Goodbye Jesus

Great Quotes Thread

mcdaddy

Unconditional love is a characteristic of the Christian faith, such as that demonstrated by God in the form of a place of eternal torture for the unsaved.

Anonymous

• Like 7

"Freedom is not simply to break your own chains but break those of others." - Nelson Mendela

• Like 1

Unconditional love is a characteristic of the Christian faith, such as that demonstrated by God in the form of a place of eternal torture for the unsaved.

Anonymous

God loves you right to hell. :-)

• Like 1

"The assertion that formalizations suffice in the exression of Natural Law, and hence, that causal entailment is to be reflected entirely in algorithms, is a form of Church's Thesis . . . If it were true, the consequences that follow from its truth would clearly have the most staggering implications for all aspects of human thought. For good or ill, it is not true, not even in mathematics itself." - Robert Rosen, Life Itself

On framing the question "what is life?" and finding answers:

It may be that the problem is difficult because we do not know enough, but I find it equally likely that we do not yet properly understand what we already know." -Robert Rosen, Life Itself

...being rich ain't what it's cracked up to be. It's just worry and worry, and sweat and sweat, and a-wishing you was dead all the time.- The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

The offspring of riches: Pride, vanity, ostentation, arrogance, tyranny. - Mark Twain, a Biography

If all men were rich, all men would be poor. - Mark Twain's Notebook

It is good to begin life poor; it is good to begin life rich -- these are wholesome; but to begin it prospectively rich! The man who has not experienced it cannot imagine the curse of it. - Autobiography of Mark Twain, (University of California Press, 2010)

It is easier for a needle to go through a camel's eye than for a rich woman to sprain her ancle & keep it out of the papers. - Letter to Carolyn Wells, April 15, 1906

source with cool picture of the author and the letter to Carolyn... http://www.twainquotes.com/Rich.html

Great thread, McD! Saving a bunch of these in my favorites.

Here are a few that I've gathered over the past few months:

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free" - Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

"...it was after I had commanded the babel of clashing voices to hush that I could hear the still, small voice of Reason." - Mangasarian, M. M. (Mangasar Mugurditch), 1859-1943

"The thought of another life often impoverishes the life we now possess. Pining for the far away tomorrow, we lose the joy at our doors." - Mangasarian, M. M. (Mangasar Mugurditch), 1859-1943

"Unless we are willing to be wrong, we can never figure out what is right." - Psychology of Belief (video)

"The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also." - Mark Twain

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice

in the smell of burning goat flesh?

Ron Patterson

Oh that's awesome.

• Super Moderator

‎"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

- Shit My Dad Says

"Fuckin' people."

- Shakes the Clown

• Like 2

A society without religion is like a psychopath without a loaded Uzi.

Anonymous

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it.""

Oscar Wilde

==========================================

"The trust of the innocent is the liar's most useful tool."

Stephen King

====================================================

"Without followers, evil cannot spread."

Spock, Star Trek, the Original Series, "And the Children Shall Lead"

======================================

When his life was ruined, his family killed, his farm destroyed, Job knelt down on the ground and yelled up to the heavens, "Why God? Why me?" and the thundering voice of God answered, "There's just something about you that pisses me off."

Stephen King

• Like 1

"Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain

"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." Mark Twain

"It is not necesssary to understand things in order to argue about them." Caron de Beaumarchais

"The meek shall inherit the earth, but not the mineral rights."J Paul Getty

"As the poet said, 'Only God can make a tree' -- probably because it's so hard to figure out how to get the bark on." Woody Allen

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me." Emo Phillips

"I don't know if God exists, but it would be better for His reputation if He didn't."Jules Renard

And if there was a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence.

Bertrand Russell

There's no reason, in theory, why god's presence couldn't be measured or detected in some objective way. The only reason that believers claim that god can't be objectively detected in this way is because god isn't detected, and so a vast and intricate rationale has to be devised to explain this vast, loving, eternal, all-powerful "something" which is, in every external, objective respect, indistinguishable from nothing. God is no longer an explanation of anything, but has instead become something that would itself need an insurmountable amount of explaining.

Douglas Adams

If a man would follow today, the teachings of the old testament he would be a criminal. If he would strictly follow the teachings of the new, he would be insane.

Robert Ingersoll

Jesus' last words on the cross, "My god, my god, why hast thou forsaken me?" hardly seem like the words of a man who planned it that way. It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure there is something wrong here.

Donald Morgan

“There are no atheists in foxholes” isn’t an argument against atheism, it’s an argument against foxholes.

James Morrow

Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, "yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up must come down. Amen!" If they did that, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.

Dan Barker

The world is so exquisite, with so much love and moral depth, but there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there is little good evidence. Far better, it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.

Carl Sagan

• Like 3

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys." -- PJ O'Rourke, "Parliament of Whores"

"American lack of interest in government is well developed, but American ignorance of government is perfect. Almost everything we know about the workings of Congress, the presidency, the Supreme Court and so forth comes from one high-school civics course and one spring vacation when Dad took the family to Washington, DC." -- ibid

• Like 2

So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence.

Bertrand Russell

• Like 3

During the year that I was losing my christianity my favorite quote was:

"The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation" -- Roger Scruton

This was pretty powerful for me while I was struggling with losing my faith which was pretty hard. Then one day it got to the point where I no longer needed the consolation of imaginary things (well actually it no longer proved consolation), I could then change my title from liberal theist to non-theist.

(I like the ignorance of this one!)

"There is talk of a new astrologer who wants to prove that the earth moves and goes around instead of the sky, the sun, the moon, just as if somebody were moving in a carriage or ship might hold that he was sitting still and at rest while the earth and the trees walked and moved. But that is how things are nowadays: when a man wishes to be clever he must needs invent something special, and the way he does it must needs be the best! The fool wants to turn the whole art of astronomy upside-down. However, as Holy Scripture tells us, so did Joshua bid the sun to stand still and not the earth." -- Martin Luther

• Like 1

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice

Ron Patterson

Do you think he actually gets the ironic paradox implied by that statement?

Naw.....

• Like 1

Ron Patterson

Naw.....

HAHAHA <snort>

Whoops, 'scuse me, but that kind of humor cracks me up.--DRY. :)

Anonymous

Huh. Torture for the unsaved as unconditional love. . . <scratches her forehead> Why does that quote make me think of S & M?

Ooh: KINKY! Spank me baby, and call me a BAD Pagan! smile.png

I thought it was impossible to get turned on by pagan Internet forum talk.

I was badly mistaken!

Schwing!

• Like 1

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in many places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.

Buddha

• Like 2

Ron Patterson

Naw.....

I don't see it.

I thought it was impossible to get turned on by pagan Internet forum talk.

I was badly mistaken!

Schwing!

OH MAN! You're going to be the end of me! Seriously?! I had a mouthful of potato salad when I just read that, and it's now in my LAP! ROTFLMAO!

Potato salad eh? You know what they say about girls that eat potato salad....