Goodbye Jesus

On Learning

Legion

But in my experience a lot of learning is continuing to make attempts at what you are working on and allowing yourself the freedom to make mistakes. And if you keep repeating this you get better and better. Fear of failure and perfectionist thinking has held me back in my life. I'm moving on to my second half not being so afraid of failing but being open to making mistakes and growing. So maybe our abilities are on trial? We are testing our own abilities to master something.

I certainly agree with this. I have a bit of a perfectionist streak in me also, and I've come to realize what a detriment it is for me during learning. If I am so afraid of making errors that I do not try new things, then I've effectively squashed my potential to learn. I think an overblown perfectionism stifles the creativity which learning requires.

It made me think of another assertion DeanMen. It may or not have 'truthiness'. :HaHa: I really like that term.

Learning requires an openess to learn. If we have convinced ourselves that a subject has been mastered, then there is no reason for us to approach it new ways.

It made me think of another assertion DeanMen. It may or not have 'truthiness'. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif I really like that term.

Learning requires an openess to learn. If we have convinced ourselves that a subject has been mastered, then there is no reason for us to approach it new ways.

That's really great Leege. I think the true masters keep that openness to new things, they are forever curious.

I think the true masters keep that openness to new things, they are forever curious.

I agree DeanMen. What do you think of the assertion though that curiosity is a form of desire? What do you think of the Buddhist assertion that suffering is caused by desire?

I think the true masters keep that openness to new things, they are forever curious.

I agree DeanMen. What do you think of the assertion though that curiosity is a form of desire? What do you think of the Buddhist assertion that suffering is caused by desire?

Well, first I need to learn more about Buddism. I don't know much. I used to meditate at the local Zen center but it was so sterile & mechanical it made me crazy.

I think some sufferring can be caused by desire, but I am not confident that all desire causes suffering.

Do the Buddists think that curiosity is a form of desire? I don't know. Is curiosity the desire to know something? I guess so.

I don't necessarily think that giving up desires makes a person enlightened. I think acceptance does though.