Goodbye Jesus

Ordained Atheist Minister

London

A number of years ago, my wife remarked that she noticed that I didn't use the title "Pastor" when I talked about pastors from my previous churches. I hadn't really noticed that, but she was probably right. It must have been a subconscious thing for me.

Why would I call someone "Pastor Soandso" anyway? I don't call my boss "Vice President Bill." I don't call the part-owner of the company "Partner Bob." They're just "Bill" or "Bob." I certainly don't expect anyone who works for me to call me "Manager Mynamehere" instead of just calling me by my regular name. Pastors don't have any authority over me. They can't tell me what to do. The Bible doesn't even give them any real authority. So why should I call them "Pastor Soandso" or "Reverend Soandso?" The only time I'll use "Pastor Soandso" is if there happens to be another member of the congregation with the same name, and I need to differentiate between the two.

I very much agree. But I wonder, why then do we insist our children call us daddy and not by our real name?

I've never called anybody "Pastor" or "Reverend" either. I went along with "Brother" Bill, but never "Father" or anything like that.

We jokingly called eachother "Reverend" in college, but please...

I very much agree. But I wonder, why then do we insist our children call us daddy and not by our real name?

That's a good question. I suspect the answer may be something like "it's cultural" and "we've just always done it that way." It may also be that "Mommy" and "Daddy" are easier for a small child to say than the actual parents' names a lot of the time.

EDIT: We learned pretty early on as kids that if we were in a situation where we were with a lot of other kids and their parents in the same place, ifd we wanted to get our parents' attention, we had to call them by their first names. Otherwise, if we called them "Mommy" or "Mom," it would get lost in the background noise, because the parents wouldn't listen closely enough to hear if it was their child calling them.

That's a good question. I suspect the answer may be something like "it's cultural" and "we've just always done it that way." It may also be that "Mommy" and "Daddy" are easier for a small child to say than the actual parents' names a lot of the time.

I would also associate those terms with loyalty and affection from both sides--same with "son" and "daughter."

I'm sure there is a cultural aspect to it. But, interestingly, one of the most popular American novels of all time, "To Kill a Mockingbird", had the two children, Jem and Scout, calling their father by his first name, Atticus.

Personally, I look at it in a slightly different way. To me it shows a close relationship between parents and children because the children are the only ones who can show that close and important relationship by calling their parents Mom (Mommy) or Dad (Daddy). I think it helps to seal that close bond (at least ideally it is a close bond).

Reverend Margee makes weddings fun!!

Oh, I have read about what you do at weddings. Nothing I would consider reverent smile.png Besides, you're my goddess, so becoming a Reverend is a step backwards.

Deny...you always remember to bow down to me when you see me!!

This is how a Reverend and a goddess should be treated!!!smiliegojerkit.gif

Oh I am bowing all right (over the toilet bowl).

Any planned meetings with his holiness the pope?

• Super Moderator

If we are being formal, you should call me Doctor. Otherwise, Reverend will do. Some are happy just calling me Asshole. Whatever.

Since I'm actually in a religion with clergy, both ordained and lay, it's simply a way of showing respect, for me. I usually use the titles when they are functioning as clergy for me, however. "Reverend" is accepted, but in Kemetic Orthodoxy, we also have our own terminology. But why wouldn't we, since people think of a "reverend" being Christian, and we're not. But some people are more comfortable saying "Reverend Tamara" rather than "Hekatawy I, Ankh Udjat Seneb!" And the full liturgical name is omg long.

Though mostly, we shorten it to "Hemet (AUS)" - and while it carries the meaning of "her/his majesty", interestingly enough, means literally "servant."

I like the idea of "ordained" atheist ministers, whatever that means. But am I the only one who hates to word reverend? It's so obnoxious, to label yourself the revered one. I've been thinking about this lately, all these people that are god's people and speak for god - they are all self appointed - they lift themselves up and the sheep follow.

This isn't directed at you Margee, because you know I love you more than my luggage.

Reverends are not usually self-appointed. The elders usually ordain them when God tells them that they are ready. Getting a Masters or Doctorate of Divinity does not necessarily result in ordination.

I was thinking more of charismatic churches where the ministers don't even have much of a true education. But also, if you are going to a bible college, seminary or volunteering for ministry - you are essentially saying, god called me to do this - which is the same as appointing yourself in my book.

When I was in seminary I had a goal of never being in ministry. I was probably the only person there that didn't label myself a minister.

• Like 1

Personally, I look at it in a slightly different way. To me it shows a close relationship between parents and children because the children are the only ones who can show that close and important relationship by calling their parents Mom (Mommy) or Dad (Daddy). I think it helps to seal that close bond (at least ideally it is a close bond).

I disagree. I didn't like my father, had no close bond with him, still had to call him Dad, he would have punched me in the face had I called him by his first name. I think we insist our kids call us by our titles because it makes us feel superior, that we have authority over them, just like Reverend.

This isn't directed at you Margee, because you know I love you more than my luggage.

Seet jeeeeuuusss...is this a compliment???? If it's not.....did you want me to perform your funeral today?? happydance.gif

I am a 'Reverend' Dean and I am to be lifted up!! woohoo.gif Show a little respect around here!!!

Anytime a woman or a man quote Steel Magnolias - it's a compliment!!

You're an Irreverend, and so am I.

• Like 1

Reverend Margee makes weddings fun!!

Oh, I have read about what you do at weddings. Nothing I would consider reverent smile.png Besides, you're my goddess, so becoming a Reverend is a step backwards.

Deny...you always remember to bow down to me when you see me!!

This is how a Reverend and a goddess should be treated!!!smiliegojerkit.gif

Oh I am bowing all right (over the toilet bowl).

Any planned meetings with his holiness the pope?

First Dean told me she loved me more than luggage and now you are throwing up in the toilet.... My day is going downhill...Wendyshrug.gif

I know, I know...Margee needs to be knocked down from her pedistal......woohoo.gif

• Like 1

If we are being formal, you should call me Doctor. Otherwise, Reverend will do. Some are happy just calling me Asshole. Whatever.

Why don't we just all pick our own titles? I wanna be Princess Fancy Pants.

• Like 3

Respect? So then why doesn't HE call YOU by your (self appointed) title? Doesn't he respect you?

If the respect goes only one way then it's not respect, it's playing "pretend I am superior", or it's fear.

I can call the Pope his holiness all I want, it will never make me respect him more. It's a lie. For me anyway.

I think I'd prefer to call you Irreverent Margee rather than Reverend Margee!!

P.S.- You keep that hair disaster between us! It's protected by confessional whatever-the-hell-it's-called!

• Like 1

First Dean told me she loved me more than luggage and now you are throwing up in the toilet.... My day is going downhill...

Just kidding Margee, I mean Reverend Margee, you know I adore you. Cryotanknotworthy.gif

I think I'd prefer to call you Irreverent Margee rather than Reverend Margee!!

P.S.- You keep that hair disaster between us! It's protected by confessional whatever-the-hell-it's-called!

you better smartin' up and treat me real good or I'll tell everyone on Ex-c about your dry, bright red hair........smiliegojerkit.gif

I'm such a failure as a 'reverend'....... rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Why don't we just all pick our own titles? I wanna be Princess Fancy Pants.

LOL, I'm Prince Prick.

Margee,

Can I please see your credentials? I want to make sure you have at least a $500.00 doctorate from an athiest seminary accredited by BSI (Bogus Schools International)

• Like 2

But am I the only one who hates to word reverend? It's so obnoxious,

Agree. In the UK a Reverend is also know as a Rector. That is closer to the truth :D

• Like 1

I'm not Ordained, or an Atheist, or a minister, but if I could join in. I could don my wifes dressing gown and hand out ritz crackers and grape juice. :D

• Like 3

it's simply a way of showing respect, for me.

Respect? So then why doesn't HE call YOU by your (self appointed) title? Doesn't he respect you?

If the respect goes only one way then it's not respect, it's playing "pretend I am superior", or it's fear.

I can call the Pope his holiness all I want, it will never make me respect him more. It's a lie. For me anyway.

Tamara Siuda is a woman. I respect her as a teacher. I don't need your permission, and she's not pretending anything. She's educated and kind, and respects all people.

And she does call me Qefathethert, which is my "title." Qefat for short. It's not self-appointed, but since you're just looking to be angry, I won't bother to explain to you.

ETA: She has also said to EVERYONE who talks with her, Kemetic Orthodox or not, she's perfectly ok, and in most cases prefers, to be called "Tamara." I've never ever known her to demand to be called by her title. It would be better for you not to assume shit about people because they're theists. Makes you look like a dick.

Reverend Margee: please consider the revised lord's prayer below for your services:

Our father, which ain't in heaven, I couldn't care less about your name.

Thy kingdom come, I'd be surprised, cause for now we're stuck on earth and not in heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread (some nice corned beef would be cool, too)

And don't forgive our trespasses, since I shoot trespassers.

For only Reverend Margee has the power and glory forever.

Amen.

• Like 6

Margee! We need to throw you an ordination party!! woohoo.gif

• Like 1

But am I the only one who hates to word reverend? It's so obnoxious,

Agree. In the UK a Reverend is also know as a Rector. That is closer to the truth biggrin.png

Love it! I always think of Mr. Bean from Four Weddings and a Funeral.