Goodbye Jesus

Why Are Teens Leaving The Faith?

TrailBlazer

Greylight, welcome here from a fellow New Yorker!

Thanks ficino! Hope you are taking care of yourself after the hurricane.

You said it! The whole "the answers are there if you only look hard enough" idea is bull. It never occurs to them that perhaps they haven't looked hard enough. Apparently feeling complacent is proof of truth for them.

Welcome, too, from an upstater. PageofCupsBounce99.gif

Thanks multifariousbirdlady. I agree. I wonder if they just don't want to look hard enough. Now that I look at some of the more problematic versus in the bible, I wonder why I wasn't so bothered by them sooner. It's bizarre how some xians try to explain them away like, oh the old testament laws don't apply anymore to xians. Um, have they read some of those laws? It doesn't matter if they don't apply anymore because they are coming from gods mouth, and many of the laws hurt humans, whom god supposedly loves unconditionally.

I wonder if they just don't want to look hard enough. Now that I look at some of the more problematic versus in the bible, I wonder why I wasn't so bothered by them sooner.

When people are comfortable with the general belief it can be difficult to question the details, especially when everyone else around you believes it and says it's true. There were lots of biblical problems that I came up with answers for to explain it away to myself. I figured I just needed to find the right interpretation and it would make sense. Some of it was just trust that God was good and he knew the right thing to do. When I started to realize the implications of the bigger problems then it became more difficult to reinterpret it or just trust God.

Question: "Why are teens leaving the faith"

Answer: the Internet, social change and decent science education

(knowledge is available)

I've made some observations about modern teens... because I have one... they are a different breed now, they seem to mistrust and reject 'authority' almost on instinct, they are cynical and sarcastic, and a lot more tolerant than before . Why? Not sure, but I think the last ten years of wars and talk of environmental damage and plutocracy, crappy politicians, media programs like South Park, etc... has soaked into them even if they don't really understand it.

Social mores among them are very different than they were when I was a teen... example, my daughter has gay friends...openly gay friends and she defends them and laughs at those who find it odd, as do most of her friends. It's not even seen as remotely abhorrent or strange amongst them.. it's just a fact for them that some people are gay/bi/whatever. Race also is not an issue for them. Gender equality is a given... This social view doesn't mesh well will bigotry and authoritarianism. I've also noticed a lot more teenagers who think religion is a joke and identify as atheists, even if they don't use the word.

So, even for those who are indoctrinated early they have this peer group which thinks the old ideas are useless. They reject them... there is much less social acceptance amongst their age group for nonsense—and kids don't mince words, they will straight up ridicule them. Think about the meme of YOLO, that's where the kids are today.

Just my observations.

Question: "Why are teens leaving the faith"

Answer: the Internet, social change and decent science education

(knowledge is available)

When it come to conservative Christianity, I agree, this is the biggest factor.