Goodbye Jesus

Xenophobic/ Militaristic Rednecks

mcdaddy

• Super Moderator

A bi-lingual job requirement isn't punishment, nor is it a political statement. It just means that a large percentage of the customer base speaks a language other than English.

• Like 2

Wester, you're the kind of person I am extremely jealous of. I only WISH my parents had exposed me to another language when I was younger. It's so difficult to learn a language now without being immersed in the culture where the language is prominent. I took three years of high school Spanish and worked for awhile at our church's health clinic which catered largely to the hispanic community. Yet I am so far from fluent! If I found a good way to learn languages fluently here in America I'd like to be fluent in Spanish, French, Portuguese and Norwegian (is that a language?).

Where I live, speaking Spanish makes you more employable, but most certainly isn't a requirement. I DO understand the frustration though with illegals and their language. If I went to another country, such as France, I would be expected to learn how to speak French. This needs to be a requirement of the illegals coming into this country. Either that, or we need to make Spanish a mandatory language in America for even toddlers to learn. When I have children, I will be making sure they are educated in other languages from a young age so they don't have to go through the trouble of learning it after reaching adulthood. Either way Roxie, I entirely agree with you. At the very least, companies where you are should hire you and provide basic Spanish lessons to its employees.

I've lived abroad for years, yet I'm an American idiot who is too lazy or too stupid to speak a second language. I learn bits and pieces, but this just gets me by; and barely at that. I'm too jealous of others who are multi lingual. But studying language is like pulling teeth for me and I'm good at making excuses for not learning.

My nephew is really lucky in that he lived in the US between 5-10 yo, so now that he's 21 he speaks English like an American with absolutely no accent and a full grasp of slang and idioms in addition to his native Russian. Kids that get a start this way have a huge advantage over old farts like me as it's much, much easier to learn when you are young.

Luckily for others, English is a pretty easy language to learn; at least on a communicative level. Russian has 7 congegations and they even congegate nouns and titles. I don't even want to think about Chinese, which has virtually no western words. At least in Russian English speakers already know the word for things like computer (Komputer) fantastic (fantastichnya) etc...

Wester, you're the kind of person I am extremely jealous of. I only WISH my parents had exposed me to another language when I was younger. It's so difficult to learn a language now without being immersed in the culture where the language is prominent. I took three years of high school Spanish and worked for awhile at our church's health clinic which catered largely to the hispanic community. Yet I am so far from fluent! If I found a good way to learn languages fluently here in America I'd like to be fluent in Spanish, French, Portuguese and Norwegian (is that a language?).

Where I live, speaking Spanish makes you more employable, but most certainly isn't a requirement. I DO understand the frustration though with illegals and their language. If I went to another country, such as France, I would be expected to learn how to speak French. This needs to be a requirement of the illegals coming into this country. Either that, or we need to make Spanish a mandatory language in America for even toddlers to learn. When I have children, I will be making sure they are educated in other languages from a young age so they don't have to go through the trouble of learning it after reaching adulthood. Either way Roxie, I entirely agree with you. At the very least, companies where you are should hire you and provide basic Spanish lessons to its employees.

You can't require ANYTHING of illegals.

They're ILLEGAL! lol

Thanks for understanding. The problem this is creating down here is the local high school graduates do NOT speak Spanish. I have 3 nephews, who are Hispanic that are having a hard time getting jobs because the do not speak it. Their mother, born and raised here was never taught Spanish and she is a teacher.

I can understand having a few employees that speak Spanish, but the whole company? Funny, when you drive up to McDonalds, they say, "May I help you?" IN ENGLISH. But I can't get a job there because I can't speak Spanish. Oh, it's so frutrating!

They're ILLEGAL! lol

That's it in a nutshell!!!!!! They are ILLEGAL! So why cater to them?? Hell, let's just release all the prisoners and have them over for diner, in our private homes, every week and prepare exactly what they want because we have to cater to them!

They're ILLEGAL! lol

That's it in a nutshell!!!!!! They are ILLEGAL! So why cater to them?? Hell, let's just release all the prisoners and have them over for diner, in our private homes, every week and prepare exactly what they want because we have to cater to them!

Because you're trying to work for a private business. If it were the government, that may be a little different.

A business has to make money. If they honestly feel like employing only English speakers will hurt biz, thats their right to do so.

A business has to make money. If they honestly feel like employing only English speakers will hurt biz, thats their right to do so.

Yeah, you're right. I'm just ranting cause I'm stranded down here with no job and no way to get back out.

It's cool. Your situation does suck. Hope things get better sooner rather than later!