Goodbye Jesus

Another Friend Bites The Dust

mcdaddy

So another amigo of mine from high school died today at 32. (the first one passed 3 months ago, I was VERY close to him, this guy today not as much, but still knew him, good guy).

He had just turned into a super xian a few years ago and had moved to louisiana and I think was a youth and/or music pastor. Here's the kicker: he had FOUR young kids. FUCKING FOUR.

What kind of god would allow one of his groupies to die and leave four kids fatherless? Maybe they'll eventually see that if one exists at all, it's deist at best. Feel so terrible for them. And his brother, who's an atheist btw. He's who I came out to first about my nonbelief.

Oh that is so sad! :-(

So sad :-( there have been a few young people die that I know too- a guy I knew from uni passed away from cancer 2 days ago, he'd only just gotten married :-( he was 22. Then a couple of weeks ago a nurse from my hospital was killed in a hit and run, she was 53 and apparently one of the most caring, friendly nurses in the hospital :-(

Sorry for your loss mcdaddy :-(

I'm so sorry for your loss mcdaddy! Hang in there. <hugs>

*HUGS*

So another amigo of mine from high school died today at 32. (the first one passed 3 months ago, I was VERY close to him, this guy today not as much, but still knew him, good guy).

He had just turned into a super xian a few years ago and had moved to louisiana and I think was a youth and/or music pastor. Here's the kicker: he had FOUR young kids. FUCKING FOUR.

What kind of god would allow one of his groupies to die and leave four kids fatherless? Maybe they'll eventually see that if one exists at all, it's deist at best. Feel so terrible for them. And his brother, who's an atheist btw. He's who I came out to first about my nonbelief.

This is what I don't understand either. What kind of a sick twisted "god" would do this to his followers and what's the point of worshipping a "god" who would be that cruel? Of course the fundies will defend "god" and give the tired ass "God has his reasons" and "Now he's in a better place" horseshit, nevermind the fact that four kids now have to suffer and grow up fatherless.Wendybanghead.gif

How did your friend die so young?

I saw an allusion to someone's death on your FB, and I figured you'd say more here. I am very sorry to hear that you've suffered another loss this year, and it is truly a tragedy for his family. I noticed on FB that a lot of people were talking about prayers. I'm wondering whether that makes you feel even worse; it would make me feel worse in a similar situation, though we realize it's a reflexive way that indoctrinated people try to express their real empathy.

Hugs from me, too.

This is what I don't understand either. What kind of a sick twisted "god" would do this to his followers and what's the point of worshipping a "god" who would be that cruel? Of course the fundies will defend "god" and give the tired ass "God has his reasons" and "Now he's in a better place" horseshit, nevermind the fact that four kids now have to suffer and grow up fatherless.Wendybanghead.gif

How did your friend die so young?

I haven't gotten specifics yet but it's either heat stroke or heart attack or both. Could hardly sleep last night just thinking about those poor kids. I don't know them or his wife but the situation is the worst kind of terrible.

God has a plan right?!? I mean obviously this is a plan.

I saw an allusion to someone's death on your FB, and I figured you'd say more here. I am very sorry to hear that you've suffered another loss this year, and it is truly a tragedy for his family. I noticed on FB that a lot of people were talking about prayers. I'm wondering whether that makes you feel even worse; it would make me feel worse in a similar situation, though we realize it's a reflexive way that indoctrinated people try to express their real empathy.

Hugs from me, too.

Thanks Fic. It doesn't really bother me, I just look at it as kind of sad that so many people still choose to worship a deity that would allow shit like this. When it would take 0 effort to prevent it. Not that that's even a major reason I don't believe- I can handle deism. It's theism that is wildly irrational.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and kind comments though. Love y'all!

I'm sorry for your loss.

so sorry to hear about this loss McDaddy. At times like these its hard for our hearts not to go out to the family.

What kind of god lets this happen? The kind of god that isn't interested in interfering with human lives; who neither curses nor blesses us and neither provides nor denies. The kind of god that must be sought after but never found, the kind of god who isn't really a god at all, but perhaps could become a rallying point for compassion and healing in times of tragedy like these.

• Super Moderator

I'm so sorry for your loss. This seems to be the week for losses. A good friend of my son's died this week after her second bout with cancer. She was 38. Her poor husband is a mess right now... and their kids...... I don't even want to think about it.

I too am so sorry for another loss you must face Mcdaddy. This is so sad to hear ...so young....

I am sitting here and thinking back in my mind at how I justified this as a christian. I would have said somrthing like god having his reasons and it would end up like the "Job'' story, where the wife and 4 children will be 'blessed' abundantly within time. Wendytwitch.gif I'm so embarrased that I even thought this way....but I did. That is what they'll say.

But we know better.... Life can be an extremley unfair place. At least we understand that the 'natural' world can be both beautiful and cruel.......

Again, I am so sorry.....

• Super Moderator

Sorry for your loss, again. These things become more common in time, but they don't get easier.

Thx Flor & Marg!

 XX

<3 you, man. I'm sorry to hear about another friend gone. Don't let the turkeys get you down on FB... people never know what to say about this kind of loss, so they start talking like idiots. I'm sure they mean well. I hope the widow and children will be all right.

<3 you, man. I'm sorry to hear about another friend gone. Don't let the turkeys get you down on FB... people never know what to say about this kind of loss, so they start talking like idiots. I'm sure they mean well. I hope the widow and children will be all right.

Tyvm Ak. I put up another thread re: how to help the surviving family.

I am sorry to hear about the death of your friend.

The fundies would say " God's way are higher than our ways." Why would God need a young father of four in heaven? How can Christian explain that. Anyway, sorry about you loss.

My condolences, brother.

About ten years ago, I had a friend die in an apartment fire. This guy was one of the most popular guys at the small university I went to at the time, but it was the kind of popularity that came from being a genuinely nice person. He was smart, made top grades, and was just a real pleasure to be around. It was a real tragedy when he passed. I was a Christian when I knew him, but I think if someone had told me it was part of God's plan I would have really been pissed off.

Damn, that sucks, dude. Those poor kidlets :(