Goodbye Jesus

Thinking Of Going To Church Tomorrow

blackpudd1n

Is the outback really that dangerous? We have cougars and bears in the state of Idaho, but as long as you don't bother them, they don't bother you.

I sure as hell wouldn't want to soak myself in urine just to go camping.

Another American falls victim to the Australian Drop Bear tongue.png

You forget, Americans love guns and tend to be tottin' Good thing you guys have your gun laws. You probably keep some of the less savory Americans away. smile.png

Ugh, we get enough of them, trust me. There's only so many times you can be asked about riding a kangaroo before you do start perpetuating bullshit like drop bears.

Riding? That's a new one on me.

Americans abroad can be real characters. A lady from Texas once told my Italian friend who helpfully gave her directions "you really need to work on your English."

Americans abroad can be real characters. A lady from Texas once told my Italian friend who helpfully gave her directions "you really need to work on your English."

I read what you wrote to my wife and we both sat there with our mouths opened, speechless. The arrogance of the American tourist will never cease to amaze me.

hahahahaha I hope your mate told her that she needed to work on her Italian tongue.png

EDIT to add: on of the guys on my partner's teamspeak thingy reckons he can't understand me and needs an interpreter just for my accent!

Working in the city you get a lot of tourists from all over the place, and your fair share of Americans. Americans as customers are pretty good. They'll pay without really trying to bargain or look around for better deals. If it sounds fair they'll cough up. They also tip, and tip well. Oh, and they're very polite and understanding which is quite surprising to be honest. Thought they'd all feel entitled and shit, but surprisingly different. Americans are by far the best customers, followed distantly by Aussies.

Americans that you meet in day to day life though, they can be tiresome but they're mostly alright. The thing that bothers me about most Americans is their combined ignorance and arrogance. They know fuck all about the rest of the world, but what they do know is the US is fucking awesome. It gets a bit much when they won't STFU about the US for a single goddamn minute while cutting down everyone else.

• Like 1

I used to do scrapbooking with an American woman and she creeped me the fuck out! She came from Kansas, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it, but I found the whole perfect housewife thing a bit much to take. Any time I saw her, especially if I was at her house, I just wanted to run for my fucking life. She was too sweet, too nice, too perfect, her house was too spotless, and she just gave me the heebee-jeebees!

I read what you wrote to my wife and we both sat there with our mouths opened, speechless. The arrogance of the American tourist will never cease to amaze me.

It's even worse than I wrote it. He lives in the village of Biella (where this took place), a town of 20k-30k about an hour's drive from Milan. Most people there don't speak English and his English was better than most Italians I know.

hahahahaha I hope your mate told her that she needed to work on her Italian tongue.png

EDIT to add: on of the guys on my partner's teamspeak thingy reckons he can't understand me and needs an interpreter just for my accent!

No, he's too cool to get ruffled over something like this. He thought it was funny.

I, oth, am less patient. When I was living in the State of Virginia (inside the DC Beltway -- that's the inner Washington metro circle) I stood behind an old school Virginia lady who went off on the cashier at the pharmacy telling her "you live in America, learn to speak English!" I was pissed and when I saw her out in the parking lot I asked her how many languages she speaks because the girl she just yelled at speaks at least two.

Just so you know, on a given city block in DC you can easily meet people from 100 given countries at virtually any given time. You would think someone who lives in that area would be a bit more understanding of the difficulties immigrants have learning a second language and adapting to a new culture.

Americans that you meet in day to day life though, they can be tiresome but they're mostly alright. The thing that bothers me about most Americans is their combined ignorance and arrogance. They know fuck all about the rest of the world, but what they do know is the US is fucking awesome. It gets a bit much when they won't STFU about the US for a single goddamn minute while cutting down everyone else.

This is a good part of why I never readjusted to life in the US after living abroad the first time and why I doubt I'll move back unless I have to.

I used to do scrapbooking with an American woman and she creeped me the fuck out! She came from Kansas, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it, but I found the whole perfect housewife thing a bit much to take. Any time I saw her, especially if I was at her house, I just wanted to run for my fucking life. She was too sweet, too nice, too perfect, her house was too spotless, and she just gave me the heebee-jeebees!

Sounds like my mom. Hopefully she wouldn't give you the heebee-jeebees though. I think she's a real sweetheart.

That is a typical midwest attitude. Very much the 50's housewife type of behavior. And even more so if she came from a small town or rural area. And yes, it can be very scary and unsetteling at times. You just wonder about all the hidden rage inside, when is she going to pull out the butcher knife and carve me up??? Sometimes it reminds me of the movie Serial Mom.

Here in the US we have this terrible little creature called a Jackalope. Just a really nasty beast.

jackalope.jpg

We are actually raised to be informed about the US only. Our history centers on America 98% of the time and we are not taught much about the rest of the world except for geography. We are also brainwashed to believe that the US is the best place on earth. And because of our freedoms we are expected to be an entitled nation. We are culturally all connected to the TV and that feeds the stupidity that grows everyday in this nation. This is one reason that religion is able to key into the sheep mentality here.

There has been a growing number of people that have been growing away from this model. We have decided that TV is entertainment and not a guru to follow every word spoken and we don't have to sit in front of it and worship it every day for hours on end. The real god in America is television, no religion comes close to this.

And many people are chosing to learn the actual facts about the rest of the world, learn from other cultures and adopt a saner form of existence. Americans are conditioned that we must consume everything in HUGE quantities, we must own everything that comes out on the market, we must follow every trend. Failure to do these things means that you are an outsider who should be hated and ridiculed. But that is just a way to keep you in the financial game. You must spend money on junk that you don't need because some guy still needs to get rich. Meanwhile you end up working to death, buying clutter, living in a home that is priced way beyond your means.

I have been thinking I might leave this place. I've considered it for years. The politics in this country alone can make you want to leave.

That is a typical midwest attitude. Very much the 50's housewife type of behavior. And even more so if she came from a small town or rural area. And yes, it can be very scary and unsetteling at times. You just wonder about all the hidden rage inside, when is she going to pull out the butcher knife and carve me up??? Sometimes it reminds me of the movie Serial Mom.

Here in the US we have this terrible little creature called a Jackalope. Just a really nasty beast.

jackalope.jpg

lol photoshop for the win!

yeah, I kind of did wonder when she was going to kill me. She scared the shit out of me.

Guest Valk0010

Talking about ignorant americans. I had a vietamese foreign exchange student in a history class in high school. And we were talking about the civil rights movement. Now I still to this day know next to nothing about vietnam outside of the vietnam war. So I asked this girl, "Do you have anything like this going on in vietnam?" Now I was just asking because I was just curious about her culture and thought it would be a interesting addition to the class. The teacher got what I was doing. Everybody else in the class, that I was being rude and being a racist/bigot for asking. I later came to find out, that there is a lot of anti catholic sentiment in Vietnam. But it was amazing. I wanted to learn about another nation's society and i get labelled a bigot and a racist.

jackalope.jpg

lol photoshop for the win!

yeah, I kind of did wonder when she was going to kill me. She scared the shit out of me.

Photoshop hell. I can take you to bars all over rural Idaho and Nevada that have these suckers stuffed and on display. ;)

And just so the Americans aren't unfairly portrayed, they have nothing on the ignorance that resides amongst your typical Russian babushka. There are plenty of smart and educated ones, but they are in the minority. Most of them think cancer can be cured with herbs and are convinced the Jews conspire against mother Russia and have probably infiltrated it.

Then you have Thailand, which has the nicest people in the world, but where your average man on the street is so superstitious it'll make your head spin.

Ignorance is relative.

Guest Valk0010

and are convinced the Jews conspire against mother Russia and have probably infiltrated it.

I am not usually for burning books, but if we could burn all the copies of, the protocols of the elders of zion, I would be a happy man.

I wanted to learn about another nation's society and i get labelled a bigot and a racist.

I find that people really love to jump on others and assume the worst so there is drama. People don't stop and listen much anymore. I think people who like to learn are people who tend to live in the present. People who like drama just assume things and that's why they pull that crap.

Photoshop hell. I can take you to bars all over rural Idaho and Nevada that have these suckers stuffed and on display. wink.png

My dad used to have a stuffed one on our wall. When he passed on I was so happy to get rid of it. They are all over in the NW in the US. The stuffed ones look much better than the photoshopped ones. Taxidermy is an art in this country.

Ignorance is relative.

It's true.

I just get more annoyed by the stupidity of Americans because we allegedly live in the "best" country in the world.