Goodbye Jesus

I Hate Dietary Elitists

Kurari

Pudd,

Your body type is similar to virtually everyone I know off this board who has bi-polar. Everyone of them is skinny as a rail. One of my high school friends was bi-polar (still is) was always skinny as a rail and could not gain weight. He ate lots of bread, potatoes, meat, drank butter milk. He could never gain weight try as he may. I have run into others who were the same way....skinny and bi-polar. I know not all bi-polar people are skinny but the ones I know in person are...every one of them. Just weird.

I think that has a lot to do with how the condition affects each of us. Personally, my theory is that those of us who tend towards mania or hypomania, or tend to cycle a lot, will be thinner than those who tend to have more depressive episodes than manic. Simply because of the energy, agitation, and lack of interest in food common with even a bout of hypomania. Not to mention the lack of sleep.

Dude, I gained 35kg on on one medcation. That's like 77 pounds in imperial. I've never been that heavy in my life. I was just lucky that when I switched to another medication, it all slowly came off over the course of about 18 months or so. So far, all of the four medications I've been on have been meant to make me gain weight, but that one was the only one that ever did.

Wow. I was always told that there's probably no chance of anything bad or anything (this was in the 90's when much of this happened) and so I was just blamed. The first time I gained weight I craved sweets like crazy (which I never do). So my fault? The second time I never changed my diet one tiny bit. Nothing at all. I still gained all that weight. At least it started to come off (like I said). These pills can do crazy shit to a person and it can do different things to different people.

mwc

It was zyprexa that did it to me. It virtually stops your metabolism while at the same time making you hungry all the time. I ate like crazy. And all I wanted was the worst foods. I've heard of worse, though- one guy I knew gained 60kg on that shit.

Wait what, vegetarians? Hmmm, steak.

• Like 1

This is why I worked my ass off and spent god-awful amounts of money have my own little hobby farm. Most of my meat and vegetables come from that. The chickens get to free range outdoors, take dust baths, hunt for bugs and plants, and aren't mutant cornish cross that grow to adult size in 8 weeks. The goats have plenty of milk, and the kids stay with their moms and nurse while we take the excess. The critters do a lot of work cleaning up the space needed for planting our vegetables, fruits, and herbs with their browsing, digging, and scratching. Their manure gets composted and fed back to the soil, which is fed to the plants, and the plants grow strong and healthy from this. I don't need to use medications, pesticides, or antibiotics (unless absolutely necessary, which is very rare and an as-needed basis).

It's a night and day difference in quality, taste, and nutrition. My animals are the lifeblood of my farm and my health. Making sure they are able to live good lives is my priority.

But I have to make concessions here. You can't run a farm without culling animals. It just doesn't happen. I can't live without eating meat. So making sure the ones slated for the dinner plate are killed as humanely as possible is something I care deeply about.

'Cause obviously, I'm a cold-blooded killer who only does all this for no reason.

That's awesome that you have your own smallholding. It's something I would love to do eventually, but I have a lot more to learn - and a lot more dosh to save - before I get there. To me it seems like one of the best ways to really get to grips with where our food comes from, and ensure that it's produced in a way that is sustainable and humane. If there's anything I do have a tendency to get a bit sanctimonious about, it's the fact that so many people seem to have no relationship with what they eat, and don't really seem to care how it's produced or how much it's been meddled with before it ends up on their plate.

In the meantime, I'm working at making sure that when I buy food, it's seasonal and locally grown wherever possible, and when it's an animal product, that it has been humanely produced - that means free-range at least, preferably organic ('cause here in Australia, you can't always be sure that "free range" on a label actually means what it says).

Kurari,

Back in May of 2009, I was diagnosed as a full type 2 diabetic. My fasting blood sugar was at 267 and my A1C was 11. The doctors didn't tell me jack shit. I had a friend who has been diabetic for over 50 years and he put me on Atkins. I stay on it because if I even taste anything that is carbs or sugars, my blood sugar spikes to over 140. Since being on my low to no carb diet, my average fasting blood sugar has been mostly between 90 to 115 and my A1C has been below 6. Even my cholesterol has just been slightly above 100 both LDL and HDL average. My triglycerides have been nearly perfect. I have not even so much as tasted bread, potatoes, rice, beans, or even any sweet fruit since 2009. All I can say is it works! I have even silenced smart-assed nutritionists when I tell them how I control my diabetes and show them my test results. They are dumb founded.

I am glad this has worked so well for you. But even more than that, I am in awe of your willpower. I don't think I could do it.

Ro....

It has nothing to do with will power....It is the simple fact that if I don't do what I need to do....I will die. That simple. When I feel an urge to eat a piece of bread or a piece of candy...I trick my brain by saying to myself...."It is rat poison"....That is how.

Plus after you've done strict low-carb for a while, those cravings for sugar and other carbs dissapear completely.

It's total hell when you begin though, because your brain is like "AAAAH! I NEED CANDYYYY!!!!"

I dabbled in low-carb before and went cold turkey...and it was hell. This time I had to taper myself down slowly in cutting one serving out at a time. I still have some cravings, but they are really mild ATM. I'm looking forward to the day they just go away completely.

I am so happy to know this worked out for you, BO. Knowing that we can't mess around anymore is a big motivator.

This is why I worked my ass off and spent god-awful amounts of money have my own little hobby farm. Most of my meat and vegetables come from that. The chickens get to free range outdoors, take dust baths, hunt for bugs and plants, and aren't mutant cornish cross that grow to adult size in 8 weeks. The goats have plenty of milk, and the kids stay with their moms and nurse while we take the excess. The critters do a lot of work cleaning up the space needed for planting our vegetables, fruits, and herbs with their browsing, digging, and scratching. Their manure gets composted and fed back to the soil, which is fed to the plants, and the plants grow strong and healthy from this. I don't need to use medications, pesticides, or antibiotics (unless absolutely necessary, which is very rare and an as-needed basis).

It's a night and day difference in quality, taste, and nutrition. My animals are the lifeblood of my farm and my health. Making sure they are able to live good lives is my priority.

But I have to make concessions here. You can't run a farm without culling animals. It just doesn't happen. I can't live without eating meat. So making sure the ones slated for the dinner plate are killed as humanely as possible is something I care deeply about.

'Cause obviously, I'm a cold-blooded killer who only does all this for no reason.

That's awesome that you have your own smallholding. It's something I would love to do eventually, but I have a lot more to learn - and a lot more dosh to save - before I get there. To me it seems like one of the best ways to really get to grips with where our food comes from, and ensure that it's produced in a way that is sustainable and humane. If there's anything I do have a tendency to get a bit sanctimonious about, it's the fact that so many people seem to have no relationship with what they eat, and don't really seem to care how it's produced or how much it's been meddled with before it ends up on their plate.

In the meantime, I'm working at making sure that when I buy food, it's seasonal and locally grown wherever possible, and when it's an animal product, that it has been humanely produced - that means free-range at least, preferably organic ('cause here in Australia, you can't always be sure that "free range" on a label actually means what it says).

Yeah. The trick is to start small and work yourself up. You can't run a farm if you've never run a garden. It's a lot better to screw up a few plants than a whole crop. I started with a few herbs on my windowsill, then a few vegetables on the deck of my apartment, and when we got the house, I had a small plot, and that eventually started growing.

For livestock, Chickens are an awesome great place to start. A lot of places allow around 3 hens (no roosters) in a backyard setting so long as you keep things cleaned up. Chicks are pretty cheap, and you can build chicken coops and runs out of pretty much any scrounged materials. So they are low-cost livestock that gives a lot back. Be sure to check your zoning laws to make sure your chooks are legal in your area, and speak with your neighbors to see they would mind. Even hens can be loud when they are singing their "egg song" in the mornings!

And I'm always available for advice if you or anybody else would like to PM me. My mission is to show people how to grow truly good food for themselves. :)

Kurari,

Back in May of 2009, I was diagnosed as a full type 2 diabetic. My fasting blood sugar was at 267 and my A1C was 11. The doctors didn't tell me jack shit. I had a friend who has been diabetic for over 50 years and he put me on Atkins. I stay on it because if I even taste anything that is carbs or sugars, my blood sugar spikes to over 140. Since being on my low to no carb diet, my average fasting blood sugar has been mostly between 90 to 115 and my A1C has been below 6. Even my cholesterol has just been slightly above 100 both LDL and HDL average. My triglycerides have been nearly perfect. I have not even so much as tasted bread, potatoes, rice, beans, or even any sweet fruit since 2009. All I can say is it works! I have even silenced smart-assed nutritionists when I tell them how I control my diabetes and show them my test results. They are dumb founded.

I am glad this has worked so well for you. But even more than that, I am in awe of your willpower. I don't think I could do it.

Ro....

It has nothing to do with will power....It is the simple fact that if I don't do what I need to do....I will die. That simple. When I feel an urge to eat a piece of bread or a piece of candy...I trick my brain by saying to myself...."It is rat poison"....That is how.

Plus after you've done strict low-carb for a while, those cravings for sugar and other carbs dissapear completely.

It's total hell when you begin though, because your brain is like "AAAAH! I NEED CANDYYYY!!!!"

I dabbled in low-carb before and went cold turkey...and it was hell. This time I had to taper myself down slowly in cutting one serving out at a time. I still have some cravings, but they are really mild ATM. I'm looking forward to the day they just go away completely.

I am so happy to know this worked out for you, BO. Knowing that we can't mess around anymore is a big motivator.

Is that really so? I eat high carb all the time but I never have any candy, nor do I feel the need for it.

Am I doing something wrong? :P

It has nothing to do with will power....It is the simple fact that if I don't do what I need to do....I will die. That simple. When I feel an urge to eat a piece of bread or a piece of candy...

Was that an epiphany or advice from your Dr.?

I live around people who just can't seem to make that connection. For instance my FIL, the man literally eats every two hours and not one serving but 2 or 3. I told my wife a long time ago that his diet will do him in. I'd get every excuse in the world from family members (most of whom are obese), his dr. said he is in great shape, blood sugar is OK etc., etc.. I'd say that while that may be true today, eventually his body will not be able to process all that food. Sure enough, now he's got T2, frequent kidney infections and bowel problems and STILL eats as before. I've watched this same pattern with other family members over a couple decades. Funny how people can remain obstinate in spite of the evidence before them.

My sister learned that the hard way about carbs = sugar = fat. She felt so betrayed to know that all those "fat-free" cookies and treats she bought thinking she was losing weight were actually just as bad as if she'd just said "fuck it" and eaten the real versions of these foods. She had another epiphany about how "fat-free" chocolate-chip yogurt and foods like that LIE.

Restaurants are getting a lot cooler about low-carb options, which is nice. I do miss "Cadillac fajitas" from this one place in Atlanta; it eats just fine, I'd say even better really, without the gummy, chemical-tasting flour tortillas that come with it.

BO, I've also found that I tend to know a lot more about diabetes control than any diabetic I've ever met IRL. A work friend who had T2 was eating McDonald's pancakes with syrup every day and thinking she was doing awesome at managing her condition because it didn't have white sugar sprinkled on top. Another diabetic friend (T1) was literally drinking 3-4 2-liter bottles of sugary Coke every single day; he suffered constant stomach pain and was on 8 needles a day, but insisted the Coke was necessary as he thought it made the stomach pain easier. His endo kept telling him to fucking stop that, and finally he did; the tummyaches went away almost immediately and he went down to 4 needles a day. Diabetics don't necessarily have the faintest idea what's going on with their own bodies.

PS: I've known at least one diagnosed bipolar gal who was pudgy, but she'd had several kids and was in an ethnic group not known for svelteness. My lovely husband's ex was normal-weight and bipolar and he says he's known a couple pudgy bipolar chicks and at least one who was flat-out obese.

Oh, I know. T1 and T2 are totally different in a lot of ways. I've heard doctors say that maybe we need different terms for T2 because of it. The T1 I knew however was on 8 needles a day, so likely he didn't need to be drinking the Coke. His endo had told him to stop drinking Coke, but he insisted he knew better than the endo--until he actually cut down on the soda and almost immediately saw the stomachaches end AND could cut down to 4 needles a day. And if he'd have cut down further, as the endo had said to do, he might have seen himself using even fewer; the endo had reluctantly said he could drink 2L of sweet tea a day, which my T1 friend took to mean "start putting so much sugar in that tea that it crystallizes." No exaggeration. If you're going to go against the doctor, at least have some knowledge behind it. It was so frustrating for us, his friends, to watch him slowly kill himself through ignorance. :( Diabetes is awful. It was largely because I'd seen how bad it was for him that when I got diagnosed with insulin resistance that I took weight loss so damned seriously.

This suddenly reminded me of the fat content formula.

Fat grams x 9 = Y

Y / Total calories x 100 = % of fat per serving

Example;

8 fat grams x 9 = 72

72 / 130 calories = .5538 x 100 =55

55% fat