Goodbye Jesus

"documentary" Crap On Tv

Thurisaz

I swear it's been a loooooong time since it last was as shitty as it is this morning right now. :banghead:

So over here in Germany every other TV docu is traditionally about something connected to the 3rd reich. It sucks totally (it's not like you aren't tortured with the same tired old stuff already in what feels like 15 classes for at least 7 years in school!) but you can get used to it, and at least some things in that shitpile can actually be interesting.

It's those other "trends" that really make me wanna puke. For quite some time it felt like out of that remaining half of non-3rd-reich stuff, at least 95 % were pure undiluted worship of the imperial war machine. The Abrams tank, the Apache 'copter, this weapon, that weapon, this tank, that nuclear aircraft carrier... yeah right because we all sooooooo love the empire. Oceaaaaaania 'tis for theeeee!

And now, maybe since about 6 months, it's all about imperial prisons. Literally. Of the remaining half of TV docus I swear some 130 % are about this US prison and that US prison and that other US prison...

...at least with tanks or bombers I can feel a bit interested in the technology used. From an engineer point of view, stuff like building a tank's main gun that always stays pointed right at the target no matter where you drive that bastard can be kind of cool. But now tell me pretty please!...:

What the fuck is interesting about seeing the inside of a jail like 20 hours a day? :vent:

(unless maybe you have a strange fetish regarding prisoner uniforms)

*off soapbox*

Okay I think I feel better now. At least for a while. Sorry if you couldn't help but read this til the end :)

Things are pretty bad on this side of the pond, too. If something isn't "reality" TV, then it's a "ghost hunting" show, or something about UFOs. I haven't watched anything other than the shows my kids watch or the occasional movie on TV in years.

When it first started, our 'History Channel, was decent. But now? It is a joke. Ice Road Truckers, Pawn Shops, and Larry the Cable guy red neck shows like noodling. It is anything but history. Occasionally, they have a decent history show, but that is a rare exception.

I watch PBS and the Disocvery channels for the most part; they include shows about animals, nature, etc. But my very favorite is 'The Science Channel.' But they digress at times, they have a show called 'An Idiot Abroad.' now that show makes me laugh til I cry--I can't wait for the idiot American version because our idiots are much more idiotic-- but it isn't science; it should be on Comedy Central.

TV in America is loaded with religious channels. It chaps me that I cannot get science channel without paying to support at least ten religious crap stations.

• Super Moderator

TV in America is loaded with religious channels. It chaps me that I cannot get science channel without paying to support at least ten religious crap stations.

Ditto! (Except "chaps" is putting it mildly! mad.gif )

Things are pretty bad on this side of the pond, too. If something isn't "reality" TV, then it's a "ghost hunting" show, or something about UFOs. I haven't watched anything other than the shows my kids watch or the occasional movie on TV in years.

I watched this UFO documentary from the 90's the other day. It was pretty interesting, and wasn't all flashy with the production. At the end of the film however, they tried to tell you that modern UFO's passengers were actually Biblical demons. Not that the demons were Aliens, but literally the Aliens were demons. The film had gone the whole hour without mentioning religion once too. It was disappointing. Of course, if I choose to believe that there are humanoids who have achieved interdimensional travel, am I any less crazy? Haha.

The standard history channel is crap but H2 usually has something good on it.

• 2 weeks later...

TLC (The Learning Channel) is the biggest joke ever, in my opinion. "What Not to Wear", "Cake Boss", "Virgin Diaries", COME ON! They call that learning? How about learning something useful like "Christianity Is Bullshit", or "The Joy of Not Working", or "How to Cheat On Your Taxes and Get Away With It".

Its crazy enough how many shows are dedicated to Alaska. Deadliest Catch, Alaska State Troopers, Flying Wile Alaska, Gold Rush Alaska, Sarah Palin's Alaska, Ice Road Truckers, Coast Guard Alaska, Bering Sea Gold... Too many to list.

How funny, as I type this I am watching a docu about Angels: good or evil on H2.

As others have said, most all of the documentaries that are on are the same crap, repeated over and over. How many times do I need to see swamp loggers doing the same thing each week?

There's actually lots and lots of interesting things they can do documentaries on, or even reality/documentary shows like they have now. But rather than get a wide variety of topics, they do one topic and do it over and over and over. I guess that lowers their production costs? At the and of the day that's all that matters to the networks: profit.

• Like 1

I don't have pay tv. The only thing that annoys me at the moment is the Olympics coverage. I watch TV 2 nights a week, and thanks to the Olympics, one of those night's shows are completely cancelled, and the other night is crappy re-runs while the Olympics are on. Every other channel is just showing shit programmes because they couldn't be fucked competing with the Olympics coverage.

I've now endured two saturdays in a row without CSI, and that pisses me off. CSI night started when I was studying, and will continue when I resume studying at the end of this month. I really look forward to CSI night every week, just to relax and unwind.

Sunday night is my other TV night, and, again, it's all fucked up and has been for some time. I'm hoping that after the Olympics, they will go back to the old schedule: new episode of Bones, new episode of Castle, old episode of Castle, then a true crime segment.

P.S.- Has the next season of Bones started in America yet?

worship of the imperial war machine.

Yup, the worship of the imperial war machine is everywhere. Each time I drive in front of the War Museum I wanna puke. "Lest Not Forget" "Support Our Troops"

The purpose is to make everyone think that everybody else thinks that this is important.

Well I'm all for "Never forget the lives sacrificed", I think we owe it to those who died for us (or at least believed that they died for us); however, that's absolutely not the same as condoning the wars in which they fought.

At least over here some will claim I'm a fascist scumbag if I state it openly, but fuck it, I also think those who fought and died in the wehrmacht back in WW2 deserve some remembrance and respect; yes, some of them will have been fuckfaces who really believed in the entire aryan-master-race-vs-jewish-subhuman-scum crap, but others will have genuinely believed they fight for the very survival of their nation, their people, their loved ones. One can honor those who fought until death without thinking the austrian moustache and its cronies were right :shrug:

Talk to any person who has ever fought in a war. The majority of them don't want to be remembered for what they did. Those who have not lost their sanity are very ashamed and have to live with this for the rest of their lives.

Ooookay then.

I guess I can count myself lucky that we don't have many war veterans over here, so I can't judge that from own experience...

• Like 1

Guest Babylonian Dream

I hear you! My grandpa got me hooked on the History Channel. Then we both stopped watching it simultaeneously when it started playing BS.

Humans exist because the aliens mated with apes.... Civilization on earth was started by aliens.... Really? Is this what we're being degraded to?

I hear you! My grandpa got me hooked on the History Channel. Then we both stopped watching it simultaeneously when it started playing BS.

Humans exist because the aliens mated with apes.... Civilization on earth was started by aliens.... Really? Is this what we're being degraded to?

Half alien, half ape: this is exactly how I have always felt. But then if you saw this on TV it must be BS.

Heh, if only we were at that point already (on TV = bullcrap). As I see it, a major part of the current problem is that far too many of us still think that on TV = true (and same with "written in some newspaper"). Especially as all the major mass media are reliably following the merkel bitch's party line.

One of the last few economical freethinkers here recently called that what it is... Gleichschaltung. Of course he caught flak for it because you know, nazi comparisons are always wrong when applied to those who are the good ones™ per definitionem... oh well :vent: