Goodbye Jesus

Interesting Experience Today

Ouroboros

I love hot spicy food too. Years ago I was eating nachos that had some killer jalapenos. I was also drinking a margarita through a straw. DH took a sip of my drink, started choking and broke out into a sweat from the second-hand heat transfer from the straw. eek.gif

Here's a drink for ya: IMG_0665.jpg

I took tequila, sliced up jalapeños, habaneros, ceranos, and some tai chili and put them in the tequila to infuse for a couple of weeks. It's extremely spicy. It's liquid hotness. A couple of times, my oldest kids and I take a small shot of it (like a tablespoon of it is enough). My youngest daughter (16) insisted she could try. I let her, and she was running around in circles afterwards screaming for water. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif (damn us evil parents!)

Ha ha, you're a sick man Hans.

Have you ever tried Pertsovka? It's pepper flavored vodka. In the US, you can get it from Stolichnaya and Finlandia. Finladia brand calls it Peppar. Really good when you have a cold. Clears up your sinuses.

I'm like you, I couldn't handle a lot of heat until the last few years. Our American friend brought us some Vietnamese Saracha sauce (seems it's made in CA, not Vietnam) and I started putting it on everything. Then, after Thailand, everything seemed bland to me without some heat.

I can't do the crazy hot, like pure habenero, but I definitely like things spicier than I used to.

Ha ha, you're a sick man Hans.

:)

Have you ever tried Pertsovka? It's pepper flavored vodka. In the US, you can get it from Stolichnaya and Finlandia. Finladia brand calls it Peppar. Really good when you have a cold. Clears up your sinuses.

Nice! I have to check tomorrow. We're going to one of the larger liquor stores tomorrow. I have to look for it.

I'm like you, I couldn't handle a lot of heat until the last few years. Our American friend brought us some Vietnamese Saracha sauce (seems it's made in CA, not Vietnam) and I started putting it on everything. Then, after Thailand, everything seemed bland to me without some heat.

Yes. I've been using the Saracha (I think they call it Siracha here, but not sure) for a while too. It actually started with my wife making homemade burgers last year, and I started to put jalapeño slices on it... more and more...

I can't do the crazy hot, like pure habenero, but I definitely like things spicier than I used to.

I've taken pieces of habanero, but never a whole. It's too much at one time, plus, it's not really the heat only I'm after, but some of the unique pepper flavors that are hidden in there. The heat comes with the territory.

oh wow, this happened to me when my husband and I ate at a sushi restaurant for the first time. the waiter told me to try the wasabi in the soy sauce and i ate the whole thing. it burned so bad.

Wasabi is awesome. Especially if you can get freshly pureed, not that canned stuff.

i am amazed you were calm about the prospect of dying, though...

I know. So crazy. I've been in similar situations and had my calm, but this situation was more drawn out... I could think and reason while gasping for air. The only thing I felt was a bummer was that I thought it was a stupid way to die. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif If I'm going, I want it to be something cool, like while wrestling a bankrobber or something, or saving a kitten from a tree. Something more heroic and exciting than chocking on spicy tai sauce. LOL!

• Super Moderator

I love hot spicy food too. Years ago I was eating nachos that had some killer jalapenos. I was also drinking a margarita through a straw. DH took a sip of my drink, started choking and broke out into a sweat from the second-hand heat transfer from the straw. eek.gif

Here's a drink for ya: IMG_0665.jpg

NICE! I'm gonna have to try something like that. It even looks cool....errrrrrr I mean hot. I made some mead for the first time this past winter. mmm mmm good!

I took tequila, sliced up jalapeños, habaneros, ceranos, and some tai chili and put them in the tequila to infuse for a couple of weeks. It's extremely spicy. It's liquid hotness. A couple of times, my oldest kids and I take a small shot of it (like a tablespoon of it is enough). My youngest daughter (16) insisted she could try. I let her, and she was running around in circles afterwards screaming for water. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif(damn us evil parents!)

Well we parents do have to have a little fun every now and then! GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

Reminds me of an experience at a Caribbean restaurant about 10-15years ago. A bottle of death sauce was on the table. I tried it -- good but really hot. I said that a drop or two was plenty -- even for me. But would my then 20-something-oh-so-macho-man-son listen to his good ol' mom? Of course not. He doused his food with it. After one bite, he gulped down every glass of water and every other beverage on the table he could get his hands on. His mouth was flaming hot for the rest of the day. I know it was bad of me, but I just couldn't help but laugh. zDuivel2.gifukliam2.gif Even to this day, whenever I find a good hot sauce, I'll buy him a bottle also -- for old time's sake. At least he laughs about it too! What can I say -- he's got my warped sense of humor.

I have also found that the older I get, the more heat and spicy flavors I crave. When I was younger, I hated Bloody Mary's. Never have liked tomato juice--still don't. But once I discovered Absolut Peppar Vodka and V-8 Spicy, I was able to add a new drink to my repertoire. wicked.gif

• Like 1

NICE! I'm gonna have to try something like that. It even looks cool....errrrrrr I mean hot.

It's so simple too. We rarely take any shots from it, but we've used it a little in cooking. Just a splash (or barely) in the frying pan, and whoooof, flambé! :fire:

I made some mead for the first time this past winter. mmm mmm good!

Niiiice. I haven't done mead yet, only grain beers. I might try mead later this year just for fun.

Reminds me of an experience at a Caribbean restaurant about 10-15years ago. A bottle of death sauce was on the table. I tried it -- good but really hot. I said that a drop or two was plenty -- even for me. But would my then 20-something-oh-so-macho-man-son listen to his good ol' mom? Of course not. He doused his food with it. After one bite, he gulped down every glass of water and every other beverage on the table he could get his hands on. His mouth was flaming hot for the rest of the day. I know it was bad of me, but I just couldn't help but laugh. zDuivel2.gifukliam2.gif Even to this day, whenever I find a good hot sauce, I'll buy him a bottle also -- for old time's sake. At least he laughs about it too! What can I say -- he's got my warped sense of humor.

I like you. :HaHa: That's the way to do it. Hold no prisoners. The kids tortured you for 20 years, they deserve a little punishment.

I have also found that the older I get, the more heat and spicy flavors I crave. When I was younger, I hated Bloody Mary's. Never have liked tomato juice--still don't. But once I discovered Absolut Peppar Vodka and V-8 Spicy, I was able to add a new drink to my repertoire. wicked.gif

It's probably my age playing in for me too. I didn't like spicy food few years ago. But I guess I grew tired of all the standard flavors, so to speak.

When i die i want to be cremated and be thrown at the peak of mount everest by plane.

When i die i want to be cremated and be thrown at the peak of mount everest by plane.

If the space program needs volunteers to go to Mars, one way trip, I'd do it. They can spread my ashes over the red sands of Mars.

• Super Moderator

That's the way to do it. Hold no prisoners. The kids tortured you for 20 years, they deserve a little punishment.

Ahhh--- but the sweetest revenge is --- grandchildren. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gifwicked.gifGONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

Ahhh--- but the sweetest revenge is --- grandchildren. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gifwicked.gifGONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

It's the grandparents duty to spoil the grandchildren (for the pure satisfaction of annoying their parents)! ;)

Guest Valk0010

I've taken pieces of habanero, but never a whole. It's too much at one time, plus, it's not really the heat only I'm after, but some of the unique pepper flavors that are hidden in there. The heat comes with the territory.

I ate a whole habanero, even drinking milk hurt my stomach for a hour after.

A friend of ours took us to a Tai restaurant we haven't been to before. I love Tai food. And lately, the last year or so, I've grown very fond of very spicy food.

We got the food and the plate of a variety of the hottest sauces they had. I mixed them, and had a great time.

Then I had just one single piece of jalapeño and by accident I got some of the juices in my larynx. Suddenly I my throat constricted, and I couldn't breathe. The spiciness basically forced my throat shut. The first thing the went through my head was... "oh, bummer, here it is. Today is the day I die." But it was a very calm realization. Then I started to think if I could just chip away and get just a little bit of air. So I calmly tried to breathe and got extremely small amounts of air. And my thought was to just keep on slowly get the little air I could until I either passed out or the throat opened up again. After a minute or two, it got better and I could slowly start breathing again. My company were trying to ask me how I was doing during that time too... which is funny since I obviously couldn't speak... FrogsToadBigGrin.gif

oh wow, this happened to me when my husband and I ate at a sushi restaurant for the first time. the waiter told me to try the wasabi in the soy sauce and i ate the whole thing. it burned so bad. i am amazed you were calm about the prospect of dying, though...

Damn, girl! Nobody told you to only use a pinch did they? lol! That shit will tear you a new one! I was offered 100 bucks once to eat the whole thing and I still said "hell nah"!!!

I ate a whole habanero, even drinking milk hurt my stomach for a hour after.

Ergo, you're crazier than me!!! LOL!

Jeez, now I feel like a little virgin next to you big experienced folks. I don't like super-spicy food at all. A little spicy, but I don't even like japaleno-level spicy. I'm thankful suddenly that my husband is wildly allergic to raw peppers and onions of all kinds; he can't even kiss me if I've had any raw onions or peppers lately. He can have them cooked to death, so I use them in cooking, and apparently this has built up his immunity enough that a month ago he had a bunch of minced shallots in a gorgeous diced-tomato appetizer at a restaurant and didn't realize it till his terrified wife said something.

But onions and bell peppers are hard to live without, and I finally found a source for the best dried Italian peppers in the whole world. I LOVE LOVE LOVE these things (and will share this source with interested foodies, AFTER I've secured my own stash. PM me if you want food orgasms and have about $40 to blow).

A friend of ours took us to a Tai restaurant we haven't been to before. I love Tai food. And lately, the last year or so, I've grown very fond of very spicy food.

We got the food and the plate of a variety of the hottest sauces they had. I mixed them, and had a great time.

Then I had just one single piece of jalapeño and by accident I got some of the juices in my larynx. Suddenly I my throat constricted, and I couldn't breathe. The spiciness basically forced my throat shut. The first thing the went through my head was... "oh, bummer, here it is. Today is the day I die." But it was a very calm realization. Then I started to think if I could just chip away and get just a little bit of air. So I calmly tried to breathe and got extremely small amounts of air. And my thought was to just keep on slowly get the little air I could until I either passed out or the throat opened up again. After a minute or two, it got better and I could slowly start breathing again. My company were trying to ask me how I was doing during that time too... which is funny since I obviously couldn't speak... FrogsToadBigGrin.gif

oh wow, this happened to me when my husband and I ate at a sushi restaurant for the first time. the waiter told me to try the wasabi in the soy sauce and i ate the whole thing. it burned so bad. i am amazed you were calm about the prospect of dying, though...

Damn, girl! Nobody told you to only use a pinch did they? lol! That shit will tear you a new one! I was offered 100 bucks once to eat the whole thing and I still said "hell nah"!!!

lol, i wish that had told me! definitely a dumb & dumber moment. my esophagus was cleared out completely.

Ha! Yeah, that'll do it right there.

My Evil Ex was enamored of Japan before we tried living there (as English teachers, natch) and so we did the whole anime club and trying out the sushi restaurants that were popping up in Houston at the time. It was oh so daring. We hit a Benihana's type place and we had no idea what that green toothpaste-looking stuff was. So he popped a thumb-sized bit into his mouth. The memory of his reaction makes me warm on long cold nights.