Goodbye Jesus

History Channel

florduh

You people watch too much Television. It's a disease. Get some help, PLEASE.smiliegojerkit.gif

actually cable internet and smiliegojerkit.gif is a great way to waste time.

• Like 2

Goodbye Jesus
  • Super Moderator

You people watch too much Television. It's a disease. Get some help, PLEASE.smiliegojerkit.gif

I know! We should be texting and gaming instead. Oh, and those wonderful apps to play with...

• Like 1

I really only have Saturday and Sunday nights booked for TV. I don't have cable, just digital TV, which I'm loving. I'm watching all the reruns I've missed over the years. It's awesome :)

Saturday nights are CSI reruns. Sunday nights I have Bones, Castle, Dual Suspects, and Forensic Investigators.

For something more educational, there's always SBS. It often has documentaries on. A while ago they had a series on Ancient Egypt that my fiancee and I got addicted to.

Otherwise, I spend most of my time reading these days. TV just gives me a break on the weekends from reading so much.

Oh I love the post-apok crap History Channel does sometimes. It was like a science-nerd version of Shark Week, those periods where all the premium channels did their Monster Earthquake/Asteroid Hit/Mega-Hurricane/Plague shows. I still watch the shit out of that stuff when I can find it on Netflix.

DVR is a godsend :)

funny-thanksgiving-meme-south-park.jpg

H2 is basically The Aliens Did It Channel 2.

As an aside, I LOVE RuPaul's Drag Race! I am loudly rooting for Sharon Needles.

Most of the cable networks don't produce any new content anymore, unless it's a reality show they can throw together on a budget of $200. And what isn't a reality show is regular re-runs of the same shows they made back in 2008 before the economy got bad. Repeated over, and over, and over.

As for the reality shows, do we really need 3 or 4 different shows about Hoarding on multiple channels at any given time?

Or what about storage auction shows? Is 3 really enough? I see we don't have an International Storage Wars show yet, so maybe India and the UK is another 2 cheap shows they can add to the line up.

It's not just the History channel, all Cable sucks....

• Like 1

I'm going to disagree with you a little Mike. Much of the programming does indeed suck, but there's some really awesome creative stuff out there too that compares with and even blows away stuff that we had in the past. Wilfred, It's Always Sunny in Philly and a number of other shows are super creative and thoughtful as well as hilarious.

I suspect the problem is the IQ bell curve and the programming those who huddle at the top of the curve desire. TV is the ultimate democracy after all.

Most of the cable networks don't produce any new content anymore, unless it's a reality show they can throw together on a budget of $200. And what isn't a reality show is regular re-runs of the same shows they made back in 2008 before the economy got bad. Repeated over, and over, and over.

As for the reality shows, do we really need 3 or 4 different shows about Hoarding on multiple channels at any given time?

The one that bugs me is Cops. It seems that I can turn on the tube at any time day or night and find an episode. And it's always the same: street cops busting hookers and druggies. Cheaper to make even than "reality"* shows. All that's needed is a camera operator, sound person and an editor.

*And who believes that this junk is real, as in unscripted and un-directed. Ha.

there's some really awesome creative stuff out there

If there is, then it must all be there in St. Petersburg, because it sure ain't here in Hollywood.

I think that's what makes it even worse is that I live where they produce all this crap (in fact one of my best friends is a reality show producer), and even with all this creativity here all it boils down to is how much profit the networks will make.

So you're right in that regard, it's whatever the majority wants.

Cops

Ugh, I don't think i've watched that show in 10 years. And when I did it was only for about 10 minutes. Boooring....

there's some really awesome creative stuff out there

If there is, then it must all be there in St. Petersburg, because it sure ain't here in Hollywood.

The two shows I listed are on FX. I watch them online.

Russian programming is worse than the US. Utter shit. They like these variety sing and dance shows and they keep parading out the same old singer/dancers who have absolutely no talent and no creativity and who are only experts at producing cheese, and perform contests each week to see who can outperform the others in terms of cheesiness.

Russian programming is worse than the US. Utter shit. They like these variety sing and dance shows and they keep parading out the same old singer/dancers who have absolutely no talent

It could be worse..... Be glad you don't have to watch people like the Kardashians on TV, then have to see them in person around town too. About once I week it seems i'll be driving around somewhere and i'll see a paparazzi clusterfuck of photographers and I know there must be a Kardashian or a hotel heiress in there somewhere! tongue.png

Russian programming is worse than the US. Utter shit. They like these variety sing and dance shows and they keep parading out the same old singer/dancers who have absolutely no talent

It could be worse..... Be glad you don't have to watch people like the Kardashians...

Who?

Guest Valk0010

The only two shows I watch on a regular basis are these.

Pawn Stars

and

WWE RAW.

Everything else is, whatever hit or miss.

WWE RAW.

One thing is for sure: you always know in advance what you are getting. At least there is no pretentiousness to it. smile.png

Also a fan of RuPaul's Drag Race. I think my favorite thing to watch right now (aside from "Too Cute!" on Animal Planet) is 30 Rock.

.. I'm still working my way through Futurama on Netflix.

Guest Valk0010

WWE RAW.

One thing is for sure: you always know in advance what you are getting. At least there is no pretentiousness to it. smile.png

The quality varies greatly however.

Or what about storage auction shows? Is 3 really enough? I see we don't have an International Storage Wars show yet, so maybe India and the UK is another 2 cheap shows they can add to the line up.

It's not just the History channel, all Cable sucks....

Oh it gets better. The Travel channel now has bag wars. Yes people auctioning off unclaimed baggage at airports.

Though I can't really trash talk too much. One of my goto shows is World's Dumbest on TruTV.

.. I'm still working my way through Futurama on Netflix.

Im working backwrds through this thread, but I need to pause here for a sec --- BEST SHOW EVER. that is all.

If I had it my way there would only be a handful of channels on my tv....

Speedvision, specifically Legends of Motorsport. wonderful old newsreels and films of vintage and classic racing of all kinds. canceled years ago :-(

English soccer live and archived, as much as possible.

Real Historical documentaries

ermmmm....hmmmm...

I think that might be it to be honest.

maybe a movie channel of some kind....

don't watch a lot of tv these days, my Saturday early morning footie thing is about it.

Don't mind Big Bang Theory, watch it with my wife. Good writers.

I'd forgotten that TLC had once been "The Learning Channel."

I've come to an uneasy peace with the idea of the existence of reality shows, but make sure they're relevant to the name of the network airing them. Right now at this very moment, I just came to understand the importance of corporate mission statements.

Do any other thirty-somethings here remember lamenting MTV's slow march away from the business of music videos? I didn't realize then that they were setting a standard for future networks to abandon their roots as well.

Yes I do.

Real world and Road Rules were really the point of no return.