Goodbye Jesus

The War On Christians Begins Once More... Lol

raoul

I couldn't help myself. Maybe the devil made me do it. Anyway, I found this site from a former xtian antagonist who has a FB page. She was gushing about this new church she found, probably the 50th one she's been to in the past few years. They had a section where you could share your testimony so I did just that.

http://www.freshlifechurch.com/3.0/know_god/story.php

Please share what God has done in your life

My reply:

For openers, regarding what god did for me - actually he'd done jack shit. After an initial 2 week honeymoon, crooning over the 'born again' experience, things went back to where they'd always been. But then, things even got worse! I won't share my personal tale of woe since that's none of your fucking business but let's just say after 25 years of trying to be a good xtian, I found it wanting to say the least. More importantly, everything you xtian freaks claim, is nothing more than pure bullshit. You create the fantasy laden stories just to increase your numbers but all of it is nothing more than a load of crap. And that 'holy' book of yours is another example of bullshit. When one takes a scholary/academic approach to it and finds the thousands of errors, contradictions, additions, deletions from better manuscripts, one realizes this is just another piece of bullshit in order to lead the masses like a bunch of blind sheep.

Their reply:

Thank you for sharing your story!

We believe God has a huge plan for your life and your story has mass potential to impact others.

Thank you for taking your time on your submission and being a part of Fresh Life Church, God Bless .

Hmmm, who knows? Maybe they're right. Maybe my comment might be printed by them and potentially impacts MILLIONS to drop out of their cult!! ROFL

• Like 1

That looks like an auto reply or something.

uh.. that's probably not a good reply. just gonna feed their persecution complex and convince them that all atheists are cranky and insensitive. A measured response would've at least made them think. sorry, just sayin.

• Like 2

uh.. that's probably not a good reply. just gonna feed their persecution complex and convince them that all atheists are cranky and insensitive. A measured response would've at least made them think. sorry, just sayin.

Agreed. Though Xians will probably always think they're persecuted even if we don't give them a shred of reason to, yelling at them will turn them off and make them cry to X about it more, which is exactly what ticks us off.

Don't think of it as a war on Xians. Think of it as a war on indoctrinating people, especially impressionable children, with harmful garbage. Hating X-lovers will build bitterness between us and them, which will reinforce the crap that they use as a crutch. And don't forget, you were one of them for 25 years.

I love the auto-reply. The resultant non-sequitur is priceless.

• Like 1

I don't see the harm in doing things like this. You never win with them anyway. Doesn't matter what you say or do, they'll turn it all around, anyway. Might as well let off some steam sometimes or have a bit of fun lol.

• Like 1

For those of you who said a more measured or reasonable response might have caused them to think about it - ROFL!!!

Seriously folks - do you really think most bible thumping fundies (key word 'most' not 'all'), will ever change their minds regarding their blind obedience to their fantasies? If you do then you're lucky because you've probably never met some of the ones I've had the odious experience of being around. And my views about them now aren't really that different than when I was among them as a christian.

• Like 1

I don't see the harm in doing things like this. You never win with them anyway. Doesn't matter what you say or do, they'll turn it all around, anyway. Might as well let off some steam sometimes or have a bit of fun lol.

Thanks Pudd - you know me pretty well because that is EXACTLY why I did that - to have fun at their expense. As you also stated, they'll never be won over. Besides, I've tried the other way as a christian myself. Whenever I heard something allegedly quoted from the 'word of god' and I knew it was distorted or wrong I would often contact the person via email or public forum comments section and cite the specific reasons for my objections. The replies by them = 0. Nothing - I was totally ignored while they continued their various mantras. So, now it's just ridicule and contempt hurled for the hell of it.
  • Like 1

Thanks Pudd - you know me pretty well because that is EXACTLY why I did that - to have fun at their expense. As you also stated, they'll never be won over. Besides, I've tried the other way as a christian myself. Whenever I heard something allegedly quoted from the 'word of god' and I knew it was distorted or wrong I would often contact the person via email or public forum comments section and cite the specific reasons for my objections. The replies by them = 0. Nothing - I was totally ignored while they continued their various mantras. So, now it's just ridicule and contempt hurled for the hell of it.

Yeah, some days I just get over being the bigger person all the time. We all have our limits. Even Dawkins.

I'm a huge fan of Dawkins. He is so polite, so well-mannered, so able to hold his head high when having all sorts of insults and stupidity flung his way. He genuinely tries to reason and listen and discuss with the most hard-core of fundies of all religious persuasions. But even Dawkins, in all his kindness and gentleness, has his limits.

Dawkins was in Oz a few months ago, and did a TV segment with Cardinal George Pell. At one point, Dawkins had had enough, after the usual Hitler/Stalin comment was made by Pell, and, in an uncharacteristic outburst, said, "that's ridiculous!!!!" At another point, even Dawkins couldn't help laughing at a gaffe by Pell. It was all a bit out of character for Dawkins, but considering he'd been at the Reason Rally in America like two weeks before, and had just flown into Australia, I dare say jet lag was Dawkin's undoing lol.

Here's the full segment if you'd like to watch it:

At least those Twitter comments seemed to have his back.

• Like 1

At least those Twitter comments seemed to have his back.

Yeah, my favourite is: "Have the agnostics worked out whether they're watching QandA tonight?" LOL. Made me laugh the first time I saw this, and continues to makes me laugh.

The cardinal like to use the religious tactic of belittling scientific knowledge and then stating a religious belief as if it's common sense and doesn't need explanation, then smiling happily as if he just won - which is ridiculous. I can see how Dawkins got frustrated by that.

Besides that, I enjoy how the cardinal becomes more and more rational the more he's pushed into a corner. Having a Cardinal say an atheist can go to heaven as long as he lives a good life is a huge tool an atheist can throw back in the face of all the idiots that tell us we'll go to hell if we don't go to church. But a religous leader pointing out the fact that God is only interested in our goodness and our pursuit of truth validates a lot of agnostics that don't see the point of organized religion.

Lastly, a couple comments:

On the question about body and blood from communion, his words taken literally are:

"I believe that the bread and wine becomes the body and blood, literally. Of course when you look at it, it is not body and blood. But Jesus said so, it is"

It's a problem for the atheist to explain why there is goodness and truth and beauty? Absurd. Just because pain and suffering exist, doesn't mean that the opposite can't exist without a god. Living creatures do not like pain and suffering, that much is obvious. It's completely rational for an intelligent being to dislike pain and suffering and to give value to comfort and joy. As such they will strive to obtain such things, and take pleasure in it.

Agree w/blackpuddin...after all that they have done to us, and all of the years of our lives that they cost us, forgive me if I'm not always a gentleman around them. They don't care in the first place; apostates are still on the road to hell either way.Wendyshrug.gif

And then there's the ones who care too much. Proselytising is all about bragging rights, and the harder the convert, the greater the bragging rights. They call it testifying for god, when they get up in front of the church and tell stories about the souls they've saved; but really, all it is is a juvenile bragging contest. Like people have points allocated. 1000 points if you nab yourself an atheist. 100 points for a kid. 200 points for a teenager. 500 for a Hindu, 700 for a muslim. 850 for an agnostic. Extra points for converting a famous person.

That's why sometimes it's fun to just go "do do-di do, do-do, do-do... Can't touch this! Do do-di do, do-do, do-do... Can't touch this!"

The cardinal like to use the religious tactic of belittling scientific knowledge and then stating a religious belief as if it's common sense and doesn't need explanation, then smiling happily as if he just won - which is ridiculous. I can see how Dawkins got frustrated by that.

Besides that, I enjoy how the cardinal becomes more and more rational the more he's pushed into a corner. Having a Cardinal say an atheist can go to heaven as long as he lives a good life is a huge tool an atheist can throw back in the face of all the idiots that tell us we'll go to hell if we don't go to church. But a religous leader pointing out the fact that God is only interested in our goodness and our pursuit of truth validates a lot of agnostics that don't see the point of organized religion.

Lastly, a couple comments:

On the question about body and blood from communion, his words taken literally are:

"I believe that the bread and wine becomes the body and blood, literally. Of course when you look at it, it is not body and blood. But Jesus said so, it is"

It's a problem for the atheist to explain why there is goodness and truth and beauty? Absurd. Just because pain and suffering exist, doesn't mean that the opposite can't exist without a god. Living creatures do not like pain and suffering, that much is obvious. It's completely rational for an intelligent being to dislike pain and suffering and to give value to comfort and joy. As such they will strive to obtain such things, and take pleasure in it.

Yeah, the cardinal made himself look pretty stupid. As did some of the others who directed questions at Dawkins, thinking they were out-witting him. You can almost see Dawkins sitting there, thinking, "I could be sleeping off this jet lag right now instead of dealing with this bullshit".

Thanks Pudd for uploading that video. I would give Dawkins a slight edge especially when the clergyman fell apart regarding the suffering issue along with the Holocaust discussion.

Thanks Pudd for uploading that video. I would give Dawkins a slight edge especially when the clergyman fell apart regarding the suffering issue along with the Holocaust discussion.

What annoyed me the most about the arguments Pell raised was that Dawkins had dealt with each of them in The God Delusion. It was clear to me that Pell had never even read Dawkins' book, otherwise he may have come up with some potentially more original arguments. Or even it may have been a more interesting, lively discussion. Pell could have referenced Dawkins' book and Dawkins could have referenced the bible back. That would have been far more interesting, I reckon. Instead, it was just the same old tired shit.

What annoyed me the most about the arguments Pell raised was that Dawkins had dealt with each of them in The God Delusion. It was clear to me that Pell had never even read Dawkins' book, otherwise he may have come up with some potentially more original arguments. Or even it may have been a more interesting, lively discussion. Pell could have referenced Dawkins' book and Dawkins could have referenced the bible back. That would have been far more interesting, I reckon. Instead, it was just the same old tired shit.

Your last sentence was hilarious because that is exactly what I told the Kat when she asked me if I'd finished watching it. I said 'yeah but it was boring because it was the same old tired shit'.. LOL

I guess what they say is true - great minds think alike.

• Like 1

Your last sentence was hilarious because that is exactly what I told the Kat when she asked me if I'd finished watching it. I said 'yeah but it was boring because it was the same old tired shit'.. LOL

I guess what they say is true - great minds think alike.

I know what you're saying, man. It's like, how many times do the same old arguments have to be raised, and how many times do they have to be refuted, before they will realise what we're saying?

For something more interesting on Dawkins, check out this thread: http://www.ex-christian.net/topic/53015-dawkins-being-funny/

I found a short video of Dawkins giving a speech where he rips the 10 Commandments to shreds in the most hilarious of fashion, including a John Cleese impersonation. I also put in there an hour-long biographical video of Dawkins, where he talks about how he came to have a passion for science and why he feels so strongly about promoting atheism. It was really interesting to discover that he was kind of a disappointment to his father, and wasn't actually that great at science in high school- his former high school science teacher is also interviewed. It was very interesting.