sense because it makes no sense. Period. Just about everyone here tried to make sense of the Bible, some of us for many years. It doesn't make sense because it's a bunch of Hebrew fairy tales taped together, not because we haven't "persisted" long enough to be given the holy gift of understanding nonsense.

• Like 2

Some questions to our Christian guests if I may:

Why would I want to prayerful consider anything? Prayerfully considering did not save my marriage, it has not cured me of asthma, it did not get me the job I wanted.

Perhaps I should have read the small print under the text that clearly says "Ask and it will be given?" But then a Christian will accuse me of "leaning on my own understanding," or "adding to the Bible" when it is written there in black ink.

I am sorry about your painful experiences. God does not promise us a pain free existence. Understanding in the bible comes to people who want to follow God with their whole heart (sometimes it may take years for someone to get it) . If there is some cherished sin (that sin can even be being self sufficient) it can block God from manifesting Himself to them.

Why cannot I make my own decisions on the bible or any other text without spiritual intervention?

Why is it that whenever anyone disagrees with Christians, we are always told that "we are being mislead by satan?"

Well , cuz you are, the bible says so.

Do you come to your own conclusions about the whole of the bible cannon (and not just the fluffy bits and pieces that are preached on and written about) or do you just "trust and obey" whomever is preaching that week?

A person has to decide for their own self.

No, a person must compare teachings to the bible and if they have a sincere and honest heart the HS will teah them if what they were told is true or not.

Without resorting to the line "because it is the word of God," why do you think that the bible is so special that it should escape the kind of intellectual inspection that is given to over texts?

Secular methodologies and a carnal heart cannot see what a holy God is trying to teach. They will resist its teachings. It is the person who loves the truth and hungers after righteousness that will be enlightened on God's word.

Have you heard of Jacques Derrida or his work?

No, is he one of those higher criticism people?

I do not need faith to read the newspaper or the train timetable, they are printed I can read them.

If there's a chance it has traces of anthrax on it, you will need faith.

Why do I need faith to unlock the Bible's secrets, it too is printed and I can read it?

Faith is basically trusting in God, He proves Himself to His children. Faith causes God to manifest Himself.

Does not the interpretation of the bible or any other text depend very much on the reader's environment, level of education, native language, culture and the influence of his/her society. An example is the word "plant." Everyone who is an English speaker knows what a plant is, but in Welsh, "plant" means child. So, if a native Welsh speaker sees plant, it means something completely different to someone on the other side of the River Severn. How does this square with the claim that the bible cannot be read like a secular text. Of course it can. The bible is a text, and therefore, it is also bound by the limitations of interpretation.

The bible gives undersatanding to the SIMPLE. God created man to be intelligent, Christians need to find ways to expound the Word to others but if a non Christian is seeking after God with their WHOLE heart God makes a way for them to find Him.

You weren't stupid, just unstable and you did not persist...

Oh, give me a fucking break. Enough of the "If you don't understand, it's because you did x/didn't do y" bullshit. The Bible makes no sense because it makes no sense. Period. Just about everyone here tried to make sense of the Bible, some of us for many years. It doesn't make sense because it's a bunch of Hebrew fairy tales taped together, not because we haven't "persisted" long enough to be given the holy gift of understanding nonsense.

Hello lion. I am sorry for the troubles you got with the bible but from a Christian pov, it ain't over till the fat lady sings (no there's no lady fat enough yet, OK). The bible truly is beautiful.

Hello lion. I am sorry for the troubles you got with the bible but from a Christian pov, it ain't over till the fat lady sings (no there's no lady fat enough yet, OK). The bible truly is beautiful.

These words don't even make sense in the order that they have been placed. Are you some sort of chatbot, or something?