Goodbye Jesus

I Told My Wife

electech98

Electech: My wife is a Xtian and I told her I had lost faith.. I'm lucky she is not the kind of Xtian who insists on my believing or else. The main thing she wants  is for me to not try to deconvert her. I'll take that deal every time. I hope that you and your wife will come to an agreement, too. I make no objections to her making contributions to the church. She's reasonable about it. I'll choose my wife over my non-belief every time. By that I don't mean I'll pretend to believe; but I'll participate with her in her church as much or little as she wishes. As I say, I'm lucky. She is not a fundamentalist and doesn't think it is her duty for life to work on converting me. Neither she nor I were ever involved in trying to save people, one on one. It's just that she feels she needs the faith to cope with life. 
And if that's all, I'm all for it. I'm not a person who hates christians just for being christians. It's a tough life. 
Whatever helps us humans cope in life is fine with me so long as it doesn't hurt anyone. And she would not take it that far. 

I would pray for you if their were a personal god. The best I can do is to sincerely wish you the best of luck.  bill

I think Adrianime raises some important questions, especially re: the books. Just wanted to chime in as another who has been following this story and continue to wish you all the best, electech. And I still think your FIL is a jerk! mad.gif

Thank you for sharing your story! I was the Christian that everyone looked up to. After eleven years in various positions of volunteer ministry, I started having doubts. Those doubts turned into a multi-year de-layering / shedding of my faith. My recent de-conversion has made life very difficult for my wife and her side of the family. At this point I am just trying to show her that I still am the same man she married 13 years ago.

My story can be found here http://new.exchristi...ilding-his.html

This is the worst part. Having to prove to everyone you're NOT about to go on a fornicating, child molesting, Satan worshipping melee. Ex-C's have to be better people than Christians. But that's easy, because most are. smile.png

One of the first questions my wife asked once I told her about losing my religion: "So are you going to have an affair?"  She was dead serious and scared.

Thank you for sharing your story! I was the Christian that everyone looked up to. After eleven years in various positions of volunteer ministry, I started having doubts. Those doubts turned into a multi-year de-layering / shedding of my faith. My recent de-conversion has made life very difficult for my wife and her side of the family. At this point I am just trying to show her that I still am the same man she married 13 years ago.

This is the worst part. Having to prove to everyone you're NOT about to go on a fornicating, child molesting, Satan worshipping melee. Ex-C's have to be better people than Christians. But that's easy, because most are. smile.png

One of the first questions my wife asked once I told her about losing my religion: "So are you going to have an affair?"  She was dead serious and scared.

Mine said the same thing actually.  Thought i was immediately going to run off with some hot young heathen.

I essentially asked this same question to HymenaeusAlexander when I found out about his deconversion. I wrongly assumed that he would be want to either cheat on me or divorce me. I realized how silly that was when I thought about it. I could think of many Christians who had been divorced and others who had cheated, so being a Christian doesn't guarantee anything.

Electech: I hope things are better with you and your wife now. Does she know about the e-mails her father has sent to you?