Things religion has created that you're thankful for

Prolix

What things has religion created that you're thankful for? Here's mine.

1. Classical music

2. Better muskets

Continue.

What things has religion created that you're thankful for? Here's mine.

1. Classical music

2. Better muskets

Continue.

Hildegard von Bingen ROCKS FOR ETERNITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Erm, should I have said chants for eternity???

:HaHa:

Submissive Women.

Submissive beautiful chanting women.

hmm...I guess some are thankful for the sexual fantasies religion creates.

Also,

Art

Wine

interesting discussion

passionate arguing

self-discovery (it pushed me to learn because it was so wrong)

society...kind of...like civilization (that's also kind of something i am not glad it created sometimes)

but, these things might exist without religion

Yeah, I saw that thread too... :HaHa:

Yeah, I saw that thread too... :HaHa:

I'm glad the ancients invented Christmas, and that it caught on with the Christians later. I really can't think of too much because most things attributed to xtianity was already going on with the people around and before them.

Exploration

And the spread of gunpowder.. ;)

kL

Pie. I'm sure the Baptists must have invented pie.

Pot Luck

The chruch invented that right?

Guest Challenger

A friend of mine.

I couldn't imagine her being the way she is without being a Christian. Without it, she might be nice, funny, kind and sensitive. . .but then again, perhaps not.

For her, at least, Christianity has been a positive influence in her life.

I have to say music. There wouldn't be a lot of classical music if not for religion.

Are we limited to Xian religion only?

I can think of plenty of things that various religions have supported or helped bring forth or invented or whatever. If we're thinking Xian religion though:

Art. Some of the most amazing artwork has been created with a religious purpose in mind. (Really this goes for a lot of religions.)

Um... I can't think of anything else right now.

I've been thinking about this for awhile, and it seems to me that xtianity pretty much retarded society in general. They were opposed to anything scientific, as well as any art, books or music that didn't prop up the church. I think the church has held us back for 2,000+ years. Imagine where we'd be if they hadn't silenced so many freethinkers and 'heretics' who believed the earth revolved around the sun.

And what would artists have come up with if they hadn't been working in the shadow of the church? Bach might have written amazing odes to love instead of 'Jesu'.

Are we limited to Xian religion only?

No. The topic title is 'things religion has created', not 'xtianity has created'. So go ahead.

the church wanted to destroy harmonic music so badly, that they banned it for a while, until it became to popular and was subsumed, much like rock and roll has been subsumed slowly since the 70's into american fundie churches.

later, they forced people to write for them and took advantage of them greatly, and it is only the fact that they paid for the composer's food and housing that i am thankful. stop thanking them for music!!!

I've been thinking about this for awhile, and it seems to me that xtianity pretty much retarded society in general. They were opposed to anything scientific, as well as any art, books or music that didn't prop up the church. I think the church has held us back for 2,000+ years. Imagine where we'd be if they hadn't silenced so many freethinkers and 'heretics' who believed the earth revolved around the sun.

And what would artists have come up with if they hadn't been working in the shadow of the church? Bach might have written amazing odes to love instead of 'Jesu'.

Exactly, I'm not thankful for a damn thing that religion has wraught on the world. Seriously.

All the religions out there like Buddhism or Taoism which encorage thoughtfullness, Inquisitiveness, and thinking for yourself. Religions like that have encoraged us to learn not tried to stop us.

Seriously think about it, until about 500-600 years ago China and Japan were better technologicaly and culturally than Europe in almost everyway, to me that says thier religions were doing something better than the christian church was.

Also I'm thankful for Shinto....I'm sure it had something to do with creating Hentai :wicked:

stop thanking them for music!!!

I like classical music. So sue me. I am willing to bet that a lot of classical composers wouldn't have had the money to write anything if not for religous support.

These days, we have all kinds of independent artists who don't even need to go to the record labels to sell their music because the Internet exists. But it was a different time back then.

stop thanking them for music!!!

I like classical music. So sue me. I am willing to bet that a lot of classical composers wouldn't have had the money to write anything if not for religous support.

These days, we have all kinds of independent artists who don't even need to go to the record labels to sell their music because the Internet exists. But it was a different time back then.

if you read my post carefully, you will see i agree with you in that area. again, the church only started financing western harmonic music when it was overwhelmed by the public's embracing it.

i love classical music more than anyone i know personally! but i'm no sooner going to thank apple records for beatles' tunes....

Think again on the idea that the Church was against knowlege and science. After the fall of the Roman Empire Europe had lost a lot. Many things were preserved by monasteries.The church funded pratical science, especially if it could help religion, like designing good clocks to mark the time for services.

Greek philosophers were copied and studied.

At the same time it also destoyed a lot of knowlege and culture by baptising pagans with force.

And the art and architecture made for the Church is simply great. Those in the middle ages spend most of their money on war and didn't need art to persuede people they were 'good' and need to be supported. They basically owned people in those days.

They also started the Crusades into spain and the Near East wich indeed brought a lot of bloodshed and were 'bad' in many ways but the knowlege brought back from the Arabs, the Moors and theGreeks had a great infuence on Europe. For us that turned out to be good.

Seriously think about it, until about 500-600 years ago China and Japan were better technologicaly and culturally than Europe in almost everyway, to me that says thier religions were doing something better than the christian church was.

You can't blame things like tha on religion. In the 600ds Islam started conquering Arabia and north Africa. They also were better than Europe in many ways...Doesn't really mean their religion is that good.

• 3 weeks later...

I admit that in general, Eastern religion has fostered a lot more progress than the Western varieties. The Buddha (of whom I am a follower) actually told his followers to never take anything he said for granted; to test it and debate it first before choosing to accept it (or choosing not to). Hinduism and later Buddhism developed the idea of reverence and welfare for animals. Confucianism, while not exactly a religion, stressed the important of a just and benevolent ruler (rather than the "appointed-by-God-so-I-can-do-anything-I-damn-well-please" European variety).