Goodbye Jesus

Poll: Would You Support Chick-Fil-A?

Lilith666

Didn't the same thing happen with Oreos a while back, only in reverse?

I stopped fancying the idea of patronizing CFA when I found out they were anti-gay years ago.

Keep in mind that they don't just speak out against marriage equality; they donate to anti-gay groups. Also remember that the Chicago mayors are abridging CFA's free speech rights by banning them from putting up more sites in the city based on their opinion and how they spend their money.

I think the move to ban CFA is stupid. It's garnering sympathy from free speech-lovers who might not otherwise give their money to that fast-food chain. They can't ban it everywhere, obviously, so what is the point? People still love chicken sandwiches and some people still hate homosexuality.

Also, there are other ways to back the First Amendment without subsidizing prejudice: Protest the ban. Write to the mayors and remind them that we have a Constitution that grants citizens certain rights. But please don't help rob gays of their rights.

I would not have a problem with CFA if Dan Cathy had simply said he's against gay marriage and left it at that. But he had to go and donate the company's money to anti-equality organizations.

To everyone who asks why people think it's all right for pro-gays to have their views but conservatives can't have theirs: People have always disagreed with each other and debates are bound to get heated. Anger and probably hatred are on both sides, so nobody is innocent. It used to be that gays and their supporters were reviled by conservatives. That's how history goes--deal with it.

They have free speech rights. They weren't abridged. But I also think they have freedom to "build" and if they were actually denied a building permit (were they?) based on their anti-gay stance then Mr CFA ought to sue the city of Boston. But if he waits a few months everyone will forget about it...sorta like http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/one-million-moms-drop-ellen-degeneres-jc-penney-boycott-297744.

The public's give-a-shit attention span is short. We get tired of being shocked and appalled by the same story for too long. CFA is approaching that limit right now. :-)

CFA is simply the most visible bigoted symbol to attack. Thus the reason why all the attention. It is being used by both sides as different symbol.

If I started a corporation, and it was anti-christian and supported the most hateful anti-christian organization I could find. Christians in america would do the same thing that the rest of us are trying to do to CFA.

It is a symbol. Once it has run it's course things will continue on much as they did before. CFA will still exist. They will probably close stores in places were they pressure got to much and sales became unprofitable. But those will only be in a few locations.

The fact is most people in the US could really care less. They will most likely continue to go there because they like the food.

Personally, I won't, but it has little to do with the politics of the owner. I just don't like CFA. Which, I got roundly mocked for by the guys at work.

You doesn't like CFA? Next thing you'll say is you don't like Jesus. O,o

Apparently, Dan Cathy believes that those who "have the audacity to define what marriage is about" are "inviting God's judgment on the nation".

So all he wants is to avoid, as much as possible, God's judgment on the nation. Sounds like he wishes to make a difference and make the world a better place.

The funny thing is that not too long ago, all of us were Christians and probably would have agreed with him.

ha ha ha huuuuh... we're all stupid.

By the way I voted no.

Dan Cathy has a girly man name. :-)

tumblr_m86es8262D1qjqzoeo2_250.gif

tumblr_m86es8262D1qjqzoeo3_250.gif

tumblr_m86es8262D1qjqzoeo5_250.gif

• Like 2

I don't eat at Chit-fil-A because I already have twice in the past and was sickened both times. That was enough for me. My wife was a witness. that's also why I quit eating at Burger King, and Wendy's. When I am hungry, I want FOOD! The best food I eat is at the local Mexican restaurant.

Keep in mind that they don't just speak out against marriage equality; they donate to anti-gay groups. Also remember that the Chicago mayors are abridging CFA's free speech rights by banning them from putting up more sites in the city based on their opinion and how they spend their money.

I think the move to ban CFA is stupid. It's garnering sympathy from free speech-lovers who might not otherwise give their money to that fast-food chain. They can't ban it everywhere, obviously, so what is the point? People still love chicken sandwiches and some people still hate

homosexuality.

Also, there are other ways to back the First Amendment without subsidizing prejudice: Protest the ban. Write to the mayors and remind them that we have a Constitution that grants citizens certain rights. But please don't help

rob gays of their rights.

I would not have a problem with CFA if Dan Cathy had simply said he's against gay marriage and left it at that. But he had to go and donate the company's money to anti-equality organizations.

To everyone who asks why people think it's all right for pro-gays to have

their views but conservatives can't have theirs: People have always disagreed with each other and debates are bound to get heated. Anger

and probably hatred are on both sides, so nobody is innocent. It used to

be that gays and their supporters were reviled by conservatives. That's how

history goes--deal with it.

They have free speech rights. They weren't abridged. But I also think they have freedom to "build" and if they were actually denied a building permit (were they?) based on their anti-gay stance then Mr CFA ought to sue the city of Boston. But if he waits a few months everyone will forget about

it...sorta like http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/one-million-moms-

drop-ellen-degeneres-jc-penney-boycott-297744.

The public's give-a-shit attention span is short. We get tired of being shocked and appalled by the same story for too long. CFA is approaching

that limit right now. :-)

You really think this is about novelty and shock value? What a sad thought. If it's true, it casts a self-absorbed light on people. Though I thought it's because the public cares.

So many reasons not to eat at a CFA: The closest one is 100 miles away, it's fast food, there's probably a subway or a panera nearby, and they donate money to hate groups.

Still, I hope no one here follows the lead of this asshole:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hh_Wh8eCII

For me, the issue is not so much that the company is opposed to something, but that they are so vocal about it. I am just so tired of Christian hate and fear.

Other huge issues for me, however, when it comes to "Christian" businesses like Chick-fil-A are:

1. How are their animals treated? Do they purchase chickens from ethical sources where they are raised humanely and slaughtered humanely?
  2. How is their menu supportive of health and wellbeing? Does their menu support the "body as a temple of the holy spirit"?
  3. How ethical and humanistic are their business practices? How well do they treat their employees? Is it a sweat shop or is it a humanistic endeavour? Does everyone have full time positions and medical coverage?
  4. What is their goal and mission as an organization? Is their goal to get rich, or to make the world a better place?

God "led" (their word) a local family to run a puppy mill, feeding the dogs (which are outside 24/7/365, even in -40C) fresh kill rabbits (they wring their necks, after they have been born and raised in a barn without natural light). Yup, nothing like God leading one into business.

That guy got in a shitload of trouble, I hear. Lost his job, a variety of personal attacks. Can't say he didn't deserve some sort of fallout after being such a jackass, but doing that and being a visible part of a very PR-sensitive business (medical sales or something) is pretty stupid.

I didn't care how anti-gay CFA's CEO was until I found out what they were doing with that intolerance. What shocks me worse is the fundies who are trying to go out of their way to be "nice" bigots. They want intolerance made law. They don't want to allow gays the right to love who they want, marry who they want, and live free of fear. BUT HERE'S A COOKIE AND A HUG. DAFUQ!

They have free speech rights. They weren't abridged.

Actually, the first amendment guarantees freedom of speech to individuals, not corporations. Dan Cathy has the right to a personal opinion on the matter but when he extends that opinion to his corporation, it is an entirely different segment of law. The first amendment has nothing to do with it at that point.

• Like 2

Actually, the first amendment guarantees freedom of speech to individuals, not corporations. Dan Cathy has the right to a personal opinion on the matter but when he extends that opinion to his corporation, it is an entirely different segment of law. The first amendment has nothing to do with it at that point.

I'm not sure this is accurate; in fact, after the Citizens United case, I'm positive it's not. Free speech isn't an issue here though. Free speech protection is protection from government. The government isn't telling this corporation they can't express their opinion. Fundies who complain that others are abridging their free speech here don't have a clue what free speech entails.

Fundies have a unique take on a lot of different phrases. "Family" means "SAHM, working daddy, and as many kids as you can push out of your wife's clown-car vagina, and everybody's in church every Sunday." "Values" mean "the values we think come from our Bronze Age mythology book, and we'll act like that even if we haven't actually read that book ourselves." "Helping me" means "rescuing me from the consequences of my own bad decisions." "Working with me" actually means "giving me whatever I said I wanted regardless of the chaos it'd cause for you." And "Free Speech" means "letting me enshrine my weird 'values' into law and having my way every time."

If you can't win by logic, win by redefining the terms.

I'm not sure this is accurate; in fact, after the Citizens United case, I'm positive it's not. Free speech isn't an issue here though. Free speech protection is protection from government. The government isn't telling this corporation they can't express their opinion. Fundies who complain that others are abridging their free speech here don't have a clue what free speech entails.

You have freedom of speech not freedom from consequence. The police won't go arresting Cathy for his speech, but there was a social backlash, there was consequence.

Guest Babylonian Dream

Yes, because marriage should be defined as one man and one woman as the lord your god commanded.

I put no, while I do think they have a right to free speech, paying hate groups to limit the rights of minorities (gay or not (even if it were to limit religious rights)), or limit anyone's rights, doesn't constitute free speech. Saying you don't like such is, and I support the KKK's right to free speech, but I also support my right and everyone else's right to speak up showing them how they're ignorant and uncivilized barbarians.

Anyone remember when anti gay activists threatened to boycott Oreos for supporting the "gay agenda?" And now they throw hissy fits over gay rights activists boycotting something they like. Oh hypocrisy.

392363_453110704711635_968288715_n.jpg

I'm still very upset to know that cookie isn't real.

I don't support Chick-Fil-A because I'm a vegan!!

But In all seriousness, I'm a libertarian and UU ...Let 'em do whatever the hell they want with their $$, I don't care Wendyshrug.gif

You have freedom of speech not freedom from consequence. The police won't go arresting Cathy for his speech, but there was a social backlash, there was consequence.

The reality is, Cathy has a right to express his opinions and others have the right to shout him down or even boycott him for those opinions. Both are expressions of freedom of speech. Freedom of speech is not compromised unless the government steps in and tries to limit one of these two in one way or another.

I wouldn't support them because they don't need my support.

I think there's a petition going around to Oreo to make rainbow cookies.

BDP makes a fine point. Jesus is taking care of them. As I can see from the examples of absolutely no tornadoes in the South, super-ultra-mega-plus-low crime rates among Christians, and the complete and total lack of disability/welfare claims in states with a terrier grip on Christianity, he takes fine care of his peeps. He doesn't need my help.

I'm still very upset to know that cookie isn't real.

So was I. It looks amazing.

I think there's a petition going around to Oreo to make rainbow cookies.

BDP makes a fine point. Jesus is taking care of them. As I can see from the examples of absolutely no tornadoes in the South, super-ultra-mega-plus-low crime rates among Christians, and the complete and total lack of disability/welfare claims in states with a terrier grip on Christianity, he takes fine care of his peeps. He doesn't need my help.

I'm not an Oreo lover but I could really get into the rainbow filling, mostly because it's huge and fun. I'll bet if they do a rainbow middle it will be swirled. :(

Ya know, all chik-fil-a needs to do to be a success is have all it's employees pray and god will do whatever they ask. That'll teach us heathens! Wendytwitch.gif

Would I support Chick-fil-a? No...but not because I disagree with their position, but for the reason that I have never supported a private business owner's position on relationships and I am not about to pick-up a sign and a stick and picket either for or against. There are millions of businesses across the US and beyond whose CEO's have moral positions to your liking or against. I respect Catheys freedom of speech and how he chooses to spend his earned dollars. That being said, do I agree with his position? Not necessarily. Am I going to stop eating those chicken sandwichs? Hell no. They are damn good.

If I have to qualify every meal I eat with a Q and A on the owner's moral position I am going to miss out on some good food.