Goodbye Jesus

Some Of My Favorite Ex-C Quotes

2Honest

I particularly liked this post from Akheia today, especially the bolded part:

RR, if there were solid proof of ANY of it, we'd already know about it. It'd be part of every Sunday School class and part of every witnessing expedition. Hitch would have set his mouth in a thin line and said "Well, there is that." But there isn't. Not of any of it. The best they're going to do is to logic themselves into a deity, because nothing else works.

Haha! I've been gone too long. Love these quotes. Especially the "god is a fart" one.

I think the connection to fertilizer is appropriate - for any candidate or party.
- Flroduh

Haha! I've been gone too long. Love these quotes. Especially the "god is a fart" one.

Unsure of how I feel about how my greatest quote in life, probably to end up on my tombstone, relates god to a fart.

Bbbbrrrrrrrnnnnnnntttttttt!

Ok, i feel better now.

• 1 month later...

These aren't quotes they are just some interesting tidbits I discovered when I was researching religious history.

1. There is no historical Jesus. I’d known that for some time but when I actually researched it I was astounded to discover that historians literally meant there is absolutely no record of any kind that a man named Jesus of Nazareth ever existed in the flesh. Additionally, there is no record of anyone ever having met any of Jesus 12 disciples. There men have no history either.

2. No evidence has ever been uncovered that confirms a place called Nazareth ever existed either.

3. No one knows who wrote any of the Bible except for six of Paul’s epistles. Then when I read Earl Doherty book, The Jesus Puzzle he put forth some compelling evidence that Paul was writing about a spiritual Jesus of Nazareth not a earthly one. Dr. Robert M. Price takes this concept even further and demonstrates the entire New Testament is a midrash interpretation of Old Testament stories.

4. Then I found out none of the Gospels contain any first person accounts of anything and nobody knows who the authors were. The Jesus story existed for decades in oral form before anyone wrote them down.

5. Then I found out that history is filled with Jesus stories that preceded Jesus by as much as thousand years. Dying and resurrecting God/Men stories were common throughout many Middle Eastern cultures. And all the elements of the Jesus story were in these original pagan God/Man myths. The evidence suggest the Jewish version was simply a modification of similar pagan stories and they called their God/Man Joshua but that name became Jesus when it was translated into Greek.

6. I could go on but that is probably sufficient to make the point that history exhibits abundant evidence that Jesus was a mythological character. The Jesus story may have been based on some person, which I personally doubt, but whoever that man was certainly wasn’t anything like the Jesus of the Gospels.

• Like 1

2. No evidence has ever been uncovered that confirms a place called Nazareth ever existed either.

That's not quite right. Nazareth exists today and has for a long time. The issue is that there's no solid evidence that Nazareth existed at the time Jesus would have been born.

• Like 1

That's not quite right. Nazareth exists today and has for a long time. The issue is that there's no solid evidence that Nazareth existed at the time Jesus would have been born.

And even if the Gospel are fake, the city must've existed when the Gospels were fabricated, which (if we should believe historians) is around 80 AD or so. In other words, the city/village most likely existed at least at that point.

And even if the Gospel are fake, the city must've existed when the Gospels were fabricated, which (if we should believe historians) is around 80 AD or so. In other words, the city/village most likely existed at least at that point.

There are claims about when to date the Gospels that are all over the map, but even with the mainstream dating, like you said it's roughly eight decades after Nazareth would have needed to have been already established. There's also the issue of knowing that the Gospels were altered over the years, so do we even know that "Nazareth" was originally in the narrative? Perhaps it was, but supposedly no extra-biblical references to Nazareth exist from prior to around 200 AD, according to Wikipedia (I know, not the greatest source, but I don't feel ambitious enough at the moment to study it thoroughly).

True, I was referring to the first century or time of Jesus. I should have noted that.

There are claims about when to date the Gospels that are all over the map, but even with the mainstream dating, like you said it's roughly eight decades after Nazareth would have needed to have been already established. There's also the issue of knowing that the Gospels were altered over the years, so do we even know that "Nazareth" was originally in the narrative? Perhaps it was, but supposedly no extra-biblical references to Nazareth exist from prior to around 200 AD, according to Wikipedia (I know, not the greatest source, but I don't feel ambitious enough at the moment to study it thoroughly).

There are some archeological findings that might suggest that it was at least a small settlement in the first century, perhaps an outpost or a cult center. The point is, however, that Nazareth did exist at some point when either the Gospels were written or Nazareth was edited into the Gospels.

I think the extra-biblical reference is dated 200 AD because of the documents that were written at that time, but if I understood it right, the text in the document makes the claim Nazareth was a Jewish settlement in the 2nd century. It was Jewish dominated/rules until 7th century, or something like that.

True, I was referring to the first century or time of Jesus. I should have noted that.

It's so easy to write things like that, to put it in "absolutes" like "always", "never", "everyone", etc. It happens to me too.

I was actually kind of relieved when I came to the conclusion that the xtian god doesn't exist. So it wasn't that I wasn't good enough for God or not praying enough or that I didn't have enough faith, it was that he wasn't there. I didn't have to feel like I had somehow failed. I felt like a kid who found out that monster under the bed that's been terrifying me for years was actually a sock.

I especially liked the part in bold.

• 5 months later...

There are a TON of quotes here, a wealth of wisdom on these boards, here's just a small sampling!  

Of course, what it's saying all together is, do *nothing* but blindly pray, enjoy it, and don't
question it. That's what you do when you're a Christian. –Pantophobia (my fave quote!)

So the Secret is that there's no secret. While you may expect the magical laws of the mystical universe to bring you what you desire, your focus, effort, and perseverance are still required for success. Duh.  –florduh

Life has positive and negative aspects. We need to learn how to deal with both of those things. You

cannot think or speak shit into being. But you can get off your ass and facilitate it. –Galien

Yes I know the parents don't believe they are lying, but they might as well be teaching their kids that

2+2=22.  Forcing their kids to be "dumb" in a certain aspect just isn't right.- Adrianime

I hate this so much. I don't know who I am anymore since my whole 'reality' has been turned upside down.- FreeThyMind (my thoughts exactly)

Anyone with anxiety should steer well clear of christianity. It just exacerbates your problem and makes you much much worse.- Galien

But of course these assholes peddling "the secret" and other THINK HAPPY THOUGHTS!!11eleventy! bullshit just want you to sit down, shut up, and hand over your wallet.  That's it. –Vendredie

It's why the bible teaches to "raise a child in the way that they should go and they will never depart from it."  Because many of the things we learn as children stick with us throughout our lives.- LifeCycle

You've been brainwashed, don't take that lightly. It's no wonder so many have anxiety once they discover the religion they grew accustomed to is a lie. And make no mistake, it is a lie.-florduh  (one of the most comforting quotes)

Hire me.  I will banish any demon for $49.95. Act now and I will include a complementary bottle of Holy Water that I prayed over myself.- mymistake 

Lying's not okay even if it's for a good cause. If you have to lie and distort facts, if you have to manipulate emotions, then your position isn't sound- Akheia

I want what's left of me to be recycled into something useful, to go back into the cycle of life instead of being frozen in death- VacuumFlux

Wouldn't you want to shuffle your way murderously into eternity? –Jose

WHO is presenting the evidence is as important than WHAT is being presented, to a great extent.-Akheia 

Religion is a plague on mankind. A mental and moral social disease.. I'm thoroughly convinced now.-Ravenstar (me too)

They have a central authority that thinks for them because they are part of the collective now.-Geezer (comparing Christianity to the Borg and how great and true is that comparison!)

Because people think that "I'll pray for you" or "Praise Him!" are reasonable responses to someone in distress. Because Christianity treats people like they are disposable and less than human. –Pantophobia 

And more to come in the future! Love this site wub.png cloud9_99.gif jesus.gif

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Religion is for people who fear hell.  Spirituality is for people who've already been through hell.

• Like 1