Goodbye Jesus

This May Be A Bit Of A "newbie" Question, But....

Sheldon

Certainly there are going to be some families that indoctrinate more effectively. You mention five super-fundie family members, and you're clearly, well, not wink.png That's skewed to the side but not obscenely so. I reckon that super-indoctrinaire families are being outweighed by the bulk of middle-class families don't have time or inclination to indoctrinate kids as thoroughly as yours did. I'm wondering if the whole "train up a child" idea only works if it's really dedicated.

Thoughts on this article about lying about how you feel about religion so you can get free food and babysitting?

I think there are two camps of indoctrination. There's the fundangelical version, where you beat it into the kids head. A lot of people here focus on that, because it's easier to make them look silly or stupid, especially since they come to you, you don't have to look for them. But there's the more anglican/catholic version where they live their lives relatively normally, but manage to indoctrinate the religion down into the very core. Like a dormant disease. The indoctrinated person may live their life for the most part as if not religious.. until challenged.

At that point, the host, has to make the decision: keep the irrational belief that their whole life was considered "right", or follow reason despite the deep programming in their brain. I think you see a huge split there, those that reject their more passive but pervasive religious belief, and those that just go on believing it against reason. A king of traditionalistic belief.