Goodbye Jesus

Ordained Atheist Minister

London

This thread was inspired by a conversation on sjessen's status updates. I thought this was a really interesting subject.

The First Church of Atheism claims it's free and legal in the USA. Read here: http://firstchurchofatheism.com/

I have never wanted to be a "clergy" person but the idea of replacing them with non-believers at weddings and funerals intrigues me.

Has anyone here registered and actually been legally recognized as an atheist minister?

• Like 3

Reminds me of Jedi ministers and all that jazz, totally up for it :) Half tempted to get one :P

Totally off topic, but I have to ask: what's with the expiry date in your sig? I noticed you've changed the date at least once so far :)

Guest wester

Orson Scott Card's SECULAR HUMANIST REVIVAL MEETING circa 1980s:

www.radio4all.net/files/lordcyclohexane@yahoo.com/3959-1-BSTF_917_-_Orson_Scott_Cards_SECULAR_HUMANIST_REVIVAL_MEETING.mp3

not exactly atheist, but a Secular Humanist Evangelist is good enough fer me.

:-) hehehehe

Reminds me of Jedi ministers and all that jazz, totally up for it smile.png Half tempted to get one tongue.png

Totally off topic, but I have to ask: what's with the expiry date in your sig? I noticed you've changed the date at least once so far smile.png

I think I had a typo in my sig, but it is the end of the world date, at least for THIS year LOL.

I also found ULC http://www.ulc.org/ , and they do it as well but are not specifically atheist. Quite interesting.

I know the ULC accepts atheists to their congregations.

I have never wanted to be a "clergy" person but the idea of replacing them with non-believers at weddings and funerals intrigues me.

There's a humanist group that offers certification (including, I think, the legal stuffs you need for weddings) for "celebrants". They like that word better than "clergy", and I do like the connotations that they're just a human MCing for a party celebrating a life event, and not a middle man to connect with the divine.

http://humanist-society.org/become-a-celebrant/

• Like 1

I saw that about the Humanists, but they require you to be a member for a year in order to become a celebrant. Something like $45.00 a year. Still, it's another alternative to abrahamic clergy. I'd pick a Celebrant over an actual priest any day.

I find it quite interesting that becoming a "minister" in any of these options gets you a press pass, preferred parking, allows you access to "clergy" only areas of hospitals and various agencies as well as the ability to legally wed, baptize (if you so choose), perform death rites, etc.

It could be a very useful thing to do. I am still intrigued.

I just signed up!! And I got this report: ''Hello Reverend,Thanks for becoming ordained!'' Wendytwitch.gif

I think...I think..... I'm an ordained atheist minister.....Wendytwitch.gifeek.gif

I gotta go play on that site now.....My name is the same..I used Margee.

They are calling me Reverend Margee!!! Wendytwitch.gif

Anybody wanna' get married today on EX-c? smiliegojerkit.gif Reverend Margee makes weddings fun!!

All who want funerals performed by me...send me a P.M! We will celebrate your life for you!!

I charge $100.00 for my services!! woohoo.gif

• Like 9

On 6/21/2012 at 8:26 AM, Margee said:

I just signed up!! And I got this report: ''Hello Reverend,Thanks for becoming ordained!'' Wendytwitch.gif

I think...I think..... I'm an ordained atheist minister.....Wendytwitch.gifeek.gif

I gotta go play on that site now.....My name is the same..I used Margee.

They are calling me Reverend Margee!!! Wendytwitch.gif

Anybody wanna' get married today on EX-c? smiliegojerkit.gif I charge $100.00 for my services!! woohoo.gif

Here's where I am now listed in the directory, if a non-believer wants me to perform a wedding or funeral. All I need is a lawyer to draw me up a document. I can create any type of service that non-believers would want!! They have a support group there for this!! I really am a minister...just like that!! yellow.gif

Rev. Margee

Congratulations, Reverend Margee!

I would almost consider becoming a UU or an atheist minister, just so I could say to my father in-law one day:

"Guess what? I'm a minister, too. It says so right here on this card. And you know what? My credentials are just as meaningful as your credentials."

But that would be mean.

EDIT: I just looked up how to become a UU minister on their web site, and it looks like they're actually pretty serious, requiring actual theology education. Nevermind.

• Like 1

Margee,

You can't consider yourself a REAL reverend until you have your first fundraising bake sale.

• Like 4

Margee,

You can't consider yourself a REAL reverend until you have your first fundraising bake sale.

I need a lawyer and some on here to help me with the bake sale!! Let the advertisements begin!!

Nova Scotia has it's first atheist minister!! yellow.gif

• Super Moderator

Margee, be sure to get a CLERGY placard for your dashboard so you can park in the premium spots at hospitals and funeral homes.

- Rev. Chris, DD, Universal Life Church

• Like 2

Margee, be sure to get a CLERGY placard for your dashboard so you can park in the premium spots at hospitals and funeral homes.

- Rev. Chris, DD, Universal Life Church

in hysterics again...........lmao_99.gif

And please... start to address me as 'Reverend Margee' vent.gif It shows respect.......smiliegojerkit.gif

My Dear Reverend Margee, do you hear confessions and can you tell us about some of the juicier ones (leaving names out, of course)? Is the tithing rate for your atheist "church" less than 10% (and is the percentage figured before or after taxes)? Do you have an atheist equivalent to baptisms (I assume it's some form of group nude swimming)? Do you have a "holy" text? If not, may I recommend this one (it's free)?

http://www.amazon.co...heist manifesto

Have you decided on appropriate iconography to replace crosses and such? Maybe this one of the flying spaghetti monster. It would also make great stained glass for your atheist church:

4568069317_b652e295911.jpg

• Like 2

I like the idea of "ordained" atheist ministers, whatever that means. But am I the only one who hates to word reverend? It's so obnoxious, to label yourself the revered one. I've been thinking about this lately, all these people that are god's people and speak for god - they are all self appointed - they lift themselves up and the sheep follow.

This isn't directed at you Margee, because you know I love you more than my luggage.

• Like 4

Reverend Margee makes weddings fun!!

Oh, I have read about what you do at weddings. Nothing I would consider reverent smile.png Besides, you're my goddess, so becoming a Reverend is a step backwards.

• Like 1

My Dear Reverend Margee, do you hear confessions and can you tell us about some of the juicier ones (leaving names out, of course)? Is the tithing rate for your atheist "church" less than 10% (and is the percentage figured before or after taxes)? Do you have an atheist equivalent to baptisms (I assume it's some form of group nude swimming)? Do you have a "holy" text? If not, may I recommend this one (it's free)?

http://www.amazon.co...heist manifesto

Have you decided on appropriate iconography to replace crosses and such? Maybe this one of the flying spaghetti monster. It would also make great stained glass for your atheist church:

I am laughing soooooo friggin' hard!! you crazy nut!

I needed this laugh today!! Did you want me to bury you Overcame?

Wait Reverend Margee! Your next post will be number 3333, got to make it special!

*edit:* Shit, too late.

I like the idea of "ordained" atheist ministers, whatever that means. But am I the only one who hates to word reverend? It's so obnoxious, to label yourself the revered one. I've been thinking about this lately, all these people that are god's people and speak for god - they are all self appointed - they lift themselves up and the sheep follow.

This isn't directed at you Margee, because you know I love you more than my luggage.

Reverends are not usually self-appointed. The elders usually ordain them when God tells them that they are ready. Getting a Masters or Doctorate of Divinity does not necessarily result in ordination.

Sweet jeeeeuuusss...is this a compliment???? If it's not.....did you want me to perform your funeral today?? happydance.gif

I am a 'Reverend' Dean and I am to be lifted up!! woohoo.gif Show a little respect around here!!!

Did you want me to bury you Overcame?

Not anytime soon!!

• Like 2

Reverend Margee makes weddings fun!!

Oh, I have read about what you do at weddings. Nothing I would consider reverent smile.png Besides, you're my goddess, so becoming a Reverend is a step backwards.

Deny...you always remember to bow down to me when you see me!!

This is how a Reverend and a goddess should be treated!!!smiliegojerkit.gif

A flying spaghetti stained glass window? I don't laugh often, but now I am. GONZ9729CustomImage1541245.gif

• Like 1

A number of years ago, my wife remarked that she noticed that I didn't use the title "Pastor" when I talked about pastors from my previous churches. I hadn't really noticed that, but she was probably right. It must have been a subconscious thing for me.

Why would I call someone "Pastor Soandso" anyway? I don't call my boss "Vice President Bill." I don't call the part-owner of the company "Partner Bob." They're just "Bill" or "Bob." I certainly don't expect anyone who works for me to call me "Manager Mynamehere" instead of just calling me by my regular name. Pastors don't have any authority over me. They can't tell me what to do. The Bible doesn't even give them any real authority. So why should I call them "Pastor Soandso" or "Reverend Soandso?" The only time I'll use "Pastor Soandso" is if there happens to be another member of the congregation with the same name, and I need to differentiate between the two.

• Like 1