Goodbye Jesus

Chick-Fil-A, Gays And My Mother

Citsonga

I actually could care less about the CEO's opinion. Or his religion for that matter. What I do oppose of any business, is using that money to fund the hate of any group what so ever. If you want to make a difference in the world, fund medical research, or environmental changes. Hey, let's get rid of oil! smile.png If he wants to use his personal money, fine, whatever, just not the companies money.

But when you give money that I the customer contributed to, in the name of destroying something, like basic human rights, I completely object.

Now I understand that this guy and christards like him think they are doing something "good", it's not lost on me. But the message a boycott sends is, "you and your religion are promoting hate". The truth is, religion does harm to society, we all here at Ex-C know that. And regardless of the christards accepting that or not, we need to publicly let them know that fostering the harm to any group of people will put your business in jeopardy.

I'm not saying that chik tract-fil-a will go bankrupt because of this, but people are pissed and they want some sort of consequence for this company. Maybe all the donations they gave will be lost in boycott revenue. That would be nice, even if it is an unrealistic expectation.

I wouldn't trade the rights of a gay person, latino, woman, single parent, or anyone else you can think of for a fast food meal. That's really what it all comes down to in the end.

I agree completely. None of that conflicts with anything I've said. Like I've said, they should focus exactly on that, but unfortunately so far they don't seem to be.

I'm sorry, but an American biscuit is not the same thing as a British scone. Any of the scones I've had have been more like shortbread; a good biscuit is light and flaky. I like both, but for different reasons.

• Like 1

I'm sorry, but an American biscuit is not the same thing as a British scone. Any of the scones I've had have been more like shortbread; a good biscuit is light and flaky. I like both, but for different reasons.

That's what I'm saying. Stephanie Jaworski has never steered me wrong. :)

One question......should they allow a father and adult daughter to marry?

You've lost me, B.O. I need a little context. Who is "they"? This seems a bit irrelevant to Chik-Fil-A unless I've missed something.

Over here scones are usually triangular. Not sure why.

Cheese and chives sounds good. This thread is making me hungry. yum.gif

The one's I've had have been deep fried, where biscuits are baked. My mom used to make scones with honey butter.

I have never encountered deep fried scones. That's a new one on me. I actually hate American scones, they are always unappealing to me, and I love breads. These were the last ones I ever ate. They are famous. http://www.fishersco...m/Products.aspx

I would be very interested to try deep fried scones. I would also like to have real English or Australian scones just to see the difference.

To be honest, those things Vigile put a pcture up of do look a lot airier than then scones we have here. They look quite light, whereas our scones are heavy- I can only eat one before I'm full.

Shortbread? No, shortbread is a biscuit. A cookie. A scone is like a small version of damper, though tastier than damper.

Over here scones are usually triangular. Not sure why.

Cheese and chives sounds good. This thread is making me hungry. yum.gif

The one's I've had have been deep fried, where biscuits are baked. My mom used to make scones with honey butter.

I have never encountered deep fried scones. That's a new one on me. I actually hate American scones, they are always unappealing to me, and I love breads. These were the last ones I ever ate. They are famous. http://www.fishersco...m/Products.aspx

I would be very interested to try deep fried scones. I would also like to have real English or Australian scones just to see the difference.

To be honest, those things Vigile put a pcture up of do look a lot airier than then scones we have here. They look quite light, whereas our scones are heavy- I can only eat one before I'm full.

Trust me, American biscuits are awesome. They're actually pretty easy to make if you do any sort of baking.

Shortbread? No, shortbread is a biscuit. A cookie. A scone is like a small version of damper, though tastier than damper.

I mean that it's dense and kind of crumbly when you break it. I know it's not quite like shortbread biscuits.

I mean that it's dense and kind of crumbly when you break it. I know it's not quite like shortbread biscuits.

I am far too confused by this whole scone/biscuit/cookie thing. I think I'll just give up trying to work it out lol

• Like 1

You've lost me, B.O. I need a little context. Who is "they"? This seems a bit irrelevant to Chik-Fil-A unless I've missed something.

OK...I will rephrase.....Should a father and adult daughter be allowed to marry?

No, but for genetic reasons, as opposed to moral ones.

OK...I will rephrase.....Should a father and adult daughter be allowed to marry?

There's also a much larger concern about informed consent and coercion is that situation, even if the daughter is an adult. It's sorta like how in academia, teachers aren't allowed to date students, or workplaces will have rules about changing departments if you're going to be dating. The difference is that with unrelated adults, circumstances can change and the authority figure issues will disappear. With parents and children, that's never going to change.

I told you. For genetic reasons. Inbreeding in such a way, particularly over multiple generations, will create genetic problems in the offspring. Now, if a stepfather wanted to marry his stepdaughter, well that's creepy as hell, but fine.

There's also a much larger concern about informed consent and coercion is that situation, even if the daughter is an adult. It's sorta like how in academia, teachers aren't allowed to date students, or workplaces will have rules about changing departments if you're going to be dating. The difference is that with unrelated adults, circumstances can change and the authority figure issues will disappear. With parents and children, that's never going to change.

It does change legally. The daughter is no longer under his authority legally if she is a legal adult. I might add one item...what if the father has had a vasectomy?

Then it's probably also okay. Again, it would be freaking creepy as hell, but okay.

It does change legally. The daughter is no longer under his authority legally if she is a legal adult. I might add one item...what if the father has had a vasectomy?

I wasn't talking about legally; I'm sure that's why you included "adult". My parents, after they were married for a few years and out of the house with children of their own still had trouble getting their parents to treat them like equals. I know that's not unusual. And in the examples I gave of academia I meant college level where the students are legally adults. And coworkers are generally adults. Though it's not the government who's preventing a student and teacher dating, or a boss dating his employee, we do recognise that these situations increase the likelyhood that there are problems and that the subordinate person didn't truly have as free of a choice as they should have. I'm not saying that I think such a relationship is always unhealthy, just that there is an incredibly high chance that it would be. If the state were to make such marriages legal, then I would expect for there to be some extra paperwork and mental health evaluations required before granting a license, just like I expect social workers at the hospital to ask a lot of questions when a wife keeps showing up with bruises.

I'm not exactly sure how one could conflate gay marriage--a union of two people who are informed, consenting, and wanting to spend their lives together--with father-daughter incest. It seems like a false comparison to me. Speaking as someone who is intimately acquainted with that subject, I'm not sure there could ever be consent in that fucked-up situation. And it is an insult to those who have gone through that ghastly experience to even try to compare it to gay marriage. I'm suddenly wondering if this is how gays feel when their orientation is conflated with pedophilia.

• Like 5

No.

And I will laugh at any attempt to conflate discrimination against homosexuals and discrimination against would-be incestuous couples. If it makes you happy, I will be glad to oppose father-son marriages as well. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

• Like 1

I take it you're also against mother-son and mother-daughter marriage as well. YOU BEAST!

My mother finally sent another reply:

You used a different dictionary than I did cause the definition is different. But even with your definition, having a differing opinion is not bigotry. Having "complete intolerance" to something is much more than just believing that something is not right. I don't believe that the gay lifestyle is morally correct the same as adultery is not morally correct. If that is bigotry, then everybody is bigoted over something cause everybody has a view of their own on everything.

If I was "completely intolerant" to the gay lifestyle, I would have nothing to do with any gay. I had a gay brother that I loved & I love {neice's name} & talk to her & she is a lesbian. I don't agree with their lifestyles, but they may not agree with mine - that's OK cause we can disagree without hate, bickering, intolerance or bigotry.

I love you too & apologize if you this offends you, but it shouldn't. Having different opinions is normal cause no 2 people believe exactly the same on everything.

I responded:

If you want to legislate against their basic rights, then you're doing more than simply disagreeing with their lifestyle. Gays aren't trying to tell straights that they can't marry who they want, so we straights should not be doing that to them. If we do, then we're discriminating against them, despite the fact that they aren't harming anyone. There's an old saying that a picture is worth a thousand words, so I've attached one that says it all.

I have attached the picture that I sent her.

Not A Church.jpeg

• Like 2

Chik fil A is littered with religious rhetoric on the inside, they are closed on sunday, ceo says marriage is one man and one woman and we are shocked? As twisted, biased, and obsolete as that stance is, it's his OPINION. If I ate at only restaurants that I agree with the CEO views on everything I would be limited to such a small selection I may as well be amish and grow my own food. Had he said "Gays and lesbians can't eat here" or "being gay is bad" thats a different story and Id personally throw rocks through the window....well not really....... but I would only eat there if I had a coupon and I knew they would get less of my money. Id save the rocks for if they dont take my coupons.

We have to remember that the fuel for his comments is coming from the same bronze age book that drove our lives once upon a time. I didnt respect gay rights until after I stopped believing that the god who gave me the right to enforce that stance didnt exist, so why would i expect that guy to think that way.

I'll never eat at Chick Fil A...mainly cuz we don't have one here. :-) I agree that boycotting every business that had opinions contrary to our own would severely limit our choices. I also think it probably isn't wise for businesses to broadcast their political/religious opinions and think they aren't going to piss somebody off.

• Like 1

I don't expect to agree with what every company does with its money. It's important to note the distinction that most companies aren't donating money to causes that limit citizens' free choices and promote bigotry and exclusion. The list is growing shorter and shorter, too, I'd reckon, of those that are that stupid. They're on the wrong side of this issue. But this is a dialogue I'm grateful that we're all having in this country right now; we've already seen reports that anti-gay rhetoric is alienating a lot of people from Christianity. Crazy-ass stunts like Cathy's are what we need to really drive the point home that this is what Christianity is becoming. This is what Christians are tacitly signing off on by remaining in the religion.

True that a US biscuit and a Brit scone are not identical, however they both come from the same base and the US ones are lighter. Technically they are the same family bit a Brit would poke a biscuit with a fork and grimace.

On the subject of father-daughter marriage, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consanguinity

Consanguinity is an important legal concept in that the laws of many jurisdictions consider consanguinity as a factor in deciding whether two individuals may be married or whether a given person inherits property when a deceased person has not left a will.

The connotations of degree of consanguinity varies by context (e.g., Canon law, Roman law, etc.). Most cultures define a degree of consanguinity within which sexual interrelationships are regarded as incestuous (the "prohibited degree of kinship").

So the comparison of father-daughter marriage is not a commonly held belief. Comparing people who are related getting married to two same gendered individuals who are not related is like comparing shoes to water. It's far reaching.

However, just to clarify. If a father married his adult step-daughter that would actually be legal since his "daughter" is not genetically related to him at all. Creepy but legal. Again, creepy.

The saga continues. Mom replied:

Quite frankly, allowing gay marriage will harm many people eventually. All I can say is, you will see in time.

My response:

Exactly how is allowing them their basic human rights going to harm others? How will it harm you if a gay couple down the street gets married? Did allowing women to vote harm men? Did allowing blacks to gain equal rights harm whites? Don't you care about the harm that's being done to gays because of such bigotry? Really, your position is completely unjustifiable to me; it's nothing short of intolerance against something that is not harming anyone at all.
  • Like 1

It hasn't harmed any of the countries or cities that have permitted it so far. I saw an article yesterday about gay marriage having brought in $259 MILLION dollars in revenue for NYC. And so far God hasn't struck down any of the cities or countries that have allowed it--to the contrary, he seems to be most punishing the most Christian parts of our nation. Odd, isn't it... Maybe he just has shit aim.

It will harm us in the long run because God will destroy America with a giant fireball if we allow those homos to marry. Because he loves us, and we deserve it or something.

No.

And I will laugh at any attempt to conflate discrimination against homosexuals and discrimination against would-be incestuous couples. If it makes you happy, I will be glad to oppose father-son marriages as well. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

As usual you are looking at a sniping opportunity. What I am getting at is.....Why should ANY form of marriage be recognized by government? Why not have ALL marriages be made legal with a binding private contract? Marriage licenses were not even issued in any states until 1855. Since then it has been a bone of contention since. Plural marriages in Morman Utah, interracial in other parts, now gay marriage....WHAT NEXT?

It's a fairly easy way to confer a number of legal rights to a person with a minimum of paperwork, such as next of kin, power of attorney, etc. All of the rights of married people can be accomplished by any two individuals, but it requires several contracts and legal documents that may or may not be recognized later, and may be successfully disputed by other family later. A marriage license just makes everything a lot tidier for the people involved.