Goodbye Jesus

Bible Verses To Post On Fb To Reveal All Of The Christian "god"

sjessen

• Super Moderator

Consider the "hassle-to-fun" ratio. Is the fun worth the hassle?

• Like 1

If I did it, and I've thought about it, I'd toss out judges 1:19 first. WAIT! I actually did that once. Got a xian response of " I hope god is with me like he was with The men of Judah". I almost committed suicide facepalming.

Missed the point completely. See? That's the kind of idiocy you'll likely deal with.

Yeah, I see. WendyDoh.gif

If I did it, and I've thought about it, I'd toss out judges 1:19 first. WAIT! I actually did that once. Got a xian response of " I hope god is with me like he was with The men of Judah". I almost committed suicide facepalming.

Missed the point completely. See? That's the kind of idiocy you'll likely deal with.

Maybe I missed something, but what is wrong with Judges 1:19? All I see is something about the men of Judah trying to occupy a hill with chariots or something.

Says they couldnt take the inhabitants of the mountain bc they had iron chariots, even though "god was with them".

Some all powerful deity.

Says they couldnt take the inhabitants of the mountain bc they had iron chariots, even though "god was with them".

Some all powerful deity.

Iron chariots are God's kryptonite! (I read that somewhere, didn't make it up.)

Some places in the Bible God is all powerful, other places it says he couldn't do something.

Ezekiel 23:20: She lusted after lovers with genitals as large as a donkey's and emissions like those of a horse.

eek.gif

Here is the KJV, for the edification of all:

For she doted upon their paramours, whose flesh is as the flesh of asses, and whose issue is like the issue of horses.

yelrotflmao.gif

• Like 1

Great thread! I love this idea, even though I'm a little reticent about coming out like this just yet...I'm filing this gem away for later. evilbible.com is a treasure, thanks for sharing that! I agree with many on this thread that part of my deconversion had to do with seeing inconsistencies between what the bible said and what was preached or believed by people. I don't think you can know how doing something like this will affect people, but it may just chip away at it. As atheists, we're just scattering seeds, and we hope some of it lands on fertile soil...O WAIT! LOL trt19ROFLPIMP.gif

• Like 1

For she doted upon their paramours, whose flesh is as the flesh of asses, and whose issue is like the issue of horses.

yelrotflmao.gif

Say what? Must be the politically correct version! rolleyes.gif

See - I wouldn't go with any of the things that are out of context - or describing something negative.

How about that nice verse where God tells the Israelites to take a conquered city, kill all the men, women, kids, animals - but reserve the young girls who have not yet had sex to take as wives.

How about that nice Deuteronomy where they say that anyone handicapped cannot approach the alter?

yelrotflmao.gif

It's a wonder Hallmark Cards hasn't picked up on this great stuff yet. The Bible is a veritable treasure trove for a Hallmark Greeting, no? GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

• Like 1

An idea: what are some of the verses that really affected you guys and helped in promoting your de-conversion? i know, there are probably so many you can't hardly recall!

I think for me,

• the ugliness of the character of God in the OT was a huge factor once I quit making excuses for him.
  • I read Thomas Paine's Examination of the Prophecies and saw how the supposed prophecy verses in the Gospels were not prophetic of Jesus at all. Talk about taking things out of context!
  • I realized how some of the scriptures contradicted each other
  • the whole, do as I say, not as I do character of the god of the OT
  • the whole craziness of the XG (Christian God) requiring some kind of blood sacrifice
  • the whole craziness of as humans we are evil, no we're prized by XG, no we're his enemy, no he died for us. Wendycrazy.gif

I suppose I could start with something like how XG commanded them not to kill, but then told them to kill... whassup with that XG?

It would take a lot of verses, 'cause there isn't really just one. IMO, your eyes get opened when you take the whole of the Bible and realize the inconsistencies and craziness and unlikeliness that it is written by a XG that is supposed to be loving and kind. Sure, who wouldn't love a god who is loving and kind. But is that what we see in the Bible or in real life...

Some all powerful deity.

Slight correction... Judah took the hills but could not drive out the inhabitants of the plains. But the principle is the same. Apparently biblegod can flood the entire planet, incinerate cities on a whim, and create live humans with a touch. But he can't knock the wheels off a damned chariot.

Truly a laughable book. Of course the apologist will simply place the blame on the Judeans not having quite enough faith. Gawd can be with you but you can still lose... brilliant!

• Like 1

That is a great idea, but be aware you will probably have some backlash. That said, all you have to tell them is you are quoting the whole bible, not a narrow bible study but all of it ! biggrin.png

Personally I think if you can handle it, it would be worth it. You might -save a soul- from the prison of xianity. I think that's how so many xians get converted because they are so loud & in your face...& us ex-christians don't use our voice the way we could. (I know I don't, I'm working on though)

This is a little off topic but I stay in touch w/ some people who are not in the bible cult but have family in it. Yet, they are still fundy for all intents & purposes. So this lovely older lady emails me & she's going on about how happy she is that certain states are putting up the 10 commandments on the walls...& she's all tea-bagger...& how people need to think more about what the bible teaches...blah blah.

I actually emailed her back with some of my NEW formed opinions explaining that I don't believe the same that I used to when I was in the cult & did not get into any religious reasons, but she spoke of politics & I told her I've changed that way. She likes Francis Schafer & I told her that I like his son....(that might be a give a way)

I also suggested she might want to listen to NPR to get a broader view of issues that the radical right seem to think they have figured out.

I may have lost a "friend" but I'm kinda tired of these loud mouthed fundy's thinking they know everything. I may end up blogging anonymously one of these days.

Hey, good for you NAV! yellow.gif That is awesome that you told her where you are at/what you are thinking! It is sad that we have to lose friends over this. But like they say, maybe they aren't really your friend if they can't accept you for who you really are. It seems my Christian friends are there 'cause they are hoping I'll covert. Not really a friendship in my opinion.

• Like 1

I am sick of a friend of mine posting all these Bible verses on FB. The other day, she said she loves God because he is so KIND. She says she doesn't think she would love him if he weren't so kind.

I asked her what KINDNESS she was referring to, and she gave the usual response: he died for undeserving me, he gets me through everything, that kind of answer.

I was ranting about this and then the idea popped in my mind to start posting Bible verses on my FB page that show how UNKIND God has been revealed to be in the Bible. Or anything that just doesn't make any sense.

Okay, so I need your help.

1. Do you think this will accomplish anything positive or is it just a waste of time?
  2. Would you please contribute verses here on this thread that I can use?

Okay, I look forward to your responses. wicked.gif

Waste of time. Just 'unsubscribe' from their feed while remaining friends.

I am sick of a friend of mine posting all these Bible verses on FB. The other day, she said she loves God because he is so KIND. She says she doesn't think she would love him if he weren't so kind.

I asked her what KINDNESS she was referring to, and she gave the usual response: he died for undeserving me, he gets me through everything, that kind of answer.

I was ranting about this and then the idea popped in my mind to start posting Bible verses on my FB page that show how UNKIND God has been revealed to be in the Bible. Or anything that just doesn't make any sense.

1. Do you think this will accomplish anything positive or is it just a waste of time?

Waste of time. Just 'unsubscribe' from their feed while remaining friends.

That's what I decided to do, niterider. I decided that there is just this one person making all this noise and I would be reacting to her alone. Most everyone else on my feed keeps their religion to a tolerable level. It would look like I was inciting something.

I'm sorry if I have disappointed anyone here. Sounds like a lot of us have had that same thought. For the time being I'm going to refrain from saying anything. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and helping me make this decision. I think this takes me a step closer to actually standing up for what I think, however, and gives me some websites I can refer to for some ammo.

I almost did it today too. It's so tempting. But I don't want to be considered a troll. But I love trying to get people to think. Unfortunately it's a dying art.

I almost did it today too. It's so tempting. But I don't want to be considered a troll. But I love trying to get people to think. Unfortunately it's a dying art.

You sound a bit like my brother. He likes to bring up things just to have a debate.

It is tempting!!!!! Like you, I don't want to be considered a troll either.

BTW, you are good at getting people to think. You do that very well on this site, I feel.

Per question 1, it's hard to say. Per question 2, if I was to do something like this, I'd probably start with these:

Deuteronomy 22:28-29
(NIV)

If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, he shall pay her father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.

1 Samuel 15:3
(NIV)

Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.

How can anyone justify forcing rape victims to marry their rapists? How can anyone justify murdering little children and infants?

• Like 1

Per question 1, it's hard to say. Per question 2, if I was to do something like this, I'd probably start with these:

Deuteronomy 22:28-29
(NIV)

If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, he shall pay her father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.

1 Samuel 15:3
(NIV)

Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.

How can anyone justify forcing rape victims to marry their rapists? How can anyone justify murdering little children and infants?

God works in mysterious ways. Who are you to question god. He chastises those He loves. So he loved them A LOT. HE LOVED THOSE AMALAKITES, JEBUSITES AND RAPE VICTIMS SO MUCH THAT HE ENDED THEIR PITIFUL LIVES EARLY (a blessing) AND ENDOWED THE RAPEES WITH THE SANCTAMENT OF MARRIAGE. DON'T TOU SEE?!?!?!

When god does what god does, it is perfect, beautiful and holy. When a human does what god does, it can be a crime punishable by death.

Might does not make right.

Btw, as I write this I'm 10 feet from the waves in panama city beach, Florida.

:)-

Oh, it's nice.

http://loltheists.com/?attachment_id=1622

^^ Link to a chart that has some interesting takes on scripture and God's nature. Good luck on your FB endeavours. You're a braver troll than most of us will ever be!

http://loltheists.co...achment_id=1622

^^ Link to a chart that has some interesting takes on scripture and God's nature. Good luck on your FB endeavours. You're a braver troll than most of us will ever be!

'Fraid not. I decided not to do it. I decided I was responding to the posts of just one person. Everyone else keeps their religious comments tolerable. I just stopped receiving her posts to give me some peace for awhile. I didn't feel like the rest of the people I'm friends with deserved to have their faith attacked. I did think about starting out by saying something about how there are a lot of strange verses in the Bible. Don't know, am still thinking on that.

Ezekiel 23:20: She lusted after lovers with genitals as large as a donkey's and emissions like those of a horse.

eek.gif

yelrotflmao.gif

my demented xpastor actually mentioned that one in a sermon once...probably more than once because the guy seemed to be obsessed

with sex...sheesh!GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gifeek.gif we were KJV only so I KNOW that one.....Wendytwitch.gif

• Like 1

yelrotflmao.gif

It's a wonder Hallmark Cards hasn't picked up on this great stuff yet. The Bible is a veritable treasure trove for a Hallmark Greeting, no? GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

You may have started a whole new greeting card niche!!

Hey SJ, it's allright, you will do it when you are ready. No need to make yourself feel bad about it. Also, I have not really mentioned the name of my group publicly...

yeah, what a coward I am. I WANT to do that so fucking bad....I want to start a whole blog on that mfer "pastard" & all of the abuse, etc....

I think I will someday, but not now. I have too much going on & don't need the emotional shit that will go along with whistle blowing on "gawd's true & holy church".glare.gif

But I know myself & I know some others who have outed the cult churches they were involved in & they inspire me......

but I can't do it now.blush.png

• Like 1