Goodbye Jesus

How To Respond In Public When Asked If You Are A Christian?

jefflives

What is it about Xians always asking this question? I have never been asked by a Jewish person "are you Jewish?" And, in that case, there would even be a rational basis for the question. I have a last name that could quite possibly be a Jewish name (but in my case it isn't). I think it is just one of many ways that Xians try to push their beliefs off on others. And this "pushiness" may be one reason for the growing number of ex-Xians.

I realized that I didn't answer the OP's question, so here goes. I am a deist (a believer in some supreme being or force, but not the "biblical God"), who also thinks the teachings of Jesus are good things to live by (though I just can't believe he was or is God). So the answer is easy for me. My answer is "I try to follow Jesus' teachings". So far, this has shut them up every time.

My answer depends on the audience. If telling the truth does me no harm, I tell the truth. Otherwise I refuse to answer in one of the many creative ways to do so.

Who the hell asks this? I'd be too shocked to form a response.

Tell your family soon to avoid more awkwardness.

If it comes up again before you come out, you could try distracting him/her. Or give a kind of non-answer, then distract. But then your family might figure it out anyway. I don't know, I don't remember being in a situation like that. Come out of the closet as soon as you can. It gets harder the longer you wait.

I like the "that's personal" answer.

Or "excuse me?" in the tone that you take offense to the question.

My answer is always "no". If they probe I tell them how it is, no matter who they are, no matter who's around. I tell it with authority. "I'm an ex-christian."

"What's that?"

"I used to be a christian, fanatical in fact. It made me into an evil person so I got out of it. Now I try to find something of value in all religions since no one religion is 100% right, and each one has some kind of insight it can contribute to a larger whole."

The other person's mouth hangs open for a moment.

Your question is similar to one I asked a while back about how to answer the fundie's bottom line question, "do you believe Christ was raised from the dead?" Some good ideas came up in that thread.

Honestly I just tell people "I'm not anymore". Of course, that doesn't really work for you if you haven't told your wife and family....don't want them hearing second- or third-hand..... In your situation, it sounds like some form of "that's personal" might be the best.

Qadeshet stole my response, "Hell no!"

I'm usually over-confident and cocky enough to take on any questions that follow.

answer with:

"what's your social security number?"

"that's personal information"

"exactly"

Love it!!!

"How much time do you have?"

Today, I was asked by an acquaintance, "Are you a Christian?", in front of others who know me well but are unaware of my deconversion. Aside from telling them it's none of their business (it isn't), how would you respond? I'm not ready to start debates, though I'm growing more confident. Sometimes it's not the place for that anyway. Even more challenging, is responding to Christians' questions/discussions prior to actually "coming out" about your deconversion.

How have you responded? While I know it's probably easier just to come out than to live the lie, I still need to forge these fields with my wife and my family before I break the news publicly.

"My belief system forbids me to discuss it openly with the profane." You could also say "Muggles" instead of the profane.

answer with:

"what's your social security number?"

"that's personal information"

"exactly"

"So is your wife good in the sack?"

"Why that's none of your business!!!!"

"Exactly, just like my religion is none of yours."

Hm. I usually get the "have you found Jesus?" (or "Do you know about...")

Yes, I've heard it all before. I tried to believe. I tried to be one of "God's sheep".

Once I was out of Christianity (and out of that particular relationship)... I just stopped trying. As it turns out, I'm called to other gods. If asked, I'll elaborate, but I usually return with something along a range of "Thanks but no," to "Fuck off" to "What? Did you lose him?" to, well... it depends on my mood.

It depends on where you live. If you live in the south, it is financial suicide to come out as an atheist. These people are mostly related to one another or if not, they know people. You can't get a job in some places if you're not xtian, and yes, it's illegal to ask about religion when hiring, but that doesn't stop them.

If you are a private business owner, you wouldn't get any business.

And yes, I have had people ask me that on a weekly basis.

I just say yes and move on. It's not worth it to be honest. Even your children could be targetted.

• Like 1

Today, I was asked by an acquaintance, "Are you a Christian?", in front of others who know me well but are unaware of my deconversion. Aside from telling them it's none of their business (it isn't), how would you respond? I'm not ready to start debates, though I'm growing more confident. Sometimes it's not the place for that anyway. Even more challenging, is responding to Christians' questions/discussions prior to actually "coming out" about your deconversion.

How have you responded? While I know it's probably easier just to come out than to live the lie, I still need to forge these fields with my wife and my family before I break the news publicly.

I asked a question about coming out a while ago, and the best reply (which, from memory, was served by burnedout) was something along these lines:

No-one knows your situation better than you do. It's up to you to gauge the right thing to do based on the time and place.

Late last year I was asked if I still believed in the Bible, and in response I outright lied and said I did. While it went against my policy of giving a straight answer when asked, this case was different. A guy I knew had died before reaching his 20s and that was far from the time and place to discuss the evidence for and nature of God.

But if the same guy rocked up to my house tomorrow and asked me that question, I'd tell him no. But if my grandparents were within earshot I'd give a more greyscale answer, so the response changes yet again with the circumstances.

Debating a Christian is rarely worth it. The arguments tend to get pretty drawn out and since God isn't a logical concept they'll have learned to perform all kinds of mental and semantic gymnastics to justify their own beliefs and they won't be ashamed to pull out those stops given half a chance. Have you ever tried nailing jelly to a wall?