Goodbye Jesus

Nyc Mayor Aims To Ban Super Sized Sodas And Sugary Drinks.

Tabula Rasa

Were I a New Yorker, I'd have two words for him: FUCK YOU.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbf_myV9IvA&feature=related

Yes, drinking a lot of sugary soda does contribute to obesity, but it should be the consumer's choice as to what they eat and drink and how much or how little.

I never actually need a super-sized cup...ever.

As horribly embarassed and ashamed I am of my nation for being so disgustingly obese, I can't deny people the right to choose. In a Conureocracy though, where free will doesn't matter, I would be totally on board with this guy though. I wish we could force people to be healthy, but that wouldn't be American.

Just in time! The terrorists were close to winning.

Guest Valk0010

While, I like the idea of making it so people would be healthy. I just see this as impractical. People are going to smoke regardless of the facts, I would think the same about soda.

Nice to know all of NYC's OTHER problems are solved.

• Like 2

While, I like the idea of making it so people would be healthy. I just see this as impractical. People are going to smoke regardless of the facts, I would think the same about soda.

And salt, chocolate, pepper, coffee, beer, sugar, fat, fried food, cooked food, uncooked food, cold food, warm food, air, water, ... everything is bad for you... except paying taxes to the authorities for their salaries so they can come up with more laws of what we can't do.

Didn't Bloomberg already outlaw salt in New York?

It's crazy.

Besides, what is exactly "healthy" living anyway? A long life of misery is better than a short life of happiness?

In my opinion, while this is impractical and draconian I can understand it.

If people want to guzzle sugar until they explode, that's their right.

However, there are severe costs associated with such behavior.

Those cost translate into higher costs for insurance and treatment for the diseases that stem from consuming unhealthy products.

Health care costs are out of control.

Those costs are borne by every taxpayer, there is no free lunch.

Food products are laden with sugar and high fructose corn syrup.

Many people seem to become practically addicted to a daily sugar fix, which is understandable because it's found in so many foods.

It's found in "healthly grains" bread, cereal, tomato based sauces, peanut butter, yogurt, soups, and a host of other canned goods.

The food corporate interests have scores of lobbyists to champion their use of sugar and high fructose corn syrup in any manner that increases profits.

There's a wonderfully symbiotic relationship between "big agra" and "big pharma".

The unhealthy costs get passed on the the rest of us and the nation is full of "junkies" that the drug companies can then "treat" with their products, which of course keeps their profits rolling in.

While I don't applaud this pending law, I do see it as a possible way to expose how sugar addicted this country has become.

• Like 3

While I don't applaud this pending law, I do see it as a possible way to expose how sugar addicted this country has become.

So first it was drugs.

Then it was tobacco.

Then it was salt.

Then it was sugar.

Then it was ...

Guest Valk0010

And salt, chocolate, pepper, coffee, beer, sugar, fat, fried food, cooked food, uncooked food, cold food, warm food, air, water, ... everything is bad for you... except paying taxes to the authorities for their salaries so they can come up with more laws of what we can't do.

Didn't Bloomberg already outlaw salt in New York?

It's crazy.

Besides, what is exactly "healthy" living anyway? A long life of misery is better than a short life of happiness?

You might of misunderstood me. I said I liked the idea. I didn't say I thought the idea could ever ever ever work.

Maybe I'm in the minority here , and maybe because I worked in the health field, but I actually like the idea. Americans have been given the chance, and we blew it. "we" can't say no. Time to tighten the reigns or healthcare for all will be fucked because nobody can be satisfied with 20 ounces. It has to be 60. Sodas are worse than pretty much anything else in existence for your health if overused. I think they're worse than cigarettes if abused.

• Like 2

You might of misunderstood me. I said I liked the idea. I didn't say I thought the idea could ever ever ever work.

Yeah. I misunderstood you.

I don't like the idea because it won't stop here.

Weight gain and obesity are caused by consuming more calories than the body needs – most commonly by eating a diet high in fat and calories, living a sedentary lifestyle, or both.

However, the imbalance between calories consumed and calories burned can also be caused by a number of different

physiological factors

, including genetic and hormonal problems related to deficiencies in internal body functions.

It is important to remember that obesity is not always caused by simple behavioral issues. In fact,

endocrine researchers

are leading exciting new research into the internal mechanisms that control

metabolism

, appetite, and satiety from food.

http://www.obesityinamerica.org/understandingObesity/index.cfm

Sugar is not the only culprit. Lifestyle and wrong choices of all food is wrong.

Ban sugar. Ban fried food. Ban fat food. Ban meat. Ban carbs. Ban starch.

Force people to eat fruits, vegetables, nuts, and berries, and *nothing* else. Then we'll see a change.

Guest Valk0010

Weight gain and obesity are caused by consuming more calories than the body needs – most commonly by eating a diet high in fat and calories, living a sedentary lifestyle, or both.

However, the imbalance between calories consumed and calories burned can also be caused by a number of different

physiological factors

, including genetic and hormonal problems related to deficiencies in internal body functions.

It is important to remember that obesity is not always caused by simple behavioral issues. In fact,

endocrine researchers

metabolism

http://www.obesityin...esity/index.cfm

Sugar is not the only culprit. Lifestyle and wrong choices of all food is wrong.

Force people to eat fruits, vegetables, nuts, and berries, and *nothing* else. Then we'll see a change.

This is the main reason, I thought, well this will never work. Because even if the law did have some effect, people would just find a way around it. Prohibiton doesn't do jack shit.

physiological factors

endocrine researchers

metabolism

This is the main reason, I thought, well this will never work. Because even if the law did have some effect, people would just find a way around it. Prohibiton doesn't do jack shit.

Noone's prohibiting anything. Just saying "don't drink enough to quench the thirst of an adult brachiosaurus".

• Like 1

So first it was drugs.

Then it was tobacco.

Then it was salt.

Then it was sugar.

Then it was ...

Depends on what type of drugs you're talking about.

Drugs are a booming multi-billion dollar business, which is no accident.

Many people must have their "meds" just to get through the day.

At least half of the ads on TV are for drugs.

This is a nation of junkies.

As I wrote earlier, if people want to consume mountains of sugar, salt, or whatever, they can go right ahead but I don't care to help pay the bill for it.

Guest Valk0010

physiological factors

endocrine researchers

metabolism

Noone's prohibiting anything. Just saying "don't drink enough to quench the thirst of an adult brachiosaurus".

Sure, but its makes thing harder. People are going to destroy themselves no matter what the law is.

People wil find ways around it, sure. Education is the most effective thing.

• Like 1

It's not that people "find ways" around it. Sugar isn't the real problem. Sugar is only one component in a much larger problem that comes from overall misconceptions of diet and bad habits.

If you eat more berries and fruit, you will eat more fructose sugar, but you will eat healthier and even lose weight. Why? Because the nutrition density is higher than other foods with sugar. So a "juice" of pure berries and fruit... high sugar, but high nutritional value, might not qualify as bad as "soda." But will Bloomberg care about the difference?

How much in ml (or fl oz) is the amount of "enough to quench the thirst of an adult brachiosaurus"?

Is really 16 oz the same for all people? A 50 lbs child vs a 200 lbs adult? It's just arbitrary, and it's just an example of Bloomberg's power struggle to control people. He's doing this a lot. This is not the first time. He won't stop with this ban.

So why don't they have the same amount of problems in the rest of the world (without bans)?

Guest Valk0010

So why don't they have the same amount of problems in the rest of the world (without bans)?

Vigile actually clued me onto this, and i have found out since, that as best as I can tell he is correct. Though he might not agree with my conclusion.

Food is made, in a more unhealthy way as a general rule in the United States. Also, food like say, doritos, is designed to be addictive. Food is a drug as far as US companies go. And you know how drugs go, if its good, you want more. Us food companies try to create a bunch of food junkies. Its where you get the old canard, a diet soda will make you wanna eat more.

Guest Valk0010

It's not that people "find ways" around it. Sugar isn't the real problem. Sugar is only one component in a much larger problem that comes from overall misconceptions of diet and bad habits.

If you eat more berries and fruit, you will eat more fructose sugar, but you will eat healthier and even lose weight. Why? Because the nutrition density is higher than other foods with sugar. So a "juice" of pure berries and fruit... high sugar, but high nutritional value, might not qualify as bad as "soda." But will Bloomberg care about the difference?

You will get no arguement from me on that.

Better educated would be my guess.

Big deal. People who drink those obscenely large drinks just have to buy multiple of the largest allowed under the new law.

Big deal. People who drink those obscenely large drinks just have to buy multiple of the largest allowed under the new law.

Ha, I was thinking the same thing. What's stopping people from buying and drinking a case of Pepsi? Another law? Or should we limit one can, per person, per day?