Goodbye Jesus

An Email From The Father-In-Law

electech98

• Super Moderator

I can't believe you put up with that shit.

Haha, you guys are a riot! 58.gif Love the replies, LOL.

To answer a few things: it's no surprise that he reacts this way. He does indeed feel eternally justified in put-downs and even "curses" in his attempt to shame me into returning to the fold. In his mind, nothing is more important in the universe than believing in Jesus, and that applies to EVERYONE!!!!!! I think part of it is a very bruised ego at having someone in his family step outside of the box for once, and him being a pastor and all. Actually, his mother is a non-believer, and he tries constantly to convert her even though she has told him to stop.

I have not shown my wife the email, as she did state she didn't want to be in the middle of it...but I might casually mention to her that her dad emailed me again. If she asks what was in it, I will gladly show her in all of its "hexing" glory.

I have not sent him any reading lists, due to my previously instituted boundary of keeping discussions of religion and faith with him off-limits. I don't want to be the one to break the barrier of silence, unless necessary. If it is necessary, I will probably email him one strongly-worded email about not knowing what boundaries are or how to respect them...at that point, I can list references to books, etc. Or I might send him a book myself from Amazon, the same he did with me. Or, just send him the book that he bought me back to him with all my critical notes attached.

The only reason I put up with this shit is for my kids, honestly. My kids are the most important to me. My wife and I have not had any sort of falling out or anything, and as long as we have not, it seems better to not deliberately break up the family just to get away from some douche in-laws. But at the same time, my wife is an adult...if she takes sides in this whole thing and more or less approves of their behavior, we have a problem.

Haha, I wonder if I should send him this email back:

Dear FIL,

Resorting to putting hexes on me from Yahweh now, are we?

LOL.

SIL

DOOOOOO EEEEEEET

As fucking good as it would feel, don't get sucked down to his infantile level.

Although I always go back to thinking if you did go the "notes in his book" route, that should end FOR GOOD the book sending shit.

• Like 1

I'm really sorry you're going through this. I hope your wife comes around soon. One of the most difficult things since deconverting is seeing my husband in a different way. It's almost like you can see the "cult grip" in their eyes, the look I know I once had. I just want to cry and plead with him to see what I see. I hope in time he does, as I do for your wife, too...

I'm really sorry you're going through this. I hope your wife comes around soon. One of the most difficult things since deconverting is seeing my husband in a different way. It's almost like you can see the "cult grip" in their eyes, the look I know I once had. I just want to cry and plead with him to see what I see. I hope in time he does, as I do for your wife, too...

Remind me, does your hubby know you've fully deconverted?

Remind me, does your hubby know you've fully deconverted?

Oh yes, he knows this very much...

Maybe a crisply-worded letter along the lines of, "I got your email and would like to remind you, once again, that religion is not a topic I care to discuss with you. I have informed you several times now that you are no longer a spiritual authority over me, and I wlll take one last opportunity to remind you that you have no right to threaten me or demand I spend time or money reading books to justify my decisions to you. Please do not force me to cut contact with you."

It's telling that he even tries these control tactics on his own mother. What a disrespectful son! Doesn't he know them's stonin' words in his religion's own book?

• Like 5

What church does he attend again? I would send a copy of this to his pastor, fellowship leaders, etc., and highlight his purposeful prayers for ill will towards you and your family. That is a huge no no, I don't care what branch of church you are in. He has put your wife in the middle on several occasions. He has made it clear he won't respect your boundaries. Now this? I would take it to his turf and let him answer to his peers for it. Shit, I'd get a mailing list and ask all of the church members to pray for him, tag a copy of the note along with it, and make it clear he is obviously consumed with selfish desire and thinks he can use the lord in order to attain said desires.

Drag him through every mud puddle of social circles he is a member of.

Also, I would send him a self-help book about controlling and abusive behavior.

• Like 1

Damn it, I WANT HIS EMAIL ADDY!Wendyloser.gif Seriously, he can get family and pastors to gang up on you? Time to bring out your ammo! Let us have at it! PLEASEEEEE!!!!zDuivel7.gif

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Doing it for the kids? That's the reason? Well, the best thing for any kids would be to never have any contact with such a vile, manipulative and toxic person.

• Like 1

Doing it for the kids? That's the reason? Well, the best thing for any kids would be to never have any contact with such a vile, manipulative and toxic person.

And they haven't had contact with him...they have not been put in the middle. When he has been around our kids in the past, he is a good grandpa. But if he tries to bring them into any of this the next time he has contact with them, THEN the shit will hit the fan.

• Like 6

I say you open a can of WHOAP ASS!

No seriously as much crap as you've been through with this moron you should cut ties.

LOL, I think the FIL is starting to become a little restless at my silence.

From yesterday:

Dear Jeremy

I continue to pray for you because of my concern for your spiritual welfare, given

your state of mind.

Hopefully the reading material I've sent you have or are actually reading. I'd be

interested in any impact it's having on you.

I myself have in spurts read Herman Banick's 3 volumes entitled "Reformed Dogmatics"

for my own edification, and as I have just recently been reading from His first volume,

"Prolegomena" I thought of you and what a good read it would be for you who like to

delve into intellectual discussion. So I would recommend it to you, but you'll have to

get it yourself.

I ought let you know that I am praying that the Lord give you no peace in your life until

your once again embrace the faith you did profess.

In Christ

Dad

He's fishing for information. Don't give him any. :-) What would happen if any questions about your beliefs were met with vague and non-committal answers... or no answer at all? Emails can be ignored and so can phone calls. In person interrogation can be more difficult but you certainly don't have to answer any questions you don't want to.

"So, Jeremy do you believe in Jesus?"

Scratch your chin and say, "Hmmmmm." Then talk about something else. :-) Being ambiguous could be really fun. "Jeremy, have you reconciled with God yet?" "Well, Dad, recently , and at His request I swore an oath of silence before the Lord. I am forbidden to discuss religious matters with anyone." lol.

From yesterday:

Dear Jeremy

I continue to pray for you because of my concern for your spiritual welfare, given

your state of mind.

Hopefully the reading material I've sent you have or are actually reading. I'd be

I myself have in spurts read Herman Banick's 3 volumes entitled "Reformed Dogmatics"

for my own edification, and as I have just recently been reading from His first volume,

"Prolegomena" I thought of you and what a good read it would be for you who like to

delve into intellectual discussion. So I would recommend it to you, but you'll have to

get it yourself.

I ought let you know that I am praying that the Lord give you no peace in your life until

In Christ

Dad

are you at the point where you are just laughing at this shit now?

It all seems so silly and petty to me, the longer it goes on.

From yesterday:

Dear Jeremy

your state of mind.

get it yourself.

In Christ

Dad

are you at the point where you are just laughing at this shit now?

It all seems so silly and petty to me, the longer it goes on.

It's funny that you say silly and petty. That it most certainly is. But to them, it is the most important thing in the world for them to try to convince us to believe.

I may as well tell him I'm praying that Zeus sends him no peace until he stops being a jerk.

Or you could just do the opposite and say your telepathing Satan to bring him peace.

That would fuck him up.

Which shows that silence is the proper response.

He's wrestling with himself and wants you to join.

From yesterday:

Dear Jeremy

your state of mind.

No impact. Silence is once again golden here.

<snip>

Well, there it is. The perfect reason to remain completely silent, avoiding any discussion of religion.

I was wondering how long it would take for this type of bile to be vomited forth.

BTW, he spelled "praying" wrong...in this case it means "preying".

Perhaps you should respond after all:

Dear Dad, I ought to let you know that after careful consideration and prayer, I've decided to become a follower of the one true God...Allah.

You were right....God is Great!

I suspect he would be in a state of apoplexy if you dropped this bomb on his head.

Electech, I agree that silence is your most powerful weapon here. Father-in-law will continue to make silly noises if you don't respond, and if he does it enough I foresee a time (however distant) where even *he* doesn't believe what he's saying.

He wants a tug-of-war. Visualize yourself dropping your end of the rope and wandering away, then observe from a safe distance. It'll be... Entertaining.

• Like 5

You guys are probably right. Silence will continue to be my MO. In the meantime, I'll finish reading the book he bought me, finish my notes on it, and type it up in Word just in case the opportunity arises that I would need to send it to him along with his book.

So when you continue to be a non-Christian and good things happen to you, you're not suicidal, etc...what will he say? If God doesn't do anything to bring someone back into the fold and lets them live their life as a happy non-Christian I can only come to 2 conclusions: 1. Yahweh didn't exist in the first place, 2. God really doesn't care

Of course, knowing fundies, he'll probably chalk it up to "God's Will" and try to predict that you'll somehow impact someone's life or that you'll reconvert and become a testament to God's power or something stupid like that.

• Like 2

Oh, eventually something unpleasant will happen to him. I mean, it's inevitable. Into each life, etc etc. And when disaster strikes, as it always does, FIL will be VERY quick to crow about how his prayers got answered and ignore anything else. What a cruel, evil god. If that's how he likes to communicate with his wayward children, then he can fuck off.

• Like 1

The classic fortuneteller's move - if anything bad happens, he can say it's the result of his prayers. And since some bad always happens (a car repair, a sickness, etc.), he'll always be able to say it worked, so you now must believe.

I've got to say, I'd have a hard time not responding:

I ought to let you know that I am praying Odin gives you no peace in your life until you sacrifice two doves and a goat.

I think it might be worth it and will communicate how you see his threats.

385660_622415767328_1365865946_n.jpg

• Like 4

The classic fortuneteller's move - if anything bad happens, he can say it's the result of his prayers. And since some bad always happens (a car repair, a sickness, etc.), he'll always be able to say it worked, so you now must believe.

I've got to say, I'd have a hard time not responding:

I ought to let you know that I am praying Odin gives you no peace in your life until you sacrifice two doves and a goat.

I think it might be worth it and will communicate how you see his threats.

385660_622415767328_1365865946_n.jpg

HAHAHA, that's awesome!

when dem christians tell you they're praying for you because they actually don't have much confidence in the power of prayer and subconsciously hope that telling you you're being prayed for will have a psychological impact...

• Like 1