Goodbye Jesus

Annoying Christian Thought

antix

"When an imaginary friend takes precedence over any real-live-human -- especially your spouse -- it is definitely time to take a look at yourself and your beliefs."

I totally agree! Our family basically lost my one brother to his church. My dad would go to visit (drive 100 miles to see him which he did not do very often because my brother was "so busy") and my brother would leave and go to a bible class. So wrong! But that's what the Christian faith expects of it's followers according to Jesus.

My aunt and uncle are like that, always some church related thing going on to care about anyone else. Some churches are even cult like in their control over people, There is a church prevalent in alabama, georgia and mississipi called Church of Christ and they make so many demands on their congragations and you are not allowed to question any of the theology at all.

So are you going to back up your claim about gawd's "unconditional love"? Or are we just moving past that point?

"When an imaginary friend takes precedence over any real-live-human -- especially your spouse -- it is definitely time to take a look at yourself and your beliefs."

I totally agree! Our family basically lost my one brother to his church. My dad would go to visit (drive 100 miles to see him which he did not do very often because my brother was "so busy") and my brother would leave and go to a bible class. So wrong! But that's what the Christian faith expects of it's followers according to Jesus.

My aunt and uncle are like that, always some church related thing going on to care about anyone else. Some churches are even cult like in their control over people, There is a church prevalent in alabama, georgia and mississipi called Church of Christ and they make so many demands on their congragations and you are not allowed to question any of the theology at all.

So are you going to back up your claim about gawd's "unconditional love"? Or are we just moving past that point?

They (most christians) need to actually read the bible, but the fact is most listen to some pastor. Most churches, especially the mega churches are not really houses of worship but more celebrity worship with the head pastor as the hollywood hero.

They (most christians) need to actually read the bible, but the fact is most listen to some pastor. Most churches, especially the mega churches are not really houses of worship but more celebrity worship with the head pastor as the hollywood hero.

That doesn't really address my point. Here's what I was referring to:

I just read a post on another sub board about the lady whose dad is becoming a pastor: That is what I am talking about. making his daughter move out because her beliefs are not the same as his. Maybe that guy needs to read about God's unconditional love. When your beliefs supercede family and friends, you need to seriously step back and take a look at yourself.

Now I and others have pointed out that according to both the text of the bible AND standard christian theology, gawd's love is NOT unconditional at all.

What say you about that?

I just read a post on another sub board about the lady whose dad is becoming a pastor: That is what I am talking about. making his daughter move out because her beliefs are not the same as his. Maybe that guy needs to read about God's unconditional love. When your beliefs supercede family and friends, you need to seriously step back and take a look at yourself.

Now I and others have pointed out that according to both the text of the bible AND standard christian theology, gawd's love is NOT unconditional at all.

What say you about that?

Let me think about that one for awhile and get back to you.

What say you about that?

Ok. Be sure and quote me so I get one of those notifications. Otherwise I might miss your reply.

Rank Stranger, I was referring to certain churches having demands, not God.

Rank Stranger, I was referring to certain churches having demands, not God.

Huh?

No- here's what you said:

I and others are taking issue with your claim that gawd's love is unconditional.

As I and others have pointed out (and you seem to be intentionally ignoring), neither the bible nor standard christian theology support the notion of 'god' having unconditional love.

The Bible says salvation is open to everybody, no matter what. That is what I mean by unconditional love and as for the lady whose dad is becoming a pastor, I meant the same thing: it is his daughter, you do not throw her out of the house due to a religious (or a political) belief

The Bible says salvation is open to everybody, no matter what. That is what I mean by unconditional love and as for the lady whose dad is becoming a pastor, I meant the same thing: it is his daughter, you do not throw her out of the house due to a religious (or a political) belief

Uh, yeah. Salvation is open to everybody.

But if you don't take him up on the offer, or don't believe that he exists- he will torture you for all eternity.

That isn't what I'd call "unconditional love".

I'd say that these nasty, vindictive christians are just reflecting what's in their bible and their religion. Why the hell aren't YOU towing the line? You don't LIKE a 'god' who's mean and vindictive? Who the fuck are YOU to decide what 'god' ought or ought not to be?

What say you about that?

Read: let me find or come up with an insane explanation that, while technically not IMPOSSIBLE, is highly IMPROBABLE. Then when you fail to absolutely prove it wrong 100%, I'll conclude that it must be correct.

That about right? ;)

But if you don't take him up on the offer, or don't believe that he exists- he will torture you for all eternity.

I'd say that these nasty, vindictive christians are just reflecting what's in their bible and their religion. Why the hell aren't YOU towing the line? You don't LIKE a 'god' who's mean and vindictive? Who the fuck are YOU to decide what 'god' ought or ought not to be?

Torture for all etermity, I still want to know what that actually means. Or is it a fear tactic from the rulers at the time to keep the prolitariat under control?

It is DIRECTLY FROM THE BIBLE.

Why do you keep ignoring that??

JESUS PREACHED HELL.

But you act like you don't think it's real? Or politicians created it to use as a tool to keep people in line? Seriously?

Torture for all etermity, I still want to know what that actually means. Or is it a fear tactic from the rulers at the time to keep the prolitariat under control?

You're the christian- you tell me.

Eternal torture is mainstream christian theology.

Now, do you reckon that eternal torture is consistent with "unconditional love"?

Or are you saying that you don't believe in the same sort of eternal torture that most Western christians believe in?

I have no clue. from what I have read the word that hell was translated from could possibly mean the grave. I am not sure.

I there's no hell, what's the point of the crucifixion? You don't need a savin' if there's nothing to be saved FROM.

• Like 1

Guest Valk0010

It seems like the logical absolute of "law of indentity" is lost on anti. If the bible is the word of god, it is either the word of god or it isn't. Either the god of the bible is powerful enough to keep his book in general working order or he isn't.

I dunno I smell guy deconverting (hopefully).

• Like 1

You smell a guy with questions (or you are right next to me and smell curry farts from my indian dinner last night)

I there's no hell, what's the point of the crucifixion? You don't need a savin' if there's nothing to be saved FROM.

That is actually a good point.

I have no clue. from what I have read the word that hell was translated from could possibly mean the grave. I am not sure.

So the vast majority of chistians have believed in some form of hell for the past 2000 years- and you're going to just dismiss it with an "I'm not sure"? Have you ever READ the bible? I have. Do you realize just how much horrible shit is in there?

What about all the times in the old testament that gawd killed, maimed, or diseased people he wasn't pleased with?

Was THAT "unconditional love"?

Guest Valk0010

You smell a guy with questions (or you are right next to me and smell curry farts from my indian dinner last night)

hehe

Questions are good, we are here to help.

That is actually a good point.

If you're not a troll, I think you're smart enough to figure this one out, given enough time.

Think about it. Let logic and reason take over, and do away with all the silly pat apologetics. You can do this man! I HAVE FAITH IN YOU!

here are my main questions (and if you guys do not mind, I am not here to discuss evolution)

1) I find it hard to accept that hitler could of accepted christ the last 10 seconds of his life and been saved

2) Why does God make it impossible to communicate with the other side

3) Near death experiences, there is a biochemical explanation

4) Why do xians think god is pro war

here are my main questions (and if you guys do not mind, I am not here to discuss evolution)

1) I find it hard to accept that hitler could of accepted christ the last 10 seconds of his life and been saved

If you're willing to entertain the notion that christianity is a made-up religion just like all the rest- based on fear, tradition, culture, etc.- you'll find rather simple answers to all those questions.

• Like 2

1. Loose interpretations of Paul lead to this conclusion. I think it's bollocks, myself, but I also think Paul was an ancient Pat Robertson.

2. Biblically, he didn't, he just punished the shit out of those who did, and condemns the practice. "Necromancy" and all that.

3. Personally, I don't see how biochemical reactions and neurons and the brain negate spirit, but I'm a weirdo pagan.

4. Old Testament. Abe's god sure loved those who slaughtered idol worshipers and took their land.

1. Loose interpretations of Paul lead to this conclusion. I think it's bollocks, myself, but I also think Paul was an ancient Pat Robertson.

2. Biblically, he didn't, he just punished the shit out of those who did, and condemns the practice. "Necromancy" and all that.

3. Personally, I don't see how biochemical reactions and neurons and the brain negate spirit, but I'm a weirdo pagan.

4. Old Testament. Abe's god sure loved those who slaughtered idol worshipers and took their land.

1) good point (I use to like pat R yrs ago, but as I grew older, developed a real dislike for the jerk, plus too many things out there which are not christian at all with the man)

2) still curious on that one

3) there is a natural hallucinogen in the body called DMT, when the brain becomes oxygen deficient, some small area where it is stored releases it, giving these "seeing a tunnel of light" etc

4) I am looking for a new testament verse from xians