Goodbye Jesus

Logical Fallacies And Biases

blackpudd1n

And it's done. Signed up for the critical thinking unit. The sociology unit won't be available again until next year, so I'll just do the unit I was going to do after the sociology one until they get the unit schedule up for next year and then I'll do sociology as soon as I can (don't want them to change the edition of the textbook on me after I've already bought it!)

The next unit has no required textbook, but has two recommended texts, so I'm going to grab them, as I think they'll be good references in the long run.

EDIT to add: Found one of the reference books for $20 cheaper at the Book Depository. The other one is $15 more expensive, so I'll see if I can find it elsewhere.

EDITED again to add: Was looking at $130 for both textbooks from Unibooks. Got one for $31, the other for $20, from the Book Depository and Fish Pond. FUCK YEAH!

Guest Valk0010

And sometimes an asshole is just an asshole is just an asshole smile.png I remember when I first came to ex-c every time someone said something someone would jump down their throat on the whole logical fallacy thing, almost as though no one is allowed to argue the way they like, but has to follow some absurd set of rules set down by those "who know better".

People were like "you can't say that", to which I replied, "wanna bet"?

I still think the whole premise is fucking hilarious smile.png

Well I have grown the accept, that truth is a free for it all in your word. But, I still like you.

Logical fallacies is another way of saying, lines of thought that are proven ineffective.

And sometimes an asshole is just an asshole is just an asshole smile.png I remember when I first came to ex-c every time someone said something someone would jump down their throat on the whole logical fallacy thing, almost as though no one is allowed to argue the way they like, but has to follow some absurd set of rules set down by those "who know better".

People were like "you can't say that", to which I replied, "wanna bet"?

I still think the whole premise is fucking hilarious smile.png

Well I have grown the accept, that truth is a free for it all in your word. But, I still like you.

Logical fallacies is another way of saying, lines of thought that are proven ineffective.

Ah but in my world the truth is not what someone else tells me it is :) Be good or will sneak in and set fire to your strawman while you are sleeping ukliam2.gif

I am so glad you started this thread Pudd. It's helping me too. I want to understand these things myself, so that when I am hearing/reading a bad argument I can explain exactly why it is bad.

What I don't get is - why don't they teach us logic at a really young age? Wouldn't we all be better students of every subject if we got this stuff under our belt before we even go to college?

I'm wondering the same thing myself, DeanMen. I'd never even heard of logical fallacies until I deconverted. And yet we spend years writing essays with no way of actually knowing if the argument is sound. Wouldn't it be so much easier to write essays if you understood the rules of logical fallacies?

The answer is yes! I have a BA and an MA and I feel woefully under-educated. I think I need to go up to the local CC and audit an intro to philosophy class and logic class. I feel like I don't even have the skills to learn this on my own. I've always been a critical thinker and a questioner, but I'd like to understand the formal rules of logic, so that I am also making sound arguments when I am discussing a topic.

Even at my seminary they taught Systematic Theology without teaching Philosophy first, which is total bullshit, because why should we be reading a rip-off of Calvinist theology without first understanding the Greeks, Augustine & Aquinas? It's moronic.

Pudd,

I think you may like this article,

How to Determine If A Controversial Statement Is Scientifically True:

http://lifehacker.co...ntifically-true

It's not about logical fallacies, but it discusses confirmation bias & good ways to weed through crappy science.

d

Thanks for the article, DeanMen, I just finished reading it. I think it was quite good, really working over how to spot confirmation biases.

My mum sent me an email recently, that seems to be going around. It claimed that if you got mugged at an ATM, to put your PIN in backwards and not only would the money still be spat out, but an alarm would be triggered at the police station and the cops would come. And just for added authenticity, this little tidbit was recently broadcast by CrimeStoppers.

I couldn't believe it when I saw how many people mum sent that email to. The email was not an official email released by the police, had no contact details for verifying it, and not only that, could potentially put someone's life in danger if they were being mugged at an ATM.

If you liked that you will love this, it's the link that was in the first article: http://youarenotsosmart.com/2010/06/23/confirmation-bias/

This is my new favorite blog now, I got sucked down the rabbit trail reading it last night. The article on the Benjamin Franklin affect is really good too: http://youarenotsosmart.com/2011/10/05/the-benjamin-franklin-effect/

My aunt sends me like 3 emails a day like that!!! I finally just put her in my spam folder after she ignored my pleas to remove me from her mass email list. I love my aunt, I don't want to be confronted by how stupid she is to fwd this crap.

• Like 1

Even at my seminary they taught Systematic Theology without teaching Philosophy first, which is total bullshit, because why should we be reading a rip-off of Calvinist theology without first understanding the Greeks, Augustine & Aquinas? It's moronic.

You obtained a master's without taking Philosophy 101....and without studying Augustine and the early church fathers?! What has become of higher education?! Philosophy was a requirement for my bachelor's...

You obtained a master's without taking Philosophy 101....and without studying Augustine and the early church fathers?! What has become of higher education?! Philosophy was a requirement for my bachelor's...

Exactly! I still dream I didn't really earn my degree, and I'm waiting for them to find out I am a full-blown heathen and take it away from me. I did study some of that at my undergrad.

Fortunately, I had some smart professors and a couple critical thinking friends, so a lot of the real learning happened outside class. We had a group we called the Friday night heretics club, where we'd drink beer and talk about all the shit we wouldn't bring up in front of the brain dead true believers in our classroom. My systematic's professor was a really nice guy, he studied under Tillich and met Karl Barth - but we used his text which was really, really watered down and biased. Plus, systematic theology is such BULLSHIT. I thought that when I was taking the classes, it's all made up nonsense that they call the truth. It really chaps my ass.

Most over used phrase, by me, on ex-C: that really chaps my ass. You'd think my whole ass is chapped!

• Like 1

Most over used phrase, by me, on ex-C: that really chaps my ass. You'd think my whole ass is chapped!

Have you tried a zinc oxide ointment?

• Like 1

Boudreaux's Butt Paste. Best stuff ever.

• Like 1

Boudreaux's Butt Paste. Best stuff ever.

Now I KNOW you're a dad. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

• Like 1