Goodbye Jesus

When They Think They Say Somthing Clever To "destroy" Your Atheism And It Makes You Want To Face Palm.

Kaiser01

So what is the dumbest “gotcha!” argument that you have ever heard while debating a Christian?

Mine is that atheist really believe in God because they use the lords name in vain and my other favorite is that it takes more faith to be a atheist than a Christian.

• Like 2

"If we evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys??"

GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

Ive encountered that one before and it didnt end well for the guy.

To face palm? What about a good ol' fist to the face? Pow right in the kisser! If jesus were real he would've stopped that fist!

Mine is that atheist really believe in God because they use the lords name in vain...

Pretty much my favorite too, though I guess that's at least part because of that wonderful counterstrike line about the names of the weekdays which never fails to make them DUH...? :fdevil:

I definitely hate the "takes more faith to be an atheist" bit. Just a petty attempt to mirror their ignorance on to us.

• Like 2

Please tell us more, I want to know how you owned this guy!

Christians boast about how stupid the disciples were, and expect us to believe them with no evidence.

(not that they actually existed or wrote anything)

Please tell us more, I want to know how you owned this guy!

It was a while back in high shcool durring a model united nations meating, and it was a small meet but it was fun and the people there got to know each other pretty well. Well one had asked me what i wanted to do with college and i told them i wanted to be a evolutionary biologist. So a freind of mine next to me just blurted out in that "gotcha" attitude, "If evolution is true why are there still monkeys?" and i turned and asked him if he really wanted to start this with me and so i explained to him how it worked but he was humiliated becuase that was the college he wanted to go too and all the college students there made a fool out of him.

• Like 1

"There's more evidence for Jesus Christ having existed than George Washington. Just look at the volume of bibles that are printed."

I told the minister that within an hour I could probably get one of GW's descendents on the phone. So I asked him if he could do the same for his alleged Jesus man.

Later I found that he probably got this lame argument from one of those stupid Lee Strobel books. Regardless, if he wanted to use the name in print as evidence I should think he might want to take the tour of the U.S. Treasury before he goes down that path again.

I've encountered the one one about using god's name in vain as well. My response was, "Is there really such a thing as a shithead?"

• Like 3

my comeback to the Geo. Washington/ Abe Lincoln apologetic is:

"You don't have to believe in George Washington if you don't want to. That's fine. Whether or not you "believe" doesn't change history. AND the ghost of George Washington won't send you to hell for not believing in him."

• Like 1

So what is the dumbest “gotcha!” argument that you have ever heard while debating a Christian?

Mine is that atheist really believe in God because they use the lords name in vain and my other favorite is that it takes more faith to be a atheist than a Christian.

"The fact that you can conceive of a god you don't believe in proves he exists. Otherwise, where would the idea come from?"

• Like 1

"The fact that you can conceive of a god you don't believe in proves he exists. Otherwise, where would the idea come from?"

I remember a Sunday school teacher I had going on a rant about that non-believers saying "goddamn it" She told them to say "Buddha damn it" instead. They don't really have a grasp of how language and slang work.

-I hate the ones that say you're just an atheist so you can justify sinning.

-I've had [insert minor lucky thing they claim is a meraculous] happen to me! How do you explain that.

-People have died on the operating table, hospital bed or in an accident, saw either a light or a fire pit as they had either been to heaven or hell before being revived

All that ish.

Mine would have to be, it started off with "Behold the Atheists nightmare, if you study a well made banana..." FACEPALM!!!!!

It was a while back in high shcool durring a model united nations meating, and it was a small meet but it was fun and the people there got to know each other pretty well. Well one had asked me what i wanted to do with college and i told them i wanted to be a evolutionary biologist. So a freind of mine next to me just blurted out in that "gotcha" attitude, "If evolution is true why are there still monkeys?" and i turned and asked him if he really wanted to start this with me and so i explained to him how it worked but he was humiliated becuase that was the college he wanted to go too and all the college students there made a fool out of him.

Lol!!! With an attitude like that he deserved to be made a fool of. I hope that taught him to never use that stupid argument again. I used to think the same way as him about evolution... when I was 15 and didn't know anything about it hahahahahahaha!

Mine would have to be, it started off with "Behold the Atheists nightmare, if you study a well made banana..." FACEPALM!!!!!

Lol i couldent stop laughing at that video, o ray...

About a month ago, some asshole on youtube said that atheists sounded like criminals. His arguement was that the bible says people will rebel against the "knowledge" God gave them. Therefore, any scientist who looks to other sources outside the bible are proving that it's true. I think I literally facepalmed at that one.

This actually isn't their worst argument. It's one of their best actually. It's derived from St Anselm's Ontological argument:

Anselm's argument in Chapter 2 can be summarised as follows:[20]

1. Our understanding of God is a being than which no greater can be conceived.
  2. The idea of God exists in the mind.
  3. A being which exists both in the mind and in reality is greater than a being that exists only in the mind.
  4. If God only exists in the mind, then we can conceive of a greater being—that which exists in reality.
  5. We cannot be imagining something that is greater than God.
  6. Therefore, God exists.

It doesn't prove god's existence, but it is logically coherent and consistent. Guanilo, btw, countered with the notion that he could imagine a perfect island, but that doesn't mean it really exists.

This actually isn't their worst argument. It's one of their best actually. It's derived from St Anselm's Ontological argument:

Anselm's argument in Chapter 2 can be summarised as follows:[20]

1. Our understanding of God is a being than which no greater can be conceived.
  2. The idea of God exists in the mind.
  3. A being which exists both in the mind and in reality is greater than a being that exists only in the mind.
  4. If God only exists in the mind, then we can conceive of a greater being—that which exists in reality.
  5. We cannot be imagining something that is greater than God.
  6. Therefore, God exists.

It doesn't prove god's existence, but it is logically coherent and consistent. Guanilo, btw, countered with the notion that he could imagine a perfect island, but that doesn't mean it really exists.

This position I think posses a problem for them on the same side however when it comes to existentialism, if I can conceive of no absolutes in reality than that must mean there is a perfect state of no absolutes and if there is then there is no absolute God.

This position I think posses a problem for them on the same side however when it comes to existentialism, if I can conceive of no absolutes in reality than that must mean there is a perfect state of no absolutes and if there is then there is no absolute God.

I agree. It poses problems on at least several levels. It's at best logically consistent.

This is a good lesson in logic. Something can sometimes be logical and yet not necessarily true.

I read or heard somewhere the other day that the use of logic and logical fallacies can sometimes merely serve to entrench one in one's beliefs. It gives you a sense of security that you are right and a way to fend off critics.

Generally when people do this, they pick and choose their logic carefully and point out fallacies their critics make while not examining the many more they themselves are making. This is why it's important to maintain the attitude of a student in life and not a teacher. We always must be willing to learn and self examine so we don't end up so married to an idea that problems with it can't seep through.

waterargument.jpg

I was tempted to think it's a Poe, but when you take a look at Christian forumers agreeing with it it seems like it isn't: http://www.landoverb...ead.php?t=69985

LMAOWendytwitch.gifGONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

What is this? Have they ever even hear dof the water cycle? how can you be so stupid? this really takes the cake, im saving that picture.

waterargument.jpg

I was tempted to think it's a Poe, but when you take a look at Christian forumers agreeing with it it seems like it isn't: http://www.landoverb...ead.php?t=69985

The Landover Baptist site is satire. I would take whatever the posters on the forum write as tongue-in-cheek.